Page 88 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3878838485868788899091929398 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DMeister View Post
    Hey Mike, please send an email responding back to the kickstarter campaign email, we will figure out. Surely is an error!

And I apologize for my absence on the forum, guys. We were (and actually are!) working really really hard to get this into your hands soonest possible! Thanks the patience shown! We really appreciated it.

Dan
    PIC respond very quickly to my query on the license number. They apologized and are working on it.

Fingers crossed I'll have the shiny new ACL v1.0 on both TP's soon! :-)
    DMeister likes this.
    No public announcement of the release on the OM website - I would expect this to big news they want to have public, even if it is just released for the beta-testers and/or kickstarter supporters for now.
    Uninstalled 'Preview' 0.6.0.-
    Rebooted.
    Installed V 1.0.1
    Rebooted.
    ~ Bootloop.

There's your answer! "No 'GO'" apparently.

Doctor, Doctor... I've got this BIG OM/PlC pain in my Ars*....

Rod's fix detailed here should theoretically still work, you need to mount the filesystem as read-write, change the modules etc.... But the bootloop doesn't help.... Would be good if we could fix the bootloop from happening so the actual steps can be done. I'm guess Rod will provide some instructions soon :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 12/19/2013 at 08:08 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    On the morning of the release of version 1.0 of ACL for webOS, I find myself sadly having to tell the community that everyone that warned about funding this Kickstarter was right and I was wrong.

For those who don't know, I'm the one who wrote the Beta Installer

I was motivated to do this during the dinner that I had with PIC in New York. The morning after receiving a really pre-pre-alpha version of the code, OpenMobile asked to meet with me and I had a discussion with Mike Paquette concerning the outstanding issues. This was followed up with a e-mail through Kickstarter via PIC that included:

The reason I bring this up is because I had an email com in from Mike P. Requesting some of your knowledge on some situations noted below:

"OK, thanks – it would be great to get some time from Dwight! Rather than have you guys run through the 32 major bugs we’re tracking in our database, can we ask for some help on a specific issue?

1. We really need some help on the issue of where/how to relocate ACL so that we:
    a) Have enough space to upgrade to Android Jelly Bean when we release it.
    b) Do not create an incompatibility with Preware Optware as described in Bug # 000015
    ACL (and the included Android System) require an ext file system. We would want to have enough space to allow for lifetime growth up to 1GB for Android/ACL.
    The media\internal area would be good, but is is vFAT. Can Dwight suggest an optimal approach/solution? ...
    Now, when I had this meeting with Mike and in all future conversations, I was very clear - GNU Public License Only for my code. I do not work for PIC - I have no legal arrangements with PIC - I have never authorized PIC to give away any rights to my code and I refused to sign any Non Disclosures.

So - you folks all saw the beta. It's not tragic, but it needed work. I will only take credit for the installer and, prior to this morning release, I believed that an updated version of the GPL installer would have been included in this release.

Well - big freaking surprise ...

I don't have my licenses yet, so I can't run this code (not sure I want to) but I just downloaded the production release and am quite saddened. I now know what has been delaying the release of this software. Someone has been busy rewriting the installer to remove my attribution and GNU Public License from the code And in those cases where they didn't want to rewrite the code, they simply took my beta software and obscured it so that it's not obvious what was taken - /opt/omww/bin/mount.sh is embarrassingly obvious example. (Yes - it very easy to unobscure this code back to its script without any modifications to the binary - but I leave that as a rather trivial exercise for the reader.)

More significant is the quite embarrassing issue is that whoever was responsible for taking my GPL code without permission, license, or attribution managed to break it in the process.

So - everyone - if you have no problems with running software that is built upon GPL code taken without attribution or license then be very careful about running this release.

