Had to doctor my Pre2
First activation worked ok, but I had a bit of trouble with the cert.
Altered date to before July 23 2013
From the App Catalog, I installed the update (if you try to update App Catalog from software manager, this renders the app catalog unusable, but a "revert" fixes it)
This was apparently successful, but still couldn't install anything.
Several reboots later, I installed preware, & Internalz Pro. Found the certificate (see earlier posts about this) and opened it. Date was 2013. I then tapped on "Trust Certificate" , made sure time was set to network time, and rebooted.
Hey presto, everything works.
Don't know why I had to manually trust the cert, but hopefully this might help someone else.