Page 69 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1959646566676869707172737479 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Yes, there is. it kinda works in portrait mode, but is very tiny and not scalable in landscape. I'm sure there are other keyboards out there which don't capture that much.haven't found any keyboard that has a separate row for numeric keys as webOS has. However I understand at least Swiftkey, which I use is working on that.

The keyboard I chose to use captures a lot because it does word prediction and learns from what you type. Weighing benefits against privacy as usual.

AI type keyboard plus has a number row at the top. The main keys aren't as nicely placed as webOS though imo but everyone is different . . . .

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    Success with browsing my home network from the TouchPad - there's an app called "File Expert HD" which has a "tools" tab and a network tab within that, and that finds all the devices on my network and allows me to browse the shared folders and play media from them - after a fashion (usual problems with audio video sync, and music seems limited to playing one track at a time). Why this one works and no others (that I have tried) don't is a mystery.
    Bhome webos app does this nicely and has a free trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Yes, there is. it kinda works in portrait mode, but is very tiny and not scalable in landscape as eblade mentioned. I'm sure there are other keyboards out there which don't capture that much. Haven't found any keyboard that has a separate row for numeric keys as webOS has. However I understand at least Swiftkey, which I use is working on that.

The keyboard I chose to use captures a lot because it does word prediction and learns from what you type. Weighing benefits against privacy as usual.
    SwiftKey already has numeric keys on their tablet version, but the numeric keys are in the middle of the keyboard (in landscape orientation). The keyboard is split making it very easy to use on a tablet. Also they're in the process of merging the phone and tablet versions and supposedly adding new layouts as well as a floating keyboard.

SwiftKey is the most amazing keyboard I've ever used. If you can wrap your head around giving it access to your gmail, facebook, twitter, sms, etc (these are all optional), it really does an amazing job predicting the next word by learning your typing behavior. It also performs generic predictions based upon language and common phrases, so a large percentage of the time, I don't even have to type the next word.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post

SwiftKey is the most amazing keyboard I've ever used. If you can wrap your head around giving it access to your gmail, facebook, twitter, sms, etc (these are all optional), it really does an amazing job predicting the next word by learning your typing behavior.
    Oh i already miss the relatively secure feeling in webOS-apps having "all my data are belong to me"
    HelloNNNewman, Rnp, thg and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Hi AnitaOM,

while this is the first "official" post since long time from OM, I do not expect that there will be any more frequent activity by OM here.

Anyway I hope that you and/or your devs still are monitoring this forum/thread, because I would not expect that all people from here will move over to the OM-forum!

Thanks a lot, keep on going,

thg
    Hi All,

OpenMobile here! I just wanted to touch base and assure you that we are absolutely monitoring this forum daily and reviewing each and every post. I am actually in a meeting right now reviewing your feedback with support, product management, and development. We’re going to start responding ASAP. The community has provided a lot of great feedback (for which we are grateful!), but it does take time to review and prioritize as we ramp up. We will be getting back to some of you today!
    Again, I cannot thank you enough for providing your feedback, suggestions, and app requests - keep it coming!

Happy Friday!
    Anita
    Thanks Anita! Your monitoring our forums is appreciated And.. if you all can get Kalemsoft Media player to work, I'll be eternally grateful! (well, maybe not eternally, but I'll be happy)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    For installing apps: Go to "Settings" then "Applications" and tick the top box to allow installation from other sources (don't remember the exact description).

Then in Android browser go to Amazon.com: Apps for Android and install the Amazon App Store.

From here you can install apps like "APK Installer", "ES File Explorer" etc.

You can side-load APK's (Copy them to your TP over WiFi using "WIFI Sharing" from Preware since USB drive functionality still seems broken with ACL currently (at least when I quickly tested this IPK on a clean Doctored 3.0.5 this morning without LunaCE)) and install them using APK Installer, ES File Explorer or another tool to install your APK's.

Please note I had some issues installing APK's using this method (installation wouldn't complete), but this could be due to my version I was working with. I'm not sure this has been addressed by this version that has been sent to the pre-release backers. My solution was to open any Android app (for example browser), then close it and it would complete the installation cycle of the APK.

As part of an internal test team I tested 50 or so Netherlands specific apps in the last couple of weeks and found 90+% of them working fine with all features as expected. Some weren't installing or crashing, but I need to admit some have a 3.0+ or 4.0+ OS requirement so that's not strange.

I was able to get "Android Market" to work properly using several APK's that are floating around for this (you need 4 different ones for complete framework). "Google Play" I couldn't get to work yet, but could be it was conflicting with Market somehow.
    Thanks for the feedback! We'd love to hear more about which apps you tested, which ones worked well, and which ones still need some tinkering. We hope you're enjoying your newly-enabled TouchPad!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    With Adobe not working, does that mean it won't read pdfs?

Reading and annotating pdfs would be very helpful for work tasks as webOS has a hard time with that function without workarounds. It would be great if ACL can fill the gap.
    Thanks for the question: The only version of Adobe that isn't supported by ACL is Adobe Air, but you should be able to use a different version of Adobe to read PDFs!
    Tank Hero Laser Wars: Wouldn't install for me currently.Installs now, doesn't start still. Rebooted and still no go unfortunately.
    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    It looks like Tank Hero Laser Wars isn't currently in our AppMall, as it did not pass our rigorous internal testing procedure yet. Our engineers will be working to have it functioning properly, so keep checking the OpenMobile AppMall for it to appear. In the meantime, browse AppMall catalog for some OpenMobile-validated apps!
    Yes they are! MX Player doesn't seem to run at proper fps yet (but I expect this is due to graphics acceleration not being 100% yet as they said in the release notes), but it's certainly watchable, I think it's about 20 fps or so.

Netflix starts but I don't have an account to test and didn't have time to signup yet for a month free trial.
    Thanks for the heads up! We're aware of this particular bug (regarding MX Player) and we're working to have it fixed as soon as possible.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Scrolling and zooming in Firefox or Adobe Reader is not smooth as it should be, the app installation seems to have some bugs while it normally does it's job, starting of apps needs quite long and today, while writing a message in this forum using Firefox, my TouchPad-64 suddenly rebooted.
    Thanks for the feedback! It looks like, in some cases, the Android apps have difficulty accessing the webOS data. Our engineers are looking into it and hope to have a remedy as soon as possible!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Firefox is working well with the exception of playing videos - it's still complains about the lack of a codec

Excuse me now while I dust off a couple of other Touchpads and start installing ACL everywhere!
    Thanks for the post! We'll look into it, but would you mind sharing with us a link of what video you were trying to play?
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Alright, got my email, got everything installed and running. App Mall is pretty much crap, Camera doesn't work right, for the most part everything else included seems to work.

SO, can someone point me to (or post) a crash course on obtaining and installing an apk? (like, maybe, the amazon store, since everyone seems to be using that instead)
    Thanks for the feedback! At the time of your post, the catalog hadn't yet gone live, but that has since been taken care of! The OpenMobile AppMall offers a variety of tested and ACL-validated apps and we are adding apps to the catalog everyday, so be sure to keep browsing for new apps! Are they any in particular that you'd like to have on your TouchPad?
    Rnp likes this.
    Yes, Sonos controller
    While installing version 0.6.0-5 of ACL, or should I say in the attempt to install ACL v0.6.0-5 over v0.6.0-3, Quick Install seemed to be stuck for ever. So I unplugged the TouchPad and restarted it. In the process, not only did I not lose all the ACL apps and Android apps I had installed, but I also lost all my webOS apps and therefore I ended up having to doctor my TouchPad. But now I cannot sign into my profile, presumably due to the 'root certificate' nonsense. Do I have any recourse? Thanks for any and all help.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    While installing version 0.6.0-5 of ACL, or should I say in the attempt to install ACL v0.6.0-5 over v0.6.0-3, Quick Install seemed to be stuck for ever. So I unplugged the TouchPad and restarted it. In the process, not only did I not lose all the ACL apps and Android apps I had installed, but I also lost all my webOS apps and therefore I ended up having to doctor my TouchPad. But now I cannot sign into my profile, presumably due to the 'root certificate' nonsense. Do I have any recourse? Thanks for any and all help.
    First: Never ever install a ACL version over the other without uninstall the previous!!!
    Perhaps should there be a warning in installation guide.

Second: after you login in your profile change the date back. You will have trouble with reinstall of apps, but you get the AppCat restored. After this open the AppCat, search for the Update and install it. Then change time back to current time. After this operation it should be possible to get your Apps restored.

Third: this Prerelease is an extended betatest. Be aware of this fact. It's not the product.

Last: don't blame Anybody else for your mistakes.
    MikeN68 and gizmo21 like this.
  17. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnitaOM View Post
    The only version of Adobe that isn't supported by ACL is Adobe Air, but you should be able to use a different version of Adobe to read PDFs!
    the normal Adobe Reader is working quite good with ACL, at least better than the ones available natively for webOS (Adobe Reader or Picsel).
    AnitaOM likes this.
  18. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    but I also lost all my webOS apps and therefore I ended up having to doctor my TouchPad. But now I cannot sign into my profile, presumably due to the 'root certificate' nonsense
    I had the same problem and had to doctor, but log in to my profile was not a problem at all, so there must be a different problem for you.

But when restoring the installed AppCatalog app, you get "millions" of errors, so first you have to set the time to June 2013, then install the AppCatalog update with the new certificates and finally you can restore all the apps.

Unfortunately the restore is quite stupid, because it tries to download and restore all the apps simultaneously and blocks itself wherever possible. I took a whole night until my apps where back and the TP was unusable during this time.
  19. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    Last: don't blame Anybody else for your mistakes.
    to be honor, not to be able to uninstall/upgrade ACL correctly and finally loosing the palm profile and thus all data on the TouchPad should not happen at all.

So I would not call this a "user mistake"!

But, because ACL is still beta-software, it can happen, while I never had dataloss with other "beta-software" ever.

Perhaps ACL should not be named "beta" or "pre-release", but "alpha" instead, to make clear the there is a real risk to "kill" the TouchPad!
  20. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    OK, finally I have restored my TP-64 too, again including several patches, this time with LunaCE and I was able to "bring back" CM9 including all apps and data/settings after webOS doctoring too.

And I installed ACL 0.6.0-5 again, at least this worked without problems, but unfortunately all the Android apps including their settings (f.ex. Firefox bookmarks and logins) are gone. It would be nice to know where these informations are saved.

So I have to reinstall them and bring back the data/settings and next time I'll try to save them with "Titanium Backup" or similar.