Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    So TouchPad owners will soon be able to use all the applications originally built for Android... That's great to hear, it means one of the weakest points of TouchPad is going to be wiped out!
    I won't say all, but probably 95 or so percent should work
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I won't say all, but probably 95 or so percent should work
    Wonderful, still wonderful! webOS fellow, this news you told me increases TouchPad score a lot. Thank you so much!
    Oh, but wait, how are people going to get apps made for Android? A sort of Preware+Google Play?
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    So TouchPad owners will soon be able to use all the applications originally built for Android... That's great to hear, it means one of the weakest points of TouchPad is going to be wiped out!
    Erm...

There is a lot of history to read in this thread: PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL as well as elsewhere on this forum.

In a nutshell:
    Purported to run Android 2.3 apps and lower
    Wait time 2+ years and counting
    This may be the final push to get such a product released

Time since OpenMobileWW announced ACL - Countup from 21st September 2011 - TickCounter
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Wonderful, still wonderful! webOS fellow, this news you told me increases TouchPad score a lot. Thank you so much!
    Oh, but wait, how are people going to get apps made for Android? A sort of Preware+Google Play?
    No official Google Play for now it seems (though I'm quite sure some of the community members could get it to work eventually). But Amazon App Store will work and you could side load APK files that you could download using Chrome and APK Downloader for example
    No official Google Play for now it seems (though I'm quite sure some of the community members could get it to work eventually). But Amazon App Store will work and you could side load APK files that you could download using Chrome and APK Downloader for example
    Yeah, if the product ever gets released. Herrie, you are probably using it right now, but to the rest of us ACL is just vaporware until we can use it ourselves. PIC promised us a release in July, then could meet that deadline after taking our money. Then they promised us a release by the end of September. It is now mid-October and we have absolutely nothing, not even a beta to play with. To make matters worse, PIC has not communicated with us since telling us about the delay (on the 28th of September). I know this is probably for the other thread but I will make it a point on every post I see in this forum that mentions ACL to call PIC out until they either release the product or have the decency to keep us informed.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    RumoredNow and MikeN68 like this.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Yeah, if the product ever gets released. Herrie, you are probably using it right now, but to the rest of us ACL is just vaporware until we can use it ourselves. PIC promised us a release in July, then could meet that deadline after taking our money. Then they promised us a release by the end of September. It is now mid-October and we have absolutely nothing, not even a beta to play with. To make matters worse, PIC has not communicated with us since telling us about the delay (on the 28th of September). I know this is probably for the other thread but I will make it a point on every post I see in this forum that mentions ACL to call PIC out until they either release the product or have the decency to keep us informed.
    Ouch. That hurt me. I hate such behaviors. If what I read is true, I must reconsider my opinion.
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    I would still go for it as there it is still a reliable and very useful device 2+ years since it has been released. If there is something you really need to have that is not on WebOS, install Android. Despite your reluctance, it fills in the gaps of WebOS. When/if Open Mobile ACL ever does see the light of day, you can remove it.

I just picked up my second TP just for the heck of it as it was only $50 due to the PO not installing Android correctly and I fixed it and installed LunaCE thanks to the support of members of webosnations that keep the dream alive (cheesy, but true) You will not be alone if you have any issues. If HP had some of the guys working for them that have kept us going since they threw in the towel, imagine where we would be right now.
    RumoredNow and eKeith like this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    I would still go for it as there it is still a reliable and very useful device 2+ years since it has been released. If there is something you really need to have that is not on WebOS, install Android. Despite your reluctance, it fills in the gaps of WebOS. When/if Open Mobile ACL ever does see the light of day, you can remove it.

I just picked up my second TP just for the heck of it as it was only $50 due to the PO not installing Android correctly and I fixed it and installed LunaCE thanks to the support of members of webosnations that keep the dream alive (cheesy, but true) You will not be alone if you have any issues. If HP had some of the guys working for them that have kept us going since they threw in the towel, imagine where we would be right now.
    Mh-mh, dual-boot is a great idea, someone else mentioned it yet. Do you think it is worth the risk to buy a said-to-be "non-functioning" device on eBay and try to fix it?
    I see new, unopened TPs on Ebay every once in a while.
    Mh-mh, dual-boot is a great idea, someone else mentioned it yet. Do you think it is worth the risk to buy a said-to-be "non-functioning" device on eBay and try to fix it?
    Sorry for the length, but it depends. If you think you can run the commands and all that is required, then yes. Keep in mind that worst case you will end up with a parts TP, which is not necessarily a bad thing depending what it cost you. It's always easier if you can inspect it before purchase, but if that's not an option ask the seller a lot of questions and if you don't like the answers, walk away. Just walk away. Someone in another forum posted that's it's very hard to brick a TP to the point it cannot be recovered. That might be an exaggeration, but I have seen a lot of them rescued - including mine - due to the people of webosnations so you will not be going though it alone. However, hardware failure is not unknown. I see it as taking a chance on having a really cheap Touchpad and the challenge to figure out how to fix it. In my case it took about three hours, but I learned a lot, and ended up with a second TP at a price that kept the wife happy (A very important point when she doesn't understand why I wanted a second one.)

Some things I would ask:

What do they mean by non functioning? Is it totally dead? Is there anything on the screen? In my case a yellow triangle with "www.palm.com/ROM" was on the screen so I knew it powered on and was at least attempting to load. Is it stuck in a reboot loop? Is the problem due to a failed Android install? How is the touchscreen?

Is it detected properly by a pc? Since I found mine on craigslist, I brought my laptop to ensure it did. Should you find one locally and the seller resists you testing it, walk away.

Has it been charged recently? If not how long has it been? Once the battery gets too low or fully depleted it may not initially charge back up without jumping through a few hoops listed in other forum threads or require a replacement battery from ebay. BTW this can also happen if you buy a new sealed unit as it has now been sitting in the box upwards of 2 years.

Charger should be included as the TP requires a higher amperage to charge and is picky about chargers other than its own. Conversely, everything else I own can charge off the TP charger so it's a great multitasker.

USB port OK? This is the Achilles heel of the TP in my opinion.

Has it been opened? This may not necessarily be a bad thing, but if done wrong things break or junk gets caught between the LCD and the touchscreen and I had to reopen mine as there was one speck of something driving me crazy. The PO used silicone to close it back up and seal a speaker crack. Not fun removing it to remove the dust.

If photos only show it in a case ask for some without it so you can evaluate the exterior. A case can hide a lot.

If the seller is honest, he will answer your questions fully so you can make a good decision. Some even will give you your money back if it doesn't work for you. If I have the chance to do it again I would.

This seems like a lot but do your homework and you could end up with an inexpensive new tablet. We are here to help you get through it and it's another TP back in action. I was up for the challenge and I bet you can do it too.
    Last edited by joeytino; 10/10/2013 at 03:02 PM.
    RumoredNow and ananimus like this.
    ^^^ That's a smart post and covers the issues well.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 10/10/2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
  12.    #32  
    Sorry for the length, but it depends.

[...]
    Thank you so much for spending your time writing such an useful and truly exhaustive answer. Now I think it'll require a lot of time asking, checking, trying, arguing, etc. but it seems to be worth a try. Since price will be much lower, I'm going to look for a 4G TouchPad hopefully.

EDIT: Found one from who seems to be a trustworthy seller. He says the TouchPad has a dual-boot option with Android, but its original battery has lasted for one year, then it didn't charge anymore. So, he replaced the battery but it held a charge only a few days. After that it only shows the "low battery" icon when trying to switch it on even when it's supposed to be charging. Seller says he doesn't know how to fix it, he wishes good luck to those who want to try.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by WebOSLloyd; 10/10/2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Good (?) news.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    My one suggestion would be to consider this; you're thinking of buying a device that's out of production that has a battery in it with no factory warranty.

As long as you're cool with knowing you're jumping into a discontinued device that may not last you very long, go for it.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Thank you so much for spending your time writing such an useful and truly exhaustive answer. Now I think it'll require a lot of time asking, checking, trying, arguing, etc. but it seems to be worth a try. Since price will be much lower, I'm going to look for a 4G TouchPad hopefully.

EDIT: Found one from who seems to be a trustworthy seller. He says the TouchPad has a dual-boot option with Android, but its original battery has lasted for one year, then it didn't charge anymore. So, he replaced the battery but it held a charge only a few days. After that it only shows the "low battery" icon when trying to switch it on even when it's supposed to be charging. Seller says he doesn't know how to fix it, he wishes good luck to those who want to try.
    What do you think?
    Being it's a 4G, and it is cheap, I would take a chance on it if you have any intentions of ever using the 4G service. If not, the processor bump is not all that much compared to the regular WiFi model as they both have the same processor, and with Preware you can overclock it up to the 1.5G speed of the 4G model. (4G owners pipe up if I am wrong here. I don't have one...yet.)

If he predominately used the Android side and it was older than CM10, there is a known issue with battery failure as android lacked the ability to protect the battery that WebOS has and essentially ran until it was dead. Too much of that and the battery will fail prematurely. Other than that it's possible that replacement battery is bad, or something with the charging circuit has an issue. It might be a loose ribbon cable inside or something wrong with the USB board as you pretty much had to disassemble the entire TP to get the battery out. Get yourself a Touchstone - you want that anyway as it is the best way to charge your TP - and see if it charges OK on that. If so, the USB port has an issue and that part can be found through Top Tongue Barry - I envy his parts stash - or ebay. If you are handy with electronics, there are a few threads regarding testing the battery. I have bought replacement batteries for HP laptops and they have either lacked circuitry that the laptop was looking for to gauge battery health or just cheaply made so it could simply be a bad battery if it isn't an HP OEM replacement.

What is he asking for it? I would think no more that $75US or even $50. Worst case you will have a replacement touchscreen and LCD and those alone are worth more than that.
    Last edited by joeytino; 10/10/2013 at 05:33 PM.
  15.    #35  
    Being it's a 4G, and it is cheap, I would take a chance on it if you have any intentions of ever using the 4G service. If not, the processor bump is not all that much compared to the regular WiFi model as they both have the same processor, and with Preware you can overclock it up to the 1.5G speed of the 4G model. (4G owners pipe up if I am wrong here. I don't have one...yet.)

If he predominately used the Android side and it was older than CM10, there is a known issue with battery failure as android lacked the ability to protect the battery that WebOS has and essentially ran until it was dead. Too much of that and the battery will fail prematurely. Other than that it's possible that replacement battery is bad, or something with the charging circuit has an issue. It might be a loose ribbon cable inside or something wrong with the USB board as you pretty much had to disassemble the entire TP to get the battery out. Get yourself a Touchstone - you want that anyway as it is the best way to charge your TP - and see if it charges OK on that. If so, the USB port has an issue and that part can be found through Top Tongue Barry - I envy his parts stash - or ebay. If you are handy with electronics, there are a few threads regarding testing the battery. I have bought replacement batteries for HP laptops and they have either lacked circuitry that the laptop was looking for to gauge battery health or just cheaply made so it could simply be a bad battery if it isn't an HP OEM replacement.

What is he asking for it? I would think no more that $75US or even $50. Worst case you will have a replacement touchscreen and LCD and those alone are worth more than that.
    Meh, thank you a lot for your exhaustive answer, but sadly the seller told me he doesn't want to ship (internationally, I live in Italy) to me because he doesn't trust me. Can't blame him, I have no feedbacks at all on eBay, positive or negative, since I only bought my Pre 3 and did nothing else. It's an auction, it's reached 51$ so far. It's a white TouchPad, a true rarity, if anybody has "their fortunes for to try" just check it out here.

Anyway, do you think there's small difference between 4G and Wi-Fi only TPs? I don't plan to use its phone functions at all, so all I was looking for was its CPU speed.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Anyway, do you think there's small difference between 4G and Wi-Fi only TPs? I don't plan to use its phone functions at all, so all I was looking for was its CPU speed.
    Well, a white TouchPad means higher Processor Speed and 64GB.
    The Speed Difference to a normal Touchpad isn't as much as thought (for me).
    The ability of 4G/3G is nice to have, but not really necessary.
    I've owning both. :-D
  17.    #37  
    I finally decided to buy a Wi-Fi only TouchPad. I'm looking for the best price on eBay. 16 or 32 GBs, doesn't matter.
    16gb is not enough memory for any tablet especially one with no external memory card. No tablet should be made with less than 32.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuckk View Post
    16gb is not enough memory for any tablet especially one with no external memory card. No tablet should be made with less than 32.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4
    You're right, I thought about it and what came out is: I want to fill it with music and movies and videoclips. I got a 32 GB one (after loosing 'bout 6 auctions...) with a touchstone charger and an anti-glare screen protector, plus, I bought a Skinomi light-wood skin protection. Aaand I'll surely need your (community's) help, especially if I decide to install Android in a dual-boot ecosystem.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12