Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I sync'd 41 pictures to my TouchPad via Wifi Media Sync. When I went to view them, Photos didn't see them or 3 screenshots I had taken. I used Media Indexer Refresh, rebooted, still no pictures-either the ones I sync'd or the screenshots. It's been 8+ hours, so they don't seem to be just showing up on their own as has happened in the past, what else can I do?
    TIA,
    Tom
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  2. #2  
    GMMan has once described a way of deleting the indexer database and having it reindex everything from scratch, but then someone had ended up doctoring after doing this, so YMMV.

    If you decide to go this route, it's best to make backups first.
  3. #3  
    i deleted /var/luna/data/filenotify.db3 and all works fine now. but as said by Remy x it's your decision but backup first and then reboot instantly delete the file (OR just rename to undo it) and reboot again.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    i deleted /var/luna/data/filenotify.db3 and all works fine now. but as said by Remy x it's your decision but backup first and then reboot instantly delete the file (OR just rename to undo it) and reboot again.
    I will give it a try, what should I backup before deleting the file?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  5. #5  
    you can just backup /var/db/main/objects.db using WOSQI if there's nothing else worth saving in case you Doctor. But it should be a non-event, so don't worry
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    you can just backup /var/db/main/objects.db using WOSQI if there's nothing else worth saving in case you Doctor. But it should be a non-event, so don't worry
    I deleted /var/luna/data/filenotify.db3 and rebooted, now I have no pictures, videos or music. The file is back, but only 7k. Media Indexer Refresh still does nothing.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  7. #7  
    I would try putting it in USB drive mode, maybe copying over another file, and then ejecting it, to force the file tracker to trigger.

    I have an annoying problem where I have 12 media files on my new one, and it's only picking up 9 of them. grr. I can find the other 3 and launch them from Commander, but the media system can't see them .. and there's not even anything weird in their filenames or anything.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8. #8  
    That sounds more like something is tripping up the indexer. I'd copy off and then delete all media, then copy back a little at a time until you find what's crashing it.
  9.    #9  
    Looks like its ok now, I restarted and folders started appearing, after some time, all the pictures showed up, including the missing ones.
    Thanks for all your help!
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    gizmo21 likes this.
  10. #10  
    I find it sad they never fully fixed this. I reported this problem the very afternoon the touchpad was released(and spent a good hour with palm support in the chat thing at the time - also posted a thread here that day too). Since then things have gotten a bit better but of course still never got completely fixed. Just this past weekend I opt'd to do a full erase on both of my touchpads so I could make sure all of the media I was putting on each (many 100s of new pics would get indexed right). I tried messing with the internal databases at one point last year, and the results weren't good.

    Sometimes a short term workaround for me as a linux user was to copy the files over, unmount the touchpad manually(in the shell) and then yank the USB cable, the TP would show the "Ouch!" screen and that triggered a reindex - but it didn't fix it every time. Before I did a full erase one of my TPs had a good 600 images on it(that I downloaded using the web browser) that no matter what refused to show up (I had another 1200 images on the device I think it was just "full").

    I could be quite certain all of the data was flushed to the TP safely as the volume was no longer mounted.

    poor 'ol webos - feels like it never really got out of beta. (I have minimal experience with android/ios/windows phone/etc so not sure if those feel beta too -- though have been using WebOS since early 2010).
  11. #11  
    webOS was almost alpha and a work in progress when it was first released, so I tend to agree with you, that even now there is a fair amount of buggy, unfinished stuff, even post Blowfish/2.1..
  12.    #12  
    My TouchPad isn't showing pictures again. I'm reluctant to delete the filenotify.db3 file, as the last 2 times I've done it, the TouchPad has come back from a restart and said it needs to be reset, erasing everything off it. I can see the pictures in the ACL Gallery, but that doesn't help me to set wallpapers. I've removed the all the pictures and music I've added, it still shows all the folders as empty, but the pictures are there in ACL Gallery or Internalz Pro. Any ideas?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    My TouchPad isn't showing pictures again. I'm reluctant to delete the filenotify.db3 file, as the last 2 times I've done it, the TouchPad has come back from a restart and said it needs to be reset, erasing everything off it. I can see the pictures in the ACL Gallery, but that doesn't help me to set wallpapers. I've removed the all the pictures and music I've added, it still shows all the folders as empty, but the pictures are there in ACL Gallery or Internalz Pro. Any ideas?
    Wow, I just had this issue...

    Here is how I solved it...

    There is a hidden directory called .photosApp which underneath that directory is one called Generated it is the Photo's App Thumbnails created during a index sweep...

