Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Ecut93
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By chalx
  • 1 Post By jollyxier
  • 1 Post By Ecut93
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Hey all! I know this is kind of pointless but I just wanted to discuss finally making the decision to purchase a Touchpad! Albeit almost two years after its release.
    I was saving up to buy one when it was released but they pulled the plug before I could, I missed the fire sale, and then wound up settling with an iPad2 (which I do love). I guess I am justifying purchasing it since I have ~32GB to use for movies and tv shows that I can take with me, which I feel will be useful since the 16GB on my iPad are being used up by apps and music (plus I got the Touchpad for a good price on eBay).
    It's very satisfying to finally have one after wanting one for so long, even if it doesn't stand up to other tablets on the market and will only be used for multimedia.

So what do you use your Touchpad for, and is it your main tablet?
    TUFF Stough and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecut93 View Post
    Hey all! I know this is kind of pointless but I just wanted to discuss finally making the decision to purchase a Touchpad! Albeit almost two years after its release.
    I was saving up to buy one when it was released but they pulled the plug before I could, I missed the fire sale, and then wound up settling with an iPad2 (which I do love). I guess I am justifying purchasing it since I have ~32GB to use for movies and tv shows that I can take with me, which I feel will be useful since the 16GB on my iPad are being used up by apps and music (plus I got the Touchpad for a good price on eBay).
    It's very satisfying to finally have one after wanting one for so long, even if it doesn't stand up to other tablets on the market and will only be used for multimedia.

Are you a Dual Boot Droid?

Regardless - congrats on finally getting there with a TP!
    I use mine as a kind of Mobile Satellite from/of the PC - so a great way to carry Docs, Music & Vids etc around with you, yes. I change the content quite often as memory is of course still limited.

You will enjoy bringing your TP 'up to speed' and personalising it with the many excellent patches etc available in 'Preware' here.

Then it's your turn to say how much better webOS is!

When it was introduced the TP specs were as good, if not better that most other 'Tabs' on the market.. and it still therefore very effectively 'holds it's own' now in that respect - and in my humble opinion.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/30/2013 at 09:15 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    I bought my 32GB Touchpad four months ago. I use it for the basics (web browsing, email, music, weather, GPS etc.). I'm not a big movie watcher so space shouldn't become an issue. I also use it for my alarm clock in Exhibition Mode. I love how seamless it was to set up a printer on the Touchpad. That wasn't the case with my spouse's Galaxy tablet. And if PIC and OpenMobile get that ACL working, I won't have to consider dual booting Android on my Touchpad (if I'm correct) to get to Android apps.

I bought the Touchpad because I wanted a tablet with the WebOS UI like my phone.
    Check this thread out: Top HP TouchPad Apps You must Have

Depending on what you plan to do with it (aside movies), you might be surprised to all the things that it can do and what's available for it.

Since you mention movies... then the first two things I recommend are:

Kalemsoft Media Player
    Touchvol (Preware)

then WIFI file sharing (Preware) so to tranfer things over wirelessly.

Once you get Touchvol installed, get ready to be blown away by the 3D sound... no tablet comes close.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    'Touchplayer' is good for most files too..

http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/481492...ml%3Cbr%20/%3E

TouchPlayer

*If* it's still downloadable!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/30/2013 at 11:33 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Welcome to the TouchPad and webOS.

This is the must read thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html which will get you up to speed regarding TP and webOS.

TP is my only tablet, when I got my 32GB I gave my Android tablet to the GF.

I mostly use it for light browsing, time wasters (games), music playback and streaming some media from my home network. I've got a few videos on board as well.

If multimedia is your big thing - check out Plex. I was using Plex Media Server off my computer to feed my Roku so getting Plex up and running on the TP was a natural extension. Plex for WebOS

No dual booting for me, but lots of people have put CM on their TouchPad to run either ICS or JB. There are others who dual boot into Ubuntu. Check around the forums for guides on those ideas.

Once you get comfortable with the OS and the hardware, you may want to consider trying LunaCE if you are comfortable with being a Beta or Alpha Tester. LunaCE 4.x brings a lot of advances to the UI, but requires a commitment to following the rules out lined in the first post of the thread I linked.

Glad to have you here. Enjoy.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    Touchpad is my main tablet, and webOS is running on it 90% of time. I'm using it as rss reader and for some lite web browsing. Beside Touchpad I own Ipad2 which I gave to my wife, and have Galaxy Tab 10V and Galaxy Tab 8.9 as company issued devices but I'm not using them at all because for work related stuff I boot Touchpad in CM9 and have better experience than with Samsung tablets.
    scjjtt likes this.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecut93 View Post

I found an article about TouchPad vs. iPad 2 vs. Galaxy Tab and Other Honeycomb Tablets for you. I think you can know more from this article. The link is here: TouchPad vs. iPad 2 vs. Galaxy Tab and Other Honeycomb Tablets | PCMag.com
    And congratulations! If you want download some app to your TouchPad, here recommend some top apps to you: Top HP TouchPad Apps You must Have
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Thank you everybody for your replies! I wanted to wait to respond until my Touchpad got here, which it finally did!

@Mutoidi: I am going to dualboot and put on preware, yep! I haven't done either yet but I plan on it. I figure that if the option is there, then I might as well do it! Though I am pretty excited for the kickstarter thing that will let you play android apps in webOS -- sounds awesome to me!

@PurplePansy: Very cool! I totally agree that setting this up to a printer was a breeze. I haven't bought a touchstone yet but I'm sure exhibition made will be handy when I do! I really liked that feature on my Pre3~

@imfallen_angel: Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out.

@Mutoidi: Thank you also! I will check that out as well.

@RumoredNow: Thanks, I've read the guide! I am loving the touchpad world. Though I am not new to WebOS! I bought the original Pre when it came out and I have a Pre3 as well (I no longer use it as my main phone though -- the lack of apps broke me down). It is certainly nice to be using WebOS again!
    I'll look into Plex and Luna too! Certainly sounds like something interesting.

@Chalx: Awesome! I'm going to dualboot with Android as well.

@Jollyxier: Thank you for the links! The comparisons were very interesting. And excellent, some of those apps look very helpful! If only I could figure out how to set up my credit card. :X (I figured it was in the App Catalog's preferences but every time I click on it, I'm taken to an error message page D: )
    RumoredNow likes this.