Page 99 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4989949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I would imagine "something" is happening.
    If any progress has been made, we haven't been notified of it.
    If anyone from these forums has heard from either Open Mobile or Phoenix, I assume we would have heard about it. Have you read the last few pages of the thread to see?
    What....... the answer I always give when I get a question about "something or what."
    I'm pretty sure these guys didn't write the software for Obamacare, but I could be wrong. I try not to follow American politics too closely....certainly not something as mundane (for me) as health care.

I gave up on these guys a long time ago and let it go. Not worth my time and effort to get mad about it anymore. The more issues I had with webOS, the easier it was for me to switch over to a permanent solution, and since recently getting a laptop, I barely use my tablet anymore.

edit recent tweet from Open Mobile:

OpenMobile ‏@openmobileww 6m
    A mobile world. An apps world! Ensure that consumers on non-Android platforms have access to your Android app! #CES2014 #booth35680
    I agree with you , I don't follow politics either, it was just that the Obamacare web site is such a mess, I was sure that Phoenix must have been involved in it. lol
    LOL!
    sledge007 and geekpeter like this.
    They've been dragging along on Tizen, same as with everything else.

Uncle Sammy has been pretty patient thus far, but they also want to launch a Tizen phone. Wonder how much longer that partnership will last???
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    So when will there be an official "ACL on webOS is dead" announcement from OM or PIC?

Any of those "Community managers" want to answer another month after the HP-like release and drop the product stunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    So when will there be an official "ACL on webOS is dead" announcement from OM or PIC?

Any of those "Community managers" want to answer another month after the HP-like release and drop the product stunt.
    probably never given their continued attempts at trying to peddle their wares at CES etc, anyone who can even try to research them would find our little community and see a big failure notice which would be embarassing, not that thats an issue for them atm, they dont really have anything to lose.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    btw @cuspie: as it seems OM is not releasing anything in the near future, could you open source your modified version 0.6. install/uninstall-scripts so that those lucky among us who have downloaded the 1.0 version in time and have the licence-key can repackage their ipks to have the best possible version of ACL.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Just install Evervolv AOSP 4.3.2 on your touchpad. It works fine. Stable even overclocked @ 1.8hz. It's not bad.. Not as smooth as webOS, but you get full access to Google play and chrome. The mike did not work sand I think Bluetooth as well. Other than that it works nicely.

It is easy to install. I highly recommend to to a clean install. I removed android and did a whole fresh one.

I really wished ACL and PIC pulled it off, but they did not and every day the browser becomes more incompatible with many websites. PIC should have done a modern WebKit browser for it.

I hate hindsight.

Sent from my XT1056 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    I hate hindsight.

I believe ACL will be released soon because the companies have more riding on it than most of us think. I have been watching closely what LG is doing with WebOS and I have come to the following conclusions (guesstimates).

1) WebOS is going to be BIG.

2) LG, as far as I can see, will be producing phones and tablets based on webOS.

3) ACL will provide these new phones and tablets access to Android apps

4) The smart thing would be for ACL to be included with webOS instead of a separate download. They could sell it separate but I believe it would be much wiser for Open Mobile to have LG pay a small licensing fee to have it included in all their products at the time of production/purchase.

5) I am looking at current webOS users as a test bed and NOT the end-all be-all of ACL. We are just guniea pigs. If ACL can be implemented with us then it's just a short hop over to the LG webOS products.

6) Regardless of what LG is NOT saying, I truly believe, by what I am seeing up to now, that LG has already decided to go full throttle with webOS and that phones and tablets are already in the pipeline. LG is simply more conservative in announcing hardware before Prime Time which is wise. The less anticipation there is the more *wow* the products will have when they are suddenly released upon the public.

7) Will current webOS users benefit from all of this? Kind of. Once ACL has been tested and improved with us, I believe we will be abandoned. But we will at least have the benefit of getting updated for a brief time. I'll be happy with that.

Again, these are simply educated guesses based on what I have seen LG accomplish with webOS up to this point.

To close:
    Open Mobile/Phoenix really have little choice but to get ACL out to us as soon as possible, They have way too much riding on it at the rate LG is moving along with webOS. They have to be suicidal if they don't take advantage of this NOW because if they don't, someone else sure as heck will.

-Koa-
    imurrx and sledge007 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoaFeliciano View Post
    HP wasnt willing to advance webOS further due to the apothaclypse, even in megs hands nothing became of it other than a wash hands exercise, LG has cash and a willingness to spend to develop somethign they want to uniquely own and push forward with.

Given the above, LG dont need ACL tbh, there are products out there by more notable companys with proven history with proven products.

for us at least, ACL was needed 2-3 years ago.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Alas, I was a Kickstarter donator, but nothing to show for it except one beta. Due to a new job/new schedule I was too late to download when ACL was available. No fun getting the "Download now" email only to find there was nada to download.

Not even my promised Phoenix Touchpad stand has arrived. I do hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry to be redundant and beat an old horse, just felt the need to respond.

Axim X51v, HTC X7501, HP Touchpad, iPad 2, BB Playbook, iPhone 4S, HTC Sensation
    I still have not got my keychain. Wish they could at least get that right.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by breley View Post
    Alas, I was a Kickstarter donator, but nothing to show for it except one beta. Due to a new job/new schedule I was too late to download when ACL was available. No fun getting the "Download now" email only to find there was nada to download.

Not even my promised Phoenix Touchpad stand has arrived. I do hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry to be redundant and beat an old horse, just felt the need to respond.
    I got the stand, the key chain light, and the pen and they were all crap. Honestly, the manila envelope was worth MORE used than the stuff.

This whole experience has left me feeling mugged of $65 bucks and holding a bag of "stem bolts".

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    I believe ACL will be released soon because the companies have more riding on it than most of us think. I have been watching closely what LG is doing with WebOS and I have come to the following conclusions (guesstimates).
    It's nice that you are keeping the faith - many are, alongside of you. For all who invested in this project I hope it does pay dividends in the form of a stable product.

There is a lot on the line for OMWW and PIC with this product. For OMWW it would be proof that they can move beyond the "concept" stage and actually produce some working software. For PIC it would show that they are serious enough to move out of the "basement developer" arena.

The link you are drawing between OMWW and LG is tenuous at best, I've seen no evidence they are partnering. Do you know something the rest of us do not?

1) WebOS is going to be BIG.
    We all hope for this. I'm very pleased to see the great press LG's webOS TV is getting.

2) LG, as far as I can see, will be producing phones and tablets based on webOS.
    We all hope for this. However, LG is being very conservative in announcing what is next for webOS. From what I've seen, they will be sticking to the home and connected appliances for the next gen. Phones and tablets appear to be some ways down the road as they build out the branding for webOS and put their own touches on the operating system.

LG is really pushing HTML5 and Enyo2 for development of Apps for webOS. They are espousing an openness for the "internet of things" and not retreating to the idea that Google Play is the be all - end all of App development. LG has announced a few new partnerships in the last couple of months including the AllJoin Alliance being built by Qualcomm and Cisco's "Internet of Everything" initiative. OpenMobileWorldWide doesn't appear anywhere in the partnerships lists with LG that I can find. Even if LG kept such a partnership quiet, do you really believe OMWW could refrain from announcing it? Look how loudly they promote themselves and every project they claim to be working on.

Let's look at OMWW's partner list. They got on the Tizen bandwagon very early and have been promoting their work with Tizen quite heavily ever since. Tizen is the child of Samsung and Intel. Samsung is one of the chief competitors of LG and Intel is one of the chief competitors of Qualcomm (a partner of LG) so there is definitely a conflict and/or some antagonism there.

And what of the inclusion of Google Play for webOS TV? It doesn't yield as much as you'd think. I have Google TV via a set top box (a Sony NSZ-GS7 - one of the most press and consumer review favored G-TV set tops) and I can tell you there is an amazingly small amount of Apps written for or marked as compatible with Google TV. You end up trying to sideload Apps and it's a crap shoot every time. Many simply won't load and of those that do, they don't often function properly or fully. This is not a consumer friendly approach. I think LG would be wise to steer clear of it. In fact they have already announced they are dropping Google TV from their production. Why, then, would they rush back into that crumbling App and support arena?

And how is OMWW faring with their main partnership? The Tizen phone has been often delayed: Report: Samsung's Tizen phones to launch as soon as March How much of that is due to ACL not meeting the standard Uncle Sammy wants? I'd wager quite a bit of it. The Tizen release is what OMWW's reputation will ride on. Not the ACL for TouchPad project. It's the most real and long lasting thing OMWW ever got involved with. Nothing ever happened with ACL for Windows or Linux. Every other initiative OMWW has started for ACL has been with an end-of-life OS. Except Tizen. If OMWW is to have a business they must succeed with Tizen and Samsung.

