Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Yes. But has anybody actually got it?
    you would think someone around these forums would be a tester and would be able to confirm that it was released without providing any other info. Gives me doubts. But there also is nobody confirming that it hasn't been released either. . .
    Here in Paris, one of our members (WebOs France) has the beta since yesterday.

We won't know much more about it accordingly to the NDA

Many of your posts on this thread are very negative on ACL while it's the only active news for webos, probably for quite some time.
    I would say to them: Give it a chance, it's one of very last hopes for the users; why don't you keep your energy for something more positive than bashing. It's summertime guys.
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 08/07/2013 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayenberg View Post
    Many of your posts on this thread are very negative on ACL........ Give it a chance, it's one of very last hopes for the users; why don't you keep your energy for something more positive than bashing.
    because they have built up such a bad reputation, this isnt something that just started on the kickstarter project, ACL/OM have been "promising" ACL since 2011, thats 2+ years of no product but still advertising on their site that its "available to buy now" or coming soon(tm).

bashing without a reason, yeah id agree with you 100% on anything of the sort, however this is far from the case, also factor in that ACL has only come to light (maybe?) on the long since out of production touchpad/webOS and they have been courting other OS groups for longer than us and they still havent delivered on those groups that are still waiting.

How many people think 2+ years of promise/waiting is more than "giving it a chance"? esp on our platform considering it will only be of use on 1 device, the touchpad and even then only on vanilla webOS, not open webOS.

all these delays dont help touchpad users given the time involved.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    because they have built up such a bad reputation, this isnt something that just started on the kickstarter project, ACL/OM have been "promising" ACL since 2011, thats 2+ years of no product but still advertising on their site that its "available to buy now" or coming soon(tm).

bashing without a reason, yeah id agree with you 100% on anything of the sort, however this is far from the case, also factor in that ACL has only come to light (maybe?) on the long since out of production touchpad/webOS and they have been courting other OS groups for longer than us and they still havent delivered on those groups that are still waiting.

How many people think 2+ years of promise/waiting is more than "giving it a chance"? esp on our platform considering it will only be of use on 1 device, the touchpad and even then only on vanilla webOS, not open webOS.

all these delays dont help touchpad users given the time involved.
    I agree but you have to admit that there is a disproportion in the attitude we give to PIC and WebOS Internals. If you think about it, WebOS Internals also didn't deliver the port they are making. If you ask around, people will say that it's OK because it's voluntary (although they did get thousands of dollars in donations) and porting is a really difficult job and so on... Well, ACL is also a difficult job and they should get the same credit we give to WebOS Internals.
    The first rule of ACL beta is:

1) You don't talk about ACL beta.
    Remy X and TopTongueBarry like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    I agree but you have to admit that there is a disproportion in the attitude we give to PIC and WebOS Internals. If you think about it, WebOS Internals also didn't deliver the port they are making. If you ask around, people will say that it's OK because it's voluntary (although they did get thousands of dollars in donations) and porting is a really difficult job and so on... Well, ACL is also a difficult job and they should get the same credit we give to WebOS Internals.
    WebOS Internals never makes promises on delivery... They deliver what they have when it's ready.

No one from Internals promised a port. They quietly said they are working on it. They've delivered an Alpha and an Alpha 2 on the GNex Port. There still is no promise on a Beta. They just do, not talk. And they declined another funding round this summer.

OpenMobile has been shouting to anyone who would listen that ACL is a done deal and ready to roll for oh so many platforms since CES in January 2011. It has yet to be delivered to any OEM or consumer on any platform and reach the hands of an average consumer. ACL for TouchPad will cost an estimated $30 a copy. That's one expensive App. How many Apps have any of us bought for $30??? Never mind performance... Assume it works for the majority of Gingerbread level Apps. $30 is a lot for that in 2013. That price would have been jumped on in 2011 and the TP market was larger with more focus on it (free word of mouth). It would have sold in 2011 like it never will in almost 2014 already with Gingerbread failing fast support-wise. OpenMobile failed to power through on their own and finish this thing. Why does it require a $30,000 bribe from the community to finish their own work??? WTH kind of business model is that???

