Page 90 of 105 FirstFirst ... 40808586878889909192939495100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I can't download it in Chrome, Firefox or IE. Same 509 message.
    Got it to work now....
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    The plot thickens:

At 3:40 we were contacted by OpenMobile to cease all sales until they fix specific issues related to the ACL software. At 4:15PM EST the download link will be removed from our site until further notice.

Please stay tuned while OpenMobile fixes these outstanding issues.

We apologize for the inconvience.
    At this point, I'm not particularly impressed with these guys, but if they ultimately deliver usability to the TouchPad platform in a way that it has not recently had (like being able to watch Netflix for example), I'm mostly OK with it. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanov View Post
    The plot thickens:
    Indeed, I just got the same email.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanov View Post
    The plot thickens:

At this point, I'm not particularly impressed with these guys, but if they ultimately deliver usability to the TouchPad platform in a way that it has not recently had (like being able to watch Netflix for example), I'm mostly OK with it. We'll see.
    At least I installed it in time before they pulled it. I wonder why they pulled it?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Hmm so what does this email mean from PIC exactly? Will ACL trash my Touchpad? Or is this a GPL issue mentioned in this thread? Confused.
    OpenMobile decided to cease all downloads of the ACL software until the issues relating to the items pointed out by Cuspie are indeed fixed. The download link will be removed from our site until further notice.

Thank you,
    PIC Team
    ...but I then immediately downloaded the file (and it should be available for another 10 mins).
    OpenMobile decided to cease all downloads of the ACL software until the issues relating to the items pointed out by Cuspie are indeed fixed. The download link will be removed from our site until further notice.

Thank you,
    PIC Team
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Seems they took it seriously anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Rod hasn't approved it in Preware yet (and likely won't at this point), the Dropbox link isn't working, they've either pulled it temporarily or are overwhelmed by the attempts to download.
    Indeed it will not get approved.

And on principle I will not use a product from a company that abuses open source licenses and allegedly attempts to obsfucate that abuse.

So I now have two never-installed ACL licenses available. The largest donation sent to WebOS Internals in the next 48 hours will get them (they cannot be split as far as I can see). Note that they may end up being worthless if this licensing issue cannot be resolved, so do not donate more than what you would donate if there was no license keys on offer.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    geekpeter and dkirker like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by figgel View Post
    hmmm, i installed acl v1.0.1, but there is no "activation" icon
    Yeah, not sure, about this either, I have been running V1.0.1 and it has not asked me for a license key as of yet (although I have modified many things in the system.img)?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I don't think I've ever felt so deflated about a release that has been coming for so long. And now this extra legal drama has me even feeling a little sad.

PIC's reputation seems OK at this stage, but OM are really teetering on the edge. One of the 2 companies, one seems to care about webos and the community and the other doesn't (appear to). If PIC were to pull the pin I think this would be the one and only release. If OM are not careful, they will be more disliked than HP.

The let down is partly my fault, I have CM9 installed but almost never boot into it because I much prefer webos. In fact I mainly use the browser and apart from some pages wanting to constantly refresh, I find it pretty good.

I haven't installed any android apps yet, but the pre-installed are a bit slow (release notes say no hardware accel so that's probably it) and the android keyboard that you have to use is small and just not as good (I always liked the original Touchpad keyboard, but I love the LunaCE keyboard with the trackball).

I suppose "it's all about the apps" might be true on a large scale, but for users with simple needs, the user experience plays a bigger part. I would recommend an iPad to my older parents (or webos tablet if there was one) but not an Android tablet as they would be constantly on the phone asking how to do anything.

Ben
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    @benh you describe a lot of my feelings.

@OM
    Sorry guys. Your product and your policy make me angry.
    The idea of Android Apps under webOS is wonderful, but the product is to slow and this license issue was avoidable.
    This is just great! I'd like to thank all the people involved in getting this delayed, released, and pulled. Nice job all around guys.
    johnawesley and Preemptive like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by roydk View Post
    This is just great! I'd like to thank all the people involved in getting this delayed, released, and pulled. Nice job all around guys.
    I agree. I just paid for ACL for Webos yesterday with Paypal all excited to hear that it was released today, only to see that it got pulled I have called PIC 5 times and emailed them 3 times and NEVER get a reply. I did have OM call and Email me though and told me to contact PIC which I have with NO answer as of yet. So, it's back to the drawing board for now I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Rod,

What we need and what we get are two different things.

Since posting my question above I have had the good fortune to get a peek at the change log. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, OM is pulling the strings, not PIC and PIC is being forced to comply. This applies to the binary and to the installer as well.

Don't be surprised if your TP Go fix for the installer isn!t included in the release version. From what I read in the change log, nothing PIC put into the installer remains in the final version . Whatever OM was willing to allow they added to their binary and made PIC discard their installer.
    That's just my take and I'm sharing my interpretation here because I am not under any NDA agreement.
    I saw the nightmare of the past 24 hours with OMWW coming like a freight train with no brakes. Interesting to note that after I posted my interpretations of the changelog and how OMWW removed the installer, that the change log disappeared from every release thereafter.

Seems like OMWW is up to no good, and it may be beyond the good folks at PIC's ability to do much about it.

Shame on you OMWW.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    PIC just got ahold of me tonight by Email, thank you PIC They said that I should have gotten a license key yesterday in an email, but I did not receive such an email. They asked me if I had downloaded it today prior to the release being stopped, and the answer is NO, because I was NOT sent the Email.
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    Any reason why OpenMobile made this decision?
    maybe to show/demonstrate that its 100% their own product?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Trust me ... I could not imagine this happening considering how concerned all the parties were about Intellectual Property rights. I have no real idea how I got engaged in the middle of this, but I still have hope that the right thing can happen. I know that the PIC team is working right now to resolve these issues.

I'm not giving up, I am just really sad at this point.
    are you conversing with anyone at OM directly or is PIC having to mediate on your behalf?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Try filing a dispute with paypal if pic doesn't answer you, can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by johnawesley View Post
    I agree. I just paid for ACL for Webos yesterday with Paypal all excited to hear that it was released today, only to see that it got pulled I have called PIC 5 times and emailed them 3 times and NEVER get a reply. I did have OM call and Email me though and told me to contact PIC which I have with NO answer as of yet. So, it's back to the drawing board for now I guess.