Page 85 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485868788899095 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mattzonthebeach View Post
    thx for ur $45,533! i'm at the beach but soon you can donate some new money to phoenix for a great new device with webos

Phoenix International Communications Wants to Bring Back HP€™s webOS | MIT Technology Review
    oh my, is that a link and a review that appears to show the owos port teams work as if it was PIC's own?

kinda reads that way, pretty old article, amazed i never saw it b4.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    oh my, is that a link and a review that appears to show the owos port teams work as if it was PIC's own?

If I remember it was an App running under Android of Open webOS, not running on bare metal hardware.
    now now, remember those of us who gave simple caution to others about almost every thing thats come to pass (or lack thereof) were flagged as bad ppl / trolls out to cause problems, as we were clearly in the wrong.

we should just continue the blind faith in silence to appease those that approach us with fire and pitchforks.

Having been one of those warners, I wonder if I should now play the "advocatus diaboli" again and therefore tell everyone to have patience? Just for fun?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    RumoredNow likes this.

Stop the hatred, please. It was a very different approach from the ports team. It was the approach to run luna on top of android as android app. The ports team never tried that. There was coverage about this approach by PIC on webOS Nation, back then... So I doubt a bit that you never saw it before, just forgot about it probably. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $nothing$ $really$ $came$ $from$ $that$ $approach$, $so$ $better$ $leave$ $it$ $forgotten$.

IMHO It's not necessary to drag unrelated things into this rantings here and make them worse than they are / were.
    I agree that PIC and OM should be clarify this.

May I also share my favorite sideloading method: I get my Android apps -- most of which work fine -- from the 1mobile.com since they are not available on the official OM App Mall.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Seems to me that OM has promised one thing to PIC, and then PIC has promised something far greater on the kick-starter.

Note that any issue with the kick starter is PIC's problem, not OM's.

It is ludicrous that OM would try and market a product which does not support sideloading, as that's the whole point of a compatibility layer. But that's beside the point, cause we should be getting answers and release dates from PIC here, not OM.

PIC is the entity that got the kick-starter money. PIC is the entity that wrote the kick-starter proposal. Any shortfall against promises made in that proposal are for PIC to answer.

So, I'm looking for a response to this issue from PIC, who have indeed been very quiet here lately.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod and all,

Hopefully, this will clarify the side loading debate. ACL for webOS TouchPad *does* allow you the ability to side load apps (APKs). Should you choose to use this method, nobody is preventing you from doing so. However, side loading apps that are not in the OpenMobile AppMall will not be supported by the OpenMobile support team should you encounter any problems using them. Those apps in the AppMall have been tested and qualified to be used with ACL.

Thanks for listening,

John
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    If I remember it was an App running under Android of Open webOS, not running on bare metal hardware.
    so it was much different to the earlier attempts which needed ubuntu as a crutch to startup?
    Quote Originally Posted by ederic View Post
    I agree that PIC and OM should be clarify this.

May I also share my favorite sideloading method: I get my Android apps -- most of which work fine -- from the 1mobile.com since they are not available on the official OM App Mall.
    a lot of people will be hesitant tho to sideload from non official sites, in the same way as it also tends to be just as big a risk on a pc.

in the same way that GMMan showed us how to keep the ipk's from installed apps does anyone know if android can do the same from google play store apps?
    a lot of people will be hesitant tho to sideload from non official sites, in the same way as it also tends to be just as big a risk on a pc.

in the same way that GMMan showed us how to keep the ipk's from installed apps does anyone know if android can do the same from google play store apps?
    The full APK is stored on the device, there are several utilities that will backup/restore them (I won't name them there are a lot)...

But if you want to pull the source if you root, /data/app holds all APK (fancy zips), stored locally you can copy them as it is a ZIP file to any location and then sideload...

If you moved to SDCARD you can move it back to local copy it then move back to SDCARD...

There is an extension for Chrome that let's you download apk's from Google Play to your computer. It requires a registered Android device to impersonate.

[Official] APK Downloader – Download APK files from Android Market to PC
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Not sure how you read it that way. The article clearly states that WebOS Ports is a different group and even links to the different domain and website.

