Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DaElderGeek View Post
    I hope I haven't bricked my Touchpad. I flashed the boot image you suggested this morning and left my Touchpad connected to the computer and resting on the Touchstone, waiting for you to check-in until just a few minutes ago. I found this thread which I concluded was the "step by step" roadmap you were talking about, so I started to follow the process. I knew it was going to wipe everything and start over, but that was OK. All was going well until until the point highlighted below, when the first error code popped up:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    (Just the last few lines. I'll post the full console dialog if you need it.)

Do you really want to remove active logical volume "cm-data"? [y/n]: y
    Logical volume "cm-data" successfully removed
    Volume group "store" successfully removed
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailur
    11 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    /dev/store: already exists in filesystem
    New volume group name "store" is invalid

Run `vgcreate --help' for more information.
    root@webos-device:/# vcgcreate --help
    /bin/sh: vcgcreate: not found
    root@webos-device:/#

The big question from the preceding snippet of console dialog is: If 'store' really was deleted where highlighted above, why did the vgcreate fail because it already existed? Is that an indication the infamous 'nand lock'?

Immediately after that my Touchpad lost connection because the battery had run down. I had no choice but to disconnect it and connect it to the wall charger. That was the first time I realized that the Touchpad wasn't charging while in recovery mode. Bummer. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish this process later or find another way to unbrick it.
    I do not understand the command(s) I told you to type was:
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    root@webos-device:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

Then using ls /dev/store?

I never said remove nor lvm.static vgcreate

Not sure where you got that from, but the step by step was:
    1) Go into Bootie (Volume-Up and Plug in USB)
    2) Use novacom to inject uImage so you can command line to Touchpad
    3) Use novaterm and five commands
    lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    ls /dev/store
    fsck all partitions except /dev/store/media
    dosfsck -r /dev/store/media

Sorry I am not sure what you were following?

Ok I re-read your post and followed the XDA link, yeah if you follow that it will remove all partitions and it will re-create a blank slate.

However, if when you attempt to remove and it ignores and does not remove store then this is a classic tall tale sign of a NAND locked device.

I am not sure how the NAND lock happens, but it appears to happen to those that leave Android booted.

My Touchpad is multi-booted, but when I am done using an OS I always reboot into webOS.
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/09/2013 at 10:26 PM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Sorry WIFI/ATT JAR file does not matter the uImage is Topaz, it does not matter, but WiFi works just fine.

Once you run novacom and inject the uimage, with the Touchpad still connected to the computer via USB:

Now use novaterm:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    ls /dev/store

It should show you the 8 partitions (you might see more depending on Andriod's install)...
    Run fsck against them all except /dev/store/media for that run dosfsck -r /dev/store/media and report back copy/paste each result
    If you have issue(s) I will walk you thru it...

File System ChecKer will fix if it can any issues...
    Sorry for all the confusion. I performed the first steps about 2:15pm yesterday (7/9) afternoon. Although I refreshed my browser and this thread about every 15 minutes or so, this message never showed up yesterday at all. I last checked before I went to bed about 12:30am last night (7/10) and it still hadn't posted. I saw it this morning when I woke up. I ran the commands you suggested just now and it listed the following partitions:

cm-cache
    cm-system
    log
    mojodb
    swap
    var
    mojodb
    swap
    var
    cm-data
    filecache
    media
    root
    cm-cacheupdate

I don'twant to screw up again; what's the exact syntax for "fsck" in this circumstance, or is my TP toast because a nand lock has been confirmed? Again, thanx for all your help.
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Sorry for all the confusion. I performed the first steps about 2:15pm yesterday (7/9) afternoon. Although I refreshed my browser and this thread about every 15 minutes or so, this message never showed up yesterday at all. I last checked before I went to bed about 12:30am last night (7/10) and it still hadn't posted. I saw it this morning when I woke up. I ran the commands you suggested just now and it listed the following partitions:

I don'twant to screw up again; what's the exact syntax for "fsck" in this circumstance, or is my TP toast because a nand lock has been confirmed? Again, thanx for all your help.
    Well for each run fsck:

fsck /dev/store/cm-cache
    fsck /dev/store/cm-system
    fsck /dev/store/log
    fsck /dev/store/var
    fsck /dev/store/cm-data
    fsck /dev/store/filecache
    fsck /dev/store/root
    fsck /dev/store/cm-cacheupdate

Seems I see a few repeats?
    mojodb
    mojodb
    swap
    swap
    var

However, SWAP and MOJODB do not see to be checked and if they are corrupt the only way I know is to re-create them (format them blank). I would not mess with them at this point, work on the above first...

