Page 70 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2060656667686970717273747580 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    to be honor, not to be able to uninstall/upgrade ACL correctly and finally loosing the palm profile and thus all data on the TouchPad should not happen at all.

So I would not call this a "user mistake"!

But, because ACL is still beta-software, it can happen, while I never had dataloss with other "beta-software" ever.

Perhaps ACL should not be named "beta" or "pre-release", but "alpha" instead, to make clear the there is a real risk to "kill" the TouchPad!
    Well it depends. I've lost 2 working TouchPad's over the procedere, because I made mistakes.
    One mistake: After I've installed 0.5 via webOS Quickinstall, I've tried to update via Preware. With the same effect you've described: nothing happens and I lost my Installation.
    If I had wait on support answer, I've learned it by time. My fault, my mistake.
    The other mistake: experimenting with my Go. It brought me the doctor :-D
    Perhaps your case is another. Perhaps it is in some constellation difficult to uninstall.

And sorry: beta means: there is a possibility to loose your data! (I can't remember that it happens to me, but in generally it is possible)
  2. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Anita,

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    OpenMobile here! I just wanted to touch base and assure you that we are absolutely monitoring this forum daily and reviewing each and every post.
    thank you very much for this and it is very good to know, that somebody from OM is monitoring this group, even if OM has it's own forum.

But I think it is good and important doing so, because I believe that this forum is and will be a good information source for all ACL users.

And thus I am placing an other, for me very important question:

Is it planned by OM to support location services including GPS for the TP-4G and TP Go within ACL?

I expect that this should be possible, because also the Blackberry PlayBook does support this for their Android-emulator (v 2.3.3) and, please correct me if I am wrong: if the "normal" location service for the TouchPad, that is using Wifi only, is working, the more accurate positioning with GPS should work out of the box too?

Thank you very much,

thg
    Last edited by thg; 10/25/2013 at 06:09 PM.
  3. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    Perhaps it is in some constellation difficult to uninstall.
    on my TP-64 the installation was aborted or not completely finished and because the "uninstall"-script was already deleted, there was no more possibility to finish the deinstallation.

It would be good and important to know, what to do in such a case.

One thing I know is, that I will remove ACL from the autostart and reboot my TP before trying to uninstall ACL the next time, because a correct and full deinstallation seems to be mandatory if you want to update to a newer version.

For sure I will not try to install ACL again in such a case, until I'm not sure that it will not "kill" my TP again. While I mostly didn't lost any data, it needed a lot of time to bring back everything, but unfortunately you only can test ACL with your "production" TP if you want to know if it works for your daily use.

As for the TP Go it was quite different, here it was not necessary to doctor it for what I know today and in addition this was fixed with the next version of ACL.

So hopefully PIC/OM can fix this quite "annoying" behavior quite soon and an automatic update would be really fine.
    First: Never ever install a ACL version over the other without uninstall the previous!!!
    Perhaps should there be a warning in installation guide.
    Well, it would have been nice to have been informed of this by PIC.

Second: after you login in your profile change the date back. You will have trouble with reinstall of apps, but you get the AppCat restored. After this open the AppCat, search for the Update and install it. Then change time back to current time. After this operation it should be possible to get your Apps restored.
    Problem is I cannot even login to my profile after having doctored the TouchPad.

Last: don't blame Anybody else for your mistakes.
    I don't see how my post can be construed as a complaint. I have simply stated the facts, so that others may become aware of the pitfalls and risks involved with ACL in it's current form. Also, I presume PIC would be interested in such feedback to help iron out the kinks.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    While installing version 0.6.0-5 of ACL, or should I say in the attempt to install ACL v0.6.0-5 over v0.6.0-3, Quick Install seemed to be stuck for ever. So I unplugged the TouchPad and restarted it. In the process, not only did I not lose all the ACL apps and Android apps I had installed, but I also lost all my webOS apps and therefore I ended up having to doctor my TouchPad. But now I cannot sign into my profile, presumably due to the 'root certificate' nonsense. Do I have any recourse? Thanks for any and all help.

Root certificate should not affect logging into palm profile as I understand it. Root certificate is merely about getting access to the HP webos catalog. Also, I understood also a long time ago from HP that the backup files were stored separately from the apps that you bought.

Can you go here on your PC browser and see if you can log into your palm profile?

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface
    Thanks for the feedback! We'd love to hear more about which apps you tested, which ones worked well, and which ones still need some tinkering. We hope you're enjoying your newly-enabled TouchPad!
    Anita, I specifically tested apps for the Netherlands as requested by Phx team. My reviews are on their website. There were a handful that didn't work. Most because they had a 3.0+ or 4.0+ Android requirements. There were 1 or 2 that should work but didn't just don't recall their names now.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    AnitaOM likes this.
    It looks like Tank Hero Laser Wars isn't currently in our AppMall, as it did not pass our rigorous internal testing procedure yet. Our engineers will be working to have it functioning properly, so keep checking the OpenMobile AppMall for it to appear. In the meantime, browse AppMall catalog for some OpenMobile-validated apps!
    Hi Anita,

Everything I tested I did based on the lastest APK downloaded from Google Play store using APK Downloader extension in Google Chrome. Then sideloaded the APK to my Touchpad. This works for all apps I tried in general, just the Tank Hero Laser Wars didn't work.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    AnitaOM likes this.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Problem is I cannot even login to my profile after having doctored the TouchPad.
    Well in this case my description should help.

Second: after you login in your profile change the date back. You will have trouble with reinstall of apps, but you get the AppCat restored. After this open the AppCat, search for the Update and install it. Then change time back to current time. After this operation it should be possible to get your Apps restored.
    And another remark. My first restore after long time was quick. But as more as I have had to make, I've got problems with it. I think, the servers of HP has a lot to do these days ;-) :-D
    Last edited by Gwidion; 10/26/2013 at 02:41 AM.
  9. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Just saw it and it make sense to me, to collect all the apps that are working (or not) with ACL, in a seperate thread:

ACL app list-post your results here!

To please post your testing results there.
    Well it depends. I've lost 2 working TouchPad's over the procedere, because I made mistakes.
    One mistake: After I've installed 0.5 via webOS Quickinstall, I've tried to update via Preware. With the same effect you've described: nothing happens and I lost my Installation.
    If I had wait on support answer, I've learned it by time. My fault, my mistake.
    The other mistake: experimenting with my Go. It brought me the doctor :-D
    Perhaps your case is another. Perhaps it is in some constellation difficult to uninstall.

And sorry: beta means: there is a possibility to loose your data! (I can't remember that it happens to me, but in generally it is possible)
    I push ACL 0.6.0-4 to limit, installing and playing around with apps that did not work. My TouchPad crashed and reboot on one of these tries which borked ACL. I tried uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling ACL but it refused to work. My screen kept going blank at random times like ACL was trying to run an app and failing. I finally decided to doctor it, then install ACL 0.6.0-5. I bypassed the activation of my profile and I am now running ACL on a "clean" TouchPad.

I'm going to continue evaluating ACL on the "clean" TouchPad. When I feel that it is getting stable enough, I will sign into my profile and download the 3GBs worth of webOS apps that I have. Testing beta software has its pitfall sometimes. I
    geekpeter likes this.
  11. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I push ACL 0.6.0-4 to limit, installing and playing around with apps that did not work. My TouchPad crashed and reboot on one of these tries which borked ACL.
    I think that this should not happen.

At least if you restart your TP it should work as before. If not you or one of the apps you installed has changed s.th. in ACL or Android, that makes it impossible to start.

A very valuable tip from Rod was, connecting to the TP via "novaterm" and then:

Code:
    TP:# mount -o remount,rw /
    TP:/# mv /etc/event.d/start-acl /home/root/
    This will disable the auto startup of ACL after reboot.

And if you restartet your TP again, delete ACL manually:

Code:
    TP:/# /opt/omww/bin/uninstall-acl.sh
    This normaly should clean up everything and brings you back a working TP!
    Gwidion likes this.
    Yes, Sonos controller
    you got it installed and working? Do you mind explaining how (including where to download from)?

Thanks
    Baldric

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    A few apps I use need Flash - I can't find a version that will install - any suggestions? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I ran across the same issue with the PlayOn client. I found a version on the Adobe website easily enough (the latest version that's 2.3 compatible), but it didn't matter. None of the ACL apps could see Flash even after I'd installed the .apk.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    you got it installed and working? Do you mind explaining how (including where to download from)?

Thanks
    Baldric

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Sorry for confusing.
    My comment should have been a direct reply to the last question from Anita in the comment before.

Please find the progress with Sonos in the thread Sonos controller on Touchpad with ACL
    hey, is there any chance to get that ACL somehow?
    can't find any info about that where i can download or buy it..
    greetings

Well the times that beta meant "not for productive use" for the people are long ago. Today as google/Facebook... kind of brand their hippest functions as beta no one understands.

But a "Prerelease" app should not be crashing the system it runs on, and when uninstall is needed for a update it should be mentioned very clearly and perhaps should detect for it self that an old version is installed and prevent the update (i think could be done with an .ipk, at least patches can if they find not the "right environment" to install.) <<< hint for phx/OM

I'm quite happy with 0.6-5 (initial install) on my tp32 3.0.5/LunaCE 4.9.10/CM9, but i was ready to loose whole webOS install. I will report more on my install and tested apps in a later post.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I just received an ipkg for ACL 0.6.0-3. My initial impressions of the packaging are in the #webos-internals newsgroup, so I won't repeat them here. Summary is that it seems to be well packaged, with error checking and cleaning up after itself correctly. The licensing solution is a professional third-party cryptographically protected solution, which should slow down that "OS name plus the sound of a certain insect" piracy site.

-- Rod
    I'd like to read Rod's "initial impressions" in the #webos-internals news group. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks.
  19. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I'd like to read Rod's "initial impressions" in the #webos-internals news group. Does anyone have a link?
    I think it was not in a news group, at least I could not find one, so I rather suppose he ment the #webos-internals IRC-channel?
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    I think it was not in a news group, at least I could not find one, so I rather suppose he ment the #webos-internals IRC-channel?
    Yes, see http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs...s.20131020.txt for example
    cbosdell and Gwidion like this.