Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    John,
    I appreciate all your help. I understand the concept of what your saying and will try to stay away from working on the android side of things.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    John,

OK, basically followed your instructions (again thanks) but also did some trial and error installing and managed to get the Play store running on both Touchpads running v1.2.0.3.

Basically just substituted the below into your instructions, using the APK's extracted from:

Gapps from [Update]Latest gapps for 2.3/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3[14.12.2013] - xda-developers version: Gapps 2.3.5-2.3.7

marketupdater
    onetimeinitialiser
    vending
    googleservicesframework

copy to media/omww/android/system/apps without changing their name.

This actually prompted the Android Launcher to start where I clicked on all apps, and then Play store.

I went through the sign up/in procedure

Changed the path back to read only

restarted

checked and Play stayed. I can also purchase items from the Play Store (tested with Cut the Rope - 74p)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    John,

OK, basically followed your instructions (again thanks) but also did some trial and error installing and managed to get the Play store running on both Touchpads running v1.2.0.3.

Basically just substituted the below into your instructions, using the APK's extracted from:

Gapps from [Update]Latest gapps for 2.3/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3[14.12.2013] - xda-developers version: Gapps 2.3.5-2.3.7

marketupdater
    onetimeinitialiser
    vending
    googleservicesframework

This actually prompted the Android Launcher to start where I clicked on all apps, and then Play store.

restarted

checked and Play stayed. I can also purchase items from the Play Store (tested with Cut the Rope - 74p)
    Thanks for the added detail of how you got it working!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    John,

marketupdater
    onetimeinitialiser
    vending
    googleservicesframework

restarted

The Gapps files from the MikeN68 link didn't work for me. After copying the files I followed the instructions to go to apps and open the Play Store from the Android Launcher that popped up. When I clicked the Ok button to get to account information input the window just flew away. I tried it a number of different ways (re-boots, un-installs and re-copies in different orders, etc.), with the same results.

Using the instructions from John Steffes (Google market and Amazon apps for ACL) to get Google Market installed has worked perfectly for me in all versions of ACL.

I am currently running ACL on a 32Gb WiFi TP with UberKernel overclocked and LunaCE 4.9.10. ACL is running fine (rooted), and all apps are working well.

I do have Google Play working now. But this is what has worked for me:

I followed the instructions from John Steffes as above, but instead of the vending-3.1.3-signed.apk I copied the JB_Play_Store.apk and now have the Play Store instead of the Market app.

Play Store has been working fine for me for two days, including paid apps and updating older apps (except for ES File Explorer, which gets an error on update). Has continued to work through multiple reboots.

Hope this feedback help some of you.

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by WDPage View Post
    The Gapps files from the MikeN68 link didn't work for me. After copying the files I followed the instructions to go to apps and open the Play Store from the Android Launcher that popped up. When I clicked the Ok button to get to account information input the window just flew away. I tried it a number of different ways (re-boots, un-installs and re-copies in different orders, etc.), with the same results.

Using the instructions from John Steffes (Google market and Amazon apps for ACL) to get Google Market installed has worked perfectly for me in all versions of ACL.

I am currently running ACL on a 32Gb WiFi TP with UberKernel overclocked and LunaCE 4.9.10. ACL is running fine (rooted), and all apps are working well.

I do have Google Play working now. But this is what has worked for me:

I followed the instructions from John Steffes as above, but instead of the vending-3.1.3-signed.apk I copied the JB_Play_Store.apk and now have the Play Store instead of the Market app.

Play Store has been working fine for me for two days, including paid apps and updating older apps (except for ES File Explorer, which gets an error on update). Has continued to work through multiple reboots.

Hope this feedback help some of you.

Wayne
    Wow I did not play (with changing from Market to Google Play) until tonight, installed the SetupWizard and the JB play store, removed the Vending (had to reboot a few times)...

Wow it walked me thru, updated the Play Store to v4.5.10, so I used Android Assistant to backup the update, removed JB and installed PlayStore V4.5.10 that was downloaded... it worked.... No more Market now Fully Play Stored... Cool did not know it would do that...

