• 1 Post By anon8091350
  • 1 Post By imurrx
  • 1 Post By Semma2
  • 1 Post By klx300r
  • 1 Post By johncc
  • 2 Post By crazybirdman
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Booted into WebOS today and I have to say that even with the advancements that have been made in android/ios/WP7-8 - it still feels fresh and intuitive. The native (android) gmail and calendar apps are just now catching up to how good webOS had it. No telling how far webOS would be today had it received the push it deserved.

I'm not the first nor the last to make that observation..
    Remy X, roshang, k4ever and 8 others like this.

We've had a string of ex-webOS trolls come through here just recently, mocking us for still using something that works for us. So thanks for coming here with a positive attitude.
    Booted into WebOS today and I have to say that even with the advancements that have been made in android/ios/WP7-8 - it still feels fresh and intuitive. The native (android) gmail and calendar apps are just now catching up to how good webOS had it. No telling how far webOS would be today had it received the push it deserved.

This is a nice coincidence. I installed CM 10.1 over a week ago (jcsullins 08/08 version). Google has made some nice improvements to Android and 4.2 is great. I've used it exclusively since I installed it. However I booted back into webOS about an hour ago and I felt like I was back at home.

The email is almost on par with webOS 3.0.5. The task manager, notifications, and settings still need some work, but they have improved greatly. The keyboards and auto-correct still suck, when compared to webOS. Don't get me wrong, they have nice features (remembering the way you type, themes, etc) but they just aren't implemented correctly and get in the way.

My biggest gripe is still with multi-tasking. Even with a few paid add-ons for Android, webOS' implementation of multi-tasking/app switching is light years better. Case in point, I have become addicted to Plants vs Zombies on Android. While I'm playing the game, I get a message from my Dad, who I haven't spoken to in a couple of weeks. I tap the notification and it switches to the messaging app (just like webOS, nice!). I type out a message, then I have to bring up the task manager and switch back to the game (2 movements). However, when I switch back the game has to reload to take me to the pause screen. Same thing happens if I temporarily lock my screen. So not only do I have to do two movements instead of one swipe, I have to wait 5-10 seconds for the game to come out of its saved state. I can play a webOS game immediately afterwards. I also get the same behavior from Feedly. It will go back to the first screen instead of the screen I was on before I switched to another app. The behavior is a little erratic depending on the app. Let's not even talk about the back button...... Tiring.

I'm waiting patiently for next month when ACL is supposed to be released. That way I can get the Android app goodness without the Android OS behavior badness.

Thanks for your post. I had to get that off my chest. WebOS was/is ahead of its time in terms of usability. Palm did a good job with the OS, bad job with the hardware, and horrible job of selling to HP.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    ArchonAdvisors and jmdesai like this.
    Despite all webOS shortcomings I cant remember when I booted Android on my TP. I'm using tablet for few things and webOS is perfectly suited for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by errsta View Post

I've actually been tempted to get a Palm Pre 3 instead of a Note 3... Despite the nice hardware samsung has to offer, I still don't like Android as much as WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I've actually been tempted to get a Palm Pre 3 instead of a Note 3... Despite the nice hardware samsung has to offer, I still don't like Android as much as WebOS.
    I know how that feels, I use android for a year now(nexus s, galaxy nexus, nexus 4), but I recently bought a Pre2. I could not resist.
    Webos shall never die!
    This is an odd coincidence - I, too, just booted into WebOS last night after having used my Android side for about six months. About the only things I need Android for are Netflix and their better network printer app. But for elegance of operation and a better threaded email reader, WebOS can't be beaten.
    - Terry
    jmdesai likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by errsta View Post

I totally agree with you my friend
    jmdesai likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    Webos shall never die!
    Just maybe LG would take the time a revamp Webos and make a smartphone. To be honesty it just need a few tweaks thats all in my opinion for Webos to get back in the thick of things...
    Hi had not used webOS for six months, decided to boot up my two Touchpads (still had 90% charge), and pre3,
    And reminded me how good webOS still is.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by winston101 View Post
    Hi had not used webOS for six months, decided to boot up my two Touchpads (still had 90% charge), and pre3,
    And reminded me how good webOS still is.
    Welcome back!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    If there were a new webOS phone, I would get it except I'm now addicted to my Moto X. I still prefer webOS over android, but the Moto X executes it well.

The one thing I miss most from webOS was three swipe navigation and the true multitasking.

If there were future webos device they should take note of the X.

Sent from my XT1056 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Last edited by imurrx; 12/18/2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I completely agree. If it weren't for a few extra apps in Android (Netflix, Chromecast support, and an enhanced Plex client) I would probably leave my TP in WebOS all the time. It not only works better, it looks better.
    Rnp likes this.
    I too haven't booted my TP in a while but that's mostly because I've been using my net book lately but must agree that that though Android is better than what Apple offers nothing feels quite right compared to WebOS. If we can get Android apps running natively under webos this would be the ideal tablet for me!

say what ever happened to phoenix project that promised to do such a program??
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    Rnp likes this.
    It must have been a while. See PIC &/or ACL.
    Rnp likes this.
    has someone made an updated checklist/tutorial of all the things you should do when you 1st get your WebOS phone? It would be great for all of us that are 'coming back'
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
    has someone made an updated checklist/tutorial of all the things you should do when you 1st get your WebOS phone? It would be great for all of us that are 'coming back'
    I totally agree.

I have been using Android exclusively on my Touchpad for months now.

If there was a 'catchup with the latest advancements' post that would be really helpful.
    if you installed webos my outside my atrix. that would be super!

Enviado desde mi pre2 webos 2.2.4
  20. eqr
    When I got the new iPad air for my birthday, first thing I noticed was the way Apple chose to close apps in the new iOS. Seemed a little familiar. )

Got to get this new GO up to 3.0.5, but last one was such a chore, I'm procrastinating.