I have seen a NAND lock be locked via software (partition read/write issue) and fsck fix it, but as you attempted a remove and it ignored it, lets still attempt a software unlock...

Again, paste the output of each command and lets see if it works?
  4.    #24  
    Well for each run fsck:

fsck /dev/store/cm-cache
    fsck /dev/store/cm-system
    fsck /dev/store/log
    fsck /dev/store/var
    fsck /dev/store/cm-data
    fsck /dev/store/filecache
    fsck /dev/store/root
    fsck /dev/store/cm-cacheupdate

Seems I see a few repeats?
    mojodb
    mojodb
    swap
    swap
    var

However, SWAP and MOJODB do not see to be checked and if they are corrupt the only way I know is to re-create them (format them blank). I would not mess with them at this point, work on the above first...

I have seen a NAND lock be locked via software (partition read/write issue) and fsck fix it, but as you attempted a remove and it ignored it, lets still attempt a software unlock...

Again, paste the output of each command and lets see if it works?
    I got an error on the first entry:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<
    root@webos-device:/# fsck /dev/store/cm-cache
    fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
    e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
    /dev/store/cm-cache: recovering journal
    /dev/store/cm-cache: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short rea
    /dev/store/cm-cache: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short rea
    d while reading block 431

JBD: Failed to read block at offset 12

fsck.ext4: Input/output error while recovering ext3 journal of /dev/store/cm-cac

fsck.ext4: Input/output error while recovering ext3 journal of /dev/store/cm-cac
    he

fsck.ext4: Input/output error while recovering ext3 journal of /dev/store/cm-cache
    root@webos-device:/#

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is there any point to continuing?
    "The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic."

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
  5.    #25  
    I did run all the commands and got several errors. I'll post the exact errors in a while. I cut and pasted the console dialog but it seemed to double the entries. I'll weed out the duplicates and post the entire dialog after I've cleaned it up. The bottom line seems to be that there were errors that fsck couldn't fix.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    I did run all the commands and got several errors. I'll post the exact errors in a while. I cut and pasted the console dialog but it seemed to double the entries. I'll weed out the duplicates and post the entire dialog after I've cleaned it up. The bottom line seems to be that there were errors that fsck couldn't fix.
    The tall tale sign of a bad NAND chip: Input/output error

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The I/O errors in the log indicate a hardware failure of the flash memory in your device.

-- Rod
    I have not heard of someone removing the existing NAND chip and replacing it with a spare, but it might be possible, but unless I see something in your log it seems you have a locked NAND.

Point 1 you followed a XDA script to destroy the entire LVM and it ignored it
    Point 2 you attempted a fsck and you are receiving I/O errors
  7.    #27  
    The tall tale sign of a bad NAND chip: Input/output error

I have not heard of someone removing the existing NAND chip and replacing it with a spare, but it might be possible, but unless I see something in your log it seems you have a locked NAND.

Point 1 you followed a XDA script to destroy the entire LVM and it ignored it
    Point 2 you attempted a fsck and you are receiving I/O errors
    Well, at least I have 75% of WebOS. It could be worse. I'll hang on to it until I can get something else. Is there any point to me posting the rest of the errors?

Let me know, and thanx for your help.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Well, at least I have 75% of WebOS. It could be worse. I'll hang on to it until I can get something else. Is there any point to me posting the rest of the errors?

Let me know, and thanx for your help.
    Depends if you run fsck again and the errors you report are fix and no longer there?
  9.    #29  
    Depends if you run fsck again and the errors you report are fix and no longer there?
    OK. I'll try it one more time later and post back.

Sir Arthur C. Clarke
    Anyone found a solution to this yet? Every time I open my Veer, I get the Maps download failed error. I have a backup of the Maps app so I install it. When I reboot my phone, I get the download failed error again.

Is there a way to make it go away, or to permanently delete the Maps app?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12