Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    Finally got a hold of Mom's misplaced Touchpad, just in time for the Certificate update deadline.

    One problem though.... i threw it on the Touchstone and the bezel LED "twiddles". Switched to cord and 1.0A Palm charger, same thing. Switched to 2.0A charger. Is it actually charging at this point, or is the charging circuit right in front of the battery, meaning that the machine gets power from USB, but the battery doesn't?

    I'm not familiar with its circuit layout, so i'm a bit puzzled and intend to let it sit and charge for another hour before trying to power it on.

    But... does a "died in its sleep" Touchpad usually blink like that, or does it simply sit there with no life signs when you plug it in?


    Thanks


    P.S. An update for those who are waiting for my patches that i promised to put up two days ago... sorry, i'll do that tonight. I've been too busy fixing other people's computers to have any time for myself, but today i'm relatively free (with a big to-do list waiting for me)
  2. #2  
    cant remember if mine blinked or not, 1 of my touchpad skins has a cover for the front as well and even has a bit to stick over the led/notification button.

    with regards to signs of life, if you have the touchstone you dont even need to use your power on button, simply removing the touchpad form the touchstoen and reseating it will cause it to power-up.

    ofc when recharging it, we must remember that of the 4 orientations only 2 recharge the touchpad the remaining 2 orientations dont do squat.

    should ofc be seated so the home button is either bottom or right side, if the home button is top or left then it doesnt charge.

    if totally battery dead theres no signs of life for a small while, when theres enough power to actually do something they often show a charging logo in the screen so you know theres life, if not try removing/reseating from touchstone, see if the screen turns on after a small pause, if it doesnt then somethings gone wrong.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3.    #3  
    Thank you.

    I'm trickle-charging it on the 1.0A charger right now, tried Power+Home an hour ago, doesn't power on (not surprised)... will see how it behaves next morning.
  4. #4  
    dont think a 1a charge will do much to it esp from empty, i think when people mention trickle charge they just mean it slows down a negligable amount the time taken to run out of power, im pretty sure it never actually adds enough to the battery to do anything.

    Best option is the proper touchpad charger/barrel (and not any of the pre ones) or the touchpads touchstone.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  5. #5  
    No, trickle charging (500mA - via PC USB/underpowered chargers etc) for -->24hrs has been know to successfully sneak enough charge back into the battery to allow the otherwise 'dead' TP to then at least 'recognise' it's own battery and boot!


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
  6.    #6  
    @geekpeter,

    Alright.

    It's been dead at 0% for over a month (5% or less charge when it was lost 3 months ago), and some people have said that the 1.0A charger is better at "tricking" the charging circuit into working than the full 2.0 Amps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    No, trickle charging (500mA - via PC USB/underpowered chargers etc) for -->24hrs has been know to successfully sneak enough charge back into the battery to allow the otherwise 'dead' TP to then at least 'recognise' it's own battery and boot!

    500mA?

    I'll try using the laptop then

    Thanks for the clarification

    Now that i think about it, i don't care about the deadline. I have the updated certs on my own TP that i can push over WOSQI when and if this one finally boots up.
  7.    #7  
    Hey, what's at the "top" (opposite of USB connector) side of the Touchpad? At 1.0A, that area has gotten relatively warm compared to the rest of the case...
  8. eqr
    eqr is offline
    eqr's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    #8  
    The only charger I have for my Go is a Palm 1Amp. I assume it was intended for a Pre or ???

    It charges the Go just fine, but always pops up a message telling me that the device "may not charge, connect charger that came with unit." Since the Go gets very little use, it's battery often runs down to zero, but always comes back to life. One thing I do notice is that the Go won't power up with charger attached until battery accumulates some charge.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by eqr View Post
    The only charger I have for my Go is a Palm 1Amp. I assume it was intended for a Pre or ???

    It charges the Go just fine, but always pops up a message telling me that the device "may not charge, connect charger that came with unit." Since the Go gets very little use, it's battery often runs down to zero, but always comes back to life. One thing I do notice is that the Go won't power up with charger attached until battery accumulates some charge.
    Interesting...

    But with the Touchpad's design flaw/oddity (charging circuit powered by battery), i think every time that happens, it's still a bit of a gamble...

    Good luck with your GO
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    500mA?.
    Yes - 0.5 Amp. (@ 5V-ish).


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes - 0.5 Amp. (@ 5V-ish).

    I figured... i was just surprised to hear that the 1.0A phone charger was still too much...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Finally got a hold of Mom's misplaced Touchpad, just in time for the Certificate update deadline.

    One problem though.... i threw it on the Touchstone and the bezel LED "twiddles". Switched to cord and 1.0A Palm charger, same thing. Switched to 2.0A charger. Is it actually charging at this point, or is the charging circuit right in front of the battery, meaning that the machine gets power from USB, but the battery doesn't?

    I'm not familiar with its circuit layout, so i'm a bit puzzled and intend to let it sit and charge for another hour before trying to power it on.

    But... does a "died in its sleep" Touchpad usually blink like that, or does it simply sit there with no life signs when you plug it in?


    Thanks


    P.S. An update for those who are waiting for my patches that i promised to put up two days ago... sorry, i'll do that tonight. I've been too busy fixing other people's computers to have any time for myself, but today i'm relatively free (with a big to-do list waiting for me)
    quick question is it bad to trickle charge all the time?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    quick question is it bad to trickle charge all the time?
    No, you're fine.

    Aside from being annoyingly slow (0.5A from computer or 1.0A from Palm barrel charger, versus the full 2.0A) and not very practical, there's nothing wrong with trickle-charging.

    On an unrelated note, trickle charging dead lead-acid (automotive) batteries is a whole lot safer than fast-charging them, where if you're not careful, one of the chambers in the battery could burst and cause it to lose most of its capacity... uncapping the vents will keep that from happening, but the hotter the battery (with fast charging), the more acid fumes you gotta deal with. So trickle-charging overnight with the vents uncapped is both, easy on the battery, and easy on the lungs....

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! Left for vacation with Pre 3 charging.
    By kajong in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04/29/2012, 09:42 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09/01/2011, 01:39 AM
  3. Up=Right, Down=Left, Left=Up, Right=Down wtf? 5way button fix
    By grundler in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02/13/2007, 11:42 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12/05/2005, 01:50 PM
  5. Scroll Bar to the Left for left-handed people?
    By gmoj in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07/30/2004, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions