Page 1 of 105 1234561151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    1. Will this work on future ports to phones as well
    Last edited by Greg Mair; 04/28/2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added some stuff
    sanaking and andyb1508 like this.
    good news regarding ACL, bad news that it requires kickstarter to achieve that.

Had it been made available to buy from the get go people who departed webOS for more apps may have come back to try, id be amazed if anyone whos left not only came back but had to fork out cash to get back what they already have in their current android system.

Hope it succeeds (ill help fund) but not holding much hope in the long run, tbh its like replacing 1 long awaited promise with another, its a good idea to release it but tbh a company should have forked out the funding, made it available for current/future devices ensuring webOS and upcoming open webOS releases have a decent app selection.

happy to hear about ACL tbh, unhappy tho its taken this unrealistic route.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Hope it succeeds (ill help fund) but not holding much hope in the long run, tbh its like replacing 1 long awaited promise with another, its a good idea to release it but tbh a company should have forked out the funding, made it available for current/future devices ensuring webOS and upcoming open webOS releases have a decent app selection.

happy to hear about ACL tbh, unhappy tho its taken this unrealistic route.
    The reality is, there is no third party company to get behind this. The big companies have left us, and the community is what's left. If webOS is going to move forward, it's going to be as a result of all of us pooling our resources and making it happen together...I've been let down too many times to believe in anything else.
    MAMISHO and Jive Turkey like this.
    backed
    MAMISHO likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    The reality is, there is no third party company to get behind this. The big companies have left us, and the community is what's left. If webOS is going to move forward, it's going to be as a result of all of us pooling our resources and making it happen together...I've been let down too many times to believe in anything else.
    I wonder what PIC gets in the long run from this, does this ACL/PIC deal only apply to current touchpads, what about future stuff? open webOS etc, i can understand what ACL gets, they would at long last remove their vaporware ball and chain their lugging around everywhere.

it would be nice tbh if LG did participate, well, only IF they do idd realistically plan to use webOS or some modified form of it for any of their projects as opposed to maybe using its innards/patents to do something different.

another waiting game either way.
    I donated. Seems like a win-win as long as it can get funded. I just wonder if this could work on the Pre3/Veer. If I could get the half-dozen or so Android apps webOS lacks that I need I would love to switch back to my Pre3 as my primary phone.

I agree that compatibility with Open webOS projects certainly is a priority but it would be a nice gesture to eliminate the lack of apps as an issue from legacy webOS phones as well in the interim.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 04/28/2013 at 09:29 AM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Vistaus likes this.
    they badly need to change their video on kickstarter tho, too much talking/slideshow and not enough actual "ACL in action" tbh.

its a little uninspiring.
    kevets likes this.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Backed! Indeed, they need help in their commercial department :-) But anyway, i think this is a good start for the return of webOS. When they manage to get this properly running on webOS 3.0.5, the next step should be open webOS. With that we will have new hardware options and better software! Those two together will help in generating more awareness, and get the ball rolling again! (or am i to optimistic?)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by g.vos; 04/28/2013 at 10:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    donated!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Donated...
    Thinking of donating, even if I don't own a Touchpad (yet?)

Can someone (try to) explain, why this is limited to webOS 3.x? I'd love to try this on my Pre3 as well.
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Backed. Hope there is some way to share the clipboard. I will probably still dual boot for games, but for running apps that don't require direct hardware hooks for performance this is great.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Boo!!!!! Hiss!!!!!

I wouldn't give Open Mobile monopoly money to play with, let alone real $$$.

Their track record is thus: lie a lot about how imminent things are, smile real wide and act excited, cart around some demo videos of an alpha.

They have claimed on their website for months that ACL is "available today" for webOS, for MeeGo, for Windows, for Ubuntu, for Tizen... Read their website. Look at their Datasheets. Notice the present tense language of all that is a done deal, accomplished fact, usable product that you can have right here and now. Then try and find a product that they have released to an OEM or a consumer.

All just lies. Not marketing hype. Outright fabrications that bear no semblance to reality. They lie knowingly, slyly and maliciously. Boo!!!!! Hiss!!!!!

Shame on Phoenix International Communications for passing around a donation basket to hand to these hucksters.

Shame on anyone who donates one penny to this.

As they say: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

<staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/08/2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    dignitary, Vistaus, cgk and 3 others like this.
    I am still waiting on confirmation of what Android API Level this supports. Do not donate expecting this to run Jelly Bean-caliber apps. You will be lucky if it's Gingerbread compatible. That is the elephant in the room and I think that people deserve to know these kind of details before being expected to sign off to donate to a project such as this.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I am still waiting on confirmation of what Android API Level this supports. Do not donate expecting this to run Jelly Bean-caliber apps. You will be lucky if it's Gingerbread compatible. That is the elephant in the room and I think that people deserve to know these kind of details before being expected to sign off to donate to a project such as this.
    It's Android 2.3.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Buddy1969 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    It's Android 2.3.
    That's good enough to support the apps I actually need. Especially if the Netflix app will run through the abstracted layer. I don't have to have the latest and greatest.

I backed. If it works, this is coming at a good time for me--I just cracked the seal on a new-in-box Touchpad 4G this week. I don't really want to dual-boot Jellybean just so the kids can watch Pinky-Dinky-Doo.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    It's Android 2.3.

Well Hell... Like Rodney Argent said, "It's only money"

Is it true that a 2 year old Touchpad is faster than the new HP 7 inch Slate?
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    Wait, after all that time, it's still ONLY ALPHA? After all the promises that it'd be ready only a few months after each announcement? And it's still got a messed-up aspect ratio and lag even when typing?

No offense, but this doesn't speak well of OpenMobile. Not one bit. I'll be keeping tabs on this effort to see if it comes out any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    Well Hell... Like Rodney Argent said, "It's only money"

Is it true that a 2 year old Touchpad is faster than the new HP 7 inch Slate?
    yeah but as ive said for other devices, what needs the extra horsepower exactly? any time people start mentioning a "need" for better processors or dual/quad core stuff the ONLY thing that needs that is 3d games and thats the only thing.

ive got a single core 6" 1ghz android phone that runs pretty much any/everything app wise thats considered normal, same for my 7" and 8" android chineese tablets, 1 is single core, 1 is dual and they dont knock past 1.2ghz, again tho nothing really taxes them.

you hear the same thing over on the ipad/iphone forums, people dribbling for the ipad4 over their 3s stating gfx/processor improvements as a MUST HAVE, i mean why? not 1 single app needs it yet people quote specs and rave like they need it badly.
    namgod likes this.
Page 1 of 105 1234561151101 ... LastLast