Page 84 of 105 FirstFirst ... 34 747980818283848586878889 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steinhage View Post
    Werkelijk onbestaanbaar wat OM en PIC in dit project laten zien. Los van de afname van reeds 'betaalde' licenties, koopt er toch nooit meer iemand iets bij deze twee bedrijven? Hun ondergang komt in rap tempo dichterbij. Zonde, want onnodig.

Let us see if Google translate will help you with the above! :-)
    No. Google Translate produces nonsense (or at least does not convey your message/tone/meaning)
    steinhage likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_OM_Tech View Post
    ...We strongly encourage you to visit our Support Center, where we can respond to your technical issues, questions and concerns:

OpenMobile

It is our intent to grow our Support Center and make it a valuable resource for you going forward. You are welcomed and appreciated as an OpenMobile user, and our Support team looks forward to assisting you!
    Every click is an inflation of the "User Numbers" they will wave around at CES 2014.

Anyone feeling more "Used" and less "User?"

Anyone notice the tunnel vision which keeps John_OM_Tech from seeing all the requests for an estimated release date? It's only about 70-80% of the last few pages of this thread. I can see how that would be easy to miss...
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 12/14/2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Dadgummit typo... mumble mumble mumble
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Every click is an inflation of the "User Numbers" they will wave around at CES 2014.

Anyone feeling more "Used" and less "User?"

Anyone notice the tunnel vision which keeps John_OM_Tech from seeing all the requests for an estimated release date? It's only about 70-80% of the last few pages of this thread. I can see how that would be easy to miss...
    Hello everyone,

I have been reading your posts and rest assured, I am very aware that you all have been demanding a release date. Unfortunately, deciding on a release date is outside of the scope of my position (Support). All I've been told is, the release date is happening very soon as I mentioned in a previous comment. For up-to-date information on ACL for webOS Touchpad, including the release announcement, please feel free to sign up for our mailing list, here:

I'm interested in ACL for webOS!

Another thing I wanted to address. I mentioned the OpenMobile Support Center in advance because I wanted to let you all know where to go for help once ACL for webOS TouchPad is released. That alone should tell you we are very close to releasing this product. The choice is yours whether you would like to use it as a resource, but at least you know it is available to you and we are making a proactive effort to support ACL for webOS TouchPad.

Regards,

John
    I mentioned the OpenMobile Support Center in advance because I wanted to let you all know where to go for help once ACL for webOS TouchPad is released. That alone should tell you we are very close to releasing this product.
    Fair enough. A Christmas present would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinhage View Post
    Again?

Werkelijk onbestaanbaar wat OM en PIC in dit project laten zien. Los van de afname van reeds 'betaalde' licenties, koopt er toch nooit meer iemand iets bij deze twee bedrijven? Hun ondergang komt in rap tempo dichterbij. Zonde, want onnodig.

Let us see if Google translate will help you with the above! :-)
    Not helpful, you can as well encrypt your message and post here. Google translate only works for basic words, not really for opinions and other expressions. Try again in a few years ;-)

Here is my 'human' translation of your post:

Really unimaginable what OM and PIC are showcasing in this project. Beside the distribution of already 'sold" licenses, no one would ever buy something of these two companies? Their demise is closing in rapidly.
    A shame, because unnecessary.
    -end of translation-

I'm afraid they have some serious legal issues and they don't have a spokesperson who is able to navigate through those minefields. Now, some 'helpful' people jump in to at least break the deafening silence, but who can't provide any of the information we're really waiting for. I think the only thing we can do is wait until they solved their issues. Hope that will be before Christmas....
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Question for those of you that have tested ACL. I was reading the installation page but it says nothing about side loading any apps(apk's). Was any one able to load the google play store?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrv331 View Post
    Question for those of you that have tested ACL. I was reading the installation page but it says nothing about side loading any apps(apk's). Was any one able to load the google play store?

Thanks
    Hello jrv331,

Side loading apps was not mentioned in the documentation because we don't support it. Here is a FAQ that explains:

Can I side load apps (.apks) not obtained from OpenMobile AppMall? – OpenMobile

Thanks,

John
    Hello jrv331,

Side loading apps was not mentioned in the documentation because we don't support it. Here is a FAQ that explains:

Can I side load apps (.apks) not obtained from OpenMobile AppMall? €“ OpenMobile

Thanks,

John
    Doesn't this directly contradict the FAQ on the ACL Kickstarter page that states "In addition to this, users will also have the ability to sideload Apps"?

In addition the next 2 FAQs on the Kickstarter page goes into more details about how you can sideload a 3rd party store (like Amazon) and download apps through there.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 12/15/2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Doesn't this directly contradict the FAQ on the ACL Kickstarter page that states "In addition to this, users will also have the ability to sideload Apps"?

In addition the next 2 FAQs on the Kickstarter page goes into more details about how you can sideload a 3rd party store (like Amazon) and download apps through there.

What he means is that if you have trouble because of a side loaded app, OMWW won't provide the support for you. Side loading is at your own risk. You still have the ability to do so, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/18/2013 at 07:34 PM.
    "I'm just here so I don't get fined." -Marshawn Lynch
    Quote Originally Posted by brandongoeszoom View Post
    What he means is that if you have trouble because of a side loaded app, OMWW won't provide the support for you. Side loading is at your own risk. You still have the ability to do so, though.

No where in the Kickstarter FAQ (Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications €” Kickstarter) does it state this is a "use at your own risk" feature. It implies it's a standard feature and thus would be supported.

In fact it's emphasized that users will be able to get any app they want by using the sideload method (either sideloading individual apps or sideloading another app store). This feature really is one of the major selling points of ACL on this Kickstarter project. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a major contributing factor in people's decisions to back the project.

OM and PIC better provide support for this feature that was (and still is) advertised on the Kickstarter project page. Not doing so would be dishonest.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 12/15/2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    @John, I know its not supported, I was interested if any one in the group has done it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    No where in the Kickstarter FAQ (Run Android Apps in webOS on the HP Touchpad by Phoenix International Communications €” Kickstarter) does it state this is a "use at your own risk" feature. It implies it's a standard feature and thus would be supported.

In fact it's emphasized that users will be able to get any app they want by using the sideload method (either sideloading individual apps or sideloading another app store). This feature really is one of the major selling points of ACL on this Kickstarter project. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a major contributing factor in people's decisions to back the project.

Back peddling now (with this new OM FAQ that was submitted to the OM site today) is pretty shady.

I'm just the messenger, so bear with me. But you're correct. This was probably one of the, if not only, contributing factors in the backing and purchase of this software (it was for me). So, I'm talking to my higher-ups now who will talk to OM and see what we can do.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/18/2013 at 07:34 PM.
    "I'm just here so I don't get fined." -Marshawn Lynch
    It's looking like the only thing officially supported by OM at this point is banking the order money sent in.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I'm just the messenger, so bear with me. But you're correct. This was probably one of the, if not only, contributing factors in the backing and purchase of this software (it was for me). So, I'm talking to my higher-ups now who will talk to OM and see what we can do.

Remind your colleagues at OM that the people who backed the Kickstarter project would have every right to report this to Kickstarter and demand a refund if this major feature is not fully supported by OM and PIC. If OM has any desire to create a thriving business from ACL, they'll keep the promises documented in the Kickstarter project. And at the very least, they better post a modified release date very soon and then stick to it.

OM/PIC are now 5 months behind the original release date, 3 months behind their modified release date, and still have no new release date documented for 3 months. All of this is already going to scare off potential new ACL licensing customers (OEMs, phone manufacturers, etc.). Breaking promises (ex. not supporting sideloading apps) is only going to make things worse for OM.

P.S. On a side note, I find it extremely unprofessional to continue to accept pre-orders for ACL without having a new release date documented. Anyone who is pre-ordering now is foolish, but OM/PIC should really not be doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrv331 View Post

Thanks
    Hello jrv331,

Can I side load apps (.apks) not obtained from OpenMobile AppMall? €“ OpenMobile

Thanks,

John
    Although they want to not support Google Market/Side Loaded Apps, with the Alpha release we were able to install an older version of gingerbread market:

Google market and Amazon apps for ACL

Once they release the full version, I am sure we will be able to continue to do such... Although I agree OM has every right to make as much money off of users as they wish (this is the commerce way), it is also a consumer way to get as much as we can from our original purchase...

In other words once they produce the release, nobody can stop us from patching the release, or altering it in any way (as long as we do not violate copyrights, we can not post altered sources, but we can produce scripts to modify)...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    In other words once they produce the release, nobody can stop us from patching the release, or altering it in any way (as long as we do not violate copyrights, we can not post altered sources, but we can produce scripts to modify)...
    It would be nice if webOS users could have webOS version of Snap, a Google Play browser app. Blackberry 10 users running BB OS 10.2.1.1055 leaked rom can browse, download and install any free Android app from Google Play via Snap.
  17. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    but anyway, for me it is the best way to get my apps on it, because I do not need an other app store on my TouchPad and I have all the APKs saved on my computer!

Regards, thg
    Hello jrv331,

Can I side load apps (.apks) not obtained from OpenMobile AppMall? – OpenMobile

Thanks,

John
    Seems to me that OM has promised one thing to PIC, and then PIC has promised something far greater on the kick-starter.

Note that any issue with the kick starter is PIC's problem, not OM's.

It is ludicrous that OM would try and market a product which does not support sideloading, as that's the whole point of a compatibility layer. But that's beside the point, cause we should be getting answers and release dates from PIC here, not OM.

PIC is the entity that got the kick-starter money. PIC is the entity that wrote the kick-starter proposal. Any shortfall against promises made in that proposal are for PIC to answer.

So, I'm looking for a response to this issue from PIC, who have indeed been very quiet here lately.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    thx for ur $45,533! i'm at the beach but soon you can donate some new money to phoenix for a great new device with webos

Phoenix International Communications Wants to Bring Back HP’s webOS | MIT Technology Review
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    It's looking like the only thing officially supported by OM at this point is banking the order money sent in.
    now now, remember those of us who gave simple caution to others about almost every thing thats come to pass (or lack thereof) were flagged as bad ppl / trolls out to cause problems, as we were clearly in the wrong.

we should just continue the blind faith in silence to appease those that approach us with fire and pitchforks.

Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    RumoredNow and cuspie like this.