Played a little more (all are now system apps), so now I have Google Play Store V4.5.10, Google Play Books V3.1.32, Google Play Movies & TV V3.0.25, Google Newsstand V3.1.0, Google Search V1.3.3.247963, Gmail V2.3.6, Talk V1.3 (Hangout's would not work wanted Google Play services, although I attempted to sideload it looks like it is for Ice Cream or above), also from the above MikeN68 link took the GoogleBackupTransport.apk V2.3, GooglePartnerSetup.apk V2.3.3, and GoogleFeedback.apk V2.3.3, not sure if they will get used but will test... So I will keep on playing with this...

Not that there was anything wrong with the Google Market, but tinkering is fun...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 03/05/2014 at 10:38 PM.
    WDPage likes this.
    I did what WDPage did above with success. Much thanks to those who pioneered this as the Mobile Mall is rather sparse.

I noticed now that an Android desktop awaits me after rebooting the TouchPad -- no biggie. What what I cannot do is get to an application from a web link. For instance, I am trying to install Microsoft's Remote Desktop. It does not turn up in a search in the Play Store but I can find it on the web. When I click on the "Install" link on a web site, I get the options to open it in the Mobile Mall, Browser, or Opera, but not in the Play Store.
    Last edited by AlanRII; 03/11/2014 at 06:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanRII View Post
    I did what JDPage did above with success. Much thanks to those who pioneered this as the Mobile Mall is rather sparse.

I noticed now that an Android desktop awaits me after rebooting the TouchPad -- no biggie. What what I cannot do is get to an application from a web link. For instance, I am trying to install Microsoft's Remote Desktop. It does not turn up in a search in the Play Store but I can find it on the web. When I click on the "Install" link on a web site, I get the options to open it in the Mobile Mall, Browser, or Opera, but not in the Play Store.
    That is because there app is the default store... Unless you remove their store and ACL+ there store will always be the default.
    Dear Lord, some of the other threads are dozens of pages long... I'm trying to find instructions on removing these two programs but no luck. I'll go digging some more, but I would greatly appreciate a pointer to the instructions or instructions on how to do so. Thanks, again.
    All of this is working just fine on my Go as well. Now if we could just fool the Play Store into thinking our devices are compatible with 99% of the apps on there.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    That is because there app is the default store... Unless you remove their store and ACL+ there store will always be the default.
    I found another of your posts which detail how to remove the applications -- easy, opposite of installing. Anyway, I have removed ACL+ and the AppMall but I still cannot get web pages to link to the Play Store. Do I need to remove and then re-install the Google apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanRII View Post
    I found another of your posts which detail how to remove the applications -- easy, opposite of installing. Anyway, I have removed ACL+ and the AppMall but I still cannot get web pages to link to the Play Store. Do I need to remove and then re-install the Google apps?
    I installed Google Play/Market, as part of my install of ACL (I have ripped apart their installer) and re-packaged it into my own, which allows me to have Google Play Store as the default (as well as being rooted), so I am not sure why the web apps default to the Google Play store for me, might be because I never had another App Store, could be something stored in your user profile? I do not know Android as much as I know the ins/outs of webOS or Linux.
    I noticed after installing the play store, services, etc., that the latest version of YouTube decided not to open anymore. Clicking on it a second time gives a 'package not installed' error. Weird.
    Follow me on Twitter
    I installed Google Play/Market, as part of my install of ACL (I have ripped apart their installer) and re-packaged it into my own, which allows me to have Google Play Store as the default (as well as being rooted), so I am not sure why the web apps default to the Google Play store for me, might be because I never had another App Store, could be something stored in your user profile? I do not know Android as much as I know the ins/outs of webOS or Linux.
    Understood. I also figured out that the Microsoft Remote Desktop application, in particular, is shown as incompatible with my version of Android. That could be part of it. I will hunt around some more for compatible applications and see how those react. It could very well be that you have only ever had the Android market, but it seems to me there is a setting somewhere in the system to fix that. More digging around will need to be done, and I will report if I discover anything useful.
    Has anyone been able to hash out some changes to the build.prop to fool the Google Play store into showing more compatible apps? I wonder if the build.prop from one of the CM TP builds would work.
    Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Has anyone been able to hash out some changes to the build.prop to fool the Google Play store into showing more compatible apps? I wonder if the build.prop from one of the CM TP builds would work.
    Yes, it should work, but you need only ro.build.fingerprint from it. Also you need xml permissions files, which you can simply get by mounting /dev/mapper/store-cm--system, then copy etc/permissions folder to ACL analog(but create backup before this).
    Not solved yet, but I see now that I haven't read this thread nearly close enough. My questions is answered here!!!
    I'm starting all over and will come back if I get stocked in the process.

