Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 458590919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    But the grim reality is that we are not that big a market for PIC/OM - they are not going to get rich off of this community.
    to be fair, we are their only market, they havent made cash off anything on any platform except ours, i'd imagine thats quite embarassing for them as well, their only customers being from a defunct platform from several years ago.

its not like they have a bigger market elsewhere, it's either us currently or no-one for them.

EDIT: if you goto the next CES and find them, try not to kill anyone.................in public.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    to be fair, we are their only market,
    Yes, and should CES opening come without news from them, I think we should make a bit of noise, ie by twitting and informing important press companies.

Until now we've been kind and silent. We can continue , but just until then...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    to be fair, we are their only market, they havent made cash off anything on any platform except ours, i'd imagine thats quite embarassing for them as well, their only customers being from a defunct platform from several years ago.

its not like they have a bigger market elsewhere, it's either us currently or no-one for them.
    Sadly, I'm having a problem believing that.

If we were their only customer, then why would they ship a product that is so significantly regressed from the Beta.

If we were their only customer, then wouldn't it make sense for them to embrace the community, embrace the open source nature of webOS and properly build upon the GPL Beta Installer?

If we were their only customer, then why would one shoot their only customer in the foot? Why would anyone treat their largest single investor so poorly?

No - I suspect we will all find out soon enough that they have another customer in the wings. Who it is - who knows? I'd like to be wrong, but I suspect that CES will provide some clarity.

EDIT: if you goto the next CES and find them, try not to kill anyone.................in public.
    Nonesense ... how could you say that? If I wasn't laughing so hard, I'd be offended!
    Last edited by cuspie; 12/22/2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Get rid of the extra "the" - who ever heard of "the webOS"?
    i think were just a convenient sideshow, their older youtube clips and older threads on their activity kinda always hinted that their only really interested in landing a deal with an OEM, i think we only got what we have because of PIC taking things further than OM were willing to do.

Out of interest when you do goto CES, try and check what device their demonstrating with, their older youtube vids always seemed to have different hardware/os, if they demonstrate with say meego/the multitude of other supported platforms they have demo'd with it would be interesting to see if the demo'd version on the other platform looks like its superior in any way to what we have.
    i think were just a convenient sideshow, their older youtube clips and older threads on their activity kinda always hinted that their only really interested in landing a deal with an OEM, i think we only got what we have because of PIC taking things further than OM were willing to do.
    Which came first - the Apothekalypse, or OM ceasing to develop ACL for webOS?
    Was OM's 'launchpad' thus removed unceremoniously from beneath them?
    Where better place to 're-start' than a half-baked project still sitting on the back-burner...

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Which came first - the Apothekalypse, or OM ceasing to develop ACL for webOS?
    Was OM's 'launchpad' thus removed unceremoniously from beneath them?
    Where better place to 're-start' than a half-baked project still sitting on the back-burner...

that could easily apply to meego/tizen and other platforms they target, also at the time before and after the apothaklypse, a lot were excited to hear of ACL as it would have given a much needed crutch as we lacked many apps at launch and esp after the bad news.

this was also fueled by chompers first Chroid build, which wasnt commercial and at least had demo's and a public release to work on, it wasnt without issues but at least that 1 man had somethign that worked actually physically released, his work only further increased the expectations of OM's ACL.

^ old vid of chompers android 3.1.4 work, theres a few kicking around.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Have any of you been able to side load the play store or amazon market? Since PIC has revised their website I cant find any info on how to do it. I did see several posts in this thread from Sept on doing it but that seems to be above the average user level. Is there a easier method?

The Open Mobile store seems lacking in free apps.
    Thanks
    As far as I remember, the easiest way with the beta was to go to amazon.com and download the store apk.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Tried the direct download, didnt work for me, wouldnt install. Saw the instructions in the post numbers around 1200 about mounting and un mounting, but thought there had to be an easier way.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Not sure what you did (or didn't do) but Amazon App Store installed just fine on mine. Android Market was no problem either, following John's superb instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrv331 View Post
    Tried the direct download, didnt work for me, wouldnt install. Saw the instructions in the post numbers around 1200 about mounting and un mounting, but thought there had to be an easier way.
    The way I have always installed the Amazon AppStore APK is:

1.) Open ACL Browser and goto: Install Amazon Appstore
    2.) Click on "Download the Amazon Appstore"
    3.) Go into Downloads App - You will see that the Appstore is either still downloading, or is completed downloaded
    4.) Click on the Amazon Appstore to install it
    5.) If you forgot to change your Settings to allow Installing Apps from Unknown Sources, Download will ask you to do this ... complete the setting and jump back to Step 3.
    6.) When Downloads asks if you want to Open Amazon Appstore ... do it, login, and enjoy!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Got the amazon store installed. I was using the webOS browser instead of the android browser and that was the problem. I read Johns post several pages back reference the play store, but that's above me.
    thanks
    So no ACL under the Christmas tree. I bought a Nexus 10 this week, I didn't want te wait any longer. Removed the pre release from my Touchpad. Have a 100% working WebOS again! Don't think I will install ACL again, if it ever will be released. Happy Christmas everyone! (except OM).
  14. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gespy View Post
    So no ACL under the Christmas tree.
    probably not for all.

