Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    opera works pretty darn well, and is quite snappy really...
    which version you tried, there are severals, the 16.0.1212 does not work for me.
  2. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
    Does anyone know if location based apps work?
    I really would like to know this too! What I see by now, they seem not to work (yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    which version you tried, there are severals, the 16.0.1212 does not work for me.
    Opera Mobile 12.10 is working properly
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFaker76 View Post
    Opera Mobile 12.10 is working properly
    Same here. Probably because it's the last version compatible with Android 2.3.
    Yatse - org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree - XBMC Controller - works with RaspberryPI XBMC

Mozilla - org.mozilla.firefox - not that fast but works. No videos.

Opera Mobile 12.10 (via Amazon) - works even with videos (but unsync)

KeepassDroid - com.android.keepass - worked, but checked just creation of new file

Truecrypt - com.sovworks.edslite - worked, created a file and put keepass container and image in. closed and opened again. Files inside can be opend even in webOS, cause they are cached to an internal/Android/....cache folder

RD Client - com.microsoft.rdc.android - works but problems with virtual keyboard: PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL

Adobe Reader v10.6.1 - works
    I can add to that:

- Linkedin app works
    - Citrix receiver app works (however some restrictions with certificates on server side apply. I understand that ACL needs to be rooted to trust self-signed server certificates which many organisations appear to use. I'm still working with my administrator to find out what is easier. Rooting ACL and adding certificate or applying for a known server-side certificate.
    - Alienswarn, kind of Galaga, almost playable, some minor hiccups and controls are a bit 'touchy', but that might be native.

BTW Did anyone manage to get the standard calendar or contacts app working with Exchange? Or is there a known issue with that?

Edit: Also just successfully tested in the category game classics: Pac-man lite (free version). Works good, except when you've been eaten or progress to next level the app freezes for a few seconds. Need to respond quickly to a message that the app has stopped while the game already started.

Oh yes, all apps downloaded from the Amazon app catalog. Have fun!
    Last edited by renater; 10/29/2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: pacman tested
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Oh yes, all apps downloaded from the Amazon app catalog. Have fun!
    any advise how to get Amazon app catalog to display more apps? I not talking about apps that need > Android 3.x, but apps that are 2.3.
    e.g. Angry Birds is Android 2.3 but can't be downloaded, even if "bought in Desktop Browser" it won't cloud sync on ACL. Some other 2.3 apps work, but mostly not the hot ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    any advise how to get Amazon app catalog to display more apps? I not talking about apps that need > Android 3.x, but apps that are 2.3.
    e.g. Angry Birds is Android 2.3 but can't be downloaded, even if "bought in Desktop Browser" it won't cloud sync on ACL. Some other 2.3 apps work, but mostly not the hot ones.
    You can use APK Downloader website to download free APK's from the Play Store and sideload on your TP Unfortunately this doesn't work for paid apps in order to avoid piracy.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Gwidion likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You can use APK Downloader website to download free APK's from the Play Store and sideload on your TP Unfortunately this doesn't work for paid apps in order to avoid piracy.
    If you install and configure the APK downloader extension for Chrome with the Device ID from a CM7/9/10 install on a TouchPad (or another legit Android device I'd venture) you can download any APKs for apps you have already purchased to sideload.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Gwidion likes this.
    Also working:

Humble Bundle - can sign up, sign in, download and install apps. So far I installed the following two:

Crayon Physics Deluxe - works, although a bit slow and taps on the screen are few milimeters off

Canabalt HD - works
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    I wouldn't have a clue. I noticed a couple of times that it seems to be recognised as a kindle of some kind, which might be the reason that the choice is restricted. Guess this can only be fixed by either Amazon correctly recognising the capabilities of the device or PIC/OM to ensure it is recognised correctly.
    Or wait until we have access to the Android market (maybe next release?).
    Hello Everyone,

at phxdevices.com we have recently opened up a ACL Applications section showing all of the different type of applicatiosn you can run on your TouchPad using ACL.

The great thing about this is that we realize we can't name every application ourselves so we have made it possible for all of you to openly submit your own Application Reviews and how each app runs.

ACL Applications Reviews
    --> here you can see the reviews that our members have actually done! (use the just type! field to search one in particular)
    As well your future reviews will appear there!

If you are interested in submitting your own application reviews and comments, please check out our helpful "how to" guide by going here:

Follow the guidelines to write your review HERE!

And... CREATE YOUR OWN REVIEW HERE!

If all possible, we would really like everyones reviews and comments on the ACL applications on phxdevices.com. This will allow us to constnatly follow how each application works and give comments back to OpenMobile without having to check multiple forums.

Dan - PIC
    Last edited by DMeister; 11/03/2013 at 12:22 PM.
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    renater, CptOx and MikeN68 like this.
    Dez Bryant video on the NFL MOBILE APP for Android viewed on an HP Touchpad GO running ACL for webOS TouchPad from PIC and Open Mobile!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbIVsEP8bXw[/YT]

Video and audio in perfect sync - Apologies for the low quality overall. The video is crystal clear on the GO!.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    cbosdell and AnitaOM like this.
    Folks, can you stream amazon videos (prime or otherwise) and if so what browser are you using?
    I seem to be a computer/tablet illiterate can anyone teach me on how to install application on ACL right on the touchpad or does a computer is needed to instal APK files?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I seem to be a computer/tablet illiterate can anyone teach me on how to install application on ACL right on the touchpad or does a computer is needed to instal APK files?
    Es pointed out in several comments in this thread:
    1. You can use AppMall
    2. You can sideload via Webbrowser
    3. You can install amazon's Appstore
    The easiest way is the AppMall from Openmobile.

Me personally had download the Totalcomander and install it afterwards.
    After this I was able to install APK direct from media Partition
    I downloaded the apk files for all of my apps that weren't on webOS but I had either on my iPhone or CM10 and tried them on ACL. Below is a list of my findings.

Apps - Working:
    Adobe Flash Player 11.1
    Box.com
    CPU-Z
    Crackle
    Credit Karma
    DailyHoroscope
    Drawing Pad
    eBay
    Firefox (Version 24)
    FoxIt PDF
    Google+ (Version 3.5.3 works after installing Google Market)
    gReader (for Feedly feeds)
    HBO Go
    I'd Cap That 2 (Not very useful though as I don't often take pictures via my tablet)
    IMDB
    Instagram
    JetBlue
    Kik Messenger
    LinkedIn
    Mint
    Netflix
    Opera 12.10
    Photoshop Express
    Snapchat (Not really that useful though without ACL working with the front camera on the TouchPad)
    Soundcloud
    Steam
    Tumblr
    Vevo
    Wikipedia

Apps - Not Working:
    BBM (refused to install)
    Bump (refused to install)
    Calorie Counter by FatSecret (refused to install)
    Feedly (refused to install)
    Hulu+ (refused to install)
    iTriage (refused to install)
    Mixology (refused to install)
    PenSupremacy (finally got it to install but crashes on opening notebook)
    Poynt (even with Google Market and Services Framework installed gives an error it needs Google Play Framework)
    Redlaser (Was able to sideload version 2.1.2 but app has limited functionality since ACL has no access to camera but is good for manually typing in barcode or product name for price comparison)
    Tapatalk (refused to install)
    Vine (refused to install)
    Vlingo (installs but not useful since no ACL microphone access)
    Wolfram Alpha (refused to install)
    YouTube (seems to cause ACL to crash with the error: The application YouTube (process com.google.android.youtube) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. This error also presents itself on device boot with YouTube installed)

Games - Working:
    Angry Birds Space
    Angry Birds Star Wars
    Cut the Rope
    Cut the Rope: Experiments
    Flow Free
    Flow Free: Bridges
    Humans vs. Aliens
    Lemonade Stand
    Minesweeper Classic
    Osmos HD
    Paper Toss 2.0 (graphics look really poor though and there is some lag)
    Plants vs. Zombies
    Plants vs. Zombies 2
    Snake
    Tap It!
    Tic Tac Toe Free
    World of Goo

Games - Not Working:
    Atari Greatest Hits (refused to install)
    Doodle Jump (does not work on my TouchPad Go as it appears it is detecting the device being held in the opposite orientation than it is being held but probably would work on a TP/TP4G)
    Fruit Ninja (refused to install)
    Last edited by cbosdell; 11/03/2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Apps - Not Working:
    BBM (refused to install)
    Thank you for sharing your findings. BBM requires Android 4.x. I assume this applies also to the other apps which refused to install. At least for Tapatalk I'm quite sure that it requires 4.x, too.
    Pre≥ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    is it possible that "capturing" an apk on an 4.x (CM9/10) device, as some of you do, could perhaps only be a 4.x only version (not working on ACL) but an 2.x compatible version could be still available if downloaded e.g. via "APK Downloader [Latest] Download Directly | (Evozi Official)" or chrome extension as a single APK for multiple android versions (multiple API versions)?

I refer to:
    Multiple APK Support | Android Developers
    MikeN68 likes this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    This is a problem we will be seeing a lot of until we have a full catalog of apps for 2.3.6.

Android Drawer - Android Apps .apk Repository holds a repository of APK's but does not list the Android version they work on. Usually Google can help, but trial and error could be the only way for some apps!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast