• 1 Post By mrmarquis9
  • 2 Post By Mutoidi
  • 2 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 2 Post By mrmarquis9
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 3 Post By mrmarquis9
  1.    #1  
    I think HP should have released the HP Touchpad 2 before they sold elements of WebOS to LG.

HP could have released a new touchpad with Android Jelly Bean and WebOS on dual boot.

The new Touchpad with would have sold thanks to Android Jelly Bean.

This would have allowed the continued development of WebOS on new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebilly View Post
    I think HP should have released the HP Touchpad 2 before they sold elements of WebOS to LG.

HP could have released a new touchpad with Android Jelly Bean and WebOS on dual boot.

Actually no because the hp touchpad already had a bad reputation. With no developers working on the platform it would have died anyway :/
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Certainly if a hardware producer (HP in this case) is going to make a big show of 'taking on' Apple et all.. and publicly banding around some quite high spec levels first, then the Reviewers (most of whom, I honestly believe, really wanted to 'like' the Touchpad), are bound to be thoroughly disappointed when the thing they are finally holding in their hands behaves like a sluggish, temperamental, glitchy, under-developed, over-self-logging and over priced piece of sh*te, despite it's brilliant UI!

HP chickened-out FAR to early in proceedings in my opinion.

They should have run with the ball, kept chucking $'s at Devs and OS/TTS phone compatability updates etc, hung on in - and then made the lovely TP'Go' model the 'Touchpad2' I feel - literally YEARS ahead of 'The Fruits' antics.

This then would have given HP the 'kick off' with which to then expand and improve the range - and the OS - and the Apps - and even an Android ACL?

But no....

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/08/2013 at 05:14 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X and fxspec06 like this.
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Time to let the dust settle and move on.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Time to let the dust settle and move on.
    It's called 'discussion'!
    Dust settling time occurred long ago!
    I'll stick with webOS thanks, as long as the H'ware continues to FUNction!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    cbosdell and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    Actually no because the hp touchpad already had a bad reputation. With no developers working on the platform it would have died anyway :/
    Thanks for demotivating webOS developers. There are still developers left. Not many, but they are there still. There are even some new apps coming. Don't demotivate the developers that are still around please.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    It's called 'discussion'!
    Never said it isn't. I just pointed out that the subjunctive in connection with things that never happened are quite pointless to my opinion. So yes, one can discuss what would have happened if the Touchpad would have surpassed sales numbers of the iPad even at a price of 1000,- $ per piece. It just don't lead to anything.
    That's what I meant. And yes, I am entitled to my opinion as well as you are entitled to discuss pointless subjunctives.

Dust settling time occurred long ago!
    Not really. As long as someone still stirrs up "what would have happened if HP did this or that in the past"-themes, the dust from past christmas is always tickling our noses, as far as I'm concerned.
    But yes, I could always ignore those threads.
    Mostly I do.
    Mostly ...

I'll stick with webOS thanks, as long as the H'ware continues to FUNction!
    That's perfectly ok. I still have my TP in use. And yes, I am a fan too. But I rather look into the future, towards new products (not necessarily WebOS related) on the one hand and towards where WebOS Ports/LG/OM/PIC are carrying the torch on the other hand.
    Looking forward, other than looking backwards to things that never were.
    That's what I meant.

But keep on opening threads like that. They are a) quite amusing sometimes and b) keeping some zombie life in the forums Thanks for that BTW.
    (Still I think it's pointless for above reasons...)

War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by thebilly View Post

HP/Leo didnt want too, that was the issue, it wasnt that webOS was doing bad (didnt live long enough to even try) it was the fact that Leo's vision for HP was only for enterprise/printer products, HP almost lost their PC division as well when they were the no1 PC sellers and Leo tried to shelve that as well as webOS.

webOS was shelved when the touchpad had barely been out a few months and the pre3 was shelved (in europe) on its very launch day.

Yeah i'd have loved a newer touchpad as well, just that wasnt part of their plan. actually no, i wouldnt have wanted a new touchpad, i'd have settled for the Touchpad GO tbh.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I love my Touchpad but I kinda have to agree with GeekPeter: the Go would've been awesome to have as a TP 2! I would never ever consider a 7" tablet except for the TP Go. I dunno, it's just so appealing and webOS of course would work so great on it that you would hardly notice the smaller screen except in maybe games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Never said it isn't. I just pointed out that the subjunctive in connection with things that never happened are quite pointless to my opinion. So yes, one can discuss what would have happened if the Touchpad would have surpassed sales numbers of the iPad even at a price of 1000,- $ per piece. It just don't lead to anything.
    That's what I meant. And yes, I am entitled to my opinion as well as you are entitled to discuss pointless subjunctives.

Not really. As long as someone still stirrs up "what would have happened if HP did this or that in the past"-themes, the dust from past christmas is always tickling our noses, as far as I'm concerned.
    But yes, I could always ignore those threads.
    Mostly I do.
    Mostly ...

That's perfectly ok. I still have my TP in use. And yes, I am a fan too. But I rather look into the future, towards new products (not necessarily WebOS related) on the one hand and towards where WebOS Ports/LG/OM/PIC are carrying the torch on the other hand.
    Looking forward, other than looking backwards to things that never were.
    That's what I meant.

But keep on opening threads like that. They are a) quite amusing sometimes and b) keeping some zombie life in the forums Thanks for that BTW.
    (Still I think it's pointless for above reasons...)

What prompted my contribution to this discussion was actualy the conjecture of post above mine - not that below it!

"..Actually no because the hp touchpad already had a bad reputation. With no developers working on the platform it would have died anyway :/ .."

But, I also quite understand that if you have little interest in it - then it would probably be difficult to in turn contribute 'positively'.. yes!

However, I believe that HP DID actually come in at 'No 2' on Tablet sales for that Quarter, as the TP Firesale etc took place. I also find this a very interesting 'dynamic', as the HP Corporate Intention was actually achieved & manifested - but probably not quite in the 'fa$hion' in which they had hoped!
    Thus perhaps demonstrating the sheer power of 'Intent' alone?

Well.. I certainly 'look forward' to continuing to use the existing webOS hardware, without feeling in the slightest obliged to forever look towards 'new products' - because I simply don't need them!. So much for 'Touchpad 2' - as this Thread is entitled!

I also find the demographics of what actually occurred at HP in those years quite astounding, perplexing and yet also quite fascinating - I hope that someone one day actually writes an entire Book detailing them.. a 'look back' forever recorded *for* the future! (Derek?).

Thanks for sharing your opinions anyway..

Last edited by Mutoidi; 08/08/2013 at 01:44 PM.

there are/were some good books on the demise of commodore which bear soem resemblances to the fiasco at HP past and who knows maybe present, when the greed for $$ causes more disaster than good, Boardroom/CEO mistakes aplenty, they both share a very similar history in some respects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Thanks for demotivating webOS developers. There are still developers left. Not many, but they are there still. There are even some new apps coming. Don't demotivate the developers that are still around please.
    im sorry i didnt mean it in that sense. I'm saying android and ios simply have more apps. If HP would have made a hp touchpad and i wish they did but no many people would buy it unless we had more apps for webos.
    I want to see webos rise up and take on apple's ios platform! I always get asked what is this tiny phone im using and i say the hp veer. When they ask where can they get it i say ebay or amazon. Again I do appologize for my unseen rudeness.
    Remy X and Vistaus like this.
    I definitely prefer the GO over the original Touchpad due to the scratch and fingerprint-resistant "soft touch" back, higher DPI screen and rear-facing camera with flash...

But the new Nexus 7 that has just come out, almost matches the GO for me (including these three criteria), so i may well buy one sooner or later. I have just gotten the last year's, to work on OwOS, but as soon as i can retire it, it'll go in the car as a "navigation system" and i'll buy the newer one (when i can afford it, because legacy webOS phones will come first)... i like its notification LED, BTW
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    I want to see webos rise up and take on apple's ios platform! I always get asked what is this tiny phone im using and i say the hp veer. When they ask where can they get it i say ebay or amazon. Again I do appologize for my unseen rudeness.
    do they like the look of it? have they seen the whole operation/apps/os at work and liked that, or did they assume its a weird looking android device?

nice to hear some people take an interest even out of curiosity, and a shame they cant get them except via ebay/amazon.
    Vistaus and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    do they like the look of it? have they seen the whole operation/apps/os at work and liked that, or did they assume its a weird looking android device?

nice to hear some people take an interest even out of curiosity, and a shame they cant get them except via ebay/amazon.
    i let them hold it and mess with it for a bit. They seem to like it.
    Remy X, xandros9 and Vistaus like this.