Page 89 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3979848586878889909192939499 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
  1. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    The problem is not autostart ... your absolutely right, it's trivial to fix both /etc/event.d/start-acl and /etc/event.d/start-acl-services to suppress starting ACL.
    yes, I know, I had a small bash-script doing this for me, but this was "unconvenient" using it, so I hoped PIC/OM should have done it for us.

The problem is: once it's started, your not going to stop it without a reboot. You can suspend it ... that's what mount.sh does, but stopping it so that you can restart it is, at best, non-trivial!
    Yes, that's what I saw too, a lot of processes and a lot of other stuff that hasto be ended and so on. Quite much work for somebody outside PIC/OM, while for them quite a simple task.

Seems to be that we have to do our own installer for ACL :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    yes, I know, I had a small bash-script doing this for me, but this was "unconvenient" using it, so I hoped PIC/OM should have done it for us.
    Oh - it's much easier than that ... if you look at the Beta /etc/event.d/start-acl.sh, you will see that the script doesn't start until an opt-mounted signal is sent to upstart. All you need to do for both of these scripts is to change to a new upstart signal, for example, in /etc/event.d/start-acl

start on want-to-get-things-going

and in /etc/event.d/start-acl-services

start on wait-to-get-things-going and stopped start-acl

Then, the simple command line:

/sbin/initctl -q emit want-to-get-things-going

will start everything up.
    Hello All,

During the past few months, PIC was working on the IPK with Cuspie. He put a tremendous amount of time and effort into the work to make this an exceptional product. At some point, as most of you already know OpenMobile decided that it would be in their best interest to take over the IPK and create the package themselves.

The agreement as Cuspie made reference to has always been the same: His software was only meant for a PIC packaged and delivered ACL and not an OpenMobile packaged one and any GPL licensed code must follow GPL rules. Unfortunately we are now in an awkward situation where the software has been released and he has informed us all that he sees signs this is not the case. Under the agreement OpenMobile should have implemented their own code for their own installer, and if they have failed to do so they need to correct this. We will follow up on this and hopefully it will be sorted out quickly.

Matthew Zakutny
    PIC
    Garfonso likes this.
    Hello All,

During the past few months, PIC was working on the IPK with Cuspie. He put a tremendous amount of time and effort into the work to make this an exceptional product. At some point, as most of you already know OpenMobile decided that it would be in their best interest to take over the IPK and create the package themselves.

The agreement as Cuspie made reference to has always been the same: His software was only meant for a PIC packaged and delivered ACL and not an OpenMobile packaged one and any GPL licensed code must follow GPL rules. Unfortunately we are now in an awkward situation where the software has been released and he has informed us all that he sees signs this is not the case. Under the agreement OpenMobile should have implemented their own code for their own installer, and if they have failed to do so they need to correct this. We will follow up on this and hopefully it will be sorted out quickly.

Matthew Zakutny
    PIC

(Is been posted with this account due "phxdevices" has no many posts and the message was under moderation)
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Garfonso likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    Hello All,

Matthew Zakutny
    PIC
    Matt,

Thank you for so rapidly responding to this issue. I have always enjoyed my relationship as an investor in PIC and believed that PIC is fully committed to "doing the right thing." I am so very happy to see that confirmed again.
    Garfonso likes this.
    FYI...

With the GPL V2 kernel modules updated with the correct vermagic shortlion string, V1.0.1 works on the Touchpad Go... Also removing OpenMobiles AppMail and installing Google Market (from gingerbread) works, and SuperUser also works... So even though OpenMobile will not support the Go, it does work as the alpha did.

I am on a lunch break now, but later I will detail how I did it (FYI, I did not go thru the normal install but ripped apart their IPK to install the binary on my own (it is a shell script with a tar attached, the shell script extracts the tar files including the system.img file)... Do not have much time to decompile it and figure out all that it is doing, but it appears to install some form of Optiware not sure if it webOS Internals version or not though...

Look for an update in this thread later tonight:
    Google market and Amazon apps for ACL

Due to the pull of V1.0.1 I am delaying updating the other thread, but once the final product is released I will release step by step guide on how to remove the AppMall and include the Google Market and how to root the device via SuperUser.apk.

However for those of us who have V1.0.1 it does work on the Go, and the Google Market and Root works...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/19/2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Hello All,

Matthew Zakutny
    PIC

(Is been posted with this account due "phxdevices" has no many posts and the message was under moderation)
    Any reason why OpenMobile made this decision?
    Don't be quick to attribute to malice that which can be just as easily explained with lack of knowledge.

I expect that we'll probably have a pretty quick resolution to this saga, well, as quick as anything moves in this community.

my 1st question is if cuspie came here first, or went to his contacts at PIC or OpenMobile first? Because while it's certainly his right to handle the situation in whatever way he sees fit, it would seem to me that it would be better to seek a resolution to the problem in private first, before raising the ire of the webOS and open source communities all at once. :-)

of course, if this actually was malicious, then i will have no choice but to echo everyone else's sentiments.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Garfonso and cujoq37 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Don't be quick to attribute to malice that which can be just as easily explained with lack of knowledge.

I expect that we'll probably have a pretty quick resolution to this saga, well, as quick as anything moves in this community.

my 1st question is if cuspie came here first, or went to his contacts at PIC or OpenMobile first? Because while it's certainly his right to handle the situation in whatever way he sees fit, it would seem to me that it would be better to seek a resolution to the problem in private first, before raising the ire of the webOS and open source communities all at once. :-)

of course, if this actually was malicious, then i will have no choice but to echo everyone else's sentiments.
    Just to be clear, I went to my contacts at PIC first - no question about that as I have the e-mail trail as well as the telephone logs from as recently as last night. For the last week or so I have been strongly advising my contacts that if you move forward with distributing this code and if you send me notification that it has been distributed, then I would be left with no option but to determine if pieces of my beta code and design remain in their release and, if so, provide the post that I did to this forum.
    Garfonso likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Just to be clear, I went to my contacts at PIC first - no question about that as I have the e-mail trail as well as the telephone logs from as recently as last night. For the last week or so I have been strongly advising my contacts that if you move forward with distributing this code and if you send me notification that it has been distributed, then I would be left with no option but to determine if pieces of my beta code and design remain in their release and, if so, provide the post that I did to this forum.
    Fair enough, then. And I'm sorry if you mentioned that first, I haven't slept much the last couple days, my reading comprehension is starting to fail.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    @cuspie

I'm very sorry about what has happened.

I never wanted to be that right.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    geekpeter likes this.
    Has this discussion (last 2 pages) anything to do with me not able to find the app in Preware and WOSQI and the link on dropbox not working?
    I got my serial number in my mailbox but where to get the 1.0 version at the moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    @cuspie

I'm very sorry about what has happened.

I never wanted to be that right.

Trust me ... I could not imagine this happening considering how concerned all the parties were about Intellectual Property rights. I have no real idea how I got engaged in the middle of this, but I still have hope that the right thing can happen. I know that the PIC team is working right now to resolve these issues.

I'm not giving up, I am just really sad at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZorro View Post
    Has this discussion (last 2 pages) anything to do with me not able to find the app in Preware and WOSQI and the link on dropbox not working?
    I got my serial number in my mailbox but where to get the 1.0 version at the moment?
    Rod hasn't approved it in Preware yet (and likely won't at this point), the Dropbox link isn't working, they've either pulled it temporarily or are overwhelmed by the attempts to download.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Rod hasn't approved it in Preware yet (and likely won't at this point), the Dropbox link isn't working, they've either pulled it temporarily or are overwhelmed by the attempts to download.
    Hey Broncot, just clean the cache of your browser and you should be able to download the file.

Dan
    webOS Italia Community Manager

User of webOS 2.2.4 on Pre-/ Pre3 & webOS 3.0.5 on HP TouchPad
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    @Dmister, is there any ballpark on public release yet?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    hmmm, i installed acl v1.0.1, but there is no "activation" icon
    Hey Broncot, just clean the cache of your browser and you should be able to download the file.

Dan
    I can't download it in Chrome, Firefox or IE. Same 509 message.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
  19. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by figgel View Post
    hmmm, i installed acl v1.0.1, but there is no "activation" icon
    you have to start ACL itself, it didn't worked the first time for me, but after a reboot I got several options, including one for activating ACL. Didn't tried that right now ...
    Er, I'm not sure why including GPL code in commercial products is tricky - unless it's the 'army of lawyers' thing.

I own products that contain GPL (or similar) code - not least a telephone that runs on Linux, although the OS as a whole had to be 'open sourced' by HP.

I gather Android is becoming more and more proprietary, but nonetheless, it's Linux based and the code is published.

~That aside, OM may have commercial reasons for wanting a proprietary installer, but taking someone else's code and breaching the license terms is outrageous and a slap in the face to the generous attitude that prevails in this community. I hope this turns out to (somehow?) be an error or is at least quickly resolved.

This has turned from PRPRPR $incompetence$ $to$ $a$ $textbook$ $disaster$.

Services - Software Freedom Law Center
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/19/2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: it's always a plus to spell incompetence correctly...