    So I used novaterm type rm -rf /media/internal/.photosApp

    It took a while then I mounted the USB to my computer and then removed the USB cable before ejecting...

    Got the Opps message waited...

    Then opened the Photos App and the Thumbnails started to re-generate... a few directories I had to rename like for instance the 100PALM under DCIM I had to rename it to .100PALM-OLD and then reboot and then rename it back to 100PALM.

    But once I did this Photo App finally worked again...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Wow, I just had this issue...

    Here is how I solved it...

    There is a hidden directory called .photosApp which underneath that directory is one called Generated it is the Photo's App Thumbnails created during a index sweep...

    So I used novaterm type rm -rf /media/internal/.photosApp

    It took a while then I mounted the USB to my computer and then removed the USB cable before ejecting...

    Got the Opps message waited...

    Then opened the Photos App and the Thumbnails started to re-generate... a few directories I had to rename like for instance the 100PALM under DCIM I had to rename it to .100PALM-OLD and then reboot and then rename it back to 100PALM.

    But once I did this Photo App finally worked again...
    Quite complicated, but it worked! I'm resyncing all my pics, we'll see if they all show up. I did find I had a copy of .photosApp, wonder if that caused some of this problem?
    Thanks John!
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  15.    #15  
    I find I'm needing to do this once every few days, why does this keep happening?
    I installed Zinio in ACL and it creates an album for every magazine.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I find I'm needing to do this once every few days, why does this keep happening?
    I installed Zinio in ACL and it creates an album for every magazine.
    there was a post somewhere showing a file to delete so the system has to recreate it ...that file being the media index ...it worked for me on my pre3 ...it likely was in that thread
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Wow, I just had this issue...

    Here is how I solved it...

    There is a hidden directory called .photosApp which underneath that directory is one called Generated it is the Photo's App Thumbnails created during a index sweep...

    So I used novaterm type rm -rf /media/internal/.photosApp

    It took a while then I mounted the USB to my computer and then removed the USB cable before ejecting...

    Got the Opps message waited...

    Then opened the Photos App and the Thumbnails started to re-generate... a few directories I had to rename like for instance the 100PALM under DCIM I had to rename it to .100PALM-OLD and then reboot and then rename it back to 100PALM.

    But once I did this Photo App finally worked again...
    Is there such method for webOS 2.2.4.
    I see my picture in the photo app but can't take pictures because the camera app just flashes and it hangs on cleanup method that is called from the picture app.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    Is there such method for webOS 2.2.4.
    I see my picture in the photo app but can't take pictures because the camera app just flashes and it hangs on cleanup method that is called from the picture app.
    I have never had the issue on my Phone, I have had issues with media (music/video), but never photos will look into the App code and see if it has a hidden folder on thumbnail index.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I have never had the issue on my Phone, I have had issues with media (music/video), but never photos will look into the App code and see if it has a hidden folder on thumbnail index.
    Let me know if you find something.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    Let me know if you find something.
    The source code does not reveal anything of value, it appears it queries the indexer for the names of the photos and webkit is what is used to display the images.

    Very primitive, why it is faster then the Touchpad app.

    So the only way I know to kick off a refresh is to change the directory to a hidden for instance Photos to .Photos, then reboot then plug in USB, mount USB, using a computer rename the .Photos to Photos and then unplug the USB drive (not ejecting it first), this will cause it to run a fsck and re-index.

    Ok looked a little deeper, there is a Framework called Photos, that defines the default Albums and where to get them from and what to do with them... Will look if there is more...

    Ok now do not know what to make of it: /var/file-cache/mediathumbnail holds all the thumbnails indexed by the indexer.

    I do not have this issue, but you might want to rename that directory, reboot and see if it fixes your photos issue?

    Then you can remove the old directory you renamed assume it will create a new thumbnails directory...

    But again, I have never had an issue on my Phone when it came to Photos or Music only my touchpad, now there might be a limit on size (amount of files in one directory, this is the case on iOS, so they broke up the DCIM folder)...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 02/06/2014 at 11:49 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Media indexer
    By knobbysideup in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09/03/2012, 08:08 PM
  2. Reset media indexer webOS 2.1?
    By rmausser in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08/30/2011, 04:15 PM
  3. Media Indexer Acting like webos 2.1.0?
    By RyanCell in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07/10/2011, 07:00 AM
  4. How do you refresh the music indexer on your 2.1 Pre- when you're not at home?
    By sledge007 in forum webOS Tips, Info & Resources
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04/30/2011, 07:09 AM
  5. Media Sync doesn't work
    By gage006 in forum webOS Synergy and Synchronization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09/05/2009, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions