Page 97 of 105 FirstFirst ... 47879293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I am giving up on ACL.

First, the apps installed would only work part of the time (the ones from the Amazon App Store).

Second, I did not use it for a while and then I tried installing a couple of apps from Open Mobile one day and had several attempts of my Google account hacked.

Third thing was the poor performance of the apps, The only decent one was Netflix. The browsers were just sluggish.

Fourth issue was it was interfering with my android build on my touchpad. The weird thing was when i tried to flash a new build, the ACL webos partition was being seen my CWM and did not see the android part. It could have been because of the new data meta build.

Fifth, I thought redoctoring would fix the tablet, I could not update or download anymore webOS apps. Still have not figured it out. Preware works but not the HP app store. So all the webOS apps are just failing to update.

Sixth, ACL now has been pulled and the reasons behind it really show it to be amateur hour here. From the GPU lic, to code ripping, breaking it, and the time of the pull really shows that there was not a lot of forethought thinking and planning.

So, I am going 100% android for now. Until there is a serious webOS build by LG in the future, I will use my androidified Touchpad running 4.2.2 and probably get the next Motorola tablet based off the Moto X this coming year.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    k4ever, at least all the apps i have for android tablet still really suck compared to their (android) phone or iPad versions. :-S my android is still an old beta of cm10, though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll use ACL for a few things, I'm sure. but, for the most part, I think I'm over tablets.
    That's unfortunate for you. What apps are you using BTW? The apps that I use the most are Tapatalk, Spotify, Appy Geek, PowerAmp, Zinio, Kindle, and a Web browser (currently bouncing in between Boat Browser Tablet and default Android browser). PowerAmp is the only one that doesn't take full advantage of the extra screen real estate even though I would like to see a better interface for Zinio. CM 10 and also look pretty good tablet wise.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/01/2014 at 10:48 PM.
    I feel like the only person that's relatively satisfied with ACL. 1.0.1 solved MOST of the problems (not quite all) of 060. Maybe my expectations were low, but for $30 it's fine. I can run some crappy android app without the crappy android interface when I HAVE to without too much worry. That's what I expected and what I wanted. If you wanted your tablet to be 100% modern android tablet, then yeah CM is probably for you (or perhaps and android tablet they aren't very expensive these days). In any event, I hope we get this license thing behind us now that the holidays are also behind us and we can all enjoy 1.0.1 quickly.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Hmmm... I suppose that's "smart business" practice and lack of a licensing agreement with Google might be a root cause, but it's not very consumer friendly and flies in the face of OM claims of just how many zillions of apps you can access via ACL.
    I do not believe there is any licensing issue: Many moons ago Google instructed Android ROM developers to not automatically bake GApps (i.e. Google Apps) within their ROMs but to redirect users to flash (via recovery) the GApps package as a separate install and to update Apps via the Google Play Store. In this regard, ACL essentially functions as a custom Android ROM and OM should have no issue if they let users install the GApps package independently. However, they seem to have decided to "force" users to their sown store by crippling this ability...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    I don't think that they even though about this "side issue", because actually they are absolutely correct about removing all mobile- and wifi-connection settings within ACL.

It just makes no sense to have them in ACL, because webOS has to manage them completely and ACL only receives a network-connection over "something". Anyway I expect, that ACL should see a valid network interface at this point and for me, that does include beside speed or link status also the MAC address.
    This is absolutely not a side issue: The interface code partially existed within 0.60 and would allow you to read and spoof the mac address within the android build (use any of the mac address spoof apps from the play store). If however you tried to connect to the internet using the Android WIfI manager, it would fail. The code did not get removed in 1.01 by itself. This was deliberate and definitely not a "side issue".

It makes complete sense and is actually essential to also include the Android WiFi manager:

Many Android apps correctly check the state of the WiFi connection from the Android WiFi manager: For example, for data intensive operations this guards users from amazing high mobile data charges etc. to ensure the app operates only when on WifI. By removing this code, many such apps will not function. You cannot expect the android app developer to arbitrarily develop code for WiFi usage in an arbitrary situation without the Android WiFi interface. It would be like asking every developer to develop an independent custom Blob or code for each piece of hardware thereby unnecessarily duplicating code. That is the purpose of manufacturer hardware-specific blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    I installed 2 network-tools from Android, the "GTech Net Tools" are showing me "Type: wifi" and my internal "IP Adresse: 192.168.1.123", but no further network-settings like subnet, gateway or dns, no "MAC Address" and no "SSID".

The "Fing Network Tools" are working too, they can scan my network including additional infos, but for "My Phone" they do not show any MAC-address too.

So it seems, that OM has to add this, on a Android tablet, I get all of these informations, so I would expect to get them here too!
    As mentioned before, I had investigated this issue with the 060 ACL build. With that build one could read the mac address etc. The fact that with the 1.01 build we can no longer get this info means that this it was deliberately removed. Do not expect "OM to add this" without a change in their current strategy.

I am sure the android WiFi code was removed to prevent passing the mac address to the Google Store Billing Service thereby crippling the ability to purchase apps from the Play Store. This would support OM's apparent strategy to direct people to their own store.

However, in my opinion this strategy is ill-conceived and will result in the failure of ACL to gain any critical mass of sales. If however, they change this strategy and re-enable this capability, I believe ACL would be significantly more attractive. The fringe TouchPad user (not those still living here with us on WebOSNation but our spouses and less tech-savvy friends) would be more interested in purchasing and many of us would probably purchase additional licenses for them. This alone would breathe some additional life back into the usage of our Touchpads and their native webOS. However, with half-baked Android support, it becomes more attractive to simply flash the latest very good-working CM buld as a dual-boot. Then ACL would simply fade away into irrelevance...

Furthermore, given that OM's only market for ACL is "us" users, and that the only applicable working device at this time is the HP Touchpad with an already expiring life-cycle (due to the dying batteries), I suggest that OM push the sales of ACL as a priority above the sale of apps from their store. Then work on porting ACL to the Pre3 and Open webOS builds for the Galaxy Nexus and future devices. This would breathe life into webOS usage (without which there would be no interest or relevance in ACL) as well as encourage us users to support them as stronghold developers (albeit indirectly) within the webOS space.

App sales from their OM app store will definitely realize as spin-offs firstly and later as habit. They need to realize that without ACL sales there would simply be no OM App store. Create your market first fellas... sell ACL first; Make it unrestricted and simply irresistible. There is still some time but not much: read this forum, you are losing support (and your market) with every day that passes...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    I am giving up on ACL.

First, the apps installed would only work part of the time (the ones from the Amazon App Store).

Second, I did not use it for a while and then I tried installing a couple of apps from Open Mobile one day and had several attempts of my Google account hacked.

Third thing was the poor performance of the apps, The only decent one was Netflix. The browsers were just sluggish.

Fourth issue was it was interfering with my android build on my touchpad. The weird thing was when i tried to flash a new build, the ACL webos partition was being seen my CWM and did not see the android part. It could have been because of the new data meta build.

Fifth, I thought redoctoring would fix the tablet, I could not update or download anymore webOS apps. Still have not figured it out. Preware works but not the HP app store. So all the webOS apps are just failing to update.

Sixth, ACL now has been pulled and the reasons behind it really show it to be amateur hour here. From the GPU lic, to code ripping, breaking it, and the time of the pull really shows that there was not a lot of forethought thinking and planning.

So, I am going 100% android for now. Until there is a serious webOS build by LG in the future, I will use my androidified Touchpad running 4.2.2 and probably get the next Motorola tablet based off the Moto X this coming year.
    Thanks for the heads up review, makes my loss of never getting this a little less painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post

As mentioned before, I had investigated this issue with the 060 ACL build. With that build one could read the mac address etc. The fact that with the 1.01 build we can no longer get this info means that this it was deliberately removed. Do not expect "OM to add this" without a change in their current strategy.

I am sure the android WiFi code was removed to prevent passing the mac address to the Google Store Billing Service thereby crippling the ability to purchase apps from the Play Store. This would support OM's apparent strategy to direct people to their own store.
    I think OM needs to tell their sole user base why this critical to using Google Play Store paid apps functionality was removed.

If the reason is as you suspect it is, then this would be the final nail in the coffin for ACL and OM.

-- Rod
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/02/2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    PalmLives, cuspie and geekpeter like this.
    I am giving up on ACL.

After a number of times using WEBOS Doctor to restore my HP Touchpad after removing and installing ACL.
    You will find the HP App Catalog grayed out and several other apps with yellow exclamation marks and small grayed out circles. At this point the WEBOS HP APP Catalog is petty worthless. You cannot update the HP App Catalog certificate, because it will fail. The solution to this problem, CREATE A NEW EMAIL ACCOUNT with YAHOO, GMAIL, etc and then use WEBOS Doctor. Use this new email account to register your HP Touchpad. Now you should see all the standard APPs, and be able to update the HP APP Catalog certificate. Again be sure to use the NEW EMAIL ACCOUNT to register your HP Touchpad. Something is retained in your old email account with HP and it is not being cleared, even if you delete your profile for this HP Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aleevh View Post
    After a number of times using WEBOS Doctor to restore my HP Touchpad after removing and installing ACL.
    You will find the HP App Catalog grayed out and several other apps with yellow exclamation marks and small grayed out circles. At this point the WEBOS HP APP Catalog is petty worthless. You cannot update the HP App Catalog certificate, because it will fail. The solution to this problem, CREATE A NEW EMAIL ACCOUNT with YAHOO, GMAIL, etc and then use WEBOS Doctor. Use this new email account to register your HP Touchpad. Now you should see all the standard APPs, and be able to update the HP APP Catalog certificate. Again be sure to use the NEW EMAIL ACCOUNT to register your HP Touchpad. Something is retained in your old email account with HP and it is not being cleared, even if you delete your profile for this HP Touchpad.
    First: this is not necessary (create a new account and new email adress), it is enough after doctoring the touchpad and your login in your profile, and that you change the time before the 21.July 2013
    Second: Your remark is a little bit off-topic (as mine too )

As long, as no new release of ACL for webOS arrives, it obsolete for me, to use it.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/03/2014 at 02:48 PM.
    The yellow exclamation mark triangles indicate the latest HP APP catalogue update has yet to occur. Change the date to pre July 2013, restart, install APP catalogue update then change date and restart normally.
    It seems that the HP App Catalog doesn't work at all right now. Checked on the Veer and the Touchpad, both give the yellow exclamation mark triangle.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    *** off topic ***

Thanks for the suggestions about how to fix the webOS apps store by changing the date to pre 07/2013, reboot, but I still cannot update the app store or any of the apps still will not update.

The only thing that the touchpad can do is browser. The PDF function is dead. So freak'n frustrating.

Oh well. I guess I will coin the word "triangulated" as in my Touchpad has been triangulated to death.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    ananimus likes this.
    *** off topic ***

Thanks for the suggestions about how to fix the webOS apps store by changing the date to pre 07/2013, reboot, but I still cannot update the app store or any of the apps still will not update.

The only thing that the touchpad can do is browser. The PDF function is dead. So freak'n frustrating.

Oh well. I guess I will coin the word "triangulated" as in my Touchpad has been triangulated to death.
    If all else fails, you could try the approach that worked for me (Big thank you to Preware and AppTuckerbox). Install preware and apptuckerbox. Set up the use of the palm streams in preware, and search for the catalog there, and install it through preware (if needed, also install the app catalog update). This should bring the catalog back and allow everything to update...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I think OM needs to tell their sole user base why this critical to using Google Play Store paid apps functionality was removed.

If the reason is as you suspect it is, then this would be the final nail in the coffin for ACL and OM.

-- Rod
    its almost like their trying their best to get ppl to scream and shout at them.

Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow and cuspie like this.
    btw is chompers android 3.x work still floating around the internet for clever ppl to try and mess with, or has his code vanished except for his original unstable but still working release.
    “OpenMobile’s ACL to bring 250 000 apps to MeeGo”? And Symbian? And Windows? (Updated with Demo Video) : My Nokia Blog

^ old review from sep 2011, check that awesome list of features like full gfx acceleration etc, ACL has come a long way....

btw the quoted operating systems ofc still dont have a release.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    “OpenMobile’s ACL to bring 250 000 apps to MeeGo”? And Symbian? And Windows? (Updated with Demo Video) : My Nokia Blog

^ old review from sep 2011, check that awesome list of features like full gfx acceleration etc, ACL has come a long way....

btw the quoted operating systems ofc still dont have a release.
    OpenMobile's promotional material is so blatantly dishonest, it's laughable. My favorite quote is:

ACL for MeeGo runs every single Android App – no exceptions
    The fact that ACL is based upon Android 2.3 (vs. Android 4.x) means that it won't run "every single Android app". Also the fact that several hardware features (camera, bluetooth, etc.) are not supported (per their 1.0.1 release notes) means that "every single Android app" is not supported.

But even if "every single Android app" could run via ACL, they still have declared in this forum (and in their official FAQ) that their AppMall app store is the only one officially supported. And we all know that "every single Android app" isn't available in their app store. So the fact that they keep publicly bragging that you can run "every single Android app" is a sham.

OpenMobile is a dishonest, slimy company.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    OpenMobile is a dishonest, slimy company.
    Ouch. :-) bit it looks like it's the truth.
    Sad for PIC and their initiative. Sad for us supporter.

Btw: where are you people from OM? Anita or how you name yourself? Any direct statement? No? What a shame.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    Ouch. :-) bit it looks like it's the truth.
    Sad for PIC and their initiative. Sad for us supporter.

Btw: where are you people from OM? Anita or how you name yourself? Any direct statement? No? What a shame.
    Not a peep from @openmobileww on Twitter since American Thanksgiving......I was surprised they weren't beating their drums for CES2014 like they have the previous 2 years.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    geekpeter and jkromero like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Not a peep from @openmobileww on Twitter since American Thanksgiving......I was surprised they weren't beating their drums for CES2014 like they have the previous 2 years.
    there was a thread that very nearly picked up traction on crackberry regarding acl, i was glad that thread died, been dreading for a while if other communities also tried a kickstarter type project when they saw ours "succeeded".

Openmobile ACL may be the last resort for playbook - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com