Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    I was using my touchpad this morning to play games. It was sitting on the touchstone charger, with a full battery charge (I checked).

I went away for a couple minutes, using the power button to turn the screen off; when I came back to it a few minutes later, the power button would not turn the screen on.

I have tried all the key combinations I am aware of (with the power, vol up, vol down, and front screen buttons) and it won't come back on.

If I plug it into the usb cable to connect it to my computer, my computer recognizes that it is there and adds a removable disk to "my computer". But when I click on the removable disk to open it, I get the message "please insert a disk into drive G:". I know this is the correct drive because it is the only removable disk currently on my computer; when I attach my digital camera or my thumb drive, my computer reads their contents just fine.

I tried to use webosdoctor, but I get the java error "Splash: recv failed".

I'm trying to figure out if something got disconnected inside (like the screen, though I haven't had any problems at all with the screen until now) or if something more serious is wrong. Is there any way to manually download and install the touchpad drivers on my computer?

Also, as my husband also has a touchpad, I connected his touchpad to my computer; it came up just fine, and when I told the touchpad to go into usb mode, the computer was able to read the files. However, when I told the computer to eject the drive (so the touchpad would be happy) but then didn't physically disconnect the touchpad and tried to open it from "my computer", I got the same "please insert a disk" error.

So, what could my problem be? Which solution here would be the best, or did part of the hardware die?

Thank you!
    If I plug it into the usb cable to connect it to my computer, my computer recognizes that it is there and adds a removable disk to "my computer". But when I click on the removable disk to open it, I get the message "please insert a disk into drive G:". I know this is the correct drive because it is the only removable disk currently on my computer; when I attach my digital camera or my thumb drive, my computer reads their contents just fine.

[...]

Also, as my husband also has a touchpad, I connected his touchpad to my computer; it came up just fine, and when I told the touchpad to go into usb mode, the computer was able to read the files. However, when I told the computer to eject the drive (so the touchpad would be happy) but then didn't physically disconnect the touchpad and tried to open it from "my computer", I got the same "please insert a disk" error.
    Hi,

For the phones at least, this behaviour is normal. You cannot read the disk before USB mode is enabled or after you have ejected it. Read "Please insert disk" as, "Enable USB mode".

I turned off my phone with the switch, then plugged in the USB cable. This caused the screen to light up and display the lock screen, so I would be able to touch in the code and enable USB mode from there. Not having a touchpad, I don't know, but assume it would behave in the same way.

If you are unable to turn on the touchpad with the switch, then this suggests a power issue and if it doesn't turn on when first connected to the USB cable, I'd guess it might be the battery connection, but you are right that it could also be the symtom of a disconnected screen or backlight failure. You could try using / plugging in the touchpad with a strong light on the screen to look if you can see anything. You could even try switching on the unit in a dark room and look for a faint glow which might suggest the backlight works, but the screen is black/off. Of course the possibility of some catastrophic software failure remains possible. You have no doubt searched for similar threads here.

I shutdown & pulled the battery from my phone while connected to the usb cable - it remained recognised as a removable disk until I pulled the cable out and reappeared in 'My Computer' when I reconnected the cable - still with the battery removed and the screen STILL lit up with a battery symbol. Again, your device may function differently.

Hopefully someone with experience of your device can help more. I believe the battery is 'built in' - only removeable by disassembling the device, but I think it's possible to do this and there is probably a guide to doing this somewhere. You could at least inspect battery, screen and backlight connections and if you have a metering device, check the battery charge.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/06/2013 at 07:26 AM.
    Just to be double sure - did you try holding 'Power' & 'Home' (the front-screen button) down together for at least 45 seconds in order to try to initiate a reboot?
    Plugging USB into wall charger for 24 hrs may bring results too.
    Holding 'Power' & 'Volume Up' buttons together should normally bring it into recovery mode (big white USB symbol) when you can 'Doctor' if nec.
    But obviously, if the screen IS actually 'dead', none of this will be visible!

Are you talking just 'webOS' here - or is 'Android' CM7/9/10 intsalled on the TP also?

?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Okay -- I just tried power+home again, and this time it booted -- even though I tried it several times yesterday. I tried it again because I hadn't held the buttons for over 45 seconds (I think the max I held was 30 seconds), but after 5 seconds or so it rebooted.

What could cause such a temporary problem? Could it be a temperature issue (it had been sitting in the sun, in a south-facing window, in a not-very-well-air-conditioned room (read ~78-80F inside)), or something else entirely?

*blinks* At least it's working again, I think. It booted successfully and the basics are working (email, etc.).

I'd still like to know what caused this ~24 hour shutdown (well, I know it was at least 12 hours, because I tried last night and it didn't work then). Any ideas?

Thank you all again!
    Glad it fired up OK eventually.
    Did you charge it at all after it cut out and before it rebooted?
    Presumably no 'Android' OS installed?
    Could have been overheated by the Sun - Yes!
    Most half-sensible electronic gear has an automatic thermal cut-out linked to the internal temperature sensors.

It is always a good idea to fully shut down and then re-start the Touchpad every so often anyway..
    it kinda keeps it's 'brain' from clogging up/over-stressing!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Remy X likes this.
    Black Touchpad + Touchstone + sun = overheat

My three years ago, mother's Pre overheated on the Touchstone during an OTA update, which soft-bricked it by corrupting the filesystem and as such, it had to be Doctored. Glad your problem was less severe
  7.    #7  
    No Android OS -- still on HP's last official release of webOS (though considering upgrading to the opensource version -- if I can get more info on it, haven't had the time/energy to hunt the web for it so far).

So -- could indeed have overheated. At least it wasn't trying to do something when it cut out, and now I know to try to protect it from the sun (difficult with where it lives next to my bed, with the big bright window right there, but I should be able to figure out a way, I hope).

Thank you all!