webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad charging issues
Touchpad charging issues

Old 07/10/2013, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Bought an HP touchpad in the firesale a few years ago. I've gone through about 3 microUSB cables from HP due to them failing.

I have a spare micro USB that works fine on my Kindle Fire, but doesn't work properly when used with the HP USB/AC power charger. The touchpad shows that it's charging (lightning bolt), but no charge actually takes place.
Strangely enough, I was able to get a full charge a few weeks ago. The microUSB cable works fine on the kindle. Never had a problem there.

Can't figure this one out. Was going to buy another microUSB cable, but if the one I have works fine on the Kindle but not on the Touchpad, it doesn't appear to be the cable.

Is there a problem with the charging connection on the touchpad end?
cmjb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Presumably you do not have a Touchstone Charger for the TP?

I know that to charge fully and correctly the TP requies a lead with both Power and Data lines intact and connected.
This is because of the unique way HP chose to use those data lines as pipes for exchange of power management information & required charge rates.
If the other USB leads you tried are damaged, or possibly only carry only the two Power Lines (ie. with no data lines - such as the Kindle charging lead MAY have?), then the TP will only ever 'trickle charge' - whatever the potential output current of the HP-specific charging source.
So Lightning Bolt probably means that it IS charging - but only very, very slowly.

I also know HP/Palm ensured thicker power lines (than data lines) in their 'Official' USB leads in order to deliver the -->2A current potentials at full charge rates without overheating etc.
I have never had any probs. with those leads - in fact they seem of quite high quality.
Maybe there was a bunch of unreliable/substandard 'lookalikes' that escaped from some factory in China!

Perhaps the internal Micro-USB connector in the TP is damaged - but until I had also tried a new and original HP/Palm USB lead, I would rather not bet on it! - Changing a lead is a lot easier than changing a TP USB Board!

Check out ebay etc. first anyway?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/10/2013 at 03:32 PM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjb13 View Post
Bought an HP touchpad in the firesale a few years ago. I've gone through about 3 microUSB cables from HP due to them failing.

I have a spare micro USB that works fine on my Kindle Fire, but doesn't work properly when used with the HP USB/AC power charger. The touchpad shows that it's charging (lightning bolt), but no charge actually takes place.
Strangely enough, I was able to get a full charge a few weeks ago. The microUSB cable works fine on the kindle. Never had a problem there.

Can't figure this one out. Was going to buy another microUSB cable, but if the one I have works fine on the Kindle but not on the Touchpad, it doesn't appear to be the cable.

Is there a problem with the charging connection on the touchpad end?
I've had problems in the past with the USB cable (itself). Touchpad charger aside - I can still charge it with my Pre charger - I'd suggest buying better cables.

At times I panicked, thinking the USB port on the TP was mal-functioning, however, better cables became my solution.

Lansing2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you're concerned about "wear and tear" on the TP micro usb port, you should try the TP touchstone cradle. The only time you'll need to plug in a cable is to doctor.
Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon)
namgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2013, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was recently given a 16gb TP from a friend who did not want it. It was slightly used, and he hadn't touched it in months. Battery was completely dead, and when I tried the USB cable that came with the unit it would cut in and out of charging mode if you barely touched the cable. Fortunately I had some more robust spare USBs in my parts drawer, and it works perfectly now, excellent charging, no issues....
Rivergoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2013, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

My daughter's touchpad had the same problem for a long time. I found out that not just any charger would work. It needs to have a specific output I think. You can do a search online to find charger compatible with your specific tp/model. I found this one and it seems to be working fine for about 2 months now so far. Newegg.com - eForCity Black Micro USB Travel Charger + Black Micro USB Car Charger + Silver/White Universal 3.5mm In-Ear Stereo Headset w/On-off & Mic Bundle For HP TouchPad Amazon kindle fire HD 8.9 It only costs around $11.
poppywest1223 is offline   Reply With Quote