Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By pcworld
  • 1 Post By broncot
  • 2 Post By namgod
  1.    #1  
    I picked up a 16GB TouchPad that wouldn't charge (the usb port is shot), I can charge it on my Touchstone, but it has a password on it. Without the password, the usb port or working power/volume buttons, I can't make this functional for my daughter. Anyone have a way to force a device wipe or bypass the password WITHOUT these broken parts? I opened it up and made sure the ribbon cable for the power/volume assembly is properly connected.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    I would be looking for a dead one on ebay to marry the parts to.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    it'd be pretty frustrating to use if it has none of those buttons anyway

<what alanmorford said>
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    it'd be pretty frustrating to use if it has none of those buttons anyway

<what alanmorford said>
    Nah, you can wake up the screen with the home button and control the volume in the sound app, this way my 7 year old can play on a TouchPad without using mine-with my profile she gets all her games anyway.
    Sigh, I only paid $50 for it, less functional ones on ebay are more than that! I will wait and see if my seller can get the password from his ex.
    Thanks!
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Nah, you can wake up the screen with the home button and control the volume in the sound app, this way my 7 year old can play on a TouchPad without using mine-with my profile she gets all her games anyway.
    Sigh, I only paid $50 for it, less functional ones on ebay are more than that! I will wait and see if my seller can get the password from his ex.
    Thanks!
    If you've already opened it up, the USB port board is removable, so you may have some luck re-soldering the port back on the board
    If you manage to get the USB port working and you're lucky enough that the tablet already has developer mode enabled, you you can run webOS Quick Install with the tablet plugged into your PC and use it to install the "Bypass Pin" patch. I mentioned the same thing briefly here:

second hand pin locked tablet need help
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    If you've already opened it up, the USB port board is removable, so you may have some luck re-soldering the port back on the board
    The actual port itself is messed up, the connector in the center is broken off, I could tell it was shot before opening it.
    If you can find a USB connector board for the TP you can follow this guide. Replacing HP TouchPad USB Connector Board - iFixit Try posting for one in the Marketplace on this forum. Someone might have a disassembled TP they are willing to part out.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
    If you manage to get the USB port working and you're lucky enough that the tablet already has developer mode enabled, you you can run webOS Quick Install with the tablet plugged into your PC and use it to install the "Bypass Pin" patch.
    Developer mode isn't necessary. Either just doctor it, or if you want to retain all the data, you can use meta-doctor to boot a minimal image as shown here: [How To] Create a backup of your device when in recovery mode, including apps
    The path to the passcode file is /var/luna/data/.passcode, so to remove it, run something like this (not sure if the path is correct):
    Code:
    rm /tmp/root/var/luna/data/.passcode
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Remy X and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    If the seller cannot come up with the password, perhaps the OP can just de-solder the USB port and solder the correct wires directly to the board, so that the TP could be doctored once. If the port itself is pretty generic, i would think that buying a USB port is cheaper than a whole Touchpad-specific board... i've seen audio jacks sold for 99 each, or 15 in bulk, so i would imagine that going rate for microUSB ports is only slightly higher
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    If the seller cannot come up with the password, perhaps the OP can just de-solder the USB port and solder the correct wires directly to the board, so that the TP could be doctored once. If the port itself is pretty generic, i would think that buying a USB port is cheaper than a whole Touchpad-specific board... i've seen audio jacks sold for 99 each, or 15 in bulk, so i would imagine that going rate for microUSB ports is only slightly higher
    I was quoted a price of $35 for the TouchPad specific part, maybe I'll crack it open again and look at the solder points. If the TouchPads weren't so difficult to open and close up, I'd just take the USB board out of my 32GB and put it in the 16GB just to doctor it.....
    Remy X likes this.
    $35? Un-****ing-believable!

I would have thought $15 tops.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    The actual port itself is messed up, the connector in the center is broken off, I could tell it was shot before opening it.
    If the center (#3) pin is broken you're out of luck because it's one of the data lines. If the data lines had been good you could have probably doctored the TouchPad just on battery power. Since charging happens between pin 1 (+) and pin 5 (ground), you may have some other broken connections that are not visible. Replacement of the micro usb connector is recommended, if your solder skills are up to it. The micro usb will be easier to remove using a heat gun, as opposed to a low wattage (23 -25w) iron, if you can get the board out and away from the plastic bezel. If there are any surface mounted devices around the port you'll have to put a couple of layers of aluminum tape over them to keep the heat gun from loosening them up. Good Luck.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3 > Galaxy S7 edge
    Remy X and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Developer mode isn't necessary. Either just doctor it, or if you want to retain all the data, you can use meta-doctor to boot a minimal image as shown here: [How To] Create a backup of your device when in recovery mode, including apps
    The path to the passcode file is /var/luna/data/.passcode, so to remove it, run something like this (not sure if the path is correct):
    Code:
    The boot image is good suggestion too. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but I believe that even to use the doctor or memboot a minimal image, you either need to get into recovery mode (which the OP cannot do with his broken buttons) or have developer mode enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
    The boot image is good suggestion too. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but I believe that even to use the doctor or memboot a minimal image, you either need to get into recovery mode (which the OP cannot do with his broken buttons) or have developer mode enabled.
    Yup, you're right.
    In the very unlikely case the TouchPad has a working internet connection and the OP has access to the used Palm Profile, he could remote-reset it (if that feature works it all). Though the chance is towards 0.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Code:
    Just note that won't remove the password from the Key Manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Just note that won't remove the password from the Key Manager.
    Do you mean text passwords (as opposed to numerical PINs)?
    Do you mean text passwords (as opposed to numerical PINs)?
    Well, when you set a passcode, in addition to adding a lock screen, webOS uses the passcode to encrypt the keys database. If you don't use the proper system call to remove the passcode, the Key Manager will still be locked to the old passcode, and you'll have to either do it right or enter all your account passwords again.