Page 93 of 105 FirstFirst ... 43838889909192939495969798103 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    All respect to Cuspie for sure!

If this doesn't get resolved soon in cuspie's favor, I'll just file with Paypal to get the money back and roll on. My guess is that many others will do the same.

Shame, as it has promise but since we can dual boot anyway, it's not worth the hassle to wait much longer for ACL for WebOS. I was in love more with the Idea of not having to dual boot all the time, and freeing up some space by having only one OS to worry about, which is why I bought into ACL for WebOS in the first place, but it's not right to see Cuspie's time, money and effort get cut down either.

Hopefully this will have a good outcome for everyone!
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    I wouldn't be to bothered about ACL not being available for download , it is still pretty bad to be fair , im not sure what is different in this version compared to the earlier kickstart one.
    ACL still needs a ton of work to be useable and looks like it has lost its chance now.
    Well that's just great. Sounds like we've bought into a piece of crap!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    cuspie's fault???

That's a lot of nerve. Have you read the post cuspie made? Do you realize he made a $7,500.00 contribution to the kickstarter?

$7,500.00

They (PIC/OMWW) asked him in. He volunteered hours on end writing an installer.

Hours of his time writing the installer.

OMWW broke the agreement made on the Licensing of the installer code.

cuspie's fault???

No.

That question, Sir, is one of the worst things I've read in a long time.
    Good day to you too.
  4. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namgod View Post
    Does it still break Kalemsoft Media player and Picsel Smart Office? That was the deal breaker for me and why I currently don't have the earlier version installed.
    at least Kalem is working now and they also had fixed the problems with USB and audio, the rest seems pretty the same, I still have a small line of background on the top for some apps and scrolling/zooming is still not that smooth than on native webOS or Android.

BTW: Is there no way for people who do have their license to provide them with the binary? Seems to be quite frustrating for them.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    at least Kalem is working now and they also had fixed the problems with USB and audio, the rest seems pretty the same, I still have a small line of background on the top for some apps and scrolling/zooming is still not that smooth than on native webOS or Android.

BTW: Is there no way for people who do have their license to provide them with the binary? Seems to be quite frustrating for them.
    Well, here is the answer I just got from PIC...

John,

At this time the link has been suspended and sadly we cannot make any exceptions. We deeply apologize for this inconvenience and hope that all outstanding issues can be fixed quickly.

Thanks again,

PIC
    AdrianVerde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Do a yahoo search for just "openmobileww.acl_1.0.1"

You might get lucky. One never knows ....... don't dilly dally
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/21/2013 at 11:35 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Rnp and johnawesley like this.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be to bothered about ACL not being available for download , it is still pretty bad to be fair , im not sure what is different in this version compared to the earlier kickstart one.
    ACL still needs a ton of work to be useable and looks like it has lost its chance now.
    Do you write about the beta version / pre-release or do you report about current release (=1.0.1)?
    downloaded 1.0.1 from PIC dropbox in the first hours and hope my dl worked correctly. My md5sum is: 8b7022e3ea4d2338ff085972b7a6679c Size:44996250 bytes

but did not install, cause of cuspies warings about having not up to date installer/uninstaller (beside legal issues)
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    How did you do this through the browser? Where are you getting apps from?
    Search for a file manager for Android via Web browser. After downloading the APK you can install it via download manager.
    I've installed Totalcomander on this way.
    A lot of Android Installation Packages are available direct on developer homepages.
    With a file manager you're able able to install any APK you've got. (sideload)
    That's what I afraid to hear... but I am not so surprise (although I keep having a small hope that what OM_John said is real and they do fix the instability). If they start with an workable alpha version at May, and then end up having something with quality like the kickstart one after 5-6 months, I don't think they would be able to fix all those problems during this period of time.

What troubles me is that I can't understand how OM did their job. For example: when explained how to get apps, PIC said use OM-appstore or "Amazon app store" on the Kickstarter and we can see an Amazon store icon in most of the demo videos. However, when kickstarter beta released and people start trying to use Amazon app store, all kinds of SXXX happened. How could these issues be ignored for all the time during the development?

For my opinion, OM just shows their possible customers that how difficult and impossible to make their ACL work well. Since there are already other good android simulators on PC, I really don't know on what OS they could sell their products...
    I wanted to believe. My first posts in this thread were accusing OM of vaporware, but after a while I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt simply because it showed someone was still willing to put time into a type of support for the platform. I realized they were using webOS as a test platform to show to investors in the larger markets.... but I figured that was better than nothing and figured their need for a proof-of-concept was as great as my desire for something new for lovers of webOS. Sadly, this is becoming a failure for OM and PIC. I don't now what their council is whispering in their ears, but they need new council. Patience is wearing very, very thin for those they made promises to.
    Quote Originally Posted by roydk View Post
    Good day to you too.
    You had every bit of that coming to you. Did you not realize you were typing that into an internet forum and not just thinking it?

