Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    Now that the ACL "preview" Beta is in full swing, Some of us are experiencing difficulties in getting Google Market and/or Amazon Apps to work. so instead of sifting through the numerous posts over at the ACL thread, I figuered we could start a specific thread on troubleshooting this problem.

Form what I've gathered a few people have gotten the Google market to work through various methods, however others(including myself) have tried said methods only for it not to work out so well. Hopefully we can lock this down so its not such a hassle to get either of these in a stable condition. i.e not disappearing after reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrxblanchard View Post
    Now that the ACL "preview" Beta is in full swing, Some of us are experiencing difficulties in getting Google Market and/or Amazon Apps to work. so instead of sifting through the numerous posts over at the ACL thread, I figuered we could start a specific thread on troubleshooting this problem.

Form what I've gathered a few people have gotten the Google market to work through various methods, however others(including myself) have tried said methods only for it not to work out so well. Hopefully we can lock this down so its not such a hassle to get either of these in a stable condition. i.e not disappearing after reboot.

Take a look at my post and see if it helps...

PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL

Here is my step by step

Depending on the version of ACL you have beta 0.6.x or release 1.0.1/1.2.0 the beta used /opt/omww and the release uses /media/omww... So modified below with [opt|media] if using the beta use opt if release use media...

Added JB_Play_Store.apk if you want Google Play Store to function (from post #64, WDPage, even paid apps work)...
    Do not copy both JB_Play_Store.apk or vending-3.1.3-signed.apk select only one)

1) Goto the URL download the gapps package, DO NOT FOLLOW THE URL'S DIRECTIONS (as it is for another tablet).
    2) Unzip the gapps package.
    3) Copy the three APK files OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk, GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk, and [JB_Play_Store.apk or vending-3.1.3-signed.apk] to your Touchpad USB media drive (either by disabling ACL, or WIFI sharing)...
    4) Make sure ACL is enabled (which allows system to be mounted).
    5) Remount system read/write mount -o remount,rw /[opt|media]/omww/android/system
    6) Copy the three APK files above to /[opt|media]/omww/android/system/app
    7) Change there modes chmod 0644 APK file (replace APK file with the file names above).
    8) Validate vending app is still there (some reported that it gets deleted) ls -l
    9) Remount system read only mount -o remount,ro /[opt|media]/omww/android/system
    10) Reboot Touchpad
    11) Validate all APK are still there, if not repeat process of the APK that is missing...
    12) Reboot, Validate
    13) Reboot, Validate
    14) Reboot, Validate
    15) Ok enough if they are still there the they will normally stay...
    16) Launch market, sign-in or create new, please be patient it seems that it is working in the background and does not accept all tap inputs... keep trying.... keep trying...
    17) If one of the APK's disappear repeat process...
    18) Once you click done it will come up with a sync and finish page click finish.. wait wait wait..
    19) I had to close market and reboot the Touchpad, but it worked given enough time...
    20) Enjoy the market...
    21) Smile...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 03/10/2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added TTB read only step...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for posting that, now it brings up other questions. I've been trying to install three apk's. 1. GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk 2.OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk and 3 vending-3.1.3-signed.apk In that order.

The post you linked to has 1. OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk 2. SetupWizard.apk 3. vending-3.1.3-signed.apk in that order.
    The farthest I've been able to get is being signed in to Google Apps, but when ever I clicked on an app I would get "Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. and the market would crash(force close)

Ive copied the three apk's over to systems/app not exactly sure on how to chmod them to 0644 but i did set all the permission to +r +w +x via Internalz, (I'm assuming this is the same thing, please correct me if I'm wrong)
    and still the market launches just fine, but when I touch an app to view the details in just crashes.

Plus every time I reboot my TouchPad the Amazon apps disappears and I have to reinstall and sign in again.
    Thanks for posting that, now it brings up other questions. I've been trying to install three apk's. 1. GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk 2.OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk and 3 vending-3.1.3-signed.apk In that order.

The post you linked to has 1. OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk 2. SetupWizard.apk 3. vending-3.1.3-signed.apk in that order.
    The farthest I've been able to get is being signed in to Google Apps, but when ever I clicked on an app I would get "Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. and the market would crash(force close)

Ive copied the three apk's over to systems/app not exactly sure on how to chmod them to 0644 but i did set all the permission to +r +w +x via Internalz, (I'm assuming this is the same thing, please correct me if I'm wrong)
    and still the market launches just fine, but when I touch an app to view the details in just crashes.

Plus every time I reboot my TouchPad the Amazon apps disappears and I have to reinstall and sign in again.
    Yes the URL talks about other APKS... I referred to three APKS non were SetupWizard.apk... Do not follow the URL advise as it is for another tablet (Updated my first post)... I am telling you I installed the three (well four I also installed the Talk-signed.apk to also get Google Talk working as Hangouts would not work for me).

I can not answer to you concerning Amazon App market I have not attempted installing that Market, I wanted Google Market (as Google Play will not work), that was my only Market (I also deleted the OpenMobile AppMall app (had to remove the webOS stub app as well on one machine) the other removed it nicely).

I have used the market several times, installed es file manager, firefox, Netflix, and other apps just to test, so far I have not had any issues, now that is not saying Android is stable, I have seen my fair share of Android (Gingerbread, Ice Cream, and Jelly Bean) forced closed messages...

I can only report and post what I have done and tested...

FYI to change a files mode use the command chmod so I want to change Talk-signed.apk mode I would type (from novaterm, or some terminal on webOS): chmod 0644 Talk-signed.apk

If you then list the directory (ls -l) you will see it has the same permissions as the other APK's in system/app.
  5.    #5  
    Ok so after starting clean, and following your instructions I was able to get it working... Almost.
    I can install free apps however they disappear after a few moments. Now it says not enough room to install, and it won't let me install anything.( I have yet to reboot after the first failure)
    still whenever I click on any paid app it crashes.
    Ok so after starting clean, and following your instructions I was able to get it working... Almost.
    I can install free apps however they disappear after a few moments. Now it says not enough room to install, and it won't let me install anything.( I have yet to reboot after the first failure)
    still whenever I click on any paid app it crashes.
    I would reboot and report back, as rebooting or launching another app normally allows the next app to install.
    Paid apps will not work at this time, other parts of Android are missing, from my understanding never tried.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I would reboot and report back, as rebooting or launching another app normally allows the next app to install.
    Paid apps will not work at this time, other parts of Android are missing, from my understanding never tried.
    After reboot, it still didn't work, but after a few minutes I tried again and was able to install dropbox, but as usual it disappeared moments later and is now saying insufficient space on device.
    After reboot, it still didn't work, but after a few minutes I tried again and was able to install dropbox, but as usual it disappeared moments later and is now saying insufficient space on device.
    Not sure what to do from here, my apps have installed and not disappeared, so I can not tell you why that is happening to you?
    I installed the apk files, got it all connected to my google account, but the market app itself doesn't appear anywhere :-(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    So we can't buy apps now? If that's so, I will hold off messing with the Market for now.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    So we can't buy apps now? If that's so, I will hold off messing with the Market for now.
    Sorry I have not purchased apps, if you have a Google Account and you have another Android device and you have purchased an app, I would like to know if you can download and install that app.

But I have not purchased an app thru the Google Market/Google Play App store so I can't say if you can or can not buy apps...

That does not mean you can't just means I have not tried it, from my understanding there is more APK's and binary files that need to be installed to do that, but the stock build might have those? My experience with older android is light, supported my wifes old Motorola Droid (which was frozen yogurt 2.2.3, FRK76), so I am not sure all of the files that need to be there.
  12.    #12  
    Not sure what to do from here, my apps have installed and not disappeared, so I can not tell you why that is happening to you?
    Well it seems after I download anything from the Market I have to go into Settings-applications-manage apps-market and then clear the cache, then reload the Market and that seems to work as far as downloading other app.
    However most apps I have downloaded still disappear for seemingly no reason.
    a few of them show up in settings-applications-manage apps, but have no Icon, some have a broken icon and don't show up in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I installed the apk files, got it all connected to my google account, but the market app itself doesn't appear anywhere :-(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Following John's post #2 I was able to get it working on my TouchPad. Hopefully that will work for every one else. If you haven't tried it I would suggest uninstalling/deleting anything to do with the Market, rebooting and start over with step one. Hopefully it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    That's my understanding at the moment, especially since the Market just crashes when I try to view any paid app, Unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Installed, but very slow and inconsistent - seem to freeze often.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I got it working at last. I did not rename the files though. They are named without the "-signed" and without the version number for the vendor apk. What is that to cause?

I still have issues:
    - Now webOS boots with launching the Android home screen in a card.
    - Everytime I run Market I need to accept terms & conditions
    - It seems to not save settings for apps. I downloaded jelly bean keybaord and I ACL always reverts to the default keyboard everytime I select the Jelly Bean KBD
    guys!!!...

man..ACL is not the final release. And the funny part is that all those who are installing it, and complaining that it is not working as 'advertised"... WAIT for the final release... for those who cannot stand the drama of using a beta version software..

take it easy...no need to rush... Webos is not going anyway..whether ACL is alpha, beta or ready for launch.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    We're not complaining, we're listing issues, to help improve ACL for a fully working stable release...
    Mutoidi likes this.
    hehe..is this the right channel to pass to them an issue list? Should they not have a proper forum for this?..If I'm an outside person looking at this thread and others on ACL - i'd be scared to install or invest in it right now given the perceived instability..
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    They have, and at least I have posted the issues there as well.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    They are aware of the forums and know people come here to make comments and share their views. As the community here is so very helpful, most of the time someone else has encountered their issue and can advise direct.

PIC have also commented a number of times on posts, either direct in the thread or by PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Some progress with Market:

- I re-installed using the vending.apk for Android 2.3.4 as that for 2.3.5/2.3.6 failed.

- On reboots the Android Market Icon remains persistent.

- During setup it connected to my Google account and I was able to download and install previously purchased apps (from "My Apps") e.g. MX Player Pro. On reboot, the icons appeared and I was able to execute MX Player Pro with an on-device music video file. It played perfectly in sync. However, MX Player Pro fails after a few minutes with error message indicating "The Product Purchase History Could Not be Verified...".

- Selecting an unpurchased non-free app from the Market app resulted in a crash of the Market app. Selecting a previously purchased app gave me the option to "Open" (execute) it.

- The "My Apps" section only includes a very small subset of compatible apps (~30) compared to my HTC Desire which runs 2.3.5. Perhaps someone can tweak the build prop...

- Using Chrome on my desktop at my Play Store account, the new device shows up as "OpenMobile Word Wide Hp Touchpad with ACL" (Same as that under my Amazon's registered Android Devices).

- Using Chrome I found Gmail (not shown as compatible from the Touchpad Market App) and it was listed as compatible so I initiated an install from Chrome. The install did not automatically execute on the Touchpad (as is the case for Android devices) but Gmail was then listed as compatible within the Market app. I installed it. On execution it linked to my account and "waited to sync" without success.

See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eKeith; 10/21/2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Corrected Typos
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast