Page 98 of 105 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I think OM needs to tell their sole user base why this critical to using Google Play Store paid apps functionality was removed.

If the reason is as you suspect it is, then this would be the final nail in the coffin for ACL and OM.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its almost like their trying their best to get ppl to scream and shout at them.

Click to view quoted image
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    OpenMobile's promotional material is so blatantly dishonest, it's laughable. My favorite quote is:

The fact that ACL is based upon Android 2.3 (vs. Android 4.x) means that it won't run "every single Android app". Also the fact that several hardware features (camera, bluetooth, etc.) are not supported (per their 1.0.1 release notes) means that "every single Android app" is not supported.

But even if "every single Android app" could run via ACL, they still have declared in this forum (and in their official FAQ) that their AppMall app store is the only one officially supported. And we all know that "every single Android app" isn't available in their app store. So the fact that they keep publicly bragging that you can run "every single Android app" is a sham.

OpenMobile is a dishonest, slimy company.
    Well, as much as I do not agree with what I perceive as OM's strategy and approach to "guide" persons to their App Mall by disabling (or at least making it very difficult) for users of ACL to load and purchase apps from the Play Store, I believe it is their prerogative to do so:

1. Their approach is consistent with the stated information on their Kickstarter Page. In fact, they even directed users to download the Amazon Appstore in order to gain access and to purchase apps not incuded in their App Mall. So I do not agree that their approach is dishonest, just ill-conceived, and

2. We all have a choice to purchase ACL and support OM (and PIC) or not.

I chose to back the OM/PIC team via Kickstarter and still choose to support their efforts at this time. I think ACL is a very good add-on to the TouchPad experience but I think it can be much better. Hence my previous "rant" where I attempted to make a case for my recommendation to do otherwise.

However, if ACL does not evolve beyond its current offering, I will not be inspired to support the project and its team any further...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    imurrx likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    If all else fails, you could try the approach that worked for me (Big thank you to Preware and AppTuckerbox). Install preware and apptuckerbox. Set up the use of the palm streams in preware, and search for the catalog there, and install it through preware (if needed, also install the app catalog update). This should bring the catalog back and allow everything to update...
    Will try this tonight. Thanks.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Has ANYBODY been successful in getting a refund from these crooks yet ?
    Please help! I had an working ACL, but today it stopped working. I mean the icons are in the software list, but when you click any android-related icon, nothing happens. I've tried to uninstall/reinstall ACL (with reboots after each step) but no effect. I've got the last version of it (1.0.1). Please help solving this problem!
    The installation was made using Preware. I've tried also to install it once using WOQI but it stucked :/
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steffensammet View Post
    How did you disable ACL ?
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Thanks Cuspie! Works really nice. Something that OM should have implemented rather than us having to create a workaround. Now I have TP running webOS at full speed and launch ACL with a few keystrokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigran_grigorian View Post
    Please help! I had an working ACL, but today it stopped working. I mean the icons are in the software list, but when you click any android-related icon, nothing happens. I've tried to uninstall/reinstall ACL (with reboots after each step) but no effect. I've got the last version of it (1.0.1). Please help solving this problem!
    The installation was made using Preware. I've tried also to install it once using WOQI but it stucked :/
    is that ALL apps?, i know amazon installed apps can refuse to run if the amazon app store vanishes for whatever reason.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    is that ALL apps?, i know amazon installed apps can refuse to run if the amazon app store vanishes for whatever reason.
    Yes, all Android apps including "Settings" icon etc... The whole ACL environment was working perfectly on my tablet, but few times ago I've noticed some bug with WebOS, it was indicating that the tablet is charging at the moment, when it was not connected to charger. The OS showed "charging" icon all the time, so I rebooted the tablet. I was using it for a few days, but once I launched any android/acl app on it, it didn't started. After few reboots I've tried to remove/reinstall ACL using Preware, but it didn't worked. I've also tried to install ACL using WebWOQI, but the installation also freezes on "Installing com.openmobileww.acl_1.0.1", tried to wait for 20-30 mins, but useless.

I've also noticed, that after first try the uninstallation using Preware also bugs, it says "file not found" and "unknown operand" errors and freezes the tablet (this all happens after hitting "remove" button on ACL package).
    I've tried to investigate a situation deeper and tried to start "sudo sh acl-service-start" using console, but this also returns a lot of errors. I think that some files are missing, but didn't found any instruction to remove ACL at all (for absolutely clean and fresh install). Hope anyone will be able to help me with that. The only thing is working is ACL app, which is required for entering serial number. It works OK and gives a message "Activation successful, please reboot device" after entering my license key. Anyway, after restart nothing changes and Android apps/settings do not run.

I've also posted few screenshots of running "sh start-acl-service" & start-acl commands in shell
    #1 #2
    They confirm that some files are missing even after reinstalling ACL. Hope it's possible to solve this without full device reset. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by tigran_grigorian; 01/05/2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roydk View Post
    Has ANYBODY been successful in getting a refund from these crooks yet ?
    I'll reprint my advice about refunds - get your bank involved and dispute the charge(s).

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Kickstarter backers have no recourse... it's a pay your money and take a chance that the project will bear fruit sort of proposition.

Preorders are another matter. Many of those folks have asked for a refund and been met with silence. At least, according to this thread, and I'd bet this is just the tip of the iceburg.

In the world of payments this comes down to a dispute. If you used your credit card or debit card as ultimate payment method your bank will ask two things of you. 1) Contact the merchant and give them a good faith opportunity to make this correct - if they do not answer, or will not accommodate you, then 2) the charge must have gone from pending to posted (to show the merchant is keeping your money without delivering the contracted for good/service).

If you (pre)ordered ACL and you meet these two requirements, then call your bank and dispute the charge(s). It's the most effective way to apply pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    ...However, if ACL does not evolve beyond its current offering, I will not be inspired to support the project and its team any further...
    I'm not sure what sustains your optimism this far along. I doubt that quality, improvement or commitment to customer satisfaction are even in the OM lexicon as anything other than marketing buzzwords.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  9. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    This is absolutely not a side issue: The interface code partially existed within 0.60 and would allow you to read and spoof the mac address within the android build (use any of the mac address spoof apps from the play store). If however you tried to connect to the internet using the Android WIfI manager, it would fail. The code did not get removed in 1.01 by itself. This was deliberate and definitely not a "side issue".

It makes complete sense and is actually essential to also include the Android WiFi manager:
    the "side issue" was ment ironically.

You are correct that OM have broken the code by removing the whole Wifi-stuff, but again, it does not make too much sense to be able to have options to discover Wifi-networks, select encryption etc. within ACL, because all this is managed by webOS.

Indeed it does make sense, that ACL gets the correct values from webOS, if necessary including wifi-status, ssid and other, so that the Android-apps can work correctly!
    eKeith likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    If all else fails, you could try the approach that worked for me (Big thank you to Preware and AppTuckerbox). Install preware and apptuckerbox. Set up the use of the palm streams in preware, and search for the catalog there, and install it through preware (if needed, also install the app catalog update). This should bring the catalog back and allow everything to update...
    The HP App Catalog still will not update apps, but I can install apps via preware and update them as well.

At least this is a work around.

Thanks.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by tigran_grigorian View Post
    Yes, all Android apps including "Settings" icon etc... The whole ACL environment was working perfectly on my tablet, but few times ago I've noticed some bug with WebOS, it was indicating that the tablet is charging at the moment, when it was not connected to charger. The OS showed "charging" icon all the time, so I rebooted the tablet. I was using it for a few days, but once I launched any android/acl app on it, it didn't started. After few reboots I've tried to remove/reinstall ACL using Preware, but it didn't worked. I've also tried to install ACL using WebWOQI, but the installation also freezes on "Installing com.openmobileww.acl_1.0.1", tried to wait for 20-30 mins, but useless.

I've also noticed, that after first try the uninstallation using Preware also bugs, it says "file not found" and "unknown operand" errors and freezes the tablet (this all happens after hitting "remove" button on ACL package).
    I've tried to investigate a situation deeper and tried to start "sudo sh acl-service-start" using console, but this also returns a lot of errors. I think that some files are missing, but didn't found any instruction to remove ACL at all (for absolutely clean and fresh install). Hope anyone will be able to help me with that. The only thing is working is ACL app, which is required for entering serial number. It works OK and gives a message "Activation successful, please reboot device" after entering my license key. Anyway, after restart nothing changes and Android apps/settings do not run.

I've also posted few screenshots of running "sh start-acl-service" & start-acl commands in shell
    #1 #2
    They confirm that some files are missing even after reinstalling ACL. Hope it's possible to solve this without full device reset. Thanks in advance!
    Please someone help me with a full (total) removal of ACL (to remove any trails) for further full installation. So sad about absence of Android apps since it stopped working Tried to do a lot of things, but they didn't helped.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    tigran, did you check out this thread?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...nt-launch.html
    This seems to have worked for a few users.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    tigran, did you check out this thread?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...nt-launch.html
    This seems to have worked for a few users.
    Thank you VERY-VERY MUCH, MIKE! I lost so much time in uninstalling/reinstalling this thing, and get nothing. But after trying these actions it worked. So many thanks for that tip and for the topic starter!
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I took the plunge and did a fresh install of android since ACL crashed my android install.

I have been using cyanogen mod for years now and I now tried the ASOP Evervolv 4.3.2 build. Is stable and fairly smooth. It's not the Touchpad and webOS, but if you want or need use android apps, this is definitely much better and ACL (which wrecked my touchpad and got my Google account compromised). just having chrome is a huge plus.

My hope of ACL was to have a decent up to date browser and Netflix, but for now back to Android.

Only if a new up to date browser on the Touchpad would bring me back.

Let's go Lg, don't be like HP.

Sent from my XT1056 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Soooooo, is anything happening with this mess ? Any progress with anything related with finishing this software beyond the recent pulled , buggy junk that's sort of available for "try at your own risk ".Has anyone herd from that dead bird company ? Is someone suing someone or what ? Did these guys write the software for the recent " Obamacare ? That would explain a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by roydk View Post
    Soooooo, is anything happening with this mess ? Any progress with anything related with finishing this software beyond the recent pulled , buggy junk that's sort of available for "try at your own risk ".Has anyone herd from that dead bird company ? Is someone suing someone or what ? Did these guys write the software for the recent " Obamacare ? That would explain a lot.
    I would imagine "something" is happening.
    If any progress has been made, we haven't been notified of it.
    If anyone from these forums has heard from either Open Mobile or Phoenix, I assume we would have heard about it. Have you read the last few pages of the thread to see?
    What....... the answer I always give when I get a question about "something or what."
    I'm pretty sure these guys didn't write the software for Obamacare, but I could be wrong. I try not to follow American politics too closely....certainly not something as mundane (for me) as health care.

I gave up on these guys a long time ago and let it go. Not worth my time and effort to get mad about it anymore. The more issues I had with webOS, the easier it was for me to switch over to a permanent solution, and since recently getting a laptop, I barely use my tablet anymore.

edit recent tweet from Open Mobile:

OpenMobile ‏@openmobileww 6m
    A mobile world. An apps world! Ensure that consumers on non-Android platforms have access to your Android app! #CES2014 #booth35680
    Last edited by sledge007; 01/07/2014 at 06:03 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    So they could have had the chance to show a viable userbase at CES, but missed that chance too.

On the other side Alien Dalvik shows off with Jolla/Sailfish on a new product sold to real users.
    Yeah, booth35680 if anyone out there reading this wants to stroll over and ask some pertinent questions...

They are apparently showing it on a Tizen phone now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Just out of curiosity, does a CES booth happen to cost $45,533...?

It's probably best that they're out promoting, but it's infuriating they didn't deliver the product first.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does a CES booth happen to cost $45,533...?

It's probably best that they're out promoting, but it's infuriating they didn't deliver the product first.
    Having been a part of these types of venues before. There usually are 2 or 3 types of booths. The top ones (which are usually centerpieces or large in space) can exceed 40k easily. But, they usually offer things like speaking slots and tons of content that can be displayed by that company (meter boards, freebies with their logos, etc). So, as you said -- it is good that they are promoting -- especially if the timing is for a release sometime later on this year.