Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lemanho
  • 1 Post By bethel95
  1.    #1  
    I pulled 4 HP internal development prototype Touchpads out of the R&D center's dumpster down here in Sunnyvale (Silicon Valley is dumpster diving Valhalla). One worked straight out of the box, so to say, so I dropped CyanogenMod Android 4.2 on it, works awesome! But the problem is the charger wasn't, umm, included. And it takes literally days to even turn on from a generic micro usb cable plugged into a PC. So my questions - any way to force it to accept a generic cable or to make a custom one? Also, does it charge when in pmux mode? (you know, usb screen that you can bring up when it's too dead to boot. I guess y'all call it a bootloader). And how do you use the pmux mode? I know novacom talked to it when pushing cyanogen, but is there a way to actually interface with it real time? And lastly, anyone want to buy the other three pads? They seem to have all the parts, just sorta loose and disconnected. I'll fiddle with them and try to get all the little cables plugged in and see if they'll boot up too once i get the good one properly up and running. I'll even just trade you one for an original hp charger if you live in the bay area.
    Congrats on the find

The reason for what you're seeing, is that a Touchpad expects the data leads on the USB charger to be bridged together. This is how it verifies that a charger is a genuine 2 amp HP OEM piece, and WheelNut on here has a whole thread devoted to modding 2 amp car chargers to properly work with the Touchpad.

I'll go and find it, BRB.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    The Touchpad uses a 6000 mAh 3.7v battery, and the charger/cylinder puts out 5.3V - 2A.

So my take would be to have one that can do this output or as close to it as possible, at minimal, at least 2A output, 5V.

You could try with a 1A output, but that would very slow change and odds are it wouldn't be enough and the Touchpad wouldn't be able to pull a charge out of it.

A quick ebay search using "hp touchpad external battery charger" provided these two:

USB External Battery Charger for Zeepad Le Pan 2 HP Touchpad Motorola Xoom | eBay

9000 mAh External Battery Pack and Charger Charge Up to 4 Times | eBay
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    In order to charge the TouchPad at "FULL" rate, the external Battery needs to emulate the Data Pin configuration of the TouchPad Barrel Charger.

This requires the Data Pins to be bridged and a 240K Resistor to +5V and 300K Resistor to Ground. Without this, the TouchPad will only trickle charge from a 5V source, irrespective of the Current capability of the source.
    The thread - Is there a car charger that will work with the Touchpad?, it is very long

And to your other question, yes. It does charge in bootloader mode, but charging while it has booted into an OS is faster, since the backlight doesn't stay on the whole time.

The "USB logo" mode is something you'd use when you do a clean install of the OS (there's a webOS Doctor/ROM for every device variant except for the ultra-rare Touchpad GO), and i think you enter that by holding Power and Vol UP before plugging in the USB cord. This way, rather than booting up it will enter "recovery" mode, which also allows one to do some command line hardware diag/testing, like listening to accelerometer and magneto output.

Here for the instructions: accelerometer/rotation not working
    Last edited by Remy X; 07/06/2013 at 09:10 PM.
    Yay! GOOD One!
    I think you ought to make a habit of doing a regular check on that HP Dumpster for us all here!!!

Yes, the HP charge current-sensing system is unique to HP's products. Two resistors bridge the USB data lines and the potential between them allows up to 2A current at 5.3VDC to then draw, depending upon the state of the battery.
    The HP TP USB cable also has noticably fatter power lines than data lines, to carry the extra current.

You could pick up a 2A HP USB wall-charger at the next dumpster run by the sounds of it!! - Also cheap on ebay etc now too.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/06/2013 at 09:11 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Do not install CM9/CM10 into prototype touchpad before upgrade webOS .....
    1. Do it have black HP Label on the back. If have what it say.
    2. What's OS in the prototype TP ?
    3. Maybe it is Androids or Webos .If Webos 3.0.0 can not use normal doctor to upgrade it. Need to use "NDI" or special doctor it.
    4. For your problem TP. Need to flash back Webs 3.0.5 first. And install CM9/CM10 later.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Do not install CM9/CM10 into prototype touchpad before upgrade webOS .....
    1. Do it have black HP Label on the back. If have what it say.
    2. What's OS in the prototype TP ?
    3. Maybe it is Androids or Webos .If Webos 3.0.0 can not use normal doctor to upgrade it. Need to use "NDI" or special doctor it.
    4. For your problem TP. Need to flash back Webs 3.0.5 first. And install CM9/CM10 later.
    Note: lemanho has owned, at one point or another, some 10, if not more different Touchpad prototypes
    Stock TP chargers are still available on Amazon for $13.99--search for "HP touchpad charger", and either of the first two items is legit. I'd stay away from the $9.99 one further down the page, as I suspect it's a counterfeit. Also, don't buy an HP phone charger--they can't charge a TP.