- If you install Optware Bootstrap after installing ACL ... /opt is mounted on top of ACL and ACL will never recover
    - If you install Optware Bootstrap before installing ACL - be ready for a great busy loop in /etc/event.d/start-acl while they wait for the Optware Bootstrap upstart script to run ... you can see in the beta installer how I dealt with this.
    - Their version of mount.sh is broken .. it is the beta release code right down to my comments. I had fixed the problem with this code but they didn't seem to ship that. Core issue - don't mount USB drive immediately after rebooting from the first ACL installation - you will end up doctoring.
    - I did write and deliver to PIC a GPL script that would cleanup the system prior to installing the production version but that does not seem to be used. Obvious things that should be cleaned up besides running /opt/omww/bin/uninstall-acl.sh from the beta release include: (1) remove /media/cryptofs/android-*.ext? and (2) remove /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/.acl directory
    - Whoever rewrote the scripts is unaware of the fact that /bin/sh on a TouchPad is the BusyBox implementation of /bin/sh. Every one of the for loops of the form: "for i in {1..10}" will execute exactly once! If you look at my beta code, you will see that I uniformly used "for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" to work around this problem - and, because my code was simply taken as-is in places such as mount.sh - you will see this construct in those scripts.
    - I believe that you will find that at least two of the three modules that you have to patch to support the TouchPad Go are GPL code - at least they are so marked. If you look in the beta installer postinst GPL script, lines 136-138 test and install the TouchPad Go support. And, of course, given that these kernel mods are GPL - someone owes the community the source code!

So to all of the people on this forum that warned us about funding this Kickstarter - I apologize to you. You were right and I was wrong.

To Phoenix International Communications and OpenMobile World Wide - I ask that you reconsider what you have done, restore the GPL license to the code and stop using my software without attribution. I contributed several months of labor to this project, at the explicit request of PIC and OpenMobile, as well as way too much money to be treated this poorly.

To both of these organizations: Shame on You!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Wow.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Alan Morford and steinhage like this.
  6. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    There's your answer! "No 'GO'" apparently.
    thanks for testing that, so I do not have to restore my Go :-D

Doctor, Doctor... I've got this BIG OM/PlC pain in my Ars*....
    I don't think that you need the doctor, just remove the autostart of ACL using Novaterm:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mv /etc/event.d/start-acl /home/root/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    You only have to fin the short timeframe when you can login, to execute the above, before the Go reboots again.

But it's a shame that they didn't included Rod's fix, so we have to do it by ourselves :-(

And I really missing the possibility to disable the autostart and only enable ACL whe needed :-(

regards,

thg
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Rod's fix detailed here should theoretically still work, you need to mount the filesystem as read-write, change the modules etc.... But the bootloop doesn't help.... Would be good if we could fix the bootloop from happening so the actual steps can be done. I'm guess Rod will provide some instructions soon :-)
    I no longer have a TouchPad Go in my possession.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    And I really missing the possibility to disable the autostart and only enable ACL whe needed :-(

regards,

thg
    The problem is not autostart ... your absolutely right, it's trivial to fix both /etc/event.d/start-acl and /etc/event.d/start-acl-services to suppress starting ACL.

The problem is: once it's started, your not going to stop it without a reboot. You can suspend it ... that's what mount.sh does, but stopping it so that you can restart it is, at best, non-trivial!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    On the morning of the release of version 1.0 of ACL for webOS, I find myself sadly having to tell the community that everyone that warned about funding this Kickstarter was right and I was wrong.

For those who don't know, I'm the one who wrote the Beta Installer

I was motivated to do this during the dinner that I had with PIC in New York. The morning after receiving a really pre-pre-alpha version of the code, OpenMobile asked to meet with me and I had a discussion with Mike Paquette concerning the outstanding issues. This was followed up with a e-mail through Kickstarter via PIC that included:

Now, when I had this meeting with Mike and in all future conversations, I was very clear - GNU Public License Only for my code. I do not work for PIC - I have no legal arrangements with PIC - I have never authorized PIC to give away any rights to my code and I refused to sign any Non Disclosures.

So - you folks all saw the beta. It's not tragic, but it needed work. I will only take credit for the installer and, prior to this morning release, I believed that an updated version of the GPL installer would have been included in this release.

Well - big freaking surprise ...

I don't have my licenses yet, so I can't run this code (not sure I want to) but I just downloaded the production release and am quite saddened. I now know what has been delaying the release of this software. Someone has been busy rewriting the installer to remove my attribution and GNU Public License from the code And in those cases where they didn't want to rewrite the code, they simply took my beta software and obscured it so that it's not obvious what was taken - /opt/omww/bin/mount.sh is embarrassingly obvious example. (Yes - it very easy to unobscure this code back to its script without any modifications to the binary - but I leave that as a rather trivial exercise for the reader.)

More significant is the quite embarrassing issue is that whoever was responsible for taking my GPL code without permission, license, or attribution managed to break it in the process.

So - everyone - if you have no problems with running software that is built upon GPL code taken without attribution or license then be very careful about running this release.

- If you install Optware Bootstrap after installing ACL ... /opt is mounted on top of ACL and ACL will never recover
    - If you install Optware Bootstrap before installing ACL - be ready for a great busy loop in /etc/event.d/start-acl while they wait for the Optware Bootstrap upstart script to run ... you can see in the beta installer how I dealt with this.
    - Their version of mount.sh is broken .. it is the beta release code right down to my comments. I had fixed the problem with this code but they didn't seem to ship that. Core issue - don't mount USB drive immediately after rebooting from the first ACL installation - you will end up doctoring.
    - I did write and deliver to PIC a GPL script that would cleanup the system prior to installing the production version but that does not seem to be used. Obvious things that should be cleaned up besides running /opt/omww/bin/uninstall-acl.sh from the beta release include: (1) remove /media/cryptofs/android-*.ext? and (2) remove /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/.acl directory
    - Whoever rewrote the scripts is unaware of the fact that /bin/sh on a TouchPad is the BusyBox implementation of /bin/sh. Every one of the for loops of the form: "for i in {1..10}" will execute exactly once! If you look at my beta code, you will see that I uniformly used "for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" to work around this problem - and, because my code was simply taken as-is in places such as mount.sh - you will see this construct in those scripts.
    - I believe that you will find that at least two of the three modules that you have to patch to support the TouchPad Go are GPL code - at least they are so marked. If you look in the beta installer postinst GPL script, lines 136-138 test and install the TouchPad Go support. And, of course, given that these kernel mods are GPL - someone owes the community the source code!

So to all of the people on this forum that warned us about funding this Kickstarter - I apologize to you. You were right and I was wrong.

To Phoenix International Communications and OpenMobile World Wide - I ask that you reconsider what you have done, restore the GPL license to the code and stop using my software without attribution. I contributed several months of labor to this project, at the explicit request of PIC and OpenMobile, as well as way too much money to be treated this poorly.

Hmmm. Looks like I need to look very closely at this situation before making a decision about whether to add PIC's feed to Preware (as has been requested).

Cuspie, please share in this thread the exact evidence you have found, to save me having to find and deobsfucate it.

If the situation really is as you state (obsfucation of GPL infringement), that would be a very serious matter for these companies to address.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Hmmm. Looks like I need to look very closely at this situation before making a decision about whether to add PIC's feed to Preware (as has been requested).

Cuspie, please share in this thread the exact evidence you have found, to save me having to find and deobsfucate it.

If the situation really is as you state (obsfucation of GPL infringement), that would be a very serious matter for these companies to address.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I will send you a private post but I must warn you ... I believe that the current EULA may make this difficult to publish unless you refuse to run the code and, thus, are not covered by the EULA. Be aware!

cuspie

@cuspie:
    That's really sad, you spent a lot of money onr this project and time as well

Would it be possible to anyone itself to repack the final 1.0.0 ipk with your updated/fixed scripts? Or is that impossible as the new ACL version now perhaps depends on different folders in the scripts...?

So i won't deinstall preview for now (at least not before holidays are over cause i'm not into doctoring my device under the xmas tree) but perhaps you are also the best source to tell us how to uninstall beta/preview completely to have a clean device without doctoring. Any step-by-step advice for uninstalling?
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    @cuspie:
    That's really sad, you spent a lot of money for this project

Would it be possible to anyone itself to repack the final 1.0.0 ipk with your updated/fixed scripts? Or is that impossible now as the new ACL version now perhaps depends on different folders...?

So i won't deinstall preview for now (at least not before holidays are over cause i'm not into doctoring my device under the xmas tree) but perhaps you are also the best source to tell us how to uninstall beta/preview completely to have a clean device without doctoring. Any step-by-step advice for uninstalling?
    Other than legal issues, it would be trivial to run the installation script to repackage 1.0.0 in the beta form. But don't ignore the legal issues. I cannot be complaining about what has been done to me and then turn around and violate OpenMobile's Intellectual Property.

As for the preview release - remember that PIC is going to have to disable that license shortly.
    @ OM / PIC:

your Dropbox download of final com.openmobileww.acl_1.0.1_all.ipk is not working anymore:

Error (509)
    This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I no longer have a TouchPad Go in my possession.

-- Rod
    I'm up the road in Melbs with one if you should require to 'borrow' it at any time Rod, you are more than welcome.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/19/2013 at 09:06 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    johncampanale likes this.
    Now, when I had this meeting with Mike and in all future conversations, I was very clear - GNU Public License Only for my code.

Yes, shame on them for taking your GPL code in the first place. They should have silently discarded it and not taken any of your help. Would have spared them of a lot of trouble.

You can't really sell a product with GPL stuff inside. At least not without an armada of lawyers. I saw a project nearly going down because of people requesting full source. There was one small (and more or less optional) script which was GPL (with correct attribution and License included and a way to get the source of the script, which in fact lead the people to know about the GPL stuff included and allowed them to fire their request to open source everything in the first place). There was not enough money to higher lawyers, so we did not fight it through. It was easier to just remove the GPL stuff and create it on our own. But it was a very bad experience and quite a high risk for the company. I would never ever advise anybody to include anything GPL in a project if he wants to sell a product. Never.

At least we can stop wondering why your installer or any TP Go Hacks are not included.
    Sucks when the business side of things ruins what could have been a good thing.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Yes, shame on them for taking your GPL code in the first place. They should have silently discarded it and not taken any of your help. Would have spared them of a lot of trouble.

You can't really sell a product with GPL stuff inside. At least not without an armada of lawyers. I saw a project nearly going down because of people requesting full source. There was one small (and more or less optional) script which was GPL (with correct attribution and License included and a way to get the source of the script, which in fact lead the people to know about the GPL stuff included and allowed them to fire their request to open source everything in the first place). There was not enough money to higher lawyers, so we did not fight it through. It was easier to just remove the GPL stuff and create it on our own. But it was a very bad experience and quite a high risk for the company. I would never ever advise anybody to include anything GPL in a project if he wants to sell a product. Never.

At least we can stop wondering why your installer or any TP Go Hacks are not included.
    Your 100% right - if they had no intentions of honoring the GPL license, they should have told me at the outset and that would have been that. I would have taken my fond memories of a really great meal and my white TouchPad and be done with it.

I don't think this is a GPL good vs bad argument. This is: I told them that if they wanted my help, it had to be GPL. They said yes and let the beta be released. Now they want to change the terms of the license - not cool.

Honestly - If they had just done a reasonable job of really rewriting my code - not just cloning pieces, you never would have seen my post - I would have been happy to see the community finally get this software. But that's not what happened and that's simply not right.
    pcworld and RumoredNow like this.
    Yes, sure, stealing from GPL code without mentioning the license is absolute no go and a blatant copy right infringement which can't be ignored. So your post is absolutely correct and I thank you for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    thanks for testing that, so I do not have to restore my Go :-D

I don't think that you need the doctor, just remove the autostart of ACL using Novaterm:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mv /etc/event.d/start-acl /home/root/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    You only have to fin the short timeframe when you can login, to execute the above, before the Go reboots again.

But it's a shame that they didn't included Rod's fix, so we have to do it by ourselves :-(

regards,

thg
    Thanks 'thg'.

But having also just read this from 'cuspie':

"..- I believe that you will find that at least two of the three modules that you have to patch to support the TouchPad Go are GPL code - at least they are so marked. If you look in the beta installer postinst GPL script, lines 136-138 test and install the TouchPad Go support. And, of course, given that these kernel mods are GPL - someone owes the community the source code!.."

I was so incensed that I just Doctored straight away and reinstalled the Preview anyway!

(It also appears that ACL V 1.0.1 will not uninstall correctly from the 10" Touchpads and leaves the Icons behind)

WE will work it out!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/19/2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: + Info.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    @ OM / PIC:

your Dropbox download of final com.openmobileww.acl_1.0.1_all.ipk is not working anymore:
    @PIC:

your support form linked from that mails second downloadlink is also down.

http://www.phxdevices.com/acl/contact

Code:
    Page not found

The requested page "/acl/contact" could not be found.