Page 65 of 105 FirstFirst ... 15 556061626364656667686970 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Anyone else having an issue with connecting the TP as USB drive connection and getting a 'throw away all cards and try again' notice?

Presumably ACL needs to close - presumably this is related to John Steffes post of ACL running?? If so PIC/OM really need to get something done about this!
    That's due to the file mounts from cryptofs that ACL uses for the Android partitions. If they switched to ext3fs partitions they would not have this problem (this is why we recommend ext3fs partitions for Debian/Ubuntu on webOS, and why we convinced the moboot guys to do it that way for the native Android on TouchPad installer).

Solving the problem while using cryptofs mounts is not trivial without terminating all running ACL processes.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Proximity likes this.
    I was just about to install the ACL, but I think I will wait until they solve the issues with USB mode and Kalemsoft media player...
    TouchPad 4G, TouchPad 32GB w/4.4.4
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's due to the file mounts from cryptofs that ACL uses for the Android partitions. If they switched to ext3fs partitions they would not have this problem (this is why we recommend ext3fs partitions for Debian/Ubuntu on webOS, and why we convinced the moboot guys to do it that way for the native Android on TouchPad installer).

Solving the problem while using cryptofs mounts is not trivial without terminating all running ACL processes.

-- Rod
    Actually that's not the problem. The problem is the OpenMobile AppMall has an open file descriptor to /media/internal which has to be closed before the USB drive can be externally mounted.

Yes it's true that all the ACL processes have to stop running (not terminate, but stop running) when cryptofs is suspended. That's what happens - the entire ACL process tree is suspended when cryptofs suspends.

To get around the OpenMobile AppMall problem - that process is just killed knowing that it will be restarted when the ACL process tree is resumed. However, there is a race condition ... you can't just kill the app and then suspend the parent because if you are too fast, you are left with a zombie that still has an open file descriptor to /media/internal. So, you have to wait for the kill -9 to be completed and hope you have enough time to suspend the ACL process tree before it restarts the darn app. There is a fix coming to at least wait for the kill to finish to prevent the zombie process and that does seem to help.

The right solution, of course, is to fix the OpenMobile AppMall. We'll see when that gets done. And, of course, we do have the other issue that an ACL app may be trying to access /media/internal when a USB mount is requested. That problem is going to take more work and repartitioning won't solve that issue.
    Global Posts
    778 Global Posts

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    Actually that's not the problem. The problem is the OpenMobile AppMall has an open file descriptor to /media/internal which has to be closed before the USB drive can be externally mounted.

Yes it's true that all the ACL processes have to stop running (not terminate, but stop running) when cryptofs is suspended. That's what happens - the entire ACL process tree is suspended when cryptofs suspends.

To get around the OpenMobile AppMall problem - that process is just killed knowing that it will be restarted when the ACL process tree is resumed. However, there is a race condition ... you can't just kill the app and then suspend the parent because if you are too fast, you are left with a zombie that still has an open file descriptor to /media/internal. So, you have to wait for the kill -9 to be completed and hope you have enough time to suspend the ACL process tree before it restarts the darn app. There is a fix coming to at least wait for the kill to finish to prevent the zombie process and that does seem to help.

The right solution, of course, is to fix the OpenMobile AppMall. We'll see when that gets done. And, of course, we do have the other issue that an ACL app may be trying to access /media/internal when a USB mount is requested. That problem is going to take more work and repartitioning won't solve that issue.
    In either case I see this as a fatal flaw for ACL. If I have to reboot to get it going properly and then reboot again to restore webOS functionality then one would be better off installing the dual boot. And if that becomes the case I will just use my Android tablet...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Sort of disagree, it is not just the Open Mobile App Mall, I have removed that APK and it's webOS stub app and it still has issues when start-acl is started, and I kind of think Rod knows more about this then the average webOS developer...

Not sure why they want to include their App Mall, it is a piece of crap and should be removed as part of the PIC involvement but hey they want to make more money off some sucker..

That is why I and others are trying to get a more stable version of Google Market/Play store for Gingerbread.. Still working the kinks out, but for now we have some progress...

But then what do I know, just my two cents...
    I have tried searching through the posts, but haven't found this yet -

I have CM9 on my Touchpad that I use quite often. Now that I have ACL, I'd like to access these programs from the Android partition to see if any of them will run. I would rather not have to download Netflix/etc and have two copies on my Touchpad (one for CM9 and one for ACL).

I understand that many of my CM9 programs are Jellybean and most likely will not work. But is there any way to access them to try? I posted this on the Phoenix website, too, so if a solution comes across over there I will post it here so that everyone will know.

Thanks, guys. In some ways this feels like early webOS again! Let's figure it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmervine View Post
    I was just about to install the ACL, but I think I will wait until they solve the issues with USB mode and Kalemsoft media player...
    I hate to say it, but I'm with you on that one. Unfortunately, I use my Touchpad mostly on my train commutes to/from work and Kalemsoft is the most used app I have. Sad that one app can keep me from using ACL right now, but it's either that or have some long, boring commutes.
    On the touchpad, I'm delighted to find that the Rdio app (streaming audio service) runs pretty well. But shame about no bluetooth...

On many apps I'm seeing a purple line across the top of the screen.

On a couple of apps which I would have expected to see my local network (eg ES File Explorer) the network isn't seen. Is that to be expected?

Generally I'm impressed with this so far, but while waiting for it I've added to my real Android device collection and I'm not sure that there's much I'll actually now do with Android on the TP. But it's interesting if not necessarily really useful.

Edited to add - many thanks for all the great advice from expert users in the previous posts!
    Last edited by Ozpeter; 10/21/2013 at 01:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Sort of disagree, it is not just the Open Mobile App Mall, I have removed that APK and it's webOS stub app and it still has issues when start-acl is started, and I kind of think Rod knows more about this then the average webOS developer...

Not sure why they want to include their App Mall, it is a piece of crap and should be removed as part of the PIC involvement but hey they want to make more money off some sucker..

That is why I and others are trying to get a more stable version of Google Market/Play store for Gingerbread.. Still working the kinks out, but for now we have some progress...

HI Steffes,

I think their version of the OM Play store is to try to monetize this solution off the Webos fans; similar to the amazon store. This is a logical assumption. I still am not too sure how they're going to get the authors to upload their applications to monetize off this arrangement.
    I hope they have a good program / gameplan.
    Any chance the admin could add another option to the forum for tips and stuff for acl touchpad owners, would be much easier viewing, im guessing quiet a few people are going to need some help with acl.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    sure, I tried some more, but the "Jelly Bean" (not the 4.3 one) and "A.I Type" where the only ones that worked with ACL.
    I've installed Swiftkey tablet. A very decent keyboard which also supports swypes and does word predicts. It does cost 4 bucks in the Amazon market and is not for the faint at heart regarding privacy. It captures every key you type and does analyses of it :-O

Well, the average user would want to have a store, so at least they did include a store, and not just have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING even if the App Mall does suck. And maybe the App Mall will improve their stuff over time, too. Or maybe not. But at least, it's something, which is more, and more useful, than nothing. Even if most of us will use something else.

Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    In either case I see this as a fatal flaw for ACL. If I have to reboot to get it going properly and then reboot again to restore webOS functionality then one would be better off installing the dual boot. And if that becomes the case I will just use my Android tablet...
    I'd be willing to bet that they're working to fix this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I hate to say it, but I'm with you on that one. Unfortunately, I use my Touchpad mostly on my train commutes to/from work and Kalemsoft is the most used app I have. Sad that one app can keep me from using ACL right now, but it's either that or have some long, boring commutes.
    It's OK, Android apps still mostly all suck anyway. SO, you're not missing out on a lot. It's nice to have an actual Mint app, although it absolutely blows goats in comparison to the iPad mint app, and it's nice to have netflix without rebooting. Other than that, Words with Friends, is about all that I foresee myself using.
    (anyone know if WWF works?)

Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    I've installed Swiftkey tablet. A very decent keyboard which also supports swypes and does word predicts. It does cost 4 bucks in the Amazon market and is not for the faint at heart regarding privacy. It captures every key you type and does analyses of it :-O
    Does Google Keyboard work any idea?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It should be possible to update the patch to add it. Will have a look into that when I have some time. You could take the original HOMEBREW and GAMES-tab patch and just change GAMES into ACL. Should give you 6 tabs altogether which should be fine. To have HOMEBREW, GAMES and ACL might be problematic according to another post that says over 6 tabs causes issues.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I have 7 tabs no hassle using suborbital in landscape
    i think the only issue i had was that the extra tabs werent visible in portrait and couldnt be slided left/right, which kinda forced me to use smaller names.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    SwiftKey beta available from their website, it works and it's free :-)
    New beta out today - Layouts for Living
    Haven't tried. Still issues to get to Android market, sits in too hard basket at the moment. Hope someone figures this one out soon. Using Amazon for apps at the moment, even tough you have to reinstall it every reboot.

Does Google Keyboard work any idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    SwiftKey beta available from their website, it works and it's free :-)
    New beta out today - Layouts for Living
    Nice catch, there is a difference though between tablet and phone version. Not sure if that creates issues. I'm using tablet version, probably scales better.

Edit: this beta seems to be a combined version. Very nice.
    Last edited by renater; 10/21/2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: just read new beta is combined tablet / phone version
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    After a day of experimenting with ACL 0.6.0-4 (on TP wifi 64, Uberkernel, LunaCE 4.9.5, dualboot with CM9) my findings:

Installed fine with preware.
    Overall I'm pretty impressed by how nicely Android has been integrated in the webOS experience! It's really bizar to see Netflix run this smoothly!

My issues:
    - Audio gets "hijacked by Android" After running some Android apps. After that there is no more media audio, the notifications (or at least some of them) are still audible. PulseAudio Restarter does not fix this.
    - Amazon app store dissapears after each reboot??
    - I got Android market working after a lot of tries, based on this method: PIC Kick Starts the TouchPad with Open Mobile ACL However this results in some weird behaviour. webOS now boots with an Android homescreen launched in a card. I also have to accept Market terms & conditions on every run of the Market. Getting my android account provisioned was a challenge as well (unresponsive next buttons, etc.). I also think I'll need to root and tweak build.prop (like on CM9) to allow more Market apps to be "compatible with my device".
    - I don't know if this is limited to Android Market installed apps or not, but settings doesn't seem to stick: I have installed Jelly bean keyboard, but have to keep selecting it as keyboard to be used as ACL keeps defaulting to the standard keyboard.
  18. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Doesn't anyone use SubOrbital anymore?
    didn't know that one, thanks a lot for it :-)

With this I was able to add an additional "ACL"-tab, so now I have 7 tabs on my TP too.

Only moving over all the ACL apps is quite annoying (the "batch-move" didn't worked for me) and has to be done with every new ACL version :-(
  19. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    anyway it would be nice to have a "start/stop ACL-service" and the possibility to disable the auto-start of ACL when webOS boots.

I do not need ACL always and my impression is, that it takes longer to start the TP with ACL - the unlock screen is available, but it is still blocked for some time.
  20. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I have no problem with that, OM is a commercial company and they have to make money.

But I would like to be easily able to uninstall some/most apps that come with ACL, because I just have no need for them. At least I would like to remove them from the screen!