Page 71 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374757681 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    BTW, on the doctor issues: I just did a doctor on a device, and I had to login 3 times before it went thru. Then it took a couple of attempts for the backup to restore to the point where I could get in. Once that happened, I reset the date backwards, and it took a few reboots to get all the apps that it wanted to restore.

I do wish there was a "DON'T RESTORE ANYTHING" restore option, considering that my profile has about 200 apps in it, the restore process for that many things kinda sucks.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    MikeN68 likes this.
  2. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I do wish there was a "DON'T RESTORE ANYTHING" restore option, considering that my profile has about 200 apps in it, the restore process for that many things kinda sucks.
    OT: yes, that was a pitty :-(

I went through the whole app-list (>>100) and paused downloading for them. And later I resumed one after the other ...
    Yeah did same. But I don't want most of them anymore :|

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Yeah, it would be nice if it would only restore the stuff that was still installed before you doctored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yeah, it would be nice if it would only restore the stuff that was still installed before you doctored.
    going far offtopic now, but shouldn't that exactly be the case if you made a backup of your profile right before doctoring? And should palm restore not even know which device still has which apps installed, even on same profile?

But i agree that a a switch to prevent direct full app restore and a restore list with individual switches (like in save &restore) would have been a nice doctor option.
    BTW, on the doctor issues: I just did a doctor on a device, and I had to login 3 times before it went thru. Then it took a couple of attempts for the backup to restore to the point where I could get in. Once that happened, I reset the date backwards, and it took a few reboots to get all the apps that it wanted to restore.

Well... after login, you can go to Software Manager, pause the restore & delete paused downloads, no?

I used this option many times...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    going far offtopic now, but shouldn't that exactly be the case if you made a backup of your profile right before doctoring? And should palm restore not even know which device still has which apps installed, even on same profile?

But i agree that a a switch to prevent direct full app restore and a restore list with individual switches (like in save &restore) would have been a nice doctor option.
    I may remember wrong. It does suck though.
    I have a question - for anyone!

This may also be a bit off-topic, but it sort of relates to the ACL eco-system.

As it seems HP are trying to sell the webOS Patents again, it's probably wise to assume that if successful, the app catalogue will either be taken over by another company or shut down. I don't think anyone's device is still under warranty...

Preware has no payment options and I'm fairly sure they won't want to take on the legal overhead that comes with selling things.

So, is the OM app mall able to host webOS apps as well as Android ones?

I doubt it would make much difference to the bottom line, but as their only product is for webOS, it would be 'community-minded' and good PRPRPR...

If OM aren't interested, perhaps PIC themselves might be interested in the trickle of cash that might come from an official app catalogue replacement.

Side-question: Is it possible to make some kind of hybrid app that would 'connect' or pass data between useful Android apps and webOS services.

I realise there maybe good reasons to keep our data seperate from certain apps, but I suppose I'm sort of thinking of webOS style wrappers / UI for Android apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I have a question - for anyone!

This may also be a bit off-topic, but it sort of relates to the ACL eco-system.

As it seems HP are trying to sell the webOS Patents again, it's probably wise to assume that if successful, the app catalogue will either be taken over by another company or shut down. I don't think anyone's device is still under warranty...

Preware has no payment options and I'm fairly sure they won't want to take on the legal overhead that comes with selling things.

I doubt it would make much difference to the bottom line, but as their only product is for webOS, it would be 'community-minded' and good PRPRPR...

If OM aren't interested, perhaps PIC themselves might be interested in the trickle of cash that might come from an official app catalogue replacement.

Side-question: Is it possible to make some kind of hybrid app that would 'connect' or pass data between useful Android apps and webOS services.

I realise there maybe good reasons to keep our data seperate from certain apps, but I suppose I'm sort of thinking of webOS style wrappers / UI for Android apps.
    Good Question, Not sure what legal remedy we would have, although, I have backed up every IPK I have ever used (some which developers have removed from HP/Palm's Catalog now)...

But I do not think we can do anything, developers would have to provide their IPK to some App Store (like PreWare), we can not provide their IPK on their behalf (Copyright issues)...

But HP also stated during the sale of webOS source code to LG they were going to continue support for their existing customers??
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    But HP also stated during the sale of webOS source code to LG they were going to continue support for their existing customers??
    I'm pretty sure, HP will stop their support, but the question is when. Why I'm convinced of this? They can't earn any longer money with this eco-system.(sorry for off-topic)
  11. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    As it seems HP are trying to sell the webOS Patents again, it's probably wise to assume that if successful, the app catalogue will either be taken over by another company or shut down.
    for sure HP will shut down the AppCatalog one day, but this will not be related to the sell of their patents, in addition I am sure, that HP will remain an unrestricted license for all their patents.

I don't think anyone's device is still under warranty...
    Well I had one, but I just sold it. But anyway, the warranty is not against HP, but against the dealer where the device was bought.

Sure this would be possible, it just would need an app to use it. The HP AppCatalog also could sell Android (or whatever) apps, they just would need an app for Android.

But I don't think it will happen this way, one day HP just closes their AppCatalog, period.

That's why I am using a (private) cloud for my important data, I can access it with every device.

And if the AppCatalog will be closed by HP, there will be a solution from webOS internals to make a backup of all of your apps, thus you can use your webOS devices as you have done before.

But if your device "dies" you have to setup everything new on a new device, what was not saved in the cloud, mostly the same when moving from iOS to Android or whaterver ...
  12. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    But back to the topic ...

The weekend is over and hopefully Anita is back :-)

Still very important for me is, if ACL will support location services (including GPS on the 4G and the Go)?

Right now it seems not to work, I tried several apps, but none of them where able to get the location. And in the readme there are several limitations, but nothing about the location services.

If this will not work reliable, I have to get an Android tablet for one app, where I would like to use my Go for. This app runs well with ACL (but without location) and also on my PlayBook (including GPS), but there I have license issues.
    AnitaOM likes this.
    I wanted to share my ACL experience so far.
    I have a regular TP32 webOS 3.0.5/LunaCE 4.9.10/CM9 and installed ACL 0.6.0-5 after directly downloading in webOS browser via Preware which worked well:
    Short protcol for those not sure how long it should take (minutes after install start):
    2min creating/populating 128M ext4 Android System Image
    4min Android Factory Data Reset 1.0G
    8min Presatging dalvik-cache
    9min begin installation of com.phxdevices.acl-clip...
    9min finished

I added a "ACL" tab in webOS launcher via SubOrbital and moved all ACL-icons there.
    Launching Android "Settings"- Apps - checked allow unknown sources
    Installed Amazon app-store app directly from Amazonsite via Android browser download
    This is a better idea then downloading with webos browser, cause you can find it in Android "Download"-app and launch to install from there.
    The problem i had with amazon app store was that MANY apps working under ACL are not listed for Openmobile device and can't be downloaded.
    I don't know what the problem is and don't know how to get around this?
    I think there is also a lot to do around amazon-store stability on ACL, as on 0.6-5 it is still deleted on every reboot and so apps downloaded with it won't start until reinstall of amazon appstore.

That's why i got APKs via the website: "APK Downloader [Latest] Download Directly | (Evozi Official)" (search app on google playstore and enter URL there).You get a apk from an potentially unsecure location, but by checking an downloaded apk via md5sum (in webos wterm) and entering this into google you can verify it.
    Is there a central site to verify playstore apk by listing latest md5?

I installed several apps that are working, will list them in the other thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...st3405953.html

One is "Microsoft Remote Desktop" that is working good, but i can't get the keyboard ("Desktop" nor "Native" option) to display letters . Virtual keyboard closes directly on opening.
    This app also made once the whole TP to reboot instantly on launching app, but after rebooting/restarting app some Android error appeared with amazon.venezia cache which is weird as RD app was sideloaded.
    App worked good after that (without vkb)

Another annoyance is that on every reboot the last android browser download notification apears.

Question with CM9/ACL is that /media/internals/Android/ seems to be used by CM9 and ACL (as /sdcard/Android), could this be a potential error source (different Android and because of that app/preferences versions) ?
    Local laws differ as to statutory warranty periods, but the newest devices are now two years old - except maybe those that were made to satisfy the fire sale demand. I'm not implying that HP will simply pull the switch, but device support usually follows the warranty period, so assuming 2 years is a maximum and hearing about the possibilitiy of the patents being sold... this could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thg
    But anyway, the warranty is not against HP, but against the dealer where the device was bought.
    Good point. There are (or recently, were) still some devices being sold as new, but HP may not be required to back up the dealers, so you might have to take a refund if there is a problem.

Of course, the LG tv might have an app catalogue that they could add mobile apps to. Maybe some existing (enyo) apps would run on the TV.

Thanks for the answers, I've hopefully put a possibility before PIC and / or OM, so I won't divert this topic any further. Maybe I'll start another thread when there's more news.
    Is it possible to increase the Android partition? I keep getting a running out of space error and it's not wanting to let me move apps to the "SD Card".
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Browsers and VOIP apps functionality would make me a happy man!
    Great! Are there any particular apps you had in mind?
    Sort of disagree, it is not just the Open Mobile App Mall, I have removed that APK and it's webOS stub app and it still has issues when start-acl is started, and I kind of think Rod knows more about this then the average webOS developer...

Not sure why they want to include their App Mall, it is a piece of crap and should be removed as part of the PIC involvement but hey they want to make more money off some sucker..

That is why I and others are trying to get a more stable version of Google Market/Play store for Gingerbread.. Still working the kinks out, but for now we have some progress...

But then what do I know, just my two cents...
    Thanks for the post! The OpenMobile AppMall offers a variety of tested and ACL-validated apps
    and we are adding apps to the catalog frequently. Be sure to keep
    browsing for new apps! Are they any in particular that you'd like to have access to?
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Here's my two cents on the ACL beta:

Bottom line..I love it! Way to go OM/PIC! I wasn't expecting most of the stuff I'm running now to work on the first full release, so I definitely wasn't expecting what I got with the beta.

Apps I've installed:

- PowerAmp...Works ok. There are some issues with skipping on the sound but not enough to be annoying. Side loaded so licence doesn't work (even though I bought the app).

- n7player...Works great! Same as PowerAmp with license.

- AppyGeek..Works great! No issues.

- Pulse...Works great! No issues.

- Spotify...Works great! No issues.

- Tank Recon 3d...Works great! Slight issues with the first run.

- Angry Birds Space...Works great! No issues.

- MxPlayer/MxPlayer Arm7 Codes...Works great! No issues with the one video I played.

- Flick Golf...Crashed on first run. Works great now. Only issue is screen orientation is thrown off a little in card view.

- Tank Hero...Crashed on first run. Works great now. No issues!

- Heli Gunner 2...Works great! No issues.

- Leo's R/C Simulator...Works great! No issues.

- Dolphin Browser HD...Works ok. Still evaluating this app.

- ES File Explorer...Works ok. Will not display files from NFS folder. This is a pain because all of my movies and videos are on my WifiDisk, which I mount to the TouchPad using NFS. Internalz Pro displays the files fine. I can transfer the files from the folder to another folder on the TouchPad and then I can read them. Does not display install progress for side loaded apps. It will install them, but I can't monitor the progress. I have to open another ACL app after a few seconds to get the "Application Installed" dialog box. ES File Explorer is "hung" until then.

- Amazon Market...Same issues as everyone else. Installs fine. I bought/downloaded two apps from it that installed fine and work great. Amazon Market gets deleted on reboot, but the apps are still there. Apps won't run unless Amazon Market is reinstalled and I log back in.

- Jetpack Joyride...Installed from Amazon Market. Works great as long as Amazon Market is installed.

- Plants vs Zombies...Bought from Amazon Market. Works great as long as Amazon Market is installed.

- AirStor (for WifiDisk)...Installs fine and runs, but I can't connect to my wifidisk with it.

- Jet Flight Simulator 3d...Issues on first run. Works great after that.

- Asphalt Moto 2...Ask to display notification adds on first run. If you select no or hit the back arrow, you are automatically dropped to the Android Home Screen. Does this every single time so I use it to get to the home screen. Haven't accepted or tried to play the game yet.

- Google Market...Tried all of the install methods listed in this thread and the other ACL thread. Installs and even opens and displays the loading dialog, but crashes after that. THIS WAS MENTIONED AS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT DIDN'T WORK IN THE EMAIL FOR THE BETA FROM PIC! ...thought I would just highlight that for some here. I'm trying to get it to work also, as I have a lot of apps that I paid for that I would like to run under ACL, but I'm not upset with OM/PIC about it because they mentioned it in the email.

Issues with ACL:

- ACL apps capture sound device and will not let it go until a reboot. Can't use any webOS app that requires sound after running one ACL app that has sound.

- Sound in ACL music apps skips sometimes. Sound will also not play when screen is turned off.

- ACL music apps force the screen to stay on (probably for the issue listed above), eating up battery power.

- Sparkle HD, Sparkle 2, and Kalemsoft MP don't work with ACL running (mentioned numerous times in this forum).

- USB mode does not work when ACL is running. I think I found a workaround for it. For some reason if I connect to my computer, don't enter USB mode and open up webOS Quick Install to access my TouchPad, close WOSQI, then switch to USB mode, it works afterwards. Did it twice already. Don't know if it is a fluke or not.

- ACL adds more time to the boot-up of webOS. It's bad enough you have to reboot to get the sound working right again and now the reboot takes forever!

- ACL does not recognize mounted NFS drives.

BTW, I download free apps from the Google Play Store using the apk downloader mentioned by either Cuspie or Herrie in this forum. Upload the apk to my wifidisk, then download it to the TouchPad with Internalz HD and install it on my TouchPad using ES File Explorer. I also have an apk saver program that pulls apks from my Android 2.3 phone, then install using the method listed above. I also have the Amazon App Store as mentioned above. Would really love to have the Google Play Store working on the device.
    Thanks for the heads up! Would you mind providing us with some more information at support@openmobileww.com? What app are you using to mount the drives? Which error message are you getting? Is there any way that you could share with us an image of the issue? Someone from our support team will be able to assist you!
    I think the problem where the installer doesn't give any screen updates, is because it seems like Android is re-using existing windows, when it puts a "new" one on top of the stack, rather than creating a new window to put on top of the existing one. I find that if I have a few windows open, when I go backwards thru the stack, the installer starts showing dialogs in the previous app windows.
    Thanks for the feedback! Would you mind providing us with some more information at support@openmobileww.com? Is there any way that you could share with us an image of the issue? Someone from our support team will be able to assist you!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    Thanks for the post! The OpenMobile AppMall offers a variety of tested and ACL-validated apps
    and we are adding apps to the catalog frequently. Be sure to keep
    browsing for new apps! Are they any in particular that you'd like to have access to?
    Sorry your App Mall to me is not an app store, it seem to be a copyright infringement App, it is a collection of apps you have tested on ACL (so you have stated in this thread):

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    It looks like Tank Hero Laser Wars isn't currently in our AppMall, as it did not pass our rigorous internal testing procedure yet. Our engineers will be working to have it functioning properly, so keep checking the OpenMobile AppMall for it to appear. In the meantime, browse AppMall catalog for some OpenMobile-validated apps!
    http://www.openmobileww.com/#!openmo...-appmall/c122e

Quote: "an App superstore aggregating Apps from independent App stores around the globe"

Do the developers even know you have their apps? Did they submit them? What is the benefit to them? What about their copyrighted material? Who has rights to their APK's, are you allowed to re-distribute them? So many questions, so little answers....

I consider you App Mall illegal and against copyright holders, until you prove to me that it is legal, I will continue to assist others to remove it, and replace it with a legal App Store like Google Market/Google Play.

At least with Google I know the App Store is legal and supported by Google and the developers.
    geekpeter and Rnp like this.