"I've got the product you want. *Yawn* Just can't be bothered to polish it and push it out the door... Ooo look, Tizen. Yo Tizen-boy, I got' some ACL here for you too. *Psst, stop pestering me, little MeeGo orphan* Yeah, Tizen, me and you are gonna go places in the coming months. *Thanks for the cash for new offices, big daddy Samsung* What's that PIC? Sure, plop your $30k on the table over there and we'll dust something off for you to play with..."

DISGUSTING and UnEthical - that's what kind of business model OM has.

Compare them to WebOS Internals and or the Ports Team? How can you???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    In the mean time... JC got bluetooth working on Android.. Just saying..
  8.    #48  
    Here in Paris, one of our members (WebOs France) has the beta since yesterday.

We won't know much more about it accordingly to the NDA

Many of your posts on this thread are very negative on ACL while it's the only active news for webos, probably for quite some time.
    I would say to them: Give it a chance, it's one of very last hopes for the users; why don't you keep your energy for something more positive than bashing. It's summertime guys.
    I just think because its the only news we have to look forward to and its all we have to get excited about plus all the previous disappointment adds up to a nervous and negative population. I personally am 50/50 that this will actually see the light of day and knowing this I still contributed to the kickstarter hoping that they are operating in good faith. So far I feel like they are even with the delays. Seems as though they have been fairly transparent and haven't operated in a way that makes it seem as though they have taken the money and run.
    Quote Originally Posted by danimal62 View Post
    In the mean time... JC got bluetooth working on Android.. Just saying..
    ?

There is one small but very important difference: WebOS Internals only requests donations for things that are already delivered to end users, never for future promises.

When OM actually delivers something publicly available to end users without NDA, then they should be judged fairly on that product.

-- Rod
    Remy X, Rnp and cuspie like this.
    ?
    JC Sullins ported JB 4.2 with working BT to TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    JC Sullins ported JB 4.2 with working BT to TP.
    weve already had jellybeans with working bluetooth tho :/
    weve already had jellybeans with working bluetooth tho :/
    If I eat a lot of jellybeans I get blue teeth
    Remy X and Buddy1969 like this.
    DISGUSTING and UnEthical - that's what kind of business model OM has.

Compare them to WebOS Internals and or the Ports Team? How can you???

I could shock one's opinion here, but putting things on a cold pragmatic point of view, who is closer to something new and usable for webos before 2014?

I laud the dedication given by the homebrewers, internal and ports, since four years.
    But we're all trapped since Hp gave up production two years ago and the half life in which webos chokes is now longer than the live period that started in june 2009.

Without new machines scheduled , webos has lost ever since and every day more of its credibilty
    Who are the developpers using Enyo?
    Which company has choosen open webos since its launch?

Having our interface able to run a good part of Android catalog is a chance we cannot spoil to see new software on our touchpads...
    And someday new hardware, maybe.
    renater likes this.
    Well, ACL is also a difficult job and they should get the same credit we give to WebOS Internals.
    WebOS Internals earned their credit with mountain of released stuff, some of it does have some weird-*** names ending with ~tah. Few years ago even Saurik (guy behin Cidia) mentioned them in his keynote. On other hand, OpenMobile released few vids on youtube. They also created some "badwill" with broken promises before.
    Anyway, I'm also surprised with this mostly negative attitude toward MO.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/07/2013 at 05:35 PM.
    Remy X and geekpeter like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    WebOS Internals earned their credit with mountain of released stuff, some of it does have some weird-*** names ending with ~tah. OpenMobile released few vids on youtube. They also created some "badwill" with broken promises before.
    Anyway, I'm also surprised with this mostly negative attitude toward MO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sledge007 and RumoredNow like this.
    I could shock one's opinion here, but putting things on a cold pragmatic point of view, who is closer to something new and usable for webos before 2014?

I laud the dedication given by the homebrewers, internal and ports, since four years.
    But we're all trapped since Hp gave up production two years ago and the half life in which webos chokes is now longer than the live period that started in june 2009.

Without new machines scheduled , webos has lost ever since and every day more of its credibilty
    Who are the developpers using Enyo?
    Which company has choosen open webos since its launch?

Having our interface able to run a good part of Android catalog is a chance we cannot spoil to see new software on our touchpads...
    And someday new hardware, maybe.
    Look, LG is working on a new webOS-powered device, however immobile it will be, and then there's been a whole lot of progress in solving the graphics acceleration issue in the webOS port using Wayland. We got the updated cloud service certificates and the crippled old app store is still up. It could have been a lot worse.

When you're talking about reputation and credibility, how can you compare Internals with OpenMobile? "Losing credibility" with the passage of time is nothing compared to losing credibility due to broken promises and lies (ACL "buy now"/"ready to download" and other lies on OM website)...

Guess what? The main problem that ACL is facing is the same one that Ports is facing... hardware accelerated graphics. And Internals/Ports is a whole lot closer to solving it than OpenMobile, judging by their videos. Think well before you choose sides
    bradmeister1 likes this.
    I donated $5 just to be nice! I hope my money goes to good use
    creepingmee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Look, LG is working on a new webOS-powered device, however immobile it will be, and then there's been a whole lot of progress in solving the graphics acceleration issue in the webOS port using Wayland. We got the updated cloud service certificates and the crippled old app store is still up. It could have been a lot worse.

When you're talking about reputation and credibility, how can you compare Internals with OpenMobile? "Losing credibility" with the passage of time is nothing compared to losing credibility due to broken promises and lies (ACL "buy now"/"ready to download" and other lies on OM website)...

Guess what? The main problem that ACL is facing is the same one that Ports is facing... hardware accelerated graphics. And Internals/Ports is a whole lot closer to solving it than OpenMobile, judging by their videos. Think well before you choose sides
    Sides? There shouldn't be sides to choose from. It should all be part of the webOS pot. Stop bashing the crap out of ACL and relax. The last bunch of videos showed various news apps playing videos back at good speed. The bashing is over the top. You act as though these people collected money from you then blew you off. They didn't. You didn't donate to the kickstarter and you never gave OM a penny, so just relax, soon enough they will put up or he forced to shut up! The bashing is just pissing people off and the whole choosing sides thing is divisive crap we as a tiny community don't need!
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Sides? There shouldn't be sides to choose from. It should all be part of the webOS pot. Stop bashing the crap out of ACL and relax. The last bunch of videos showed various news apps playing videos back at good speed. The bashing is over the top. You act as though these people collected money from you then blew you off. They didn't. You didn't donate to the kickstarter and you never gave OM a penny, so just relax, soon enough they will put up or he forced to shut up! The bashing is just pissing people off and the whole choosing sides thing is divisive crap we as a tiny community don't need!
    people are angry exactly because ACL should have appeared back in 2011 when it would have mattered, yet its been laballed as "available", an available product shouldnt need a 3rd party (PIC) to launch a kickstarter project for funds on a supposedly "completed/available" product, and then have to wait even longer than the 2 years of current wait and then only on 1 dead platform/device.

i'd hardly call that "bashing" and if it is, its hardly without reason, in fact its far from it, you should probably go check the forums of the other OS platforms that still have nothing after a longer wait than us.

Personally i did donate for the whole put up or shut up thing, and ive also seen their vids, their not much different to the exact same vids they showed back in 2011.

i suppose everyones main question is why are we waiting for something thats been complete for so long, and why did it take PIC launching a funding project to get anywhere. Also add in that after this does appear, thats 1 single product they will have released but stuck to 1 singular device, not even 1 operating system but just 1 out of production device.

i personally dont even comprehend why someone would take the "just wait and see" stance when thats exactly what we and other OS platforms have been doing for a considerable amount of time.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast