Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Recently, every time I boot into WebOS I get a "Maps download failed" error. Each time I go into the Apps Launcher and download the Maps app. It seems to download and install the app as it gives me an "install succesful" message. However, within a few minutes the error pops up again. It also occurs every time I reboot. How can I fix it or make it go away? I'm running WebOS 3.0.5. I read somewhere that Google maps had been replaced by Bing maps but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Any ideas and insights will be greatly appreciated.
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Google maps hasn't replaced anything in the default OS on official touchpad versions. I have had Maps fail to download many times over the past year or so (most recently again today on two different TPs that I just ran full erase on). You can put google maps on the TP but last I checked you had to get this from preware, it is not available in the official app catalog.

I just downloaded it(Maps) again and it worked fine. Are there any other apps that have failed to download/install(for me there was one other app and I removed it)? If so, try clearing them out. If not then try partial or full erase.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    Google maps hasn't replaced anything in the default OS on official touchpad versions. I have had Maps fail to download many times over the past year or so (most recently again today on two different TPs that I just ran full erase on). You can put google maps on the TP but last I checked you had to get this from preware, it is not available in the official app catalog.

I just downloaded it(Maps) again and it worked fine. Are there any other apps that have failed to download/install(for me there was one other app and I removed it)? If so, try clearing them out. If not then try partial or full erase.
    The only thing I seem to be having trouble with is maps. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. I clearly don't rely on it for navigation. Between my Garmin and my Galaxy Note I've got Navigation nailed. It's just that being an old geek, I like my tech to behave. Is there any way to uninstall it? I haven't spent much time on the WebOS side but that's about to change.
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Same - but I hit 'try again' and it reinstalled just fine - several times over the last few 'Doctorings' in fact!
    I don't think it is easily uninstallable.

(Incidentally, does anyone know how to change/swtitch descending/ascending alphabetical order of file display list in Internalz Pro? That just reminded me, I'm stuck with z-->a, not a-->z on one machine!).

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    (Incidentally, does anyone know how to change/swtitch descending/ascending alphabetical order of file display list in Internalz Pro? That just reminded me, I'm stuck with z-->a, not a-->z on one machine!).

Just hit "name" on the left hand side.
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    Just hit "name" on the left hand side.
    So simple - cool! Thanks!
    I must have poked it unawares and accidentally at some point.
    (No highlighting on 'Name' as an actual 'button' though, nor 'Size'!) - but now I know.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Same - but I hit 'try again' and it reinstalled just fine - several times over the last few 'Doctorings' in fact!
    I don't think it is easily uninstallable.

Hmmm. I guess I am condemned to a Sisyphean existence Now, since yesterday, I'm getting recurring updates to the apps catalog. It seems to complete ok but, just like the map thing, has to be redone at every reboot. Oh well, at least I can still browse flash heavy websites!

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Quote Originally Posted by DaElderGeek View Post
    Hmmm. I guess I am condemned to a Sisyphean existence Now, since yesterday, I'm getting recurring updates to the apps catalog. It seems to complete ok but, just like the map thing, has to be redone at every reboot. Oh well, at least I can still browse flash heavy websites!
    There is built in Maps IPK for webOS 2.x and above it is in /usr/palm/ipkgs...

During boot a script runs that looks at the version of the IPK and compares with what is installed, if it is newer it runs the IPK, if for some reason it looks newer it will install (even if it older version)...

The way I fixed this issue is I removed the old IPK and I put the new one there and I modified the manifest.json file (it does not read it but I did it anyway), I also update the md5sum apps-ipkgs.md5 (webOS 2.2.4) com.palm.app.maps.md5 (>webOS 3.x) and apps-ipkgs.md5 (webOS 2.2.4) com.palm.app.maps.list (>webOS 3.x) with the correct file name of the new Maps and md5sums of the manifest.json and Maps file. With older webOS versions there was a in-built App (Google Maps), and they remove the module but they do not remove the directory which causes a issue with the OTA update.

Then to validate I used integcheck -ipkg
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/08/2013 at 07:28 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    There is built in Maps IPK for webOS 2.x and above it is in /usr/palm/ipkgs...

During boot a script runs that looks at the version of the IPK and compares with what is installed, if it is newer it runs the IPK, if for some reason it looks newer it will install (even if it older version)...

The way I fixed this issue is I removed the old IPK and I put the new one there and I modified the manifest.json file (it does not read it but I did it anyway), I also update the md5sum apps-ipkgs.md5 (webOS 2.2.4) com.palm.app.maps.md5 (>webOS 3.x) and apps-ipkgs.md5 (webOS 2.2.4) com.palm.app.maps.list (>webOS 3.x) with the correct file name of the new Maps and md5sums of the manifest.json and Maps file. With older webOS versions there was a in-built App (Google Maps), and they remove the module but they do not remove the directory which causes a issue with the OTA update.

Then to validate I used integcheck -ipkg
    Thanx for the tip. You're my kind of geek: detailed and thorough. However, I've come to the conclusion that this maps/HP apps thing is just a symptom of a much bigger problem. WebOS is not saving ANY settings or state changes. While I really like WebOS I haven't been using it as much as Android. In fact, before last week I hadn't logged into WebOS since January. For example, when I logged in to WebOS last week, there were about 35 messages in the email app, most of them dating back to January and earlier. Yesterday, I went back and deleted them all just before sacking out. This morning I woke up to find that there were 53 current messages in the app. Cool, I thought. I decided to check on the Android side but when I rebooted into WebOS the 53 "new" messages were nowhere to be found but the original 35 from last January were back, just like zombies! I also noticed little things, like the wallpaper changes wouldn't stick; websites like this one, no longer stored my login credentials, It's like Bill Murray in "Ground Hog Day". Every morning, no matter what had happened, reverted back to the day before. I'm thinking I'm going to have to tear down and rebuild from scratch both WebOS and Android.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    It's like Bill Murray in "Ground Hog Day". Every morning, no matter what had happened, reverted back to the day before. I'm thinking I'm going to have to tear down and rebuild from scratch both WebOS and Android.
    Hope yours is software not hardware, but sounds like a NAND lock?

The easy way to test is go to each partition and run a fsck against it if it see's no issue, copy a file from one location to another see if it shows up in that partition, repeat on all partitions...

I had my PrePlus NAND lock, it was just a file system corruption that would not allow the file system to mount read/write only read-only, once I ran file system checker it fixed the partition so it would mount read/write... kind of scary...

Also bought a replacement PrePlus (brand-new sort of never used Verizon proto-type), it's NAND locked going from webOS 1.3.5 to webOS 1.4.5.1 (hardware not software), thank god for returns...

But if it is hardware, I have not heard of a hardware method of unlocking the NAND, there have been a few Pre3's/Veer's/TouchPad's that I have seen with this. Seem they are stuck in yesterdays world... Work fine for the day, but forget when rebooted....
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/08/2013 at 12:39 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Hope yours is software not hardware, but sounds like a NAND lock?....
    John I think you're on to something! When I tried to reflash a a ROM on the Android side where I first started having problems, I saw a message flash by about being "unable to mount [something]" It zipped by so fast I couldn't catch it. This seems like there ought to be a sticky somewhere with details about how to do it but I couldn't find it.. Is it something I can do directly under WebOS on the Touchpad or do I have to put it in USB mode and do it on my workstation? If there's a sticky or "how to. . ." somewhere, could you please point me to it?

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    John I think you're on to something! When I tried to reflash a a ROM on the Android side where I first started having problems, I saw a message flash by about being "unable to mount [something]" It zipped by so fast I couldn't catch it. This seems like there ought to be a sticky somewhere with details about how to do it but I couldn't find it.. Is it something I can do directly under WebOS on the Touchpad or do I have to put it in USB mode and do it on my workstation? If there's a sticky or "how to. . ." somewhere, could you please point me to it?
    Follow the following link this is for a Pre3, but Touchpad is no different, test your command line skills thru novacom/novaterm:

Do not destroy your file system, but use the thread below to understand what you might need to do...

Once you understand how to use novacom/novaterm then we can walk thru the steps to identify your issue.

Could be a simple partition fsck, could be a wipe and rebuild, I always assume a simple fix over a rebuild...

Pre 3 Doctor quits at 8%. Please Help!!!

You will need a computer with zip software, Java, install novacom/novaterm, be able to boot via USB mode into a uImage from the touchpad doctor extracted via ZIP software.
  13.    #13  
    Follow the following link this is for a Pre3, but Touchpad is no different, test your command line skills thru novacom/novaterm:....
    Thanx! Back in the day I used to program big iron in assembler language. I guess I'll see if any of those brain cells are left. :-) I've used the linux command line on Android as well as a couple of laptops that were running Ubuntu. Stay tuned. :-)

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
  14.    #14  
    Thanx! Back in the day I used to program big iron in assembler language. I guess I'll see if any of those brain cells are left. :-) I've used the linux command line on Android as well as a couple of laptops that were running Ubuntu. Stay tuned. :-)
    I'm going nowhere fast. I can run the ACMEUninstall script from Novacom but Novaterm doesn't seem to see or connect with the TP. I figured out I need to install the latest version of the Java 64 bit SDK just to get Novaterm to load but still, it just doesn't see the TP nor will it let me enter any commands. Instead, when I click connect I get an "Unhandled exception" error, see below:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at novaterm.novacom.Connection.GetCommandResponse()
    at novaterm.Form1.connectButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.6400 (Win8RTMGDR.050727-6400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    novaterm
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/DaLarry_2012/Downloads/Novaterm/novaterm.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.6402 (Win8RTMGDR.050727-6400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.6401 (Win8RTMGDR.050727-6400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.6401 (Win8RTMGDR.050727-6400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    TerminalControl
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3493.42185
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3493.42185
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/DaLarry_2012/Downloads/Novaterm/TerminalControl.DLL
    System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.6387 (Win8RTM.050727-6300)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.6387 (Win8RTM.050727-6300)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
  15.    #15  
    Maybe all is not so bleak. I finally figured out how to get novaterm to work by putting WebOS in developer mode. I'm still trying to figure how many partitions are on the device with the "parted" command. When I issue the command "parted print" it says "Error: Could not stat device print - No such file or directory.
    Error: Could not stat device print - No such file or directory.
    Retry/Cancel?"

parted did tell that I have 1 partition "/dev/mmcblk0"

When I try to run "fsck" against it, the error I get is: "fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0
    fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0
    Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?"

On to the problem at hand: how do I check to see if NAND is locked and how do I unlock it? I'm ready for that step by step walk through.
    Last edited by DaElderGeek; 07/08/2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Update

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Maybe all is not so bleak. I finally figured out how to get novaterm to work by putting WebOS in developer mode. I'm still trying to figure how many partitions are on the device with the "parted" command. When I issue the command "parted print" it says "Error: Could not stat device print - No such file or directory.
    Error: Could not stat device print - No such file or directory.
    Retry/Cancel?"

parted did tell that I have 1 partition "/dev/mmcblk0"

When I try to run "fsck" against it, the error I get is: "fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0
    fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0
    Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?"

On to the problem at hand: how do I check to see if NAND is locked and how do I unlock it? I'm ready for that step by step walk through.
    Wow, All I wanted was for you to be able to Novacom/Novaterm, assuming you would setup a computer, get zip (your choice on the product), Java, and Novacom/Novaterm working...

I warned to not try to mess up your partitions... But it seems you did not great....

Ok, I am sure I detail this somewhere else, but I will attempt from memory...

Using your computer get a copy of the JAR file (webosdoctorp305hstnhatt.jar) from:

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Now that you have the JAR file copy it and rename the copy with a .zip (so you should see two files)

webosdoctorp305hstnhatt.jar
    webosdoctorp305hstnhatt.zip

Using your favorite ZIP product unzip the ZIP file into a directory called webOS

when you unzip the JAR file you will have a few directories COM, META-INF, RESOURCES...

Under resources there is another TAR file called webOS.tar, using your ZIP product (it should handle the TAR) if not you need to find an tar utility to untar the file.

Once you untar the file you will look for a file name called nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage this is your boot image.

You will then shutdown the touchpad and you will now use the USB recovery mode, with the USB cable unplugged to any device, plug the usb cable into the touchpad, hold down volume up button and plug the USB port into the computer (while holding down the volume up), you should see a big USB symbol on the touchpad...

Now use novacom at a command line to boot the uimage...

novacom -w boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage

Once you get there let me know I will post the next steps (to mount the LVM, and fsck each partition as you can not fsck a partition in use).
  17.    #17  
    Wow, All I wanted was for you to be able to Novacom/Novaterm, assuming you would setup a computer, get zip (your choice on the product), Java, and Novacom/Novaterm working...

I warned to not try to mess up your partitions... But it seems you did not great....

Ok, I am sure I detail this somewhere else, but I will attempt from memory...

Using your computer get a copy of the JAR file (webosdoctorp305hstnhatt.jar) from:
    Again, thanx for your help. The suggested .jar file is for the ATT 3G model. I've already downloaded the "wi-fi" only version: webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar. Is that O.K. or should I use the 3G version?

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
  18.    #18  

Once you get there let me know I will post the next steps (to mount the LVM, and fsck each partition as you can not fsck a partition in use).
    I'm assuming the .jar file I downloaded (wi-fi only) was the correct one. I'm there and ran the command. It seems to have completed successfully; at least it didn't return an error message; just went back to the command prompt. My Touchpad is fully charged and is resting on the Touchstone charger. I'm assuming that present's no problem. If it does, let me know. What's next?
    Last edited by DaElderGeek; 07/09/2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Typos

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    I'm assuming the .jar file I downloaded (wi-fi only) was the correct one. I'm there and ran the command. It seems to have completed successfully; at least it didn't return an error message; just went back to the command prompt. My Touchpad is fully charged and is resting on the Touchstone charger. I'm assuming that present's no problem. If it does, let me know. What's next?
    Sorry WIFI/ATT JAR file does not matter the uImage is Topaz, it does not matter, but WiFi works just fine.

Once you run novacom and inject the uimage, with the Touchpad still connected to the computer via USB:

Now use novaterm:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    ls /dev/store

It should show you the 8 partitions (you might see more depending on Andriod's install)...
    Run fsck against them all except /dev/store/media for that run dosfsck -r /dev/store/media and report back copy/paste each result
    If you have issue(s) I will walk you thru it...

File System ChecKer will fix if it can any issues...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/09/2013 at 03:51 PM.
  20.    #20  

I hope I haven't bricked my Touchpad. I flashed the boot image you suggested this morning and left my Touchpad connected to the computer and resting on the Touchstone, waiting for you to check-in until just a few minutes ago. I found this thread which I concluded was the "step by step" roadmap you were talking about, so I started to follow the process. I knew it was going to wipe everything and start over, but that was OK. All was going well until until the point highlighted below, when the first error code popped up:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    (Just the last few lines. I'll post the full console dialog if you need it.)

Do you really want to remove active logical volume "cm-data"? [y/n]: y
    Logical volume "cm-data" successfully removed
    Volume group "store" successfully removed
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailur
    11 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    /dev/store: already exists in filesystem
    New volume group name "store" is invalid

Run `vgcreate --help' for more information.
    root@webos-device:/# vcgcreate --help
    /bin/sh: vcgcreate: not found
    root@webos-device:/#

The big question from the preceding snippet of console dialog is: If 'store' really was deleted where highlighted above, why did the vgcreate fail because it already existed? Is that an indication the infamous 'nand lock'?

Immediately after that my Touchpad lost connection because the battery had run down. I had no choice but to disconnect it and connect it to the wall charger. That was the first time I realized that the Touchpad wasn't charging while in recovery mode. Bummer. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish this process later or find another way to unbrick it.
    Last edited by DaElderGeek; 07/09/2013 at 07:38 PM.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast