Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  1.    #1  
    Sorry for creating a new thread, but I didn't want to get lost in history. I started receiving the "Not Enough Space To Download" error message this week when I tried to accept/install a Softick Solitaire update. I had no idea what it was, since I still had 14.4 GBs available on my 32 GB Touchpad, so I started searching and reading the similar related threads from 2011. I first deleted some apps that I never use and that allowed the Solitaire update to proceed. But then I thought I better dig further. So I followed the instructions in this thread:

"Not Enough Space to Download" after 3.0.4

installed Xecutah and Tweaks and did the search for large files and came up with the attached results. If I read this correctly, I have a problem with my dev/mapper/store-var file being 95% full. However, when I look at it using Jason's InternalzPro, it shows it as 0B?

Would someone who is much smarter about this please advise what I should do next?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What I do know is that you want to clear out some junk in your /var directory. What I'm not sure is how to explain this to someone that doesn't know developer mode and command prompts. I had this problem come up, and it was because I had almost 2 years worth of website cookies and other crap that I didn't need.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Remy X likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    What I do know is that you want to clear out some junk in your /var directory. What I'm not sure is how to explain this to someone that doesn't know developer mode and command prompts. I had this problem come up, and it was because I had almost 2 years worth of website cookies and other crap that I didn't need.
    eblade, thanks for your reply! If you have the time and want to write the instructions, I'd be willing to give it a try. Can it be done using Xecutah or do I need to connect to my PC?
    Well, once you get a command prompt, or I guess use Internalz or Commander or something like that, so you can have a look at what's in /var ..

it's sort of deciding what is junk, and what isn't. The download database was the first thing that went for me, and that didn't really free up enough space, so then I noticed I had several megabytes of ancient flash data and cookies in there. If you don't mind ditching all cookies, you can just clear those from the browser's app menu. Not sure if there's a method for clearing out the Adobe Flash data.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Follow the instructions in this tip---

Fix "Not Enough Storage to Download" error (homebrew) | webOS Nation

I think you only have to delete one file. Typically there is usually plenty of space when this error occurs. Once the "downloadhistory.db" is deleted the OS will create a fresh version on reboot and every thing should work ok.
    In my case I also had to swipe away the error-ed app in the app manager and then download again from the catalog. If I just tapped the error to re-download I would get the "not enough storage error" again.
    Last edited by namgod; 07/18/2013 at 09:38 PM.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
  6.    #6  
    I used Internalz and deleted my downloadhistory.db file (8.2MB) which reduced my /var from 95% full to 83% full. Definitely pulled me back from the brink, but I wish I could reduce it further. Now my highest is 88% in /var/file-cache. Looked there and didn't see anything large and obvious to delete.

Any additional suggestions for cleaning and where to find it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your guidance!!
    Although I haven't gotten around to it yet, (Too Lazy). The best solution to this problem would probably be to increase the size of /var. Someday I plan on messing with it, but I just keep deleting my downloadhistory.db file everytime i have this and move on...
    I have this problem and I've been through all the threads mentioned (probably a few other ones too). I've deleted the downloadhistory.db and even with it being 10kb (yes kb, not MB) I get the error.

Using Internalz the var directory seems to be 4.27GB. Is that larger than normal? What else could I safely delete to clean up some space?
    It looks like 4.19GB is in a file called:

/var/palm/jail/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs

Specifically there's 3.41GB in a directories /var/palm/jail/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/media/internal/.palm/=2B3WIIOQ=

There are a bunch of nested directories with nonsensical names like "=2B3WIIOQ=" above. This looks to be due to my Android CM9 install.

I've been able to clear out about a half GB of space by deleting some media that's copied to this area. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 07/20/2013 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    It looks like 4.19GB is in a file called:

/var/palm/jail/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs

Specifically there's 3.41GB in a directories /var/palm/jail/org.webosinternals.tweaks.prefs/media/internal/.palm/=2B3WIIOQ=

There are a bunch of nested directories with nonsensical names like "=2B3WIIOQ=" above. This looks to be due to my Android CM9 install.

I've been able to clear out about a half GB of space by deleting some media that's copied to this area. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.
    I used internalz Pro to delete some logs and that freed up about 2MB but that apparently is not enough since I still cant download and this thing is useless without the new certificate. I have nothing in /var/palm/jail.