Martin :-)

Take a look at my post and see if it helps...
    4) Make sure ACL is enabled (which allows system to be mounted).
    5) Remount system read/write mount -o remount,rw /[opt|media]/omww/android/system
    7) Change there modes chmod 0644 APK file (replace APK file with the file names above).
    4) How do I make sure ACL is enabled?
    Does that just mean that android apps can run on the TP?

5)How do I "Remount system read/write mount -o remount,rw /[opt|media]/omww/android/system"
    Should I use an android terminal or a webos terminal....or from my computer?
    And should I use sudo?

7)I'm using Ubuntu so I know about chmod, but how does that work in ACL/WebOS?

I had an "accident" a couple of weeks ago where my TP rebooted and everything was wiped afterwards.
    Before that ACL worked perfect and I had followed your advise from
    PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL (post #1263)
    I don't recall that I chmod'ed anything but Google Market worked allright.
    Now I can't get it to work.
    I have ACL 1.2.0.3 and a doctored TP with WebOS 3.0.5. Preware is installed as well.

Best regards

EDIT: Maybe it's not the right thread, but anyway....This android "desktop" that sometimes pops up. Why does it do that and how do I make it do it deliberately.

EDIT: I have read more carefully. I see you wright about chmod in post #4. I'll try that.
    Last edited by martinjochimsen; 04/08/2014 at 03:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinjochimsen View Post
    4) How do I make sure ACL is enabled?
    Does that just mean that android apps can run on the TP?
    Just make sure that the system has mounted the system.img is what I was looking for, when installing the older version did not mount the system.img after the install only after the first reboot.

5)How do I "Remount system read/write mount -o remount,rw /[opt|media]/omww/android/system"
    Should I use an android terminal or a webos terminal....or from my computer?
    And should I use sudo?
    You do this from the webOS device either wterm or novaterm from a PC to webOS, this is NOT done on in ANDROID or on a Desktop, but thru a DESKTOP or on device.

7)I'm using Ubuntu so I know about chmod, but how does that work in ACL/WebOS?
    It does not only on device will chmod work...

I had an "accident" a couple of weeks ago where my TP rebooted and everything was wiped afterwards.
    Before that ACL worked perfect and I had followed your advise from
    PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL (post #1263)
    I don't recall that I chmod'ed anything but Google Market worked allright.
    Now I can't get it to work.
    I have ACL 1.2.0.3 and a doctored TP with WebOS 3.0.5. Preware is installed as well.

Best regards

EDIT: Maybe it's not the right thread, but anyway....This android "desktop" that sometimes pops up. Why does it do that and how do I make it do it deliberately.

EDIT: I have read more carefully. I see you wright about chmod in post #4. I'll try that.
    If you figure it out great if not post your next issue and we can work thru it...
    Just make sure that the system has mounted the system.img is what I was looking for, when installing the older version did not mount the system.img after the install only after the first reboot.

You do this from the webOS device either wterm or novaterm from a PC to webOS, this is NOT done on in ANDROID or on a Desktop, but thru a DESKTOP or on device.

It does not only on device will chmod work...

If you figure it out great if not post your next issue and we can work thru it...
    I took a deep breath, counted to 10 and read you post (#2) again. :-)
    Wham-bam!!!
    No problems at all.
    I used xTerm to write the commands, and everything worked after first reboot.
    Thank you for a very nice guide! :-)
    I'm trying to install another keyboard, but it doesn't stick.
    Have you worked with that (in another thread maybe)?

Best regards

EDIT: Well I can see now that ACL remembers my Scandinavien keyboard, it just forgets to make it my first choice.
    I can easily change to my danish keyboard now, so I can live with that. :-)
    Last edited by martinjochimsen; 04/11/2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Great... Glad it worked, I have not played with other Android Keyboards, but I have heard others having issues attempting to replace the default. Remember this is Gingerbread so you have to make sure the APK's can work with this version of Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
    Yes, it should work, but you need only ro.build.fingerprint from it. Also you need xml permissions files, which you can simply get by mounting /dev/mapper/store-cm--system, then copy etc/permissions folder to ACL analog(but create backup before this).
    Anybody able to get the build.prop modified successfully?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast