Page 94 of 105 FirstFirst ... 44 848990919293949596979899 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Remembers me somethig, mmm... Ah ! Yes !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Rubinstein
    Talk about a waste
    TopTongueBarry likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakrahn View Post
    I heard about this project after the Kickstarter was over and was excited about it. Disappointed I'd missed out on the Kickstarter. Went out and bought a 4G Touchpad (I already owned a non-4G model) as a result of my excitement; opted to do that, rather than buy a new iPad or Android tablet.

Later I was dismayed when I saw things were going to be a little delayed, but I spent $30 on a license anyway in hopes I'd get to use it sometime this fall. Surely by Thanksgiving . . . or, um, Christmas I'd be able to update my Dad's Touchpad (a Christmas gift I gave to him a year or two ago) so he could run Android apps.

I downloaded the installation instruction app. I searched for "ACL" in Preware and wherever else they said you could find it.

I kept searching my email box for news. I found my way here every so often to try and catch up on what was going on.

Then, FINALLY my license code showed up in my email box. I grabbed my Touchpad and searched Preware for ACL and looked for it, but couldn't find it. (Yes, I kept trying to follow the instructions from the ACL installations instruction app, to no avail.) Looked at the email again and realized there was a download link (it wasn't terribly well worded IIRC) and then I tried to download it . . . only to get the dropbox error message. ARGH. Maddening.

I headed here to find out what was going on with the download and if the software was available elsewhere . . . and then I saw cuspie's message and have been tracking things with dismay every since. Argh. I figured they'd made a poor choice with how the software was made available and I'd find people griping about that and maybe an alternate link. Or an ETA for when ACL would be available where the ACL Installation Instructions app said it would be.

The news was worse than I'd imagined-- and yeah, like many of you, I'd begun to doubt this project would ever be ready.

Sure, for some people "it's only $20" but for quite a few people it's more or even a lot more. And it's too late to get refunds via Paypal if you purchased it some time back. Some have spent hours online trying to find out what's going on. In my case, I spent $200 on another Touchpad. A year ago, it would've been hard for me to swing "just $20" for ACL, but I might've felt it worth it and skipped some meals or sold some CDs or whatever to make it happen. Everyone's situation and priorities are different.

But the customer service on this seems to have been truly atrocious and that's true for all of us, no matter our situation. I'm sure plenty of people may not know to check this forum and so this all has got to appear even stranger to them.

I'd love to see regular clear honest updates sent to people who purchased licenses with estimates on product delivery that were accurate or as close as one can get. I'm also a bit cranky to see that $10 discount out there after I spent $30, but then I think it'd be a good deal for my Dad's Touchpad but . . . I don't even know if that's true or not. Buy him a license for Christmas? I'm not comfortable with that now, even at a discount. I'm wary.

Anyway. Sorry to ramble out of the blue like this, but I can't be the only person lurking here or who only just found this forum when they were trying to find answers as to what is going on. Not enough info on the PIC website, that's for sure. (I know, because I kept visiting Blog | PIC - Phoenix International Communications and the Kickstarter page looking for info.)
    for someone who didnt know of this site early on you still seem to have gravitated towards all the information you need in the end, i wonder tho how many who were in your position (arriving after kickstarter) are still left somewhat in the dark.

Beyond the kickstarter numbers we could all see, did anyone have a clue how many did pre-orders after kickstarter?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    So I managed to download the files before the links stopped working from the email (still have no license key even though I paid but that doesn't seem to impede much)

The software seems pretty rough and while it does work it is frustrating to use at times. I can't get market to start fir the life of me, it unexpectedly closes upon open every time. If market would work I think I'd be super happy. Amazon appstore works but the search can't find apps I can find on my kindle fire. Cards fly open and off the screen all the time.

I want this to work, as its gotten me to pick up my beloved touchpad more than i have in months, so I hope that PIC and OMWW can sort out all their issues. There is definitely promise in what I've seen.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    for someone who didnt know of this site early on you still seem to have gravitated towards all the information you need in the end, i wonder tho how many who were in your position (arriving after kickstarter) are still left somewhat in the dark.

Beyond the kickstarter numbers we could all see, did anyone have a clue how many did pre-orders after kickstarter?
    I purchased from the PIC site on 26th September for 29.99, believing the release was imminent from the PIC sales pitch.
    I'd almost given up on my Touchpad but the idea of the ACL package renewed my interest. I didn't know anything about the kickstarter before reading the info on the PIC site back in September.

My order email from PIC:

Phoenix International Communications Store
    Hi ...
    Thank you for shopping with Phoenix International Communications Store!
    Order details
    Order: ********* placed on 2013-09-26 12:22:06
    Payment: PayPal

Reference Product Unit price Quantity Total price
    ACL for webOS HP TouchPad $29.99 1 $29.99

I remember there was a message, on the PIC site, saying something about a delay and the importance of getting it right. So I waited... and waited... and waited... I remember thinking it sounded almost like a DIY project with perhaps a couple of people involved, so it seemed acceptable to expect some delay - perhaps six weeks or so.
    Unfortunately, PIC made minimum effort in keeping us up-to-date, there was just a basic message on the site that soon became old news.
    Everyone knows the events of the 19th... However, we've not all received an apology, as someone else recently posted...
    Here's my response from PIC ...
    Unfortunately we had to remove the link for download, as requested by our partner, OpenMobile. They are fixing it and it will be available soon!!!

So there we are. I knew nothing about kickstarter, I didn't back a promise, I purchased a product and here I am twelve weeks later still waiting and wondering if it will ever be available.
    By the way, I feel entirely justified to vent off about this. I'm not in the habit of throwing my money away and besides, I think I've been extremely patient waiting twelve long weeks. For me, what happened on the 19th was simply the last straw and it's made worse by the fact that some folk were lucky enough to download it.
    And all I get is - They are fixing it and it will be available soon!!!
    lakrahn likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanov View Post
    You had every bit of that coming to you. Did you not realize you were typing that into an internet forum and not just thinking it?

Further, I'm wondering if people perhaps might not be able to apply a little bit of perspective to this. This software costs, what, $19.99 with the discount they're currently offering, and it's to use on your pleasure device. Clearly by now you've seen that this company messes up, a lot, but has obviously written non-vaporware software. The odds are very low that you will not ultimately get what you paid for. So I think one has to ask themselves "do I want my money back now or not?" If so, do a chargeback or ask for a refund. If not, "enough." Some of us have been coming here to read about what has been going on and have to wade through 50 pages of whining "I paid, how come it's taking so lonnnnnnnnng?!" followed by 50 "me toos" in outraged tones that make it sound like the company ran over your first-born. First world problems much?
    Hay look, it doesn't bother me in the least what he said, I paid my token fee, almost got it, if the guy had waited a day to raise a stink, we at least would have something to try. Your all right, it wasn't fair to him, but it isn't fair to us either. And it seems that what they let loose on us isn't much good anyway , but I would like something to show for it. Shutting it down so fast just cut us all out of the choice of it altogether . My guess is that this crap is never going to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by roydk View Post
    Hay look, it doesn't bother me in the least what he said, I paid my token fee, almost got it, if the guy had waited a day to raise a stink, we at least would have something to try. Your all right, it wasn't fair to him, but it isn't fair to us either. And it seems that what they let loose on us isn't much good anyway , but I would like something to show for it. Shutting it down so fast just cut us all out of the choice of it altogether . My guess is that this crap is never going to work.
    Dude, cuspie's not to blame here, Open Mobile is, they didn't release a legal product. Who knows how much longer we all would have been waiting for any kind of release if it wasn't for cuspie's work.
    I have ACL and although it isn't perfect, it's leaps and bounds beyond the pre-release version, and I can see it will do exactly what I wanted, give me webOS with the missing apps from Android. It does work, and once they re-do the GPU bits, we'll all have it.
    Relax.
    Yahoo search for it like TTB suggested if you don't want to wait.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Dude, cuspie's not to blame here, Open Mobile is, they didn't release a legal product. Who knows how much longer we all would have been waiting for any kind of release if it wasn't for cuspie's work.
    I have ACL and although it isn't perfect, it's leaps and bounds beyond the pre-release version, and I can see it will do exactly what I wanted, give me webOS with the missing apps from Android. It does work, and once they re-do the GPU bits, we'll all have it.
    Relax.
    Yahoo search for it like TTB suggested if you don't want to wait.
    You missed my point. You have a copy, WE do not. Haves and have not's.
    Everything you need to know from what the file is called, to where to find it, to how to install it on your HP touchpad, is right HERE in this Thread, so it's not unfair to anyone.

However, I personally won't do anything with it until things are made right for Cuspie, cause that's how I roll...
    PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL

^ hes a huge reason the kickstarter got anywhere as well as contributing to the installer etc, id say hes well entitled to raise his concerns and so are we, its not like OM have slapped a cancelled sign on it.

weve been waiting since 2011 for their product, i can wait a while longer.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by lakrahn View Post
    I heard about this project after the Kickstarter was over and was excited about it. Disappointed I'd missed out on the Kickstarter. Went out and bought a 4G Touchpad (I already owned a non-4G model) as a result of my excitement; opted to do that, rather than buy a new iPad or Android tablet.

Later I was dismayed when I saw things were going to be a little delayed, but I spent $30 on a license anyway in hopes I'd get to use it sometime this fall. Surely by Thanksgiving . . . or, um, Christmas I'd be able to update my Dad's Touchpad (a Christmas gift I gave to him a year or two ago) so he could run Android apps.

I downloaded the installation instruction app. I searched for "ACL" in Preware and wherever else they said you could find it.

I kept searching my email box for news. I found my way here every so often to try and catch up on what was going on.

Then, FINALLY my license code showed up in my email box. I grabbed my Touchpad and searched Preware for ACL and looked for it, but couldn't find it. (Yes, I kept trying to follow the instructions from the ACL installations instruction app, to no avail.) Looked at the email again and realized there was a download link (it wasn't terribly well worded IIRC) and then I tried to download it . . . only to get the dropbox error message. ARGH. Maddening.

I headed here to find out what was going on with the download and if the software was available elsewhere . . . and then I saw cuspie's message and have been tracking things with dismay every since. Argh. I figured they'd made a poor choice with how the software was made available and I'd find people griping about that and maybe an alternate link. Or an ETA for when ACL would be available where the ACL Installation Instructions app said it would be.

The news was worse than I'd imagined-- and yeah, like many of you, I'd begun to doubt this project would ever be ready.

Sure, for some people "it's only $20" but for quite a few people it's more or even a lot more. And it's too late to get refunds via Paypal if you purchased it some time back. Some have spent hours online trying to find out what's going on. In my case, I spent $200 on another Touchpad. A year ago, it would've been hard for me to swing "just $20" for ACL, but I might've felt it worth it and skipped some meals or sold some CDs or whatever to make it happen. Everyone's situation and priorities are different.

But the customer service on this seems to have been truly atrocious and that's true for all of us, no matter our situation. I'm sure plenty of people may not know to check this forum and so this all has got to appear even stranger to them.

I'd love to see regular clear honest updates sent to people who purchased licenses with estimates on product delivery that were accurate or as close as one can get. I'm also a bit cranky to see that $10 discount out there after I spent $30, but then I think it'd be a good deal for my Dad's Touchpad but . . . I don't even know if that's true or not. Buy him a license for Christmas? I'm not comfortable with that now, even at a discount. I'm wary.

Anyway. Sorry to ramble out of the blue like this, but I can't be the only person lurking here or who only just found this forum when they were trying to find answers as to what is going on. Not enough info on the PIC website, that's for sure. (I know, because I kept visiting Blog | PIC - Phoenix International Communications and the Kickstarter page looking for info.)
    lakrahn,

Welcome to webOS Nation! On the bright side, while you're waiting ,you can catch up on the last 3 years of webOS news that you've missed out on! And lots of neat stuff.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    lc_lol likes this.
    Could anyone kindly provide some suggestions about what files left by 0.6.0 version should be removed before installing the 1.0.1? Based on what cuspie said, there are some files need to be modified or deleted before installing, but the installation script won't do that right. Although I use software manager to remove ACL 0.6 (remove all android apps before I did that), I can still see a lot of ACL folders and files when I open InternalZ pro (like /media/cryptofs/android-*.ext?). On PIC forum, I notice that many people do not do a complete removal or don't know how to remove a software.

I hope PIC or OM would include the beta removal guide into the document, and I think that would save both users and them certain time to deal with the errors caused by remaining files (or write a better installation script, but... maybe just tell me here and your team can go for Xmas vacation...).
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I can understand your frustration of the situation.
    On the other side you're blaming the wrong person.
    - He has not decided to do a copyright violation
    - he has not decided to withdraw the download.
    - he is only the whistleblower
    Thats all.
    BUT, i can understand you frustration. Try to manage it in another way.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    For those of you that downloaded the release, what size file was it?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrv331 View Post
    For those of you that downloaded the release, what size file was it?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    downloaded 1.0.1 from PIC dropbox in the first hours and hope my dl worked correctly. My md5sum is: 8b7022e3ea4d2338ff085972b7a6679c Size:44996250 bytes
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook real-time Facebook chat
    Archive Manager extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, )
    FTPit! full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    To the uninitiated layperson this has all the hallmarks of a classic scam.
    Think about it for a moment; product purchased on website undelivered, delay tactics used, one excuse after another. Weeks and weeks pass by until you can't be refunded by PayPal. No effort made to give regular updates, nothing... until the 19th, and then...
    For all we know PIC, OM and Cuspie are all in it together.

Now pause for reflection...

I'm not actually suggesting this is a scam, just that it looks like one.
    Therefore, surely PIC, OM and Cuspie have something of a duty to tell us what's happening.

What are OM doing to fix this?
    I think it would help to defuse the situation if we (the non-developers) knew what was going on in the background.
    Something more detailed than "available soon".
    Give us a clear idea how long this may take to sort out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Estragodot View Post
    Therefore, surely PIC, OM and Cuspie have something of a duty to tell us what's happening.
    cuspie has no ****ing duty to tell you anything whatsoever.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    PalmLives, lc_lol and MikeN68 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Real class. I thought you guys were smarter than that!
    Is this the type of response to expect on this forum?
    Well I'm not going to debase myself to your level except to say; if you haven't got anything intelligent to say - don't say anything at all.

I notice it's thanked by Cuspie. I think that speaks volumes! Pity you don't appear to have a tongue in your head.
    I'm beginning to wonder if this reflects the people involved in this project.
    I think I might have said it a little bit gentler

But the reality here is I'm just like you guys except I spent a whole lot more money and contributed way too many hours of free software development to try to get this project to reality.

I have no legal standing with either PIC or OM and, as such, they have no obligation to provide me any information above and beyond what they would any other customer.

Now I'm hoping we will hear something very soon on this matter and, more specifically, before CES starting January 7th. But the grim reality is that we are not that big a market for PIC/OM - they are not going to get rich off of this community. Markets provided by companies such as LG and Samsung are much larger opportunities particularly for OpenMobile.

Anyone here going to CES? I'm sure we would all love to hear what OpenMobile is demonstrating.
    lc_lol, thg and RumoredNow like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Anyone here going to CES? I'm sure we would all love to hear what OpenMobile is demonstrating.
    Julian Frigger from webos-blog.de will be there, you might want to ping him.
    Julian Frigger from webos-blog.de will be there, you might want to ping him.
    Thanks! Will do!