1.    #1  
    Touchpad only displays the electric plug symbol.
    It's my fault. I have cm9 installed and operating ok.
    I was booting and just decided to see what happens booting to recovery instead of cm9 or webos.
    The recovery symbol appeared.
    The touchpad was not connected to a computer.
    Then fooling around with the touchpad buttons, finally the electric plug symbol came up.

The touchpad is no longer recognized by either windows xp or linux.

Any help for one who has screwed up a good machine?
    Quote Originally Posted by explore2 View Post
    I was booting and just decided to see what happens booting to recovery instead of cm9 or webos.
    Then fooling around with the touchpad buttons, finally the electric plug symbol came up.

I hate to say it, but I've not seen anyone come up with a solution to this one that didn't involve taking the TP apart (if I'm even remembering that correctly).

Wait for a few days to see if someone more knowledgeable than I has a fix. If not, this last-ditch effort occurs to me: Try running the battery down until the TP shuts itself down, immediately plug it into the stock HP wall charger (not the Touchstone and not any other wall charger), then walk away from it for 4-6 hours while it (hopefully) recharges. If it doesn't automatically restart during that time, press the power button; if that doesn't work, try the power button and center (home) button together.

Don't try this unless you can be right on top of it to plug it in as soon as it shuts down--there's the risk of the battery's becoming too depleted to run the charging system (yes, the TP needs some battery charge remaining for the charging system to function, and the battery will continue to discharge even after shutdown).

Maybe, just maybe, that will reset the hardware. It may also permanently brick your TP, so please consider that before trying it.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Or let it discharge completely and utterly and then slowly (via PC USB) let it trickle-re-charge. Might take a few days even, but if you are lucky it will eventually remember that it is a Touchpad with a dodgy power management system and also then eventually re-boot itself into webOS? (If you get the battery-with-the-red-line-in-it symbol happening, hang on in (and switch to wall charger even), because that's a good sign it is getting there!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/18/2013 at 03:33 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.

2 possible fix:

1) Press the ON/OFF button and Home button at the same time until the Touchpad restarts.

OR

2) Press the ON/OFF button and Volume UP button at the same time until the Touchpad restarts.

it should work!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Or let it discharge completely and utterly and then slowly (via PC USB) let it trickle-re-charge. Might take a few days even, but if you are lucky it will eventually remember that it is a Touchpad with a dodgy power management system and also then eventually re-boot itself into webOS? (If you get the battery-with-the-red-line-in-it symbol happening, hang on in (and switch to wall charger even), because that's a good sign it is getting there!

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't mention that when I press the buttons I get the "battery-with-the-red-line-in-it symbol"
    and then it quickly switches to the electric plug symbol.".

Is the fact that I can't get touchpad recognized now with either windows xp or linux have anything to do with a low battery (if that's the problem)?
    Thanks for the replies.

I didn't mention that when I press the buttons I get the "battery-with-the-red-line-in-it symbol"
    and then it quickly switches to the electric plug symbol.".

Is the fact that I can't get touchpad recognized now with either windows xp or linux have anything to do with a low battery (if that's the problem)?
    So it probably has enough juice to momentarily know that it's battery is 'red-lined' - and then decides that it is completely flat and requires charging! Try Trickle Charging it on USB for a couple of days.
    Yes, if the TP isn't booted, it cant tell the PC that it IS a TP - and therefore will not be recognised as such by it.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    So it probably has enough juice to momentarily know that it's battery is 'red-lined' - and then decides that it is completely flat and requires charging! Try Trickle Charging it on USB for a couple of days.
    Yes, if the TP isn't booted, it cant tell the PC that it IS a TP - and therefore will not be recognised as such by it.

Thanks again for the replies.
    I tried tpdebrick but aborted.

I now am tryiing to charge the touchpad. The symbol with lightning bold is on contantly.
    So if it's really charging, I'll give it time to do that.
    Err... I do wonder if OP tried plugging it in in the first place. It wasn't mentioned in any of his posts.
  9.    #9  
    I left it plugged in overnight again. This time the lightning bolt image stayed on, finally changed to the recovery mode image.
    Pressed all three buttons together (don't remember volume was up or down) and it booted into cm9.

thanks again for your suggestions.
    I left it plugged in overnight again. This time the lightning bolt image stayed on, finally changed to the recovery mode image.
    Pressed all three buttons together (don't remember volume was up or down) and it booted into cm9.

thanks again for your suggestions.
    I upgrade my TP to CM10 by just downloading the latest nightly and gapps, booting into recovery, wiping data/factory reset, and then flashing the nightly and then gapps. No problems whatsoever. I recommend it since CM9 doesn't have a "brain" to shutdown the touchpad with enough power left to let it remember it's supposed to charge when plugged in...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE