Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello there, since I love webOS so much and I'm thinking of buying a tablet, I must consider TouchPad as a possible choice. I don't like iOS and Android feels uncomfortable to me. However, Ubuntu Touch is going to be released on October, 17 and it looks amazing, so it's another possibility I have to consider. But I digressed.
    As far as I know, there are several versions of the TouchPad:
    • 1.2 GHz 16/32 GB Wi-Fi only.
    • 1.5 GHz 32 GB 4G+Wi-Fi.

Plus the very rare and unreleased Go and the rarest (sold for 350+ euros on eBay) white TouchPad.
    I watched a bunch of reviews on YouTube (they all used the 1.2 GHz version with webOS 3.0.0), everyone stated it was suprising and innovative, but it still needed improvements and they couldn't really recommend it in place of iPad 2. Also I don't want to spend hundreds of euros only because sellers on eBay say the 4G version is "***VERY RARE***", although taxes and customs will add a relevant surcharge (I live in Italy), so I should concentrate on the Wi-Fi-only, 1.2-GHz one. Last but not least, I mostly want it for entertainment, I won't be using it for business or job. Oh, and I use a Pre 3 as my main (and only) smartphone, thus I would be able to use Touch-to-Share.
    I need customers and users' opinions!

EDIT: One million $ Around-fifty-bucks question: since I don't plan to use a TouchPad as a phone device, do you think it is worth to buy a 4G version just because of its +0.3 GHz "boost" compared to Wi-Fi only versions?
    Last edited by WebOSLloyd; 10/12/2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Important question added.
    Hi, just to share my exp. with TP. i own both 32g versions. initially bought a wifi only version and bought another 4G early this year. For sure 4G has advanatge as i use it partially at home and a bit office needs.
    I have both with dual boot webos&Android, but did nt try ubuntu. I think this is one of the best hardware available to play around on multi boot platform.

all the best for your buy!
    Touchpad is pretty good device for me since i dont need all those apps people always crying about. I recommend installing LunaCE if/when you get one.
    I can recommend the 4G one, you can get one for USD 180 with CeejayR on this forum. Shipping + customs would need to be added indeed..... Still extremely good value for money!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I have three (standard WIFI 32GB ones) at my home, mine, my wife (otherwise she would have taken mine), and a "spare" that the kids use constantly.

I get to play with other tablets on a so-so regular basis... iPads are nice devices, but iTunes (and being Apple) are the deal breakers for me. Android tablets are a pain to use, because of Android itself.

Let me put it this way... both are now copying WebOs more and more... just look at the new iOs card minimize and flick the app up to close it....

As far as the hardware goes... it's a tough tablet, heavier than new ones of course, but it's solid.. it's only real weak point is around the speakers where many have cracked.

The speakers and sound capacity of the Touchpads are beyond anything that I've seen and once you install Preware and get the Touchvol app where you can activate the 3D sound... it's actually mind-boggling, it's the only tablet with surround-sound projection that I've ever seen (heard).

The screen quality is on par to anything decent.

The worse part: it can be a victim of the battery circuit "death" where getting it to reboot can be difficult and even require an Ubuntu fix (I had to do it with my "spare"). Once you've done it, it's not that bad but until you do it (I had no experience with Ubuntu prior this), it can be scary. But this is a random thing, and considering the number of the Touchpads out there, it's a small number that get this. And there is a solution anyways.

But while it doesn't have the huge number of Apps that other tablets do, it does have enough to make most happy, at least I'm fine with the numbers... I have more than enough that I can't even find time to "play" with.

I pair it with my Pre2, and it's just simply great for me.. they can be paired very easily, and I just find that I hear so many "limitations" or missing things with all the other phones or tablets that these WebOs devices already do that it's enough to roll my eyes.

I can't say enough about how much I love the Touchstones for charging these devices, and with WIFI File Sharing (another Preware APP) I don't really have to bother using a cable.

I keep wondering what might appear that would make me consider something new, but it's been a couple of years now, and yet, not a single device from anyone else has managed to wow or amaze me, while as time went by, the Touchpad did, again and again... for example: the discovery of the 3D sound capacity floored me when I first tried it.

Another mention.. so far, I don't even know what other tablet has both WIFI 2.4 AND 5 Ghz capacity, but in all those I've tried so far, I've not seen a single one that also has 5Ghz capacity, and the Touchpad, a 3 year old tablet, does.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    you've picked heck of a time to get onboard
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  7.    #7  
    Thank you for all the answers you gave me so far, please keep on telling me your opinion!
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    you've picked heck of a time to get onboard
    You're right, in fact I'm not a big fan of tablets, but webOS has made me longing for one after buying my Pre 3, because I don't like both Apple and Google's Android (doesn't matter what company makes use of it, Samsung, Asus, Sony...).
    However, I thought of such an idea mostly because I need a "bigger" device since my laptop broke some months ago and now I rely only on my Pre 3, thus I'm forced to borrow my mother's terrible and old netbook which makes the simplest task a pain in the head. As I said, I don't need it to work, but we all know a Pre 3 and smartphones in general can't be the only device for internet-addicted people like me.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    I still use my Touchpad daily (32GB wifi only) almost daily - mostly for web browsing/youtube and Kindle books. I used to use it a lot more (for email, Skype etc) but seem to be using it less for those things now.

I still like it (mostly due to loving webOS) and it is still plenty fast enough, especially with uberkernel installed but newer tablets have much better displays these days and also are a lot lighter. The other thing I've been having problems with are some websites don't render properly in the browser, though this isn't a show stopper for me yet as most are still fine.

I'd recommend getting one but only if the price is right - if they made it with a higher res screen and thinner but kept the rest the same I'd buy it in an instant!

P.S I've actually done the opposite of what you've done - after selling my Pre+ and Veer a year and a half ago I've just gone and bought a Pre3! I missed webOS on mobile too much...
    Buyer beware, you'll have no warenty. My TouchPad just up and died on me a few months ago. Even the "Ubuntu fix" failed to revive it. There's a small chance you may be throwing your money away. I just left webOS, I liked the touchpad and loved my Pre 3. I think Ubuntu Touch looks fun, and I'm also looking into installing PuppyLinux onto an old netbook to see how useful it can be. Well maybe more fun and less useful.
    Ive got both a 1.2GHZ 32GB WiFi version and a 4G one. The 4G one is in use every day for email, browsing, gaming, and watching videos and listening to music. I also use it for writing blog posts etc occasionally. I do have androin dual booting which I do use now more than i used to, mostly for the browser options. I do find the native webos browser struggles with more and more sites, but being able to reboot and use chrome or firefox is a nice option.

In the UK wifi versions tend to sell for £100 or less, so I'd look for one from here..might help avoid customs charges?!

And like others have said, get LunaCE on it, plus uberkernel and other enhancements and you'll have no complaints
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  11.    #11  
    I've got two questions for you webOS fellows:
    1. Is the Kindle app suitable for actual e-books? It's a feature I'm sure I would use a lot if good enough.
    2. What's "LunaCE"? Luna is the graphic interface if I'm not wrong and "CE" means "Community Edition" I suppose, but what is it precisely and why should I install it?
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    Video is not in english but it shows all of the features in 4.9.10 which is the alpha version.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Video is not in english but it shows all of the features in 4.9.10 which is the alpha version.
    Thanks, but unfortunately I can't watch it on my Pre³, YouTube gives me an error and connection has no fault. I'll try again later using a computer.
    I have a touchpad 4G. I consider it ok.

It does kindle ok.
    pdf reader is crap.
    the web borwser has some problems loading sites. it supports flash but that is becoming increasingly worthless, because more site will refuse to run unless you have a new version of flash installed.
    of course there are not very many apps, and some of the apps there are broken because the services they connect to have been updated while the app has not.
    the speakers are very good, except that there is a distortion problem sometimes
    the 4g touchpad can connect to internet via hspa+ if you want to pay the money (which i do). This is not even an option at all on most tablets.
    It also has gps not very common on cheap tablet
    it also has a front facing camera
    it also has a larger screen.

In short the hardware is great. I don't really care for the webos on there. I have a pre2 which might as well be a surgical implant, because it helps me keep everything together - and it's many of the features in web os that make it so useful.

I don't need those web os features for the tablet that's why i have the phone. I want the tablet to run apps, which is the Achilles heal of web os. I stuck with if for a while, but there is just nothing there for me, so I put cyanogen on it. I'll boot to web os every once in a while. It's nice to have the option of having all your apps and accounts from your phone show up on the big screen, and it seems to have better battery life as well.

Despite all the griping above, i'd still recommend the touchpad. There is probably no better value hardware wise, and the dual boot option means you don't have to stress about what will happen for any given platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post

It does kindle ok.
    pdf reader is crap.
    the web borwser has some problems loading sites. it supports flash but that is becoming increasingly worthless, because more site will refuse to run unless you have a new version of flash installed.
    of course there are not very many apps, and some of the apps there are broken because the services they connect to have been updated while the app has not.
    the 4g touchpad can connect to internet via hspa+ if you want to pay the money (which i do). This is not even an option at all on most tablets.

In short the hardware is great. I don't really care for the webos on there. I have a pre2 which might as well be a surgical implant, because it helps me keep everything together - and it's many of the features in web os that make it so useful.

I don't need those web os features for the tablet that's why i have the phone. I want the tablet to run apps, which is the Achilles heal of web os. I stuck with if for a while, but there is just nothing there for me, so I put cyanogen on it. I'll boot to web os every once in a while. It's nice to have the option of having all your apps and accounts from your phone show up on the big screen, and it seems to have better battery life as well.

Despite all the griping above, i'd still recommend the touchpad. There is probably no better value hardware wise, and the dual boot option means you don't have to stress about what will happen for any given platform.
    Soon you can have ACL and run Firefox or another modern browser on your Touchpad Your app problem should be sorted too. 90 or % of the apps out there for Android will then work inside webOS

For PDF we might want to have another look at PDF.jsjsjs $that$ $Mozilla$ $developed$ $to$ $see$ $if$ $we$ $can$ $get$ $it$ $working$ $on$ $our$ $webOS$ $devices$. $It$'$s$ $actually$ $quite$ $good$ $on$ $a$ $PC$, $just$ $need$ $to$ $get$ $it$ $working$ $on$ $webOS$ $sometime$.
    Herrie: How far away are we from having open webOS working on a tablet? What kinds of apps would be available for it--android or something else?

At this point, I am looking ahead. Either Ipad 5 or some hardware that will support open WebOS.

Android, blech, too much spyware. Read an article lately that said apps code spyware into them, i forgot the name of the service but it includes IOS apps too. Blech.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Herrie: How far away are we from having open webOS working on a tablet? What kinds of apps would be available for it--android or something else?

At this point, I am looking ahead. Either Ipad 5 or some hardware that will support open WebOS.

Android, blech, too much spyware. Read an article lately that said apps code spyware into them, i forgot the name of the service but it includes IOS apps too. Blech.
    The guys at Ports are making solid progress day by day using the latest technologies (QT 5, WebKit 2 etc), but it seems that there are 2/3 very active developers leading the majority of the work and a few others focusing on some minor things like some apps, connectors, wiki (myself included) etc.

iPad wouldn't be a good choice of hardware due to it being locked down. I would look into Android hardware and put it on there.

No possibility for Android apps CURRENTLY but it has proven not to be impossible. I'm quite sure the ports guys COULD pull it off, however it's not their main priority at the moment because they're still working very hard on the main infrastructure.

A lot of items from LG are pending still as well (as you can see on their website they have 20+ vacancies in the Enyo/webOS team), so I'm sure they're working very hard and doing all they can, just they have internal deadlines to get the TV ready in time for CES I'm sure.

Enyo forum suggests a new SDK is in the works, however hasn't been released yet. Enyo is still being developed actively and 2.3 has been awaiting it's official release for quite a while already, so I expect this to be out officially sometime soon too.

Weekly VirtualBox images are being published on a part of the Ports site that you could play with. Not very useful at the moment yet but should be shortly at least

So mainly Enyo (2) apps, QT apps and possibly SDK and Android apps in the future.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post

It does kindle ok.
    pdf reader is crap.

[...]

Thank you a lot for spending your time writing your sincere and own review of the TouchPad, it's truly useful for me, I'll consider everything you reported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Soon you can have ACL and run Firefox or another modern browser on your Touchpad Your app problem should be sorted too. 90 or % of the apps out there for Android will then work inside webOS

For PDF we might want to have another look at PDF.jsjsjs $that$ $Mozilla$ $developed$ $to$ $see$ $if$ $we$ $can$ $get$ $it$ $working$ $on$ $our$ $webOS$ $devices$. $It$'$s$ $actually$ $quite$ $good$ $on$ $a$ $PC$, $just$ $need$ $to$ $get$ $it$ $working$ $on$ $webOS$ $sometime$.
    Many months ago I read of a project called "Phoenix", it consisted in bringing as many Android apps as possible to webOS 3.x.x. Is it still operating? If not, what are the hopes for the other project you mentioned, do you think it'll be useful within the end of 2013?
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    Thank you a lot for spending your time writing your sincere and own review of the TouchPad, it's truly useful for me, I'll consider everything you reported.

Many months ago I read of a project called "Phoenix", it consisted in bringing as many Android apps as possible to webOS 3.x.x. Is it still operating? If not, what are the hopes for the other project you mentioned, do you think it'll be useful within the end of 2013?
    Phoenix is working on ACL (Android Compatibility Layer) together with OpenMobile. Should be released shortly.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Phoenix is working on ACL (Android Compatibility Layer) together with OpenMobile. Should be released shortly.
    So TouchPad owners will soon be able to use all the applications originally built for Android... That's great to hear, it means one of the weakest points of TouchPad is going to be wiped out!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast