Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By bethel95
  • 3 Post By alonhzn
  1.    #1  
    Hey, guys. I'm hoping you can help me.

    I had not been using my Touchpad all that often. I had let it power all the way down, and when I charged it back up, I lost the current date and time. It was stuck on in 1901, or something.

    I recently turned it off, then back on. Now it is stuck on the black screen with the "HP" logo in the black circle. Every time I try to power it off, it reboots back to the logo screen.

    Does this have anything to do with the upgrade I never completed, and how do I fix it?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  
    Boot looping...

    If you say you had an incomplete OTA update, that could easily screw things up. It's happened to my Mom's Pre.

    You could just Doctor and be done with it, but i don't know if i should suggest that, in case you have some data on it you are afraid to lose...
  3. #3  
    At the risk of giving GMMan a stroke, I'd have to +1 Remy X on this one. If you've been running Save/Restore, you could do one last copy off of your backups before doctoring, if you can get to USB mode (or to a terminal session?).

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Mutoidi, xandros9 and ananimus like this.
  4. alonhzn's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #4  
    Stuck on "HP"
    We all got stuck on "HP"... and "LG" is no better.
    sshaka, MikeN68 and ananimus like this.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, it's been a few months. Life got in the way. Sorry.

    Well, I got almost everything in working order. I doctored it up, and so far so good. I have to download a lot of my apps again, and re-install all my homebrew stuff, but I didn't have much, so that's no problem.

    My main problem now is that my App Catalog is gone, so I can't get to download any of my apps.

    I was doing some reading about an update that I missed--July 23rd? If I don't have the app catalog, how do I fix that?

    How do I get the catalog back? Thanks!
    Last edited by Friday63; 11/10/2013 at 11:28 PM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday63 View Post
    Yeah, it's been a few months. Life got in the way. Sorry.

    Well, I got almost everything in working order. I doctored it up, and so far so good. I have to download a lot of my apps again, and re-install all my homebrew stuff, but I didn't have much, so that's no problem.

    My main problem now is that my App Catalog is gone, so I can't get to download any of my apps.

    I was doing some reading about an update that I missed--July 23rd? If I don't have the app catalog, how do I fix that?

    How do I get the catalog back? Thanks!
    See this post for the simplest answer. If that doesn't work, there are more details--just let us know how this turns out.

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  7. traveld's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #7  
    Is doctoring the only solution? I've heard about it, but don't exactly know what it is and how to do it? Can someone provide a link or additional information on how to fix my TP. It's been stuck on the logo since Christmas EVe and I don't know how to get my TP back.

    I was going to use my MapTool Pro to navigate my trip which starts tomorroe, but I guess that is totally out of the question now.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by traveld View Post
    Is doctoring the only solution? I've heard about it, but don't exactly know what it is and how to do it? Can someone provide a link or additional information on how to fix my TP. It's been stuck on the logo since Christmas EVe and I don't know how to get my TP back.

    I was going to use my MapTool Pro to navigate my trip which starts tomorroe, but I guess that is totally out of the question now.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Here are the doctors. Find the latest version for your model (wifi or AT&T) WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

    You need java.com: Java + You

    Run the .jar file you downloaded from the webOS Internals link above
    Put your TouchPad into recovery mode (shut down the TouchPad (or try at least) and as it restarts hold down the power and volume up buttons until the USB symbol appears
    Connect it to your PC/Mac
    Just follow the steps that the jar file says

    Easy stuff.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  9. traveld's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Here are the doctors. Find the latest version for your model (wifi or AT&T) WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

    You need java.com: Java + You

    Run the .jar file you downloaded from the webOS Internals link above
    Put your TouchPad into recovery mode (shut down the TouchPad (or try at least) and as it restarts hold down the power and volume up buttons until the USB symbol appears
    Connect it to your PC/Mac
    Just follow the steps that the jar file says

    Easy stuff.
    Thanks.
    I will give this a try and keep my fingers crossed.
    I'll let you know if it works.
  10. #10  
    Is the device in developer mode? If so you can use novaterm on linux or mac (windows is more tricky) to check the logs to see what is happening. If you don't have the device in developer mode, you can't triage the problem. In that case, doctoring is about all you have left.
  11. traveld's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Is the device in developer mode? If so you can use novaterm on linux or mac (windows is more tricky) to check the logs to see what is happening. If you don't have the device in developer mode, you can't triage the problem. In that case, doctoring is about all you have left.
    No, as far as I know I'm not in developer mode. I'm going to try the doctor now.
    Got my fingers crossed. Wish me luck
  12. traveld's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #12  
    I'm not sure what is supposed to be happening. I downloaded the doctor file and connected the TP to my laptop per the instructions, the USB symbol is on the TP. It's been like that for almost 2 hours. Is that what is supposed to happen? Did I do it correctly? How do I know if it's running the doctor?

    What would happen if I started if up again?
    What should I be seeing?

    Sorry for being totally helpless and clueless, Appreciate anymore advice.

    Thanks
  13. #13  
    The doctor doesn't start on its own. With the touchpad connected in recovery mode, start the doctor on your pc by doubleclicking the file you downloaded. It will open a new window on your pc with a few steps to start the process. Once started, it will display the progress in %age numbers. Do not disconnect the touchpad, even if there seems to be no progress. It's normal for the values to halt for a while at different stages of the process.
    Last edited by DocJones; 01/04/2014 at 03:52 AM.
  14. traveld's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    The doctor doesn't start on its own. With the touchpad connected in recovery mode, start the doctor on your pc by doubleclicking the file you downloaded. It will open a new window on your pc with a few steps to start the process. Once started, it will display the progress in %age numbers. Do not disconnect the touchpad, even if there seems to be no progress. It's normal for the values to halt for a while at different stages of the process.
    Hmm. Not sure what happened, but I definitely did not get a window on the PC with any steps. The PC did notthing, the tablet did nothig. But... after a few hours of nothing, I finally unplugged the the TP from the PC, reset the TP and lo and behold it started up like nothing had gone wrong and everything was just as it was before the problem appeared. I am at a loss since I don't know what coujld have caused this to happen in the first place.

    But I do thank everyone who provided assistance. I hope this doesn't happen again, but at least I know there is help out there when needed. Thanks to all of you.

    I do have another question now though. Having gone through this I wanted to check my backup. Fortunately, it was backing up daily. The last backup was the day before the problem surfaced. It is not backing up now. I tried to do a manual backup, but although it starts, it gets about 80% through and then i get a message saying backup failed to complete. Any ideas on how to get this fixed?
  15. traveld's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #15  
    There is still something wrong with the TP. It will not download. I tried running the App Update and another test app, but all it does is indicate Downloading, but it never finishes, so i'm guessing that it's not happening.

    I also tried to open this forum discussion. I can get to the forum, but can't open any of the threads.

    Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Similar Threads

  1. pre 3 "stuck at 12%", but boots into "ill" webos
    By schmackolino in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04/29/2013, 05:38 PM
  2. Preware gets "Stuck" on "Optware" install.
    By wilski3 in forum WebOS Internals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04/21/2012, 01:19 AM
  3. preware save/restore stuck on "loading archive data"
    By X-Nemesis in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12/27/2011, 08:22 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12/05/2011, 09:23 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06/09/2006, 06:06 AM

Posting Permissions