Further, I'm wondering if people perhaps might not be able to apply a little bit of perspective to this. This software costs, what, $19.99 with the discount they're currently offering, and it's to use on your pleasure device. Clearly by now you've seen that this company messes up, a lot, but has obviously written non-vaporware software. The odds are very low that you will not ultimately get what you paid for. So I think one has to ask themselves "do I want my money back now or not?" If so, do a chargeback or ask for a refund. If not, "enough." Some of us have been coming here to read about what has been going on and have to wade through 50 pages of whining "I paid, how come it's taking so lonnnnnnnnng?!" followed by 50 "me toos" in outraged tones that make it sound like the company ran over your first-born. First world problems much?
    creepingmee likes this.
    Ok.. let's let that one die off and move along. No arguments here please.
    I heard about this project after the Kickstarter was over and was excited about it. Disappointed I'd missed out on the Kickstarter. Went out and bought a 4G Touchpad (I already owned a non-4G model) as a result of my excitement; opted to do that, rather than buy a new iPad or Android tablet.

Later I was dismayed when I saw things were going to be a little delayed, but I spent $30 on a license anyway in hopes I'd get to use it sometime this fall. Surely by Thanksgiving . . . or, um, Christmas I'd be able to update my Dad's Touchpad (a Christmas gift I gave to him a year or two ago) so he could run Android apps.

I downloaded the installation instruction app. I searched for "ACL" in Preware and wherever else they said you could find it.

I kept searching my email box for news. I found my way here every so often to try and catch up on what was going on.

Then, FINALLY my license code showed up in my email box. I grabbed my Touchpad and searched Preware for ACL and looked for it, but couldn't find it. (Yes, I kept trying to follow the instructions from the ACL installations instruction app, to no avail.) Looked at the email again and realized there was a download link (it wasn't terribly well worded IIRC) and then I tried to download it . . . only to get the dropbox error message. ARGH. Maddening.

I headed here to find out what was going on with the download and if the software was available elsewhere . . . and then I saw cuspie's message and have been tracking things with dismay every since. Argh. I figured they'd made a poor choice with how the software was made available and I'd find people griping about that and maybe an alternate link. Or an ETA for when ACL would be available where the ACL Installation Instructions app said it would be.

The news was worse than I'd imagined-- and yeah, like many of you, I'd begun to doubt this project would ever be ready.

Sure, for some people "it's only $20" but for quite a few people it's more or even a lot more. And it's too late to get refunds via Paypal if you purchased it some time back. Some have spent hours online trying to find out what's going on. In my case, I spent $200 on another Touchpad. A year ago, it would've been hard for me to swing "just $20" for ACL, but I might've felt it worth it and skipped some meals or sold some CDs or whatever to make it happen. Everyone's situation and priorities are different.

But the customer service on this seems to have been truly atrocious and that's true for all of us, no matter our situation. I'm sure plenty of people may not know to check this forum and so this all has got to appear even stranger to them.

I'd love to see regular clear honest updates sent to people who purchased licenses with estimates on product delivery that were accurate or as close as one can get. I'm also a bit cranky to see that $10 discount out there after I spent $30, but then I think it'd be a good deal for my Dad's Touchpad but . . . I don't even know if that's true or not. Buy him a license for Christmas? I'm not comfortable with that now, even at a discount. I'm wary.

Anyway. Sorry to ramble out of the blue like this, but I can't be the only person lurking here or who only just found this forum when they were trying to find answers as to what is going on. Not enough info on the PIC website, that's for sure. (I know, because I kept visiting http://phxdevices.com/blog and the Kickstarter page looking for info.)
    Yep the latest version of acl v1.0.1 isn't all that good and defiantly not ready for release into to the wild, pretty disappointing really but i realised what i was getting into with the kickstarter so won't be asking for refund or anything.
    geekpeter likes this.
    The saga continues....

The amount of effort you guys are putting in to this project is admirable.

You shouldn't have to do what your doing, and the software should be complete by now, but it isn't and you are.

To those of you working like an outsourced testing team for OM/PIC, I say well done. Keep it up!

Maybe one day users like me (none techies) will be able to download an easy to install software package that just works. Maybe.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by roydk View Post
    Is this cuspie's fault that the download got pulled so quickly ? Couldn't he have waited a couple of days so we could have at least gotten a chance to download the files ?

HuH??

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    ZeroZorro likes this.
    Well I managed to download it before it was pulled and despite it being a little sluggish I have been quite pleased so far. With updates and apps being added this could become really good. Netflix runs amazing and the app mall is more robust than I Thoughts nit would be. Unfortunately this fiasco has a good chance of destroying the only thing webOS had going for it right now. Anyone who preordered and isn't aware of this forum is steaming pissed right now and banging on the door for a refund. Oh well
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Celebre View Post
    Well I managed to download it before it was pulled and despite it being a little sluggish I have been quite pleased so far. With updates and apps being added this could become really good. Netflix runs amazing and the app mall is more robust than I Thoughts nit would be. Unfortunately this fiasco has a good chance of destroying the only thing webOS had going for it right now. Anyone who preordered and isn't aware of this forum is steaming pissed right now and banging on the door for a refund. Oh well
    Likewise.. and it has potential indeedy.
    But as Dalai Lama says: "KNOW the 'Rules' ~ so that you also know HOW to 'break' them!"
    Clearly OMWW were perhaps not 'thorough' enough in this respect?
    Sad, but also possibly unsurprising.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    I for one am really impressed with 1.0.1. They fixed the bugs that really killed the experience of 060... The sound works properly, it hasnt lugged my touchpad on webos like it did before, hasnt yet forced me to reboot like it used to and hasnt crashed the entire touchpad like 060 used to quite often. It works surprisingly well, and I'm sure the installer issues will be worked out soon.. I think even the loudest complainers will be satisfied soon (of course some peole are never satisfied).
    John_OM_Tech likes this.