Page 80 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    PIC just shipped my TouchPad 4G.
    Im a little late to the game so can you tell me what this means for some one waiting for the release of ACL purchased through the online store.

Im currently in the process of disputing my purchase with my CC and if its good news then I'll cancel the dispute.
    Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    PIC just shipped my TouchPad 4G.
    You mean this one?
    Sweet....

Start from Scratch! Get a Brand New 4G Touchpad already loaded up with the latest ACL, and 5 of your favorite apps. To round out the package you will also get an extra copy of ACL for your other Touchpad, the Phoenix LED flashlight, a Limited Edition Phoenix T-shirt, a letter of unimaginable appreciation for supporting us and making this project possible, and your name goes down in our hall of fame as project supporter on out website.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I am throwing in the towel with ACL. The only app that I actually cared for was Netflix that I have been able to install successfully. I have not been able to get the Amazon app store to stay and every time it disappears, the associated apps stop working. The default app store is lacking to say the least. When just about any app working ACL was sluggesh. The only modern browser I can install is Opera Mini.

What made me to throw in the towel was an attempt by some one trying to gain access to my Google account.. It happened when I was trying to install some more apps via ACL. The timing was just to hard to pass up.

So I have upgraded my cyanogen install to 10.1With a fresh install. Unless ACL works its growing pains and I am convinced that the attempts to hacking to my Google account, I'll have to move on to my android install.
    Last edited by imurrx; 12/05/2013 at 11:27 PM.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    I am throwing in the towel with ACL. The only app that I actually cared for was Netflix that I have been able to install successfully. I have not been able to get the Amazon app store to stay and every time it disappears, the associated apps stop working. The default app store is lacking to say the least. When just about any app working ACL was sluggesh. The only modern browser I can install is Opera Mini.

What made me to throw in the towel was an attempt by some one trying to gain access to my Google account.. It happened when I was trying to install some more apps via ACL. The timing was just to hard to pass up.

So I have upgraded my cyanogen install to 10.1With a fresh install. Unless ACL works its growing pains and I am convinced that the attempts to hacking to my Google account, I'll have to move on to my android install.
    I uninstalled ACL on my TouchPad Go yesterday. I never thought it would happen after all the work I put into sideloading and testing all the apps I was interested in. I couldn't get the tablet into USB mode to put some new music on there despite several reboots and even Wi-Fi File Transfer wouldn't start.

I was just tired of not being able to use certain webOS apps, ACL stealing audio, and waiting for another better version to update to. After I uninstalled it everything immediately became more responsive and stable.

Whenever/if another version of ACL is released I will try it again and hope it's better but for now it's nice to have a much better webOS experience without all the issues.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    I uninstalled ACL on my TouchPad Go yesterday. I never thought it would happen after all the work I put into sideloading and testing all the apps I was interested in. I couldn't get the tablet into USB mode to put some new music on there despite several reboots and even Wi-Fi File Transfer wouldn't start.

I was just tired of not being able to use certain webOS apps, ACL stealing audio, and waiting for another better version to update to. After I uninstalled it everything immediately became more responsive and stable.

Whenever/if another version of ACL is released I will try it again and hope it's better but for now it's nice to have a much better webOS experience without all the issues.
    How did you get it installed? If you go to their site to "pre-order" do they let you download it in beta?
    Some of this is due to the negative attitudes to OM's old statements. I've remarked elsewhere in this forum that no one was asked for or paid money, yet acted like OM were fraudsters - it was BAD MARKETING. The kickstarter HAS asked for money, but the rules are clear: It's an investment, it's a risk. It's not a purchase. Plenty of others didn't even get this far.

I recall seeing an article on some other site some months ago, where a guy from PIC complained about the lack of appreciation. They are afterall, trying to support a 'zombie' OS. There are also trying to make a commercial business out of it, to which I say, "Good luck". I doubt their chances, but without some commercial interest, webOS will remain a hackers toy.

Just one of the obstacles to the webOS port will be lack of apps - even less than the legacy version. In the short, medium, even long term the only viable solution I can see is cross platform or emulation/compatibility layer software. No amount of elegance will gain traction for the port beyond it's developers unless it's actually useful to the general user - that means apps. webOS-Ports have already put in a lot of work and when they eventually deliver, the platform may need some kind of ACL to get broader traction.

The ACL is not vapourware - there are people on this forum who have reported their experiences with early versions. There is no guarantee of final release, but if there is no release, then PIC are done. OM might try to find other platforms, but clear failure here will only compound their lack of success to date: Game Over.

The crappy communication continues and I don't excuse it. I imagine and hope that everyone at the ACL 'factory' is desperately working all hours to get the thing out of the door, but it still only takes a few minutes to post an honest update on some relevant site somewhere. However, I say that we may as well continue to support this initiative until it's 100% clear that it won't arrive, ever. Few things in the world of webOS have arrived on time, but there are projects making slow progress. The wagon is rolling. Your exits are here & here, but if you want webOS, you're going to have to take the bumpy ride to the end of the line.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/06/2013 at 07:37 AM.
    hulickr likes this.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    The lack of communication was an issue and the time spend waiting was not a problem either.

The whole eduction was not a great but combine that with the very whining that happens typically online it sorrels disaster.

Now the who zombie issue, I had the same expectation that I did when I built my frankenprē 2 after Palm was killed off by HP none months earlier. The directions and the install and doing the whole DIY was not that difficult. Even install of Android was not that bad. In fact, running CyanogenMod from the beginning to now has been a bumpy road but but it was well lit.

My biggest fear was the attempt on something may have gotten on and acted as a Trojan and stole my accounts and password. The running was to hard to dismiss.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    @MudShark22: Yes, that's the one.

But: PIC told me that the device was still in its original box and never touched and asked me, if they should open it and install the stuff, or if I want to do it myself. I very much like unboxing new stuff (it's the best about buying stuff, isn't it?), so I told them to not open it up. So, we come to the next question:
    Quote Originally Posted by jrv331 View Post
    Im a little late to the game so can you tell me what this means for some one waiting for the release of ACL purchased through the online store.
    It only means that I will get a TouchPad 4G in the next days and someone at PIC is alive. As I told them not to open it, it will be shipped without installed software. I did not hear from them about a release of ACL or anything. So the shipping of the device in fact does not mean anything about the ACL release date.

Nonetheless, I hope that it is sooner than later. But I don't have a clue.

On a side note I don't get why there is so much complain about things not 100% working with ACL. You installed a pre-release, some even a pre-beta, version of the software. Don't be surprised that it's not working out everywhere. The last few details are always the stuff that takes up the most time (and working out the kinks is the most exhausting part). Sure, uninstall the unfinished software, if there are errors you can't stand and keep on using your device like before... but all that bashing is a bit over the top.

You can start that when ACL finally is officially released.
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    How did you get it installed? If you go to their site to "pre-order" do they let you download it in beta?
    I got the special preview from backing the Kickstarter.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I fully agree with Garfonso and Preemptive. The Kickstarter backers were not 'purchasing' a copy - although "Get a copy of the ACL software when it is released on the market" does at least indicate a final product will appear and could this phrasing be construed as a binding contract? The only question would be over the date of release which has been hinted at but has it ever really been 'written in stone'?

So, be thankful for what we have had so far. It is more than a lot of users had expected, but also less . . . Pre-release & beta are just that - not ready yet. There will be bugs. Things will not work. It may bork your Touchpad. We all know this and still complain. Why? Because we want it to work.

PIC/OM want it to work too, they just have to do the work. Their only real failing is the lack of communication and the false hope of a release they have given (on more than 1 occasion).

I will wait (semi) patiently both for the official release and for the currently installed ACL apps to finally open after I touch them. I know it isn't perfect and probably never will be but until another webOS type OS is released with new hardware I know this is the best compromise I will have.
    i don't complain about the bugs in the pre-release (which was way a post-release, speaking of the original release date)

i complain about:
    - continious delay (july was set release for kickstarter)
    - lack of communication
    - serveral busted release dates (if delay itself would not be complainable with a kickstarter project)
    - lack of communication
    - and lack of communication
    cbosdell and Paul_D like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    the Go is not supported by ACL, as they stated in their last comment.

Nobody knows if it will work anyway or if it is blocked, but on the 0.6.0-5 I tried out, the Go was working similar to the TP-64, not yet good enough for daily use, but could be improved!
    Hello,

John here from OpenMobile. You are correct, ACL on the TouchPad Go is not supported. I'd like to follow that up by saying we appreciate that the TouchPad Go has a very passionate and loyal group of users. In fact, the people who managed to get their hands on these tablets were very lucky considering the manufacturer pulled the plug on this hardware before it ever got launched. Unfortunately, this resulted in an unreleased product that would be unrealistic for us to develop ACL for. Combine that with the fact that this hardware was not mass produced and there aren't many of these tablets out there. Even if we did intend to develop and qualify ACL apps for the webOS TouchPad Go, we wouldn’t have access to enough of the devices needed for our development and quality assurance teams to use.

I hope that helps clarify why ACL for TouchPad Go is not supported.

We appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

John
  13. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by John_OM_Tech View Post
    thank you very much for your answer and you can be sure, that no one in this forum expects any (official) support for ACL on the TP Go.

But the question for us is, will it just not be supported and will it work as it worked with ACL 0.6 or will you block it in any way actively? Rod created a solution for the installer by PIC, that it can be installed on the Go too, will this be included in the GA too?

Thanks a lot,

regards,

thg
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Hi John,

thank you very much for your answer and you can be sure, that no one in this forum expects any (official) support for ACL on the TP Go.

But the question for us is, will it just not be supported and will it work as it worked with ACL 0.6 or will you block it in any way actively? Rod created a solution for the installer by PIC, that it can be installed on the Go too, will this be included in the GA too?

Thanks a lot,

regards,

thg
    +1. Exactly. Precisely. Spot ON. This is THE key 'Go' ACL question.

'John_OM_Tech'.. what is the full story regarding TP Go 'unofficial' support then, please?
    Are you intending to leave as is (viz. 0.6.0.5) which INcluded Rod's Go enabling script or NOT?
    Please clarify here.
    There are probably greater numbers of TP Go owner/operators running on webOS 3.0.X. than you think!
    You so far hold our best hope of accessing Android on these rare and lovely devices.. 'officially' or otherwise!
    So please don't just shut us out, but also enlighten us as to OM's full intent here.
    I am sure there is someone here who would lend you a Go device on which to play, if it was felt neccessary!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/07/2013 at 05:48 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    I'm adding my 2 cents worth on the Touchpad Go. Guys at PIC it's just a very simple statement that you've made that TP go- will not be supported. I think that is fair. As for whether Rod's codes will stay in there? there are 2 ways out of the mess.

1. This i think might be the easier method. Say that the code will not be inside -as it creates a new set of variables into testing - this is what I think would be the simplest way out. However post on the site a patch or a version that has the code inside. This way those who decide to install it on the TP GO will know explicitly that the TP go is not supported on ACL - and PIC nor OM will be responsible.

2.Say the code stays inside the software but is not supported. This would also mean your FAQ on support must be explicit in stating that the TP go is not supported eventhough you can install it. Of course those of us with TP go would go buy it and install it with the understanding that not everything is supported etc etc.

besides that I might suggest to ACL to do the following.
    a. release the most stable release as v1.0. with a list of applications most probably supported. I think most of us do not really need all apps supported and maybe if there is enough licensees - e.g the Openwebos (is one possibility) then the gates will pour open. You can then release say a v1.1 with other improved compatibilities and new features and extend it to your own marketplace.

For the rest of us - including myself; I support the initiative; watching on the sidelines quietly cheering the possibility and hoping.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_OM_Tech View Post
    Hello,

John here from OpenMobile. You are correct, ACL on the TouchPad Go is not supported. I'd like to follow that up by saying we appreciate that the TouchPad Go has a very passionate and loyal group of users. In fact, the people who managed to get their hands on these tablets were very lucky considering the manufacturer pulled the plug on this hardware before it ever got launched. Unfortunately, this resulted in an unreleased product that would be unrealistic for us to develop ACL for. Combine that with the fact that this hardware was not mass produced and there aren't many of these tablets out there. Even if we did intend to develop and qualify ACL apps for the webOS TouchPad Go, we wouldn’t have access to enough of the devices needed for our development and quality assurance teams to use.

We appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

John
    It is unbelievable that this post did not include a progress report!
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It is unbelievable that this post did not include a progress report!
    Given past history, is it really?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    What kind of progress report do you want? "Yes we're still working on the software. No it's not ready yet. I don't know when it will be ready, sorry."

They've tried giving estimates and shot themselves in the foot every time so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Given past history, is it really?
    You are right. I should have said incredible as in "so extraordinary as to seem impossible"
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    If its a "licensing" issue, could it be they were waiting to show (HP? LG?) a beta test in order to get their attention to negotiate licensing. Or alternatively HP/LG did not take them seriously until the beta test proved out and now they have to negotiate licensing?
    If so, there is some possibility that they will not come to agreement and this product will never be officially released.
    On the other hand, you might think LG would want this technology to support their tv but who knows?

As an aside, Herrie if you want a Veer I will donate one of mine to you as a gesture of support to webos-ports.
    Just em me--you may have to pay intl shipping, not sure what the cost would be.