I have no problem at all with that article. It didn't go anywhere, but there's nothing wrong with it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    There's even a site now where you can post the Play URL and it will generate the download URL, also from the same makers as the Chrome extension :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    For sideloading issues, is it ok for a company to loudly claim that their product allows you to sideload apps you get?
    Or that's something that even everyone knows you may and are able to do that but they need to keep their hands clean to prevent possible legal problems?
    Has anybody been able to get a refund out of these people? If so, how did you do it. Reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever pc game that took 3 years to finish and then was a **** when it finally did show .

<<mod edit for language>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 12/16/2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    There is an extension for Chrome that let's you download apk's from Google Play to your computer. It requires a registered Android device to impersonate.

[Official] APK Downloader – Download APK files from Android Market to PC
    Is the extension itsself safe to use, given that it wants your email/password etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The full APK is stored on the device, there are several utilities that will backup/restore them (I won't name them there are a lot)...

But if you want to pull the source if you root, /data/app holds all APK (fancy zips), stored locally you can copy them as it is a ZIP file to any location and then sideload...

If you moved to SDCARD you can move it back to local copy it then move back to SDCARD...
    ive seen the apk's stored there but wasnt sure if that was idd the whole package or just the executable portion minus the data thats typically stored elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_OM_Tech View Post
    Hi Rod and all,

Hopefully, this will clarify the side loading debate. ACL for webOS TouchPad *does* allow you the ability to side load apps (APKs). Should you choose to use this method, nobody is preventing you from doing so. However, side loading apps that are not in the OpenMobile AppMall will not be supported by the OpenMobile support team should you encounter any problems using them. Those apps in the AppMall have been tested and qualified to be used with ACL.

Thanks for listening,

John
    John, Thanks. Now how about clarifying whether ACL will install successfully on the TouchPad GO (unsupported of course),
    OR
    will each and every one of us who wants to run it unsupported on the TouchPad GO need to HACK our ACL installer file to implement Rod's fix which allows installation on a GO.

You've been dodging this one for a couple of weeks now, why not be straight with us?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by speter0001 View Post
    For sideloading issues, is it ok for a company to loudly claim that their product allows you to sideload apps you get?
    Or that's something that even everyone knows you may and are able to do that but they need to keep their hands clean to prevent possible legal problems?
    So far as the method described in my post... It does not allow you to download paid apps for free. I find it helpful for my Sony NSZ-GS7 set top box for Google TV. Not many Apps are marked compatible for G-TV so you sort of have to try sideloading to expand the box's capability.

One of the dangers of sideloading is that unknown sources dilemma. Is it skirting payment? Is it a virus in disquise? That's why most companies disclaim it or remain silent.

The Chrome extension keeps it above board. It's your Google account being registered as the recipient. You can't bypass payment. You are getting APKs from a trusted source.

Is the extension itsself safe to use, given that it wants your email/password etc?
    I recently went to Google 2 Step Verification and Application Specific Passwords. I consider it about as safe as Google gets. No one else should be able to log in as me. The Dev states he doesn't save log-in credentials - they are simply needed to enable the downloads and stay with you, the user.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    John, Thanks. Now how about clarifying whether ACL will install successfully on the TouchPad GO (unsupported of course),
    OR
    will each and every one of us who wants to run it unsupported on the TouchPad GO need to HACK our ACL installer file to implement Rod's fix which allows installation on a GO.

You've been dodging this one for a couple of weeks now, why not be straight with us?
    As mentioned previously, we (at OpenMobile) do not know whether ACL will install successfully on the TouchPad Go, as we do not have any of those devices in our inventory to confirm that. Our QA team has only tested ACL and AppMall on the larger form factor TouchPad running webOS 3.0.5, which is the supported tablet for this impending release.

Regarding you asking if it will be necessary to hack our ACL installer file so it runs on the Go is a loaded question. I don't know any software company that would condone hacking their product so it can be run on hardware that they haven't tested and qualified. We understand your eagerness to run ACL on TP GO, but from a support standpoint, we can only speak to what we have officially tested and qualified - and that is the TouchPad running webOS 3.0.5.

We hope you understand.

Thanks.

John
    OpenMobile Support Team
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    John,

Can you give a ballpark on "impending" as in merry Xmas or first quarter. I have been checking the Phoenix store and see that there have been several pre orders over the past few days.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4