Page 9 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 59 ... LastLast
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i obviously dont know how they run things, but not updating their app in so long while apparantly still having the /$$ to go demo it all over the place is quite mystifying.

Surely if they have the cash to go to shows/events and hire people to do all this then they must have had even a little cash to fund changes/updates to something more up to date and useable.
    Who in their right mind would continue updating and maintaining an unreleased product for a platform that is, effectively (and disregarding the existence of OpenWebOS) dead? There are far better uses for that money...drugs, women, booze, Ferraris, etc.

I hate being negative about this Kickstarter project, but I can't help feel it's simply 18 months too late - this ship has already sailed.
    RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
    Well, even a non-dead platform their tightly controlled demo is running on, it's not the latest either, so you may be right about where money is going. But the clock keeps ticking...
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    Who in their right mind would continue updating and maintaining an unreleased product for a platform that is, effectively (and disregarding the existence of OpenWebOS) dead? There are far better uses for that money...drugs, women, booze, Ferraris, etc.

I hate being negative about this Kickstarter project, but I can't help feel it's simply 18 months too late - this ship has already sailed.
    the state of their touchpad ACL is identical to the state of ACL on all their other OS platforms many of which arent dead so if you apply the same logic, why isnt the "still alive" stuff not updated with webOS trailing behind?

their still sailing merrily in other platforms, their boat is sail worthy its just never bothered leaving dock.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Maybe 2.3.3 is the only version they got to work.

More recent versions of Android now have a "triple buffering" graphics system for "buttery smooth animations" - maybe this additional hurdle makes it more of a challenge to port ACL to various platforms. Dunno.

Though the cynic in me just believes their staff never managed to learn the carefully choreographed moves required when playing a video of an updated Android system in order to successfully give the impression of a working ACL system...
    Another FAQ update on the kickstarter page:

"Independent App Stores might not have the apps I REALLY want - What if I want one of those big name app stores?
    Not a problem. One of the major app stores - Amazon Appstore - is available for free download to anyone who wants to use it. It carries almost all the major apps, and once you've installed it on your Touchpad you will be able to get both free and paid apps from major developers. And they will install directly onto your Touchpad just as it does when you use the Appstore on an actual Android device. We've got you covered.
    http://www.amazon.com/getappstore"

Looks like we won't have to use OM's AppMall if we don't want to. Once ACL is running we will be able to install any .apk, which means being able to install any of the third party App Stores. I think they all freely provide their .apk to install their store app. I'm not sure if Google Play does the same though.
    New PIC acl video up:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQpxlMjsFTM[/YT]
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/01/2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: properly embedded YouTube vid
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

"Independent App Stores might not have the apps I REALLY want - What if I want one of those big name app stores?
    Not a problem. One of the major app stores - Amazon Appstore - is available for free download to anyone who wants to use it. It carries almost all the major apps, and once you've installed it on your Touchpad you will be able to get both free and paid apps from major developers. And they will install directly onto your Touchpad just as it does when you use the Appstore on an actual Android device. We've got you covered.
    http://www.amazon.com/getappstore"

Looks like we won't have to use OM's AppMall if we don't want to. Once ACL is running we will be able to install any .apk, which means being able to install any of the third party App Stores. I think they all freely provide their .apk to install their store app. I'm not sure if Google Play does the same though.
    This is a good step forward in the app availability story for PIC and ACL. It fully answers my app licensing and redistribution concerns.

-- Rod
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/01/2013 at 06:58 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The upsetting part about the cost of this is that where Phoenix will make their money is from companies that want to use something other than Android on their phone or tablet, but want their customers to have access to all of the Android apps. Charging the Touchpad users money for this in my opinion is almost criminal. Personally, with this being a "kickstarter project" it would make sense to me to release it to Touchpad users and call it your pilot. Assuming we love it, that sells your case for it to be sold to companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    New PIC acl video up:

Amazing video! I love that slow motion they added for dramatic effect when Jetpack Joyride started playing!

edit: I'm being too hard on them, I know. Maybe in the coming months the performance can be smoothed out a bit. An ACL demo video of it doing some Netflix streaming would be worth showing and would actually be cool to see, if it works.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Amazing video! I love that slow motion they added for dramatic effect when Jetpack Joyride started playing!

edit: I'm being too hard on them, I know. Maybe in the coming months the performance can be smoothed out a bit. An ACL demo video of it doing some Netflix streaming would be worth showing and would actually be cool to see, if it works.
    Can they upload a video that doesn't look like it was taken with my mom's 3 year old flip phone? This is supposed to be a legit company right?
    Can they upload a video that doesn't look like it was taken with my mom's 3 year old flip phone? This is supposed to be a legit company right?
    Yes and no, please be aware it's a startup company mostly run by volunteers who love webOS and they don't want to waste money on expensive video equipment and guys who can do proper video. So the guys just record with what they have available, this could be a phone, digital camera or video camera.

The company exists of a lot of volunteers from different locations, so even when there would be a 'video guy' around he might not be at the same place as the hardware...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Not a problem. One of the major app stores - Amazon Appstore - is available for free download to anyone who wants to use it.
    I'd like to see this documented. Is there a video showing a purchase from an Amazon app store and a download directly onto the device? edit: ok i see the vid.

Can we get also a list of the top 35 or so most popular apps in googleplay and a confirm of whether or not they would work on this phoenix project? I'm assuming for example Netflix would not because of the proprietary technology and some of the banking apps may be strict about which versions of android they support...

Since they say they will have a beta by June, I'm wondering if this kickstarter is not intended to raise the money for the work to be completed. Is most of the money raised to pay ACL a one time payment and then Phoenix recoups its costs by charging the $20-40 for the software?

I like the fact that they are starting to give more information but I feel there are significant pieces of information they need to still add before I would support this.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/01/2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    From the FAQ on the kick start page:

"What will the price of the software be?
    Pricing has not yet been finalized, but it's fairly safe to say we expect it to be in the $20 to $35 range. I know you'd like to hear an exact price, but unfortunately there are still some details we are still working out. Once we've done that we will let you know right away.

Last updated: Monday Apr 29, 9:08pm EDT"

Let's take the pricing for a finished product at the low end. $20 for a third party App catalog of GingerBread level Apps?

What does that get you? I can't find access to OpenaMobile's AppMall through my browser. To the best of my research they only have neXva signed on to partner for that AppMall so here is neXva's site so you can see what you are buying into: neXva.com - mobile reloaded

It will cost at least $20 for a copy of ACL???

How would any OS fare if they charged a $20 entrance fee to get into their App Store? IMHO, not very well.

$20 buy in, GingerBread level support, limited repackaging of Apps for support on one device.

That does not sound like a feasible sales model to me.

If someone assumes a $20-$35 range, never assume the low end--assume $30-$35 would be safer bet, high 20s on the very outside.

Speculation:
    So Phoenix pays ACL $30K for the rights to take the gingerbread almost completed demo and finish it. Then they sell the app for $30 apiece and give ACL perhaps a portion of the sale. Not sure about the super hosted store, does ACl/phoenix take additional fee if you use that store or maybe they harvest your name and use it for advertising.

been enjoying the microsoft commercials lately about google (scroogled.com)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If someone assumes a $20-$35 range, never assume the low end--assume $30-$35 would be safer bet, high 20s on the very outside...
    I was trying to be considerate...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    39% raised so far. That's not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This is a good step forward in the app availability story for PIC and ACL. It fully answers my app licensing and redistribution concerns.

-- Rod
    Technically speaking, that's an answer. An honest one too. But practically speaking, it's a shoehorned solution that piggybacks on Amazon's solution, as so many non-Google sanctioned Shenzen Android tablets use as a cobbled workaround to address the app question. And at least those can push ICS or better now.

I appreciate their effort, and all real contributions to the platform are fantastic news. But I tend to agree with RumoredNow. With OM's rep, the status of the current working model, etc, it seems pretty inappropriate to jump a Kickstarter campaign for this. It's not actually "open," they're offering to sell us something that was supposedly finished two years ago, and they have done little to nothing to add to the value or update it from two year old tech.

Best of luck, but I will save what contributions I have for Open webOS and for Phoenix hardware not associated with OM and this ACL stuff until proven wrong. Hopefully the harsh criticisms will be addressed in short order.

Edit: And I would add, if there had just been a "donate" button to try to "finish and release ACL," I may have been on board straight away.
    Last edited by ananimus; 05/01/2013 at 02:57 PM.
    why don't we raise $36000 so they can buy a good camera?
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that I have opened this account in order to be able to communicate with you regarding questions that are being raised with respect to the ACL for HP Touchpad Kickstarter Campaign. Hopefully I can clear up some of the confusion so that at least you can have a clear picture on what is going on.

Marc
    Development Manager
    PIC
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post

Edit: And I would add, if there had just been a "donate" button to try to "finish and release ACL," I may have been on board straight away.
    Hi,

Can you clarify this a bit? I'm not seeing what the substantive difference between asking for donations with a donate button to finish and release ACL, and asking for donations via a Kickstarter Campaign to finish and release ACL is.
    Jive Turkey and Rnp like this.

Can we get also a list of the top 35 or so most popular apps in googleplay and a confirm of whether or not they would work on this phoenix project? I'm assuming for example Netflix would not because of the proprietary technology and some of the banking apps may be strict about which versions of android they support...
    There are apps that will not work on the alpha currently, but will work as development progresses. Netflix is not one of them however - it is currently 'working' in the alpha, but the video playback is a choppy. messy experience! It will get better however.

Since they say they will have a beta by June, I'm wondering if this kickstarter is not intended to raise the money for the work to be completed. Is most of the money raised to pay ACL a one time payment and then Phoenix recoups its costs by charging the $20-40 for the software?
    Yes. As we stated in the Kickstarter campaign, the money raised goes towards the costs of completing the development so ACL can be completed and sold.

I like the fact that they are starting to give more information but I feel there are significant pieces of information they need to still add before I would support this.
    Let me know what else you need to know and I will do my best.