All of you may be interested in this 2012 article about an electrical engineer's evaluation of USB wall chargers:
    Ken Shirriff's blog: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best
    He proclaimed the TP charger to be the best there is (though wrong about its not still being for sale). Long after our TPs turn to dust, we'll still be getting valuable service from our chargers!

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Remy X likes this.
    And if you want to read more on the bootloader, have a look here:

Win 7 64 bit and Novacom installation post #14

There's also a guide somewhere on how to backup and restore a whole disk image on the Touchpad...
    Mutoidi, no longer at that location :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Mutoidi, no longer at that location :-)
    Looks like!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seva Loginov View Post
    I pulled 4 HP internal development prototype Touchpads out of the R&D center's dumpster down here in Sunnyvale (Silicon Valley is dumpster diving Valhalla)...
    ...I'll even just trade you one for an original hp charger if you live in the bay area.
    Seva, how 'bout if I don't live in the bay area? I have a brand new, original touchpad charger and retail cover. If your prototype touchpads actually work, I'd happily make a trade. I can also pay for shipping both ways...although it depends on the condition and the specs of the prototypes.

I know nothing at all (yet) about the difference between a dev prototype and a retail unit. I'm not averse to a bit of work to get one running, but ultimately I'd like to get it to the point where it wouldn't require any ongoing maintenance after my initial upgrades.

How different are the specs & dimensions compared to the retail units? If you just pick one up, what OS does it run and can it be modified to run a current version of WebOS and/or Cyanogen? (Heck, do the units even work??) Also just cosmetically, are there any scuffs or cracks (especially on the screens)?

IOW, do you know exactly what you've got there or is it just a bit of a crapshoot? The answers to lemanho's previous questions would be useful too, and I'll go hunting for more info on what to expect from a prototype,

I wish I had dumpsters to dive in for stuff like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by touch_me View Post
    Seva, how 'bout if I don't live in the bay area? I have a brand new, original touchpad charger and retail cover. If your prototype touchpads actually work, I'd happily make a trade. I can also pay for shipping both ways...although it depends on the condition and the specs of the prototypes.

I know nothing at all (yet) about the difference between a dev prototype and a retail unit. I'm not averse to a bit of work to get one running, but ultimately I'd like to get it to the point where it wouldn't require any ongoing maintenance after my initial upgrades.

How different are the specs & dimensions compared to the retail units? If you just pick one up, what OS does it run and can it be modified to run a current version of WebOS and/or Cyanogen? (Heck, do the units even work??) Also just cosmetically, are there any scuffs or cracks (especially on the screens)?

IOW, do you know exactly what you've got there or is it just a bit of a crapshoot? The answers to lemanho's previous questions would be useful too, and I'll go hunting for more info on what to expect from a prototype,

I wish I had dumpsters to dive in for stuff like that!
    how different are the specs & dimensions compared to the retail units? If you just pick one up, what OS does it run and can it be modified to run a current version of WebOS and/or Cyanogen? (Heck, do the units even work??) Also just cosmetically, are there any scuffs or cracks (especially on the screens)?

There are some difference spec from Prototype Touchpad to retail units. Like digital control board/power board/screen..etc. It will show it on HP black label on back of Touchpad.....

Like this..............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The "USB logo" mode is something you'd use when you do a clean install of the OS (there's a webOS Doctor/ROM for every device variant except for the ultra-rare Touchpad GO), and i think you enter that by holding Power and Vol UP before plugging in the USB cord. This way, rather than booting up it will enter "recovery" mode, which also allows one to do some command line hardware diag/testing, like listening to accelerometer and magneto output.
    First there is now a Doctor for all HP/Palm devices including the Go (Opal) now at webOS 3.0.5 (although not from HP/Palm, based on a backup source).

Second one can novaterm into the "recovery" mode, just hit enter and you will see a prompt, you can type help...

Here is a WiKi on the commands:Bootie - WebOS Internals
    Cracked Touchpad is no longer available - as I acquired it from ShelaghDB.

Now I'm just trying to find a replacement screen, if they can be found.