Page 82 of 105 FirstFirst ... 32 727778798081828384858687 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Color me confused. But I too just got a kick starter email asking for a 'physical' delivery address for my two ACL licenses. Why would they need a 'physical' address? And will I not get my licenses if I do not provide a physical address?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Color me confused. But I too just got a kick starter email asking for a 'physical' delivery address for my two ACL licenses. Why would they need a 'physical' address? And will I not get my licenses if I do not provide a physical address?
    Maybe they're going to send us t-shirts?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Or maybe they have a new deal with a junk-mail marketer.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Preemptive
    Wow! Coincidence or is Brandon the go to guy if you want results? ;-)

Just noticed what might be an important deadline for OM...
    2014 International CES® Exhibitor Details - OpenMobile World Wide, Inc.
    Time will tell ;-)
    Interesting indeed...

I have to believe that OM is motivated to get this delivered, because it is the proof that they need if they intend to continue to make a business case for their product. ACL for webOS is their only product to date. If they can't pull this off, they will be unlikely to continue operating, because they have no other delivered product. I don't know how their company has maintained so far. I don't know how they've been financed, or what their investors expect, and I sense that they probably don't have any major, permanent infrastructure to maintain, otherwise they would not continue to exist as a conventional business. But they have an idea, skeleton software, and access to the resources necessary to flesh it out as contracted (I still assume).
    And I have to believe that they realize that this deal is a critical step for them to provide a deliverable product, and give themselves the credibility to pursue their future by proving that they can deliver their product. Webos may be a loss leader, but without that, I would think they must realize that their prospects will be even slimmer if this doesn't get delivered.

And also, Kudos to Brandon for taking the initiative, and making a sincere effort to try to support our needs, regardless of his role in the hierarchy. I'm plenty familiar with corporate culture and the ways that management can alienate the people that provide the touchpoints to their organization. People like him create the relationships that make a company worthy of their customer's support. People like him make the difference, the way the dev relations team for Palm/HP kept us engaged and supported us during the the crazy shenanigans that HP put us through. I applaud you Brandon, and I can see that you care about your customers, and are willing to represent your customers and make sure our voices are heard.
    You have all my respect Brandon.
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Per Touchpad of cour$e!

normal app cat software works on any number of touchpads as long as they use the same login details, dunno how this would work tho.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Just got a kick starter email asking for a physical delivery address for two ACL licenses.

-- Rod
    yup, same here, bit weird when i selected a digital download version only with no spangly extras, i dont know if thsi is normal for other "digital" stuff as other projects ive funded are still work in progress, only a "physical" product that actually needed a delivery address has given me that previously.

maybe its finalising something needed on kickstarter or is this the prelude to announcing a concrete working non alpha/beta?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    A Sincere Letter of Apology needs a physical address...

Good to see something happening with the delivery of ACL. Feels like getting an email that your product's shipping label is going to be printed.

And just a small shout out to PivotCE. Thanks for the news.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    and again bad communication: instead of telling us that a mail will arrive and why the physical adress is needed for a software licence, they just stay calm.
    Nothing here, nothing on their website, nothing in their forum.

chance missed again.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Do they want it to sell to spammers?
    Following this forum is like following a soap opera.

Good guys, bad guys, secrecy, rumour, mystery benefactors, pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's all here.

When I first heard about this software I decided straight away I would buy it.

However, after the long wait I've decided I won't bother (just bought another android tablet).

How badly can a project be managed?

I have seen the argument that some other kickstarters are just as bad, but that is no excuse for this debacle.

I also get the argument that PIC might be under some kind of gagging order until legal issues are resolved.

But these are clever people, how difficult can it be for them to craft carefully worded progress reports that keep their user base informed whilst steering clear of any legal pitfalls?

Not very difficult in my view.

This 'physical address' malarkey is plain weird. Why do they need it?

I will keep following the saga. Good luck chaps!
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Hi John,

thank you very much for your answer and you can be sure, that no one in this forum expects any (official) support for ACL on the TP Go.

But the question for us is, will it just not be supported and will it work as it worked with ACL 0.6 or will you block it in any way actively? Rod created a solution for the installer by PIC, that it can be installed on the Go too, will this be included in the GA too?

Thanks a lot,

regards,

thg
    Hello thg and all,

From my understanding speaking with colleagues here at OpenMobile, we can't predict or guarantee how the officially released ACL for webOS TouchPad installer will work when installed on the TouchPad Go. I say that in all honestly because:

1) We are not supporting TouchPad Go, therefore are not investing the time required to test and qualify the release installer on that hardware and OS. All of our focus is on the platform ACL webOS was developed for - and that is the TouchPad.

2) As I mentioned previously, we do not have any TouchPad Go tablets here to conduct such qualifying testing with even if we wanted to.

We realize you are fans of TouchPad Go and we certainly can't stop you from trying to install ACL for webOS on it. However, doing so would be at your own risk, meaning if you encounter any technical problems, we would not be able to provide support for it.

I wish I could give you more info than that but I just don't have it. What I can tell you is this will be a new installer and a new version of ACL for webOS than what you have previously been exposed to in beta. Several issues have been fixed for the new release and we are hoping you will be pleased with the outcome.

Going forward, I will do what I can to address your questions and concerns. If you don't hear from me right away it is because we are very busy presently; your patience is appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Visit our Support Center!
    OpenMobile
    Well, from what I've been told, the physical address is not required, just optional. It's a survey from Kickstarter. But you'll still receive your ACL license since it's digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm just here so I don't get fined." -Marshawn Lynch
    john send in another guy from sales to point out the "physical adress" issue on kickstarter.

oh well let's see if this works, i complied some of your postings and send them to OM:

Request received: Physical Adress in Kickstarter project needed?

Your request (64) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff. We will contact you within two business days.

To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Opensuppor

Opensupport Openmobileww Com

Dec 10 10:30 (EST)

PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL

Or maybe they have a new deal with a junk-mail marketer.

yup, same here, bit weird when i selected a digital download version only with no spangly extras, i dont know if thsi is normal for other "digital" stuff as other projects ive funded are still work in progress, only a "physical" product that actually needed a delivery address has given me that previously.
    ]
    This email is a service from OpenMobile Support. Delivered by Zendesk.
    Message-Id:VJ9TN24A_52a733a3b8535_7a943f90eb6c47a41494a0_sprut
    [Update: oh well OK brandongoeszoom answered]
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    john send in another guy from sales to point out the "physical adress" issue on kickstarter.

oh well let's see if this works, i complied some of your postings and send them to OM:

[Update: oh well OK brandongoeszoom answered]
    Hello gizmo21,

Brandon from PIC explained what the physical mail address is for in post #1632.

Thanks,

John
    Alan Morford likes this.
  15. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_OM_Tech View Post
    We realize you are fans of TouchPad Go and we certainly can't stop you from trying to install ACL for webOS on it. However, doing so would be at your own risk, meaning if you encounter any technical problems, we would not be able to provide support for it.
    if you do not intend to actively block the Go everything is fine.

PIC can implement the installer that also works on the Go, may be with a warning that the Go is not supported by ACL and most people will be happy - either it works or not (while I expect that it will work as with ACL 0.6).

An other question that still is not answered:
    Will location services work with the TP (wifi) and TP-4G (wifi+gps), so that you can use maps and other stuff that needs it?
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    if you do not intend to actively block the Go everything is fine.

PIC can implement the installer that also works on the Go, may be with a warning that the Go is not supported by ACL and most people will be happy - either it works or not (while I expect that it will work as with ACL 0.6).

An other question that still is not answered:
    Will location services work with the TP (wifi) and TP-4G (wifi+gps), so that you can use maps and other stuff that needs it?
    I suspect the Go will not actively be supported by OMWW, because the modules refer to "tenderloin" and not to "shortloin". PIC fixed this based on the data from Rod Whitby. I don't know if this will make it in the final release, but I can think of OMWW not being happy with PIC modifying the core of ACL somehow?

That doesn't mean that those modules cannot be patched to get it working on the Go again. It's a quite easy and small fix, but I personally don't expect it to be coming from OMWW (or PIC), but rather from the community.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I stil haven't received my t-shirt although having supplied my address months ago.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    I got a second reminder from Kickstarter to provide my postal address to PIC to deliver two ACL licenses.

You would think that Brandon from PIC or John from OM would have alerted whoever is running the kickstarter that it is sending requests for postal addresses to people who are not expecting any physical item to be delivered, and who may consider it a privacy issue to provide a postal address in that circumstance.

I personally shall not be responding to that request for postal details that are not actually required. We'll wait to see whether that causes the licenses not to be delivered electronically ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I got a second reminder from Kickstarter to provide my postal address to PIC to deliver two ACL licenses.

You would think that Brandon from PIC or John from OM would have alerted whoever is running the kickstarter that it is sending requests for postal addresses to people who are not expecting any physical item to be delivered, and who may consider it a privacy issue to provide a postal address in that circumstance.

I personally shall not be responding to that request for postal details that are not actually required. We'll wait to see whether that causes the licenses not to be delivered electronically ...

-- Rod
    A survey from the kickstarter platform itself without questions, just the postsl adress? Not likley.

it rather seems as it is the standard survey for projectstarters: look at kickstsrter FAQs for backers and projects.

So again if PIC launched this survey why don't they say that. If they launched why do they need our adresses if many only have digital licence pledges? Or are they just not able to use the kickstarterplatform correctly?
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I got a notice in the mail confirming our address. It was to mail us the uber cheap gifts from the pledge level we had. This was months ago.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X