I bought a Nexus 10 this week, I didn't want te wait any longer.
    I have a Nexus 7 for some time now, actually for one single program I hoped to use with ACL.

But it didn't worked 100% with ACL (what is needed in this case), so I use the GN7 for this app exclusive. But I also can say, that the GN7 (or any Android tablet) is no successor for my Go, Android just sucks.

Removed the pre release from my Touchpad. Have a 100% working WebOS again!
    Unfortunately the GA 1.0.1 does not behave much different than the alpha.

While all webOS-apps, audio and USB now are working fine now, webOS itself is still somehow "laggy" after installing ACL, scrolling/zooming in Firefox or Foxit is still not as it should be and ACL messed up my workspace once and moved (mostly) all apps to the "Download"-tab :-(
    Hummm... while the PIC/OM cannot decides if I can buy or not, there is somebody that can say if Logmein (in Android, use the name "Ignition"), or Teamviewer works ok with ACL?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by gespy View Post
    So no ACL under the Christmas tree. I bought a Nexus 10 this week, I didn't want te wait any longer. Removed the pre release from my Touchpad. Have a 100% working WebOS again! Don't think I will install ACL again, if it ever will be released. Happy Christmas everyone! (except OM).
    Here Here ! I second the motion.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I for one am really impressed with 1.0.1. They fixed the bugs that really killed the experience of 060... The sound works properly, it hasnt lugged my touchpad on webos like it did before, hasnt yet forced me to reboot like it used to and hasnt crashed the entire touchpad like 060 used to quite often. It works surprisingly well, and I'm sure the installer issues will be worked out soon.. I think even the loudest complainers will be satisfied soon (of course some peole are never satisfied).
    First off, belated Christmas greetings to you all and best wishes for 2014!

I had 0.6.0-5 running pretty well and even experimented/tweaked with it a bit as it was a pre-release (and I have some experience with Android). Modifying your official version may void your license agreement so that would be your own choice. Any remarks on possible modification are theoretical and based on my previous experimentation.

2 weeks ago in anticipation of the official release I decided to doctor my TP so that I can get a true raw experience of ACL without any hidden leftovers. Yesterday I finally installed 1.0.1 and here are my initial comments:

- I installed using WOSQI without issue . I found it curious that the official email instructed the use of Preware. BTW, I find it curious that OM did not supply their own installer but that their product requires the use of other third-party facilities.

- ACL seems more stable with a natural on-board experience (think if someone who has no clue about ACL would discern the ACL intrusion in webOS). There still exists the duplication of cards when installing apps etc. but this is more cosmetic than functional.

- Apps seem to launch with less delay (although this could be due to my newly doctored device)

- The OM AppMall is very well integrated as the default installer and OM have done a good job of re-directing the user to it (and although I understand this strategy to monetize app sales, I think this is the wrong business strategy for ACL and their niche clientele)

- OM have completely removed the WiFi user interface but successfully uses the webOS-managed connection transparently. Unfortunately I believe there is a deeper reason for this (subject to correction): If memory serves, Google's Play Store Billing Service requires not only your account info but also your device's Mac address or IMEI as a unique identifier in order to process payments. I believe OM's modification successfully defeats our ability to purchase PAID apps from Google's Play Store, or have already-purchased apps successfully authenticated (for most PAID apps). FREE (Android 2.3.6-compatible) apps should install just fine (after you side-load the store). I also believe this apparent OM strategy (to kill the Play Store) would be the single reason working against the sales of ACL, especially amongst our community which donates as much as we purchase.

- One should be able to successfully root this build with the instructions stated earlier in the thread by John (thank you). With my pre-release experimentation I also successfully installed the Gingerbread-compatible Xposed framework and MasterSecurity Bug fixes.

- more later...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    ...- OM have completely removed the WiFi user interface but successfully uses the webOS-managed connection transparently. Unfortunately I believe there is a deeper reason for this (subject to correction): If memory serves, Google's Play Store Billing Service requires not only your account info but also your device's Mac address or IMEI as a unique identifier in order to process payments. I believe OM's modification successfully defeats our ability to purchase PAID apps from Google's Play Store, or have already-purchased apps successfully authenticated (for most PAID apps). FREE (Android 2.3.6-compatible) apps should install just fine (after you side-load the store). I also believe this apparent OM strategy (to kill the Play Store) would be the single reason working against the sales of ACL, especially amongst our community which donates as much as we purchase...
    Hmmm... I suppose that's "smart business" practice and lack of a licensing agreement with Google might be a root cause, but it's not very consumer friendly and flies in the face of OM claims of just how many zillions of apps you can access via ACL.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  19. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Hmmm... I suppose that's "smart business" practice and lack of a licensing agreement with Google might be a root cause, but it's not very consumer friendly and flies in the face of OM claims of just how many zillions of apps you can access via ACL.
    I don't think that they even though about this "side issue", because actually they are absolutely correct about removing all mobile- and wifi-connection settings within ACL.

It just makes no sense to have them in ACL, because webOS has to manage them completely and ACL only receives a network-connection over "something". Anyway I expect, that ACL should see a valid network interface at this point and for me, that does include beside speed or link status also the MAC address.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Has PIC/OM been made aware that ACL will not appear in Preware because of their actions with cuspie? Just wondering how long it will take before they modify their install instruction page.