Page 77 of 105 FirstFirst ... 27 677273747576777879808182 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Funny thing is, that here they are saying "we don't discuss this here, please join our own forum" ... but there they don't discuss that either (see: Release for Paypal Backers/Preorders | PIC - Phoenix International Communications )

So little to discuss?

Well, I see christmas. I see cheap tablets on the market and I see people opting to get one (or getting one as a present) and therefore putting the Touchpad out of commission. There will be less and less customers who will buy ACL.
    I strongly recommend them to bring out a finalized version quickly.
    see ! not that i implied that scenario yesterday or anything !
    I gave my Touchpad to my mother a year ago in Germany before she flew back to South Africa.
    I paid for ACL so that it could unlock Android apps for my mother.
    I am going to visit my mother in South Africa for a holiday in December to early January. I planned to install ACL on my mother's touchpad.
    ACL was due to be released in August.
    Plenty of time I thought. This was in June.
    Then it was delayed to September.
    Plenty of time I thought
    Then I heard nothing.
    Now it is November and I seriously wonder if it will even be released before I fly back to Germany in January!
    If it isn't released before I return to Germany then my mother will have to wait another YEAR before I return again to install the app that was supposed to come out months and months ago.
    And all PIC has said over the last few months is that the release is imminent!
    I am a patient person but I have almost lost it now.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Damianklop View Post
    And all PIC has said over the last few months is that the release is imminent!
    Anita from OM gave a more hopeful release date of "early next week" about 2 weeks ago, but that has been and gone. I suppose we're back to "imminent" now.
    Ben
    Daniel Giovannetti (OpenMobile Support)

Nov 21 17:01 (EST)

Dear Phoenix customer,

My name is Dan and I'm working closely with OpenMobile support to address your concern about ACL for webOS. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in public release of OpenMobile ACL for webOS. Believe it or not, the official release date of ACL for webOS is imminent - development teams here at PIC and at OpenMobile are just putting the finishing touches on the final market release build. Please rest assured as we are certain that you will be happy with the final product. We would hate to release anything less than perfect to loyal and excited customers like yourself!

PIC cannot thank you enough for your continued support and we are just as excited as you are for the release of ACL for webOS. Upon launch date, you will receive notification that ACL for webOS is available for download and you will receive an email with all information to get it installed on your amazing webOS TouchPad. At that point you will be able to start using all your favorite Android apps on your TouchPad!

Thank you again for your patience!

PIC Team

This came to me from Daniel Giovannetti (OpenMobile Support)
    after I complained about the many " imminent " cons we have been given.

I really don't think this product will ever be ready.
    Depends on how you define "ready".

As there have already been prerelease versions delivered to customers, I think we WILL get something. It might probably not be what we want (i.e. no Uberkernel atm).
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Depends on how you define "ready".

As there have already been prerelease versions delivered to customers, I think we WILL get something. It might probably not be what we want (i.e. no Uberkernel atm).
    I think that all we can reasonably ask is that it a) doesn't break official apps from the catalog (kalemsoft) and b) works - then we should be happy - for now. Once UberKernel support is implemented and the lag has reduced (disappeared?) THEN it will be a complete program and they can start making an updated build based on ICS or JB.

First and foremost it MUST be released and following on from the pre-release testing, updates should address any new problems in the release build.
    mmervine likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    I think that all we can reasonably ask is that it a) doesn't break official apps from the catalog (kalemsoft) and b) works - then we should be happy - for now. Once UberKernel support is implemented and the lag has reduced (disappeared?) THEN it will be a complete program and they can start making an updated build based on ICS or JB.

First and foremost it MUST be released and following on from the pre-release testing, updates should address any new problems in the release build.
    Exactly. 100% agree.
  8. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Every day there is no ACL release I get more depressed. It's like heading out to sea on a "slow boat to **ina".

Hopefully ACL will arrive before the slow boat reaches port.
    I really think you should see all this much, much more relaxed.

And ACL will not change our "webOS-experience" overall, it is still a system with a lot of limitations ...
  9. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Damianklop View Post
    If it isn't released before I return to Germany then my mother will have to wait another YEAR before I return again to install the app that was supposed to come out months and months ago.
    in my opinion your mom should not need ACL at all, either she has everything on webOS she needs, or you should install CM9/10 to give her the apps she really wants and needs.

I do not think, that ACL will be reliable enough for such a use case, I still expect, that it will make webOS less stable overall, many apps will no work, probably you have to sideload/install needed apps and automatic update will not work as on Android.

And it may come in the next week(s), or it may not come, nobody really knows (I think even PIC/OM does not know this for sure).

Regards,

thg
    While I know OM/PIC have said there is no official support for uberkernel the 060--5 works with it. You guys know that right? Its not that it doesn't work with uberkernel (at least the pre release) its that there isn't official support for it...
    i can certainly understand wanting to iron out as many bugs as they can before release. It would be awful if the gen-pop installed it, found something wrong and lost faith in it. A first impression is pretty important when something is long-anticipated. I can certainly "hear" someone over there saying "they've waited X months, they can wait another week to get this right." And that can happen each time they find some other bug.

That said, I've got the expectation that I'll be able to run webOS 3.0.5, and launch android apps from within it. If I can't play Words with Friends while still using all my webOS apps (messaging, email, etc) then it's not worth it. That's why I haven't bothered to load CM9.

My TP32 and I are waiting patiently. It's not like we have anything else to look forward to. But if they want Christmas sales this year, they better hustle.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    i can certainly understand wanting to iron out as many bugs as they can before release. It would be awful if the gen-pop installed it, found something wrong and lost faith in it. A first impression is pretty important when something is long-anticipated. I can certainly "hear" someone over there saying "they've waited X months, they can wait another week to get this right." And that can happen each time they find some other bug.

That said, I've got the expectation that I'll be able to run webOS 3.0.5, and launch android apps from within it. If I can't play Words with Friends while still using all my webOS apps (messaging, email, etc) then it's not worth it. That's why I haven't bothered to load CM9.

My TP32 and I are waiting patiently. It's not like we have anything else to look forward to. But if they want Christmas sales this year, they better hustle.
    Unfortunately, the Words With Friends Android app is such garbage, it doesn't matter if you install CM7, CM9, CM10, whatever, or if you go out and buy a device that comes with Android stock, you're still not going to be able to play it. At least, not if you're used to using the iOS or Facebook versions of Words with Friends.

Good god, the Android tablet version of WWF ----sucks-----
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Unfortunately, the Words With Friends Android app is such garbage, it doesn't matter if you install CM7, CM9, CM10, whatever, or if you go out and buy a device that comes with Android stock, you're still not going to be able to play it. At least, not if you're used to using the iOS or Facebook versions of Words with Friends.

Good god, the Android tablet version of WWF ----sucks-----
    Sad but true, that is one game I only played on my phone.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    While I know OM/PIC have said there is no official support for uberkernel the 060--5 works with it. You guys know that right? Its not that it doesn't work with uberkernel (at least the pre release) its that there isn't official support for it...
    Not only does the PIC installer (version 0.6.0-4), check for UberKernel, if it is present it uses the ext4 file system instead of the default ext3 file system...

Here is the problem, if you install UberKernel, then install ACL, then remove UberKernel, ACL would break as the default HP/Palm kernel does not handle ext4 only ext3.

So be careful not to uninstall the Kernel (or allow webOS to update itself to bring back the original kernel), although I have not seen a thread about phantom webOS 3.0.5 installs of webOS 3.0.5, like we have with webOS 2.1.x).

So although OM might say there is not support for UberKernel, the installer is designed to look for it and does do things differently depending on it being there...
    Not only does the PIC installer (version 0.6.0-4), check for UberKernel, if it is present it uses the ext4 file system instead of the default ext3 file system...

Here is the problem, if you install UberKernel, then install ACL, then remove UberKernel, ACL would break as the default HP/Palm kernel does not handle ext4 only ext3.

So be careful not to uninstall the Kernel (or allow webOS to update itself to bring back the original kernel), although I have not seen a thread about phantom webOS 3.0.5 installs of webOS 3.0.5, like we have with webOS 2.1.x).

So although OM might say there is not support for UberKernel, the installer is designed to look for it and does do things differently depending on it being there...
    The installer is made by PIC, all those bits including the added Go support were done by PIC, not OM ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/24/2013 at 10:41 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The installer is made by PIC, all those bits including the added Go support were done by PIC, not OM ;-)
    With TouchPad Go and installer fixes from WebOS Internals...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    With TouchPad Go and installer fixes from WebOS Internals...

-- Rod
    True, didn't mean not to mention Internals, just OM delivers raw binaries and PIC packages it up with various fixes which of course come from various sources including Internals.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I would first like to say that I am also extremely excited and anxiously waiting the official release of ACL.. When it comes to being able to use stock apps in a business setting, It is very difficult to function and the double work of starting here just to send it and paste it somewhere else sucks and is frustrating when some guy with a cheap crappy phablet can do run nearly every app that the iPad guy is using.

With that said, I am really not understanding all of the negative comments and lack of patience with the team working on ACL.. I wish the product was released already but I also realize the undertaking that Phoenix has offered to us.. If I had the skills to code, perhaps I would personally offer assistance, but I don't. So instead of throwing negativity their way, I cheer them on and hope for the best.

How many months has it been since all of us were made aware of the kicksstarter campaign until now? Not that many in the grand scheme of I.T.

I wish ACL was officially released "Yesterday" however I understand the undertaking and I also understand my Touchpad still works and I also understand that I paid less for ACL then I did for one good Pizza.
    renater and TJs11thPre like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Reamer View Post
    With that said, I am really not understanding all of the negative comments and lack of patience with the team working on ACL..

How many months has it been since all of us were made aware of the kicksstarter campaign until now? Not that many in the grand scheme of I.T.
    PIC have been working on it since after the kickstarter campaign ended, OM however have been sitting on it since before 2011, the anger if any is from OM's side as opposed to PIC.

either way, it is here now, 3 years after it was first expected/announced for webOS, just have to keep waiting for fixes and improvements from PIC/internals/anyone participating.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I notice over a period of time recently that Phxdevice's Dropbox appeared to have 'nothing' to download?
    But as of 11 hours ago, at the time of writing, there appears to be a 'version' of 0.6.0.5 available for download again.
    Was this a server/email address glitch - or have actual support changes (for the TP 'Go') been made in the interim I wonder?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/02/2013 at 06:27 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.