Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By clemgrad85
  1.    #1  
    I have a TouchPad and Pre 3 and love being able to text on my TP via blue tooth connection to my Pre 3. I'm thinking of finally giving up the Pre 3 and looking into a Windows 8 phone. My question, is this ability to text via my Pre 3 still something that only works with the TouchPad/Pre 3 combination, or will other phones connect to my Touch Pad via blue tooth and allow for texting to work? It is extremely convenient to be able to text via the Touch Pad, but something is telling me that if I get a new phone, this will go the way of Palm. Anyone know the answer to this? Thanks.....
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    sadly i don't believe it works, just paired my 920, while it did connect without issue, as long as its connected as phone on the touchpad, from what i saw keyboard, audio and other did not find a device, either that or i didn't give it enough time to try and locate it, on the 920 it pairs with the touchpad and was designated as connected voice, tried sending a couple text messages to my wife and a message pop up can't be sent, needs to be connected to a phone, never thought about trying it previously, never really used it with my pre3 however convenient a feature
    Palm treo 700w wm5 (sprint), Palm treo 800w wm6.1(sprint), Palm treo pro wm 6.5.3 (sprint), Palm pre webOS 2.1(sprint), Palm pixi webOS 1.4.5 (sprint), Htc arrive wp nodo (sprint), Nokia lumia 900 wp 7.8 (ATT), Hp touchpad w/ LunaCE 4.9.10, Hp pre3 2.2.4 (ATT-unlocked)
    Bluetooth Profile MAP is required...

My wife has a iPad Mini and an iPhone4S, they can be linked to iMessage/FaceTime each other, but the iPad Mini can not text/Phone thru the iPhone4S, like webOS devices...

I have my Palm PrePlus (with webOS 2.2.4) linked to my Touchpad, it works awesome, (if they had the A6 chips in the Pre series, and developed it further then just URL links, it could have been cool)...

But I can not link my Phone with the Touchpad with Ice Cream Sandwich, only with webOS...

So unless the Phone and Tablet support MAP, then yes, but I have not seen it anywhere...

Another thing Palm got right (SMS Sharing/Phone Calls etc...)... To bad HP killed it...
  4.    #4  
    Well bummer But thanks for the replies. Ultimately, it won't stop me from eventually changing out either or both devices, but I use this feature quite a bit on weekends.....especially during football season. Sure is nice texting from the TP versus switching out devices. I can surf the net, text, and email all from my $149 TP. At least this will keep me from jumping too quickly to a new phone.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    agmorris1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

My wife has a iPad Mini and an iPhone4S, they can be linked to iMessage/FaceTime each other, but the iPad Mini can not text/Phone thru the iPhone4S, like webOS devices...

I have my Palm PrePlus (with webOS 2.2.4) linked to my Touchpad, it works awesome, (if they had the A6 chips in the Pre series, and developed it further then just URL links, it could have been cool)...

But I can not link my Phone with the Touchpad with Ice Cream Sandwich, only with webOS...

So unless the Phone and Tablet support MAP, then yes, but I have not seen it anywhere...

Another thing Palm got right (SMS Sharing/Phone Calls etc...)... To bad HP killed it...
    John, as long as both iDevices are on the same "network", be it bluetooth or wi-fi, the iPad can send sms. I used to do it all the time from my iPad 3. One note though, it only works if the recipient also has an iPhone.

Right now, the only tablet with the sms capability is the TouchPad. Android tablets can do it with TexTab installed on both the phone and tablet (similar with iOS as described above). Windows tablets (only x86-based) that have the SMS Editor in their bt software will also handle any phone with MAP.
    I've been using Google Voice for texts and I like it, although it can get a bit laggy for receiving texts when I'm not on wifi. SynerGV is available for TouchPad and Pre's and I've also got it on the android and iphone 'sides of life'. Plus the texts show up on my laptop using a little program GVNotify (no longer supported but works fine).
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I've been using Google Voice for texts and I like it, although it can get a bit laggy for receiving texts when I'm not on wifi. SynerGV is available for TouchPad and Pre's and I've also got it on the android and iphone 'sides of life'. Plus the texts show up on my laptop using a little program GVNotify (no longer supported but works fine).
    when using SynerGV, will it reply to all in group texts?
    Quote Originally Posted by calpolykc View Post
    when using SynerGV, will it reply to all in group texts?
    I don't really know - I don't get group texts. . . Here's what I found:

"Group messages from Android phones are sent as SMS messages, while group messages from iPhones are sent as MMS, and GV does not support MMS."
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

iphone 4 and beyond have the map Bluetooth profile installed. look at this link:iOS: Supported Bluetooth profiles
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    iphone 4 and beyond have the map Bluetooth profile installed. look at this link:iOS: Supported Bluetooth profiles
    I agree the iphone has MAP, however, I could/can not pair my wife's iphone4s and iPad mini, however, they are on the same apple ID but she can not send sms's (text) thru her iPad mini thru her iphone4s, she can imessage any apple user, but she can't text my palm phone...

She can sms (text) from her iphone4s... Still can't figure how to pair so she can make phone calls thru the iPad mini via Bluetooth...

If you know a way let me know...