Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    well unfortunatly on android i only like using opera and that needs 3.x +
    The app I want most needs 3.x, too. I think PIC/OM should make an intermediate relase supporting 3.x before heading to 4.x.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    The app I want most needs 3.x, too. I think PIC/OM should make an intermediate relase supporting 3.x before heading to 4.x.
    I'd prefer they did Pre3 support before either but that ain't going to happen either.

Seriously though, surely the work to support a new OS version is broadly similar so it would make little sense to do 3.x at all, just skip to 4.x. The only reason they started with 2.3 is that is what had already been made.
    Rnp, cujoq37 and creepingmee like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Sorry, wasn't trying to be a **** hole, there just seems to be this perception that 2.3 is so ancient that absolutely nothing will work on it, so ACL will be worthless. The vast majority of Android apps run on 2.3. 4.x has not caught on as much as it should have and Android is very lacking in tablet specific apps.
    It's funny you're responding to a misconception with another misconception. You're correct that most apps should work fine on 2.3. But your viewpoint of the Android tablet app situation is ancient and IMO no longer applicable. The reason you won't see tablet-specific apps on Android is because Android is designed to allow developers to easily create different views/layouts for different form factors. The same app will display an optimized view on phones, 7" tablets, and 10" tablets. It's quite easy to implement with Android's Fragment API.

But back to the topic at hand...will users be missing out on apps with ACL running 2.3. While most apps do support 2.3, the look and feel of the app, as well as some functionality, may not be identical to when it's running on a 4.x device. Android has changed drastically on the API end from 2.3 to 4.x. There are tons of new APIs available in 3.x/4.x. Some of them have made it into the compatibilty library so they're available on 2.x if developers choose to use the compatibility library; however many are not.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Fragment API? What an unfortunate name considering the perception of Android as being fragmented.

I think I read something recently about Google making some changes in the Play store to make it easier to identify apps that have been optimized for tablets. Not that it helps with ACL at this point, but they definitely have to fix that perception that there are few tablet apps.
  5.    #25  
    I thought of another app I want. Google Play Music...only requires 2.2+.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    It's funny you're responding to a misconception with another misconception. You're correct that most apps should work fine on 2.3. But your viewpoint of the Android tablet app situation is ancient and IMO no longer applicable. The reason you won't see tablet-specific apps on Android is because Android is designed to allow developers to easily create different views/layouts for different form factors. The same app will display an optimized view on phones, 7" tablets, and 10" tablets. It's quite easy to implement with Android's Fragment API.

But back to the topic at hand...will users be missing out on apps with ACL running 2.3. While most apps do support 2.3, the look and feel of the app, as well as some functionality, may not be identical to when it's running on a 4.x device. Android has changed drastically on the API end from 2.3 to 4.x. There are tons of new APIs available in 3.x/4.x. Some of them have made it into the compatibilty library so they're available on 2.x if developers choose to use the compatibility library; however many are not.
    Dan,

Did you miss the part when I mentioned that I have both 2.3 and 4.x devices? I will admit that Android is getting better but I have to disagree with your assessment that my views are a misconception. I use Android on my TouchPad now just as much as a I use it on my phone. The lack of some tablet specific apps is so apparent that it is noticeable and there is no way to filter out non-tablet apps in the Play Store like in webOS.

As to the look and feel, almost all of my 2.3 apps look identical on 4.x (which is a good thing). 4.x just seems to use more screen and take advantage of sliding panes like on webOS 3.x. The Spotify app is a good example. As a matter of fact that is one of the apps I will definitely be downloading once ACL is available.
    I've been making a list for weeks now...
    1. ebay app
    2. Package tracking app
    (both for my ebay business-the webOS versions are poor or no longer functional)
    3. Zinio
    4. Audible
    5. Audubon Mammals, FIsh & Reptiles
    6. Gigwalk
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Any particular reason for the eBay app? I always use my broswer, it gives me the exact same experience as if I wee on a PC. I just glanced at it in Play, not sure if I see any benefit....or are there issues with the webOS browser?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    ...are there issues with the webOS browser?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Any particular reason for the eBay app? I always use my broswer, it gives me the exact same experience as if I wee on a PC. I just glanced at it in Play, not sure if I see any benefit....or are there issues with the webOS browser?
    I am unable to revise listings with the TouchPad browser, the pictures never show up, so when I want to add something to a description, I'm told "a picture is required". Plus, I assume the ebay app has the notifications option I used to enjoy in AuctionMate Pro until they stopped supporting the app, that way I get notified when bids are placed on my auctions.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    For those who will dive head first into ACL for TP when it's released, what app will you grab first? I think I'll go for Firefox personally.
    Netflix. And why is everyone so obsessed with different browsers? I had only my TP for browsing when my computer broke
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Global Posts
    778 Global Posts
    Forgot about 4.0 for Chrome but really not a priority.

Will also try TinyCam Monitor Pro...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    778 Global Posts
    Ultimately I want Pre3 support also but won't hold my breadth...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by NK_Newbury View Post
    Browsers = Firefox, Dolphin, Boat
    For my young son (don't forget the family, Phoenix!!) = Lego Duplo Train!
    For my expense management = Expensify
    For my organisation = Simplenote and ToodleTasks (though WebOS versions good)
    For my spare time = Zinio and maybe the BBC iPlayer (UK)
    For video communication = Oovoo (or Skype)
    When ACL comes out I would try DGT GTD. It's the best GTD system and syncing tool with toodledo IMO. I do like ToodleTasks although it is missing some key features. I'm with some of you that if this came to the Pre 3 it would be amazing. Imagine running Google maps on it? WebOS with a good navigation app? My mind can't wrap my head around that lol

Twitter= MobilePowerUp
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Netflix. And why is everyone so obsessed with different browsers? I had only my TP for browsing when my computer broke
    Using the firefox user agent patch in preware (there is one for iphone and one for chrome), I have been able once again to press the links on the nbcnews site and have them work on the stock webos browser.
    ch
    The firefox user agent patch will not let me watch The Daily Show or Colbert Nation. Hulu patch still works but I have been conservative and only tried it after I take off the firefox patch.

(for the playbook, daily show and colbert work ok and one can hook it up via hdmi to tv and watch on big screen; there is no way to watch hulu).
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Lol RumoredNow. I use the stock Android browser, as Chrome seems to crash quite frequently with JB, and I have a pretty good experience with eBay using that. I think the app is sub par in comparison.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    If available:
    Kindle Reader
    Netflix
    Hulu
    Opera Browser
    I'll have to see what other goodies are available after those.
    -Koa-
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I've been making a list for weeks now...

2. Package tracking app
    (both for my ebay business-the webOS versions are poor or no longer functional)
    Package Tracker by omoco should still work, or do you use an unsupported service?
    http://omoco.de/

http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=de.omoco.paketverfolgung

https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=de.omoco.paketverfolgung
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Package Tracker by omoco should still work, or do you use an unsupported service?
    omoco

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...aketverfolgung

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...aketverfolgung

I use omoco's package tracker, but they don't seem to be updating it. I told them 3 months ago the FedEx tracking was broken but they haven't fixed it. For ups and USPS its still working for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    omoco

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...aketverfolgung

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...aketverfolgung
    I mainly use USPS and had been using Pack N Track, but it no longer tracks USPS, they gave up support a while ago. I don't want to pay for another app that isn't supported.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast