Like Tree26Likes
  • 19 Post By k4ever
  • 2 Post By etphoto
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By kevets
  • 3 Post By k4ever
  1.    #1  
    Just wanted to let you all know that I still have my TouchPad, I still use it a lot, and I read post from this forum everyday.

I'm in Afghanistan right now. I deployed here several months ago and still have several months to go before I can go home. My TouchPad has been a god-sent. It hardly ever leaves my side. I use it a lot more than I use my laptop or any other device I have.

It was not always roses and cherry blossoms. The first two weeks after I arrived my TouchPad wasn't touched much. Not the fault of the TouchPad. We have very crappy Internet service here. It is about 1 step above dial-up, unreliable, and over twice what you would pay for service in the States that is 10x better. Iit's also Wifi only and you can only have one device connected at a time (no routers). It's all we have for service that you can get in the privacy of your room, so I am stuck with it. The first two weeks the wifi signal in my room was so weak that I had to buy a high gain antenna just to get a decent signal on my laptop. My TouchPad and phone would not connect to the service unless I was outside directly under an access point. After a few weeks I complained big time and the ISP installed an access point in my building. I was finally able to connect to the service with TouchPad and my laptop became a second class citizen.

I wasn't expecting the TouchPad (with webOS) to be my prime device. Before I deployed I made sure I had an updated version of CM10 on my TouchPad. I made sure that everything was up to date on my dual boot Windows 7/Linux laptop. I even made sure I had an Android world phone with everything I needed installed and updated. WebOS has kicked all of their butts.

First, the Android world phone (Motorola Photon 4G) has been such a pain in the ****. It has an unlock SIM port which is better than what the newer Sprint phones (and Verizon) have. However, setting up the APN for the phone was difficult. The shop that sold me the SIM card couldn't get it set up. It seems that setting up Android phones are kind of hit or miss. After a few days I finally found an app that set it up for me. The phone doesn't keep some of the network settings if it is in a dead spot for long periods of time. It also has a problem with some of the network's messages (call time, etc). After finally getting the phone set up, I discovered that Android can't seem to handle slow network speeds well. More on that later.

Second, Windows 7 makes me want to pull my hair out! I already have a slow connection speed and Windows seems to want to download stuff in the background all the time slowing it down even further. I turn off auto-updates for the system, but I have apps that keep going rogue on me. Plus it is taking forever to boot up now so I just abandoned it altogether.

Third, CM10 on the TouchPad just cannot handle the slower network speed. Android on my phone seems to have the same issue also, so it may not all be CM10. The web browsers take forever to load a page if they load them at all. Most of the time they just time out. In addition to the default browser I have tried Boat Browser, Dolphin, and UC Browser. All behave the same. Until the recent layout update, the Play Store would time out everytime. I have to use the Browser based Play Store to install apps. For some reason CM10 decided to go into an infinite boot loop one day and I had to reinstall it. I was not very happy with that.

Last, Skype on Windows and Android just plain sucks on this network. I need Skype to stay in touch with my wife and daughter. Can you imagine the frustration my family and I had when right in the middle of a video chat, Skype disconnected or the sound stopped working. We tried Skype from my Windows 7 laptop to my wife's brand new Windows 8 laptop. We would get at least 5 or 6 disconnects in a 20 minute conversation. We tried Skype from my Windows laptop to her Samsung Galaxy S-3. Even worse. We tried Skype from my phone to her phone and computer, even when I was on a good network (our air terminals have free fast wifi) and it was by far the worst experience ever. My phone kept locking up and restarting. We even switched to Oovoo. Same crap with crappy ads.

I decided to boot my TouchPad back into webOS one night. After logging in to the network, I noticed that my TouchPad's browsers did not time out. Not only that the web pages seemed to load a little faster. Zite actually loaded (it took a little while) in webOS while Zite or Flipboard on Android has not yet. The best part was Skype. I decided to call my wife using Skype on webOS. She happen to be on her TouchPad at the time (also in webOS). After 25 minutes of video chat, my wife mentioned that it was the longest we had gone without Skype dropping out. We now only video chat over Skype with eachother on the TouchPads. We've been doing this almost every night for a month now and I can count the number of dropped video calls on one hand. The amazing part about this is that Microsoft owns Skype. You would think it would work better on their OS. Skype on webOS hasn't been updated in over a year (Android recieves regular updates) and it is better than the newer versions on the OSes that still have support.

Even YouTube on webOS works better on our slower network than YouTube on Android. I tried in vain to watch one of the Man of Steel trailers on YouTube in CM10. First, it was taking forever to buffer the video. Second the darn buffer would restart if I switch to another app or put the TouchPad in the charger (after the clock popped up). Switched to webOS and was able to watch the trailer in the browser. It buffered while I was reading my email. Enough said on that.

I am extremely happy that ACL is coming to webOS on the TouchPad. The only thing I boot into Android for now is to use PowerAmp. I have a nice pair of over the ear bluetooth headphones that have some good natural bass. For some reason, the homebrew equalizer program in webOS doesn't work over Bluetooth. Plus there is no dedicated bass/treble dials in webOS. PowerAmp has all this so listening to music through PowerAmp on CM10 is a better experience than on webOS. Watching movies on webOS in KSMPlayer is excellent with the headphones, though. It seems that the bass from the movies through KSMP works just right. Oh, btw, my iPad owning co-workers are jealous of the TouchPad's stereo speakers.

I was entertaining buying another tablet like a Galaxy Tab II or an iPad. I have bought them as gifts to others. Not at this time. I can't justify spending the money and I know I wouldn't enjoy them as much.
    Glad you are still and thank you for serving.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Vistaus and xandros9 like this.
    Wait. What? Afghanistan has poor Internet service?? LOL

Glad to see you still checking in on the site and yes, a huge Thank You for your service!
    Stay safe, Brother. Our thoughts are with you.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    Thanks for your service. Stay safe over there!

For the longest time, my TP screen was unresponsive. Then one day, it just magically started working again so I've been using it quite a bit in the past month.

In fact, I just downloaded a new app today for this first time in about a year, Kalem Media Player.

Still enjoying my TP!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Thanks for checking in, and most definitely thank you for your service!
    Last edited by Landslug; 05/23/2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: removed long quote
    Still flyin'! Thanks for the update and for doing what you do. Interesting to see how webOS can still outperform in some areas even after being abandoned by its owners.

Jeez, webOS is the Firefly of mobile OS's. Now if we can just get a major motion picture made out of webOS. Wait... what? brb, shiny object.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Buddy1969 likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Everyone, thanks for your support. I'm keeping my head down and staying alert so I can come home to my family.

@Kevets, Firefly was an excellent show. Fox was stupid to cancel it considering all the other junk they kept on. Anyway, I loved the movie. A fitting way to go out.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Great webOS story.

in light of little webOS news, this one would make an excellent profile story.
    Derek?

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Everyone, thanks for your support. I'm keeping my head down and staying alert so I can come home to my family.

@Kevets, Firefly was an excellent show. Fox was stupid to cancel it considering all the other junk they kept on. Anyway, I loved the movie. A fitting way to go out.

Wishing the best for you and looking forward to seeing you back here. Let us know if there is anything you need.
    Stay safe, man... I'll pray for you.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    ...Jeez, webOS is the Firefly of mobile OS's. ...
    Very fitting comparison. A brilliant show and a brilliant OS. Both went down due to corporate negligence and bad marketing...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Hey, I still use my Touchpad as well! Unfortunately, I need to Doctor this thing. I need to reboot daily ever since November 2012. It's time to start fresh and then do the Preware jam again.

Also, like everyone else says: Thanks for your service to this country and hope you get back here safe and sound.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  14.    #14  
    I figured I would update you all and post something positive at the same time (been ranting about iOS users a little too much lately). I switched my Internet service to a wired service instead of wireless. Still slow as the other service, but it is $10 cheaper. I can also connect multiple wireless devices to the service by using a free app called Virtual Wireless Router for Windows 7 on my laptop.

This has opened up a whole new world for my TouchPad. I turned my Windows laptop into an Internet and media server. I use the KalemSoft media streamer on my laptop to stream movies and music videos to my TouchPad. The money I spent for KalemSoft Media Player was the best money I've spent so far for any mobile app. My ISP requires that I log in from a browser on the laptop every now and then. This would require me to get out of the bed first thing in the morning just to log in, then get back in the bed to read the news on the TouchPad. Fixed this by using Splashtop remote on the TouchPad to control the laptop. I log into my laptop using Splashtop, then log into the Internet from the laptop's browser all from the TouchPad while staying in bed.

Skype on the TouchPad is still more reliable than on any other platform. Android is still the buggiest. Can't go more than 2 minutes without the call getting dropped. Skype for Windows is just as bad.

Internet use is still slower under CM10 than under webOS, but it is a little more manageable with the new service. I just don't like using Android the OS that much and the browsers suck. Even without all of the bells and whistles and updates to web standards, the default browser on the TouchPad is smoother, doesn't crash at all, and can play a flash video without issues.

I've given up on trying to use Android the OS and just concentrate on using the Android apps. I can't wait for ACL so I can stop wasting time booting into Android just to play Laser Tanks. I hate how Android and iOS works. Right now I am typing this while I playing music and I have Splashtop open. I am able to switch back and forth between everything with the swipe of my thumb. Effortless. Not so much with Android. Plus videos start over instead of loading in the background on CM10. My connections is too slow for that. It is very frustrating.

I just got a new case delivered today in the mail from Amazon. I like it a lot and it works with the Touchstone. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

Right now all is well in TouchPad land for me. Just waiting on PIC to hurry up and release ACL...

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I figured I would update you all and post something positive at the same time (been ranting about iOS users a little too much lately). I switched my Internet service to a wired service instead of wireless. Still slow as the other service, but it is $10 cheaper. I can also connect multiple wireless devices to the service by using a free app called Virtual Wireless Router for Windows 7 on my laptop.

This has opened up a whole new world for my TouchPad. I turned my Windows laptop into an Internet and media server. I use the KalemSoft media streamer on my laptop to stream movies and music videos to my TouchPad. The money I spent for KalemSoft Media Player was the best money I've spent so far for any mobile app. My ISP requires that I log in from a browser on the laptop every now and then. This would require me to get out of the bed first thing in the morning just to log in, then get back in the bed to read the news on the TouchPad. Fixed this by using Splashtop remote on the TouchPad to control the laptop. I log into my laptop using Splashtop, then log into the Internet from the laptop's browser all from the TouchPad while staying in bed.

Skype on the TouchPad is still more reliable than on any other platform. Android is still the buggiest. Can't go more than 2 minutes without the call getting dropped. Skype for Windows is just as bad.

Internet use is still slower under CM10 than under webOS, but it is a little more manageable with the new service. I just don't like using Android the OS that much and the browsers suck. Even without all of the bells and whistles and updates to web standards, the default browser on the TouchPad is smoother, doesn't crash at all, and can play a flash video without issues.

I've given up on trying to use Android the OS and just concentrate on using the Android apps. I can't wait for ACL so I can stop wasting time booting into Android just to play Laser Tanks. I hate how Android and iOS works. Right now I am typing this while I playing music and I have Splashtop open. I am able to switch back and forth between everything with the swipe of my thumb. Effortless. Not so much with Android. Plus videos start over instead of loading in the background on CM10. My connections is too slow for that. It is very frustrating.

I just got a new case delivered today in the mail from Amazon. I like it a lot and it works with the Touchstone. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

Right now all is well in TouchPad land for me. Just waiting on PIC to hurry up and release ACL...

Nice post! I still use my TP as much as possible. And obviously i do not have the pre anymore but I do have the Nexus 4 on AT&T and I have to say this is one of the best phones I've ever seen. Android was definitely a getting use to operating system and not as easy as webOS but the apps are incredible.

Also, I have the official HP case on my touchpad which I love and I put velcro on it so that when the flap closes, it stays shut. And of course it works with the touchstone.

Sent using Tap coupled with Talk on a device that will knock your socks off of my feet: Nexus 4
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.