Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I was just looking on eBay at the NIB Touchpad 4G's and there aren't many on there. I have a 32 GB wifi version that I got from the firesale but its getting old and I want to upgrade it with the 4G version. They are going with Buy It Now for roughly $215 which isn't bad at all.

My plan was to wait another month and see if ACL is actually available from PIC or not and make my final decision at that point, but it seems like there aren't many available and I don't want to miss my chance to get one. Do you think what is left on eBay might be close to the last ones available?

Also, is it true that if you get an AT&T version, you can unlock it to work with a Verizon sim card?

Thanks for your help!
    No ideas about how many are left.... Difficult to say. $ 215 is a very good price even though it's 2 years old hardware. You won't find such a versatile 10" tablet elsewhere with 3G/FauxG for a price that's close. AT&T = GSM, Verizon = CDMA. With voice this wouldn't work but I'm not sure about data.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/26/2013 at 03:56 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3. eqr
    Quote Originally Posted by fej180 View Post
    I was just looking on eBay at the NIB Touchpad 4G's and there aren't many on there. I have a 32 GB wifi version that I got from the firesale but its getting old and I want to upgrade it with the 4G version. They are going with Buy It Now for roughly $215 which isn't bad at all.

My plan was to wait another month and see if ACL is actually available from PIC or not and make my final decision at that point, but it seems like there aren't many available and I don't want to miss my chance to get one. Do you think what is left on eBay might be close to the last ones available?

Also, is it true that if you get an AT&T version, you can unlock it to work with a Verizon sim card?

Thanks for your help!
    GSM and CDMA are not compatible systems. CDMA doesn't use SIM cards, so you'll probably have trouble finding a Verizon SIM card.

No one on the planet knows how many NIB Touchpads are left, but I personally know that at some point, they will all be gone.

If you want one, buy it now. They may be gone by next month, or maybe next year.
    'Go for it' would be my advice ~ ACL or no ACL!
    There can't be that many left.
    That is a good price NIB, considering that many probably paid that for a 16Gb Wifi only TP back at F'sale time, when the TP4G was merely a mouthwatering rumour that has since dropped in price too.
    I have CM10 installed (Android 4.1.2) and a 60 second re-boot later, I have all the 'Android' I could need anyway.

AT&T unlocked takes most Data SIMs as far as I can see...

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/26/2013 at 05:46 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.

Thanks for your help!
    One less! Just got mine
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice guys. There are some labeled as Unlocked or comes with unlock code. I know that if its unlocked you should be able to use it on other carriers other than AT&T. Which carriers would that be if its not Verizon?
  7. eqr
    Thanks for the advice guys. There are some labeled as Unlocked or comes with unlock code. I know that if its unlocked you should be able to use it on other carriers other than AT&T. Which carriers would that be if its not Verizon?
    Only GSM carriers. In the USA, that would be ATT and T-Mobile, plus a handful or two of small regional carriers.

Again, the technology is NOT compatible. An unlocked ATT device will not take a Verizon SIM - Because there is no such thing as a Verizon SIM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I just bought it . Now that I know it will work with T-Mobile, I checked and I have good coverage in the areas I would need it. They also have a $30/month unlimited data with the first 5GB at 4G speeds. I think I will go with that option.

Thanks again for your help!
    Remy X and Mutoidi like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eqr View Post
    Only GSM carriers. In the USA, that would be ATT and T-Mobile, plus a handful or two of small regional carriers.

Again, the technology is NOT compatible. An unlocked ATT device will not take a Verizon SIM - Because there is no such thing as a Verizon SIM.
    A Verizon LTE SIM is a SIM, but the older CDMA-only devices don't have one at all
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    A Verizon LTE SIM is a SIM, but the older CDMA-only devices don't have one at all
    Yes I have a Verizon 4G LTE and it does have a SIM card. Are you suggesting that my Verizon SIM card might work in the touchpad?
    Yes I have a Verizon 4G LTE and it does have a SIM card. Are you suggesting that my Verizon SIM card might work in the touchpad?
    You can always try :-) I think LTE and 3G for that matter use a technique calles WCDMA but not sure about that. Could be it's the same technique for AT&T and VZW. I'm in GSM country so I have no clue about CDMA and it's workings ;-)

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Verizon? Nah, i doubt they'll activate anything that isn't whitelisted in their system. Verizon and Sprint have a "no poaching" agreement, that they do not cross-activate each other's devices, and as a result, they don't take foreign CDMA devices either. This may have changed for LTE, but i cannot confirm either way.

But since you're asking about LTE, there are a couple of Sierra LTE comm boards for the Touchpad (& GO). They are of course quite rare, with Sierra 7700 working under webOS, but 7710 only under Android.

See this post: wtb: veer, pre2 or pre 3 gsm unlocked

They are GSM+LTE modules, so even if you succeeded in activating on Verizon, there's no CDMA fallback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You can always try :-) I think LTE and 3G for that matter use a technique calles WCDMA but not sure about that. Could be it's the same technique for AT&T and VZW. I'm in GSM country so I have no clue about CDMA and it's workings ;-)

I think WCDMA is HSPA+ and TDMA is the original GSM voice protocol... i could be wrong, but Google would know
    No, AT&T devices sadly do not accept VZW LTE SIM cards. Its because they all operate on different frequency bands
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    RumoredNow likes this.
    If you choose to fit a Sierra MC7700 LTE Radio/Modem Adaptor - it might well, as webOS 3.0.5 has inbuilt Linux drivers for both the Ericsson (fitted as standard) & Sierra Cards.

Sierra MC7700 Mini PCI E 3G Hspa LTE 100MBP Wireless Wwan Wlan Card GPS Unlocked | eBay

I think 'Herrie' played around with an MC7710 in Europe without so much luck in webOS - but OK in Android?

Here in Aus. LTE rollout is still chaos - with major Telcoms still squabbling over frequency bands etc.
    it is intended to use the old Alalogue TV band 700 frequency... eventually!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/26/2013 at 10:44 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Well... just a few words...

Evolution direct hierarchy:

TDMA => GSM (GPRS [1G - theoretical 115 Kbps] => EDGE [2G - theoretical 473 Kbps]) => WCDMA Or UMTS (3G - theoretical 2 Mbps) => HSDPA (3,5G - theoretical 7.2 Mbps) => HSDPA+ (3,5G theoretical 21 Mbps) ) => LTE (4G - theoretical 300 Mbps to download and 75 Mbps for upload)

The "WCDMA" have this name because uses the same "structure of comunication" between the cellphone & the carrier's antenna used in CDMA... but only this. All the rest of technology; patents included, is different. (Sleep with this... Qualcomm).

About the frequencies:

Quote:
    Band 1, 2100MHz (Japan, Philippines, South Korea);
    Band 3, 1800MHz (Australia, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, Singapore, Slovenia, Slovakia, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, UK)
    Band 4, 1700MHz (AT&T in the United States)
    Band 7, 2600MHz (Austria, Brazil, Canada, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland)
    Band 17, 700MHz (AT&T and Verizon in the United States, Canada)

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Remy X and dmlis like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    If you choose to fit a Sierra MC7700 LTE Radio/Modem Adaptor - it might well, as webOS 3.0.5 has inbuilt Linux drivers for both the Ericsson (fitted as standard) & Sierra Cards.

Sierra MC7700 Mini PCI E 3G Hspa LTE 100MBP Wireless Wwan Wlan Card GPS Unlocked | eBay

I think 'Herrie' played around with an MC7710 in Europe without so much luck in webOS - but OK in Android?

Here in Aus. LTE rollout is still chaos - with major Telcoms still squabbling over frequency bands etc.
    it is intended to use the old Alalogue TV band 700 frequency... eventually!

Yes MC7710 is OK in Android, seem recognized by kernel in webOS but cannot get signal bars and doesn't show up in Device Info->Test and doesn't work

It could be the "firmware" on my MC7710 is the problem but I have no idea how to update it. So my MC7710 is laying around doing nothing at the moment
    I just bought it . Now that I know it will work with T-Mobile, I checked and I have good coverage in the areas I would need it. They also have a $30/month unlimited data with the first 5GB at 4G speeds. I think I will go with that option.

Thanks again for your help!
    You will need to check with T-Mobile where you live. The TouchPad 4G operates on 850, 1900, & 2100 MHz for HSPA+. AT&T uses 850 & 1900 MHZ and the 2100MHz is mainly for travels to Europe. T-Mobile uses 1700MHz for HSPA+, but are re-farming some 1900MHz. It may not work for you if T-Mobile is running on 1700Mhz in your area. You can get 3GB plan from AT&T for $30/month.
    TouchPad 4G, TouchPad 32GB w/4.4.4
    I have a 4G that has been turned on a few times for development testing, but other than that, it's sitting here awaiting the eventual heat death of the universe, or whenever my original fire sale regular TouchPad finally gives out, whichever comes first.

(I swear I think mine is invincible, I've dropped it dozens of times, it travels with me everywhere I go, and I do a lot of airplane travel, it gets bounced around like crazy, and not so much as a scratch. My girlfriend, however, who babies her stuff, has managed to break the casing and is starting to suffer a loose screen on hers, and it's her second one, after HP replaced the first one after only 4 months or so)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks again for all of the helpful advice, I was supposed to get the package today but according to the tracking info it was out for delivery and then it switched to "mis-sent" whatever that means. I am going to contact them tomorrow and try to get some more details.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast