Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By gihmley
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    is the touchpad's hardware and software still pretty good, or is it laging behind the other OS's?
    ok forget software just as in terms of RAM, processor, etc.
    I'd like to know if it'll still be usable in a few years, or if I should just dual boot ndroid or ubuntu on it instead
    Quote Originally Posted by wang_r1w2 View Post
    I'd like to know if it'll still be usable in a few years, or if I should just dual boot ndroid or ubuntu on it instead
    you can do all 3, which is another reason teh touchpad is still a good device.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    you can do all 3, which is another reason teh touchpad is still a good device.
    Hey geekpeter... You use/test a lot of stuff...

Is TouchPad the only one that can offer a Triple Boot choice for OS???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Hey geekpeter... You use/test a lot of stuff...

Is TouchPad the only one that can offer a Triple Boot choice for OS???
    its the only one i have atm that can do as much, native via bootup or from within (ie: ubuntu chroot), then add in the touchstone on top of that and its still beating my other devices easily.

ofc thats only form a proper "geek" point of view, ie: i like having ubuntu/other os/emulators and basically as much choice as i like.

on another side of 1 fence my ipad3 for example has a ton of funky tech crammed in it, a nice large screenres etc, its all utterly wasted on me tho as theres zero apps or functions the ipad provides that takes advantage of it all in a way i want, its a total waste of a geek device, but ofc fine if all you do is play games but then any old device these days will do the same tbh, so the need for a "beefy" apple device is kinda dimished.

android is a good medium between really useful touchpad/webOS and the utterly useless ipad, it can do much of what webOS can do but ubuntu isnt easy and most utilise/require running a local VNC viewer running alongside to do its magic and can be much more frustrating (has BT mouse support as a bonus IF your android device even works properly with BT mice, many will pair but wont actually use the damned thing).

ive bought 1 ipad from basically others suggesting i do as it was "better" which to a proper geek like me is far from the actual truth as you can get, it ended up being relegated to being a TVCatchup/Netflix device till i got a cheap chineese 6" android phone that fits in my pocket and runs tv/netflix just as well, now all my ipad3 does is let me play XCOM: Enemy Unknown which is great as i was running the amiga 1200 version via UAE4ALL2 on my newer android phone and it was quite fiddly.

My android devices plug any holes my webOS device cant manage which as mentioned above is typically tv/netflix or various emulators we dont have on webOS, plus its been a LONG time since ive coded anything (c64/amiga coder for ages and mostly for personal projects) ive had some free time on my hands tho not a lot so ive been letting some creative juices flow and im trying to make something for myself (always kept to myself as typically my stuff did what i want but sucked compared to other peoples far superior work).

having a ton of devices is only now handy as i get to make/break any new app ideas im having or just re-inventing the wheel as i want it.

heres a quick snap of my current "re-invent the wheel" project im doing, a crappy news reader that works off BBC News and soon(tm) FOX News and add more sources when it works as i want.

but yeah, webOS and esp the touchpad is still my preferred "useful" device, my pre3 also may not be as useful as my other phones but its still operates the best/easyest and is a perfect size to hold, novelty of 1 handed everythign still never wears off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    In the terms of hardware, it's perfectly functional - but I'd definitely put it in the lower tier of usable hardware when compared with what's considered mainstream.

I have iPad 2, Windows RT, and Google Nexus 7 tablets in addition to my Touchpad. Performance wise, the Touchpad is the slower of the bunch, but again - still usable.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    In the terms of hardware, it's perfectly functional - but I'd definitely put it in the lower tier of usable hardware when compared with what's considered mainstream.

I have iPad 2, Windows RT, and Google Nexus 7 tablets in addition to my Touchpad. Performance wise, the Touchpad is the slower of the bunch, but again - still usable.
    id say the native browser on the webOS side is the prime reason for people calling it slow, but i'd say thats a software/webkit issue, if you use opera on the CM10 side of things its a totally acceptable experience, in fact thats the only reason id imagine anyone would call the touchpad "slow", cant think of anything else at all that underperforms.

Unfortunatly its more noticable i think as the prime use for many people on any tablet will be the browser so if thats not as nimble as a browser on another device then thats going to be the primary source of any comparisons.
    GP,

Can you say what is your Android model?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    GP,

Can you say what is your Android model?

Best Regards...
    phone(s) or tablet(s)?

if you mean 1 of my phones from the pic above its already been superceeded, its a cheapo MTK dapeng phone i got for $99, there are better models out now that are likely much better but seem to have the same case/size, mine was single core i think the newer models are all dual/quads

http://www.chinabuye.com/search/?q=dapeng+6+mtk&x=0&y=0

^ quick link listing a few similar to my old one, was so impressed with this single core 1ghz one that i was thinking of getting a dual/quad core one (or preferably something cheaper similar to the one i got) for my nephew as hes got a phone now but still steals his mothers larger LG phone to play games, 1 of these could stop him doing that and their not 1/2 bad, can easily swap over his sim and hes got a nice large phone he can play games on and use when needed.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 06/30/2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post

btw hows the experience on the winblows side of things? typically ive found any old cheapo android device can stand up to the bigger brand android devices and apple stuff for normal day use.

also has anyone tried the BB side of things much, winblows and BB are the only 2 mobile OS i shy away from as i cant really see any edge/function they would give at first glance that i cant get on my other devices, i also dont know a single person irl that has them either.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    btw hows the experience on the winblows side of things? typically ive found any old cheapo android device can stand up to the bigger brand android devices and apple stuff for normal day use.
    You know, surprisingly, I've found Surface to provide a fairly snappy experience thus far. I was a bit reluctant to even give it a try, and it took a little bit to get used to how it handles app switching, but overall performance if fairly speedy. It's truly not bad.

I would add that if you rely heavily on Exchange mail and Outlook, you'd probably be quite pleased. Its built in support for Exchange is, as expected, impressive. That was my prime reason for selecting it for a 'work' tablet. It excels nicely in that area.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    My Firesale TouchPad still going strong. I do have it dual-booted with Android and use the Android side a lot, but still love coming back to the WebOS side for a lot of things.

One of the things that has helped is loading Flixi onto the android side. Not quite as good as the WebOS version but still is best dock screen I have found
    switching to an iphone I still find daily use for my Touchpad now and well into the future

a tablet to me serves a different function than a smartphone and is still in league with the ipad
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    switching to an iphone I still find daily use for my Touchpad now and well into the future

a tablet to me serves a different function than a smartphone and is still in league with the ipad

Looking back it is unbelievable how far ahead WebOS and the TouchPad was at the time. Ah, what might have been....
    Meh... it still does fine compared to most other devices that I've tried out.

If it came down to it, you could always load up Splashtop and remote access your main computer and have things as fast as your desktop can be. We're talking having just about any OS on it, etc. :-p

Sound wise, I've yet to see anything come close to it's speakers.... (and the 3D effect is amazing).
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by wang_r1w2 View Post
    is the touchpad's hardware and software still pretty good, or is it laging behind the other OS's?
    ok forget software just as in terms of RAM, processor, etc.
    The Touchpad is behind other devices as far as RAM and processor, but that is how things are in the world of technology. Technology advances and the newer devices are more powerful than the old ones. The Touchpad is still "pretty good", just like a PC (or Mac) that is a few years old is still going to do fine.

Whether or not it needs android or ubuntu on it for it to be usable is a different question than whether or not the hardware is good enough.
    Is there a better 10" tablet for $150/$200? I mean it's competition is smaller tablets like the Nexus 7 and junk right?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html