Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gregp
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Hi,

Months ago my TP threw up the ? icon on the screen and nothing I can do has fixed it. I'm selling it with a pile of accessories but have since worried about the data that's still on there. I've just initiated a device erase from my webOS profile palm.com/palmprofile so if someone ever manages to get it up and running again it'll force a device wipe, but that obviously won't occur until it runs again meaning data is still there; also it won't presumably destroy the contents of the USB drive.

I can potentially move components into a TP that's still working, or change a battery into the old one or whatever, but can someone tell me what bits I need to move around (boards, chips etc) to be able to temporarily access the data on my USB drive?

Thanks!
    Greg
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $micro$-$USB$ $board$ $in$ $it$ $is$ $replaceable$, $the$ $commoboard$ $definitely$ $is$, $so$ $maybe$ $the$ $charging$ $circuit$ $also$ $a$ $removable$ $component$, $and$ $since$ $you$ $have$ $a$ $spare$ $TP$, $you$ $could$ $try$ $swapping$ $it$ $in$ $and$ $if$ $it$ $boots$, $wipe$ $it$ $properly$.

I'm absolutely positive that the broken component here is the charging circuit, since the Touchpad requires the battery to be healthy for it to power on the screen. So you could also try swapping the battery and trying to boot, most likely that won't work, then trying the charging circuit.

If you still want to recover data, i suggest you leave the WiFi router running but unplug the modem, so when it connects it won't receive the wipe command yet... because it might already connect before the pulsing HP logo leaves the screen

Edit: !!! ..wait a minute! The [?] also comes up when the Pre or Pixi has a loose commboard, so try taking apart the TP bit by bit if the charging circuit swap does nothing, and then reassembling it. You might just have a loose cable somewhere
    Last edited by Remy X; 08/29/2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Thanks Remy X. Can you point me to which component exactly I need to be changing? I had a bit of a hunt around and sites like HP TouchPad Repair - iFixit explain how to remove various parts, but while I'm capable of doing the work I'm not sure which part I should be changing!
    Thanks for the link...

Funny, one of the questions posted on that page is from a guy who had the same problem... have you tried TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki before we take it apart?

If that fails, i'll try to figure out which board we need, but let us know if it comes back to life or not
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    No I hadn't tried that particular one, don't have ubuntu but I'll give it a go. Do you know what I'd need to change in the event this doesn't work?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    No I hadn't tried that particular one, don't have ubuntu but I'll give it a go. Do you know what I'd need to change in the event this doesn't work?
    It might be the USB board, i'll have to check if it connects directly to the battery. But hopefully yours is only a firmware problem
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Don't believe it, that TPDebrick worked!! Thanks for the tip, I'd pretty much given up thinking it was ever fixable! Totally stoked and really didn't think I'd ever see this running again. Thanks a million!
    Remy X likes this.