4) The smart thing would be for ACL to be included with webOS instead of a separate download. They could sell it separate but I believe it would be much wiser for Open Mobile to have LG pay a small licensing fee to have it included in all their products at the time of production/purchase.
    The smart thing would be for LG to forge their own way and keep as much of the fate of webOS under their control as they can. Indications are that is exactly what they are doing. There is an App store built in to the TV already.

5) I am looking at current webOS users as a test bed and NOT the end-all be-all of ACL. We are just guniea pigs. If ACL can be implemented with us then it's just a short hop over to the LG webOS products.
    Guinea pigs? Maybe. A sideshow distracting OMWW from sweating over Tizen? Definitely. A quick money grab? You be the judge... I'll agree that OpenMobileWorldWide is not focused on TouchPad users. Their actions and attitudes have made that abundantly clear.

6) Regardless of what LG is NOT saying, I truly believe, by what I am seeing up to now, that LG has already decided to go full throttle with webOS and that phones and tablets are already in the pipeline. LG is simply more conservative in announcing hardware before Prime Time which is wise. The less anticipation there is the more *wow* the products will have when they are suddenly released upon the public.
    I'll agree that LG isn't saying a lot about their R&D. That's wise given how many competitive market segments they are in. I'll disagree with you about phones/tablets being next. Look for a refrigerator first, or an oven, or a washer/dryer combo - likely all of those will come before a phone or tablet.

If we are lucky, we might see a leaked port of webOS to the end-of-shelf-life Nexus 4 as a way of gauging developer and community support. That may include some form of home written solution, combined with GAPPS, but I doubt even that. Some fork based on open source code - not 3rd party proprietary code. Definitely not ACL. Again, LG is pushing HTML5 and Enyo2. Particularly Enyo2 for its abilities to scale easily between screen sizes. Give LG time to build an ecosystem for webOS before you push them into the same old path others are stumbling down. If LG wants to build a proprietary system, ACL can never play a part in that vision. Dependence on Google Play is the route Samsung is taking with Tizen. I believe LG truly wants to go their own route with webOS from top to bottom.

7) Will current webOS users benefit from all of this? Kind of. Once ACL has been tested and improved with us, I believe we will be abandoned. But we will at least have the benefit of getting updated for a brief time. I'll be happy with that.
    Are you sure you haven't been abandoned already? I think OMWW has been busy working on ACL for Tizen. They will get around to straightening out the mess they made with cuspie's code eventually (in their own sweet time) and then will dump whatever they have on the servers for download and that will be it. No updates, no bug fixes, little to no support. They'll simply keep on doing whatever it is that they have been doing since 2010. Talking a lot of smack the whole time.

Again, these are simply educated guesses based on what I have seen LG accomplish with webOS up to this point.

To close:
    Open Mobile/Phoenix really have little choice but to get ACL out to us as soon as possible, They have way too much riding on it at the rate LG is moving along with webOS. They have to be suicidal if they don't take advantage of this NOW because if they don't, someone else sure as heck will.

-Koa-
    Again: I fail to see where the connection between LG and OMWW lies. Can you cite anything concrete in favor of such a thing?
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 01/11/2014 at 01:43 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    with LG pushing ENYO so hard, likely they probably dont even want android compatability, they have native netflix and other "must have" apps on their newer webOS already.

also looking at >> Enyo JavaScript Application Framework << you can see the supported list of platforms enyo supports, it was said in 1 of the videos/threads that their making apps for other devices to help control or interact with their TV's.

Once they have ENYO gaining some dev traction the need for android compatability drops, esp when it becomes known your bought enyo apps will work on pretty much any device you have, be it desktop pc, android, ios, or webOS, that i believe is where LG can gain a good reputation.

A "Buy our apps and use on anything" approach would make better sense and would appease customers of any platform, their TV's being their focus while still appealing to customers who own a plethora of other devices regardless of OS.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Having an open framework for apps(such as Enyo) to be written that are cross platform will be the next step for consumer. It will not be as profitable as the close environment such as the Apple App store or Google play, but allowing writers direct payment for their software may make the difference.

A consumer may be more inclined to buy this way knowing they have portability from one os to another. Arguments against this say there is no it enough room to make money, but just look at the internet how open that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stewart6 View Post
    Working for me....
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    What about this:

OpenMobile | Enabling Android Apps on non-Android Platforms

I can see the page source, but nothing actually dispays. Is it just me?

I get something displayed on the phone, but nothing useful.