I am Linux fluent but have not figured out how to open a command line shell for the Touchpad. Would surely appreciate someone letting me in on that trick...

Another question - When I mount the thing up via USB on a Windoz box, it is not at the root (e.g. /) but in some upper level directory and .. is not available. Is that configurable or will it always mount there?

Thanks,
    Snarksdad
    Even after cleaning up all that space, I can't seem to get the App Catalog to work without giving me that error too. I know it is related to me installing Android on it, which is definitely one of those things that is pushing the limits of the device, but you'd still think after deleting all that space there'd be room in the /var directory to not have the error. Wish I knew what I had to get the /var directory below to work.

Snarksdad, there are about a million threads here on how to get a command line. It's been a long time since I needed it, but I believe I did it with webOS Quick Install. Give it a look and a web search.
    Quote Originally Posted by snarksdad View Post
    I used internalz Pro to delete some logs and that freed up about 2MB but that apparently is not enough since I still cant download and this thing is useless without the new certificate. I have nothing in /var/palm/jail.

I am Linux fluent but have not figured out how to open a command line shell for the Touchpad. Would surely appreciate someone letting me in on that trick...

Another question - When I mount the thing up via USB on a Windoz box, it is not at the root (e.g. /) but in some upper level directory and .. is not available. Is that configurable or will it always mount there?

Thanks,
    Snarksdad
    when you plug the touchpad into windows it only shows the /media/internal partition as thats a FAT partition, the only thing windows can read, the rest is a linux filesystem which windows cant read.

For a terminal you can use WebosQuickInstall, it has a terminal option or you can install WTerm or xTerm from preware/wosqi.

also worth reading.

Workaround for Application Database is Full error | webOS Nation

and something ive personally done which im told isnt relevant (but for me has worked for some reason and i havent extended my var partition) but hey if nothing else is working what harm can it do.
    Mail and messages disappears?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    I used Internalz and deleted my downloadhistory.db file (8.2MB) which reduced my /var from 95% full to 83% full. Definitely pulled me back from the brink, but I wish I could reduce it further. Now my highest is 88% in /var/file-cache. Looked there and didn't see anything large and obvious to delete.

Any additional suggestions for cleaning and where to find it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your guidance!!
    After a couple of rounds of fixing the app update problem on my TP by deleting downloadhistory.db, I finally reached a point where this no longer worked. I followed this procedure, and determined that the biggest problem I had was in /var/palm/data/.adobe/Flash_Player/AssetCache/3YHT4DZU/.

Using Internalz Pro (pref Master Mode "On"), I deleted all of the files in this folder except cacheSize.txt, which I left in place so that I could mark it as a "favorite" (to give myself a breadcrumb to follow back to this folder in the future). This fixed the app update download problem for me, and I've seen no ill effects in Advanced Browser when loading flash pages--YMMV.

Of course, you may find that your biggest collection of junk files lies elsewhere. For example, I suspect that the "3YHT4DZU" folder name was dynamically-generated at some point, so you may see a different folder name down at that level. I also wouldn't say to go straight to the same section of /var/ as I did--look at the results of the two command line steps given in the link in paragraph 1, and draw your conclusions about your system's situation from that.

One final comment: What I wouldn't have given for a multiple-file-select feature in Internalz Pro--deleting dozens of files one at a time took forever. None of the other tools that I currently have on my TP (Gemini File Manager, Commander, Tegi's Commander) could navigate down past /var/palm/, however, so that's what I had to do . If I'm missing some easier way to do this, please let me know!

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Install Xecutah from Preware; it will probably tell you that you also need to install 2 additional packages--just let it install whatever it wants to. I'd recommend a device restart after installing (not required by Preware, but it proved necessary in my case), then run Xecutah. After it opens, tap "Start Xterm". After about 5 seconds, you should see a terminal session in the upper portion of the screen and the onscreen keyboard below it. Since the terminal session window isn't scrollable, I recommend using the small (S) or extra-small keyboard (XS) in order to maximize the number of command output lines you can view--tap and hold the keyboard symbol key to bring up the size selector.

/media/internal/ and below is all you can see in Windows Explorer in USB Mode. Install and run Internalz Pro on your device with pref Master Mode "On" to access all folders.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix