Page 56 of 105 FirstFirst ... 646515253545556575859606166 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    and it's really better than the current one, which is really annoying?

But anway after some use, I have to say that ACL really still is beta.

Scrolling and zooming in Firefox or Adobe Reader is not smooth as it should be, the app installation seems to have some bugs while it normally does it's job, starting of apps needs quite long and today, while writing a message in this forum using Firefox, my TouchPad-64 suddenly rebooted.

So the pre-release is fine as beta, but PIC/OM has still to do some work until it is really usable for a handfull apps running besides the webOS "key"-apps. It is understandable, that PIC/OM did not have released to public until now.

So I really would like to see a current browser-engine on webOS, because the integration of an Android-browser via ACL into webOS never will be the same than a native webOS-browser.
    I've just got version 0.6.0 for pre-beta testing ... WOW, WOW, WOW. Hunger Games plays smoothly in Netflix as well as everything else I'm watching - video quality is great, video and audio are synced and I'm running the latest Netflix straight from the Amazon App Store. Even scrolling through the video selections is zippy if not just a bit too fast.

Firefox is working well with the exception of playing videos - it's still complains about the lack of a codec ... Scrolling and zooming in Firefox is way faster ... maybe a bit too fast (who would have guessed). Flash is running quite well with Firefox. I'm at the point that I'm transitioning to Firefox rather than the webOS browser. It's so nice to have a modern browser on my webOS tablet - I can even take advantage of the mobile version of Slashdot!

Amazon app store is just plain zippy. I don't know if Open Mobile did anything to improve the network performance, but it is noticabily faster ... it may just be that the lack of graphics lag has freed up resources but it just feels massively faster.

I haven't tried any games yet but if the performance improvements translate to the games then I'm in heaven.

Does this version still have issues - Yup. From my point of view this is still a beta. But Open Mobile seems to have managed to crack the performance issue that's been plaguing the graphics and I'm really really happy.

I'm not sure what the schedule is for getting 0.6 out to everyone else but from my point of view, we finally have a real beta release!

Excuse me now while I dust off a couple of other Touchpads and start installing ACL everywhere!
    mattmayatt, k4ever, Rnp and 3 others like this.
    Just rub it in a bit more guys :-)
    eKeith and ananimus like this.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Wow - missed a fair bit by sleeping and working this morning!

Small update - My main TP has now LOST ACL activation so I'm going through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling again (and again . . . . probably!)

My spare TP I doctored and is still running like a dream - albeit rather laggy for ACL apps. but as least they work :-)

I also couldn't get on with the built in KB so installed Swift which is still rather nice. I may go back to AI at some point too so I can have the number row at the top. Damn shame we couldn't keep the webOS KB. That would have been fantastic.
    Last edited by MikeN68; 10/17/2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: keyboard
    cbosdell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    Just rub it in a bit more guys :-)
    Hey ... I had to get something for the rather sizable contribution I made to the project

But hang in there ... It WILL be worth the wait!
    Last edited by cuspie; 10/17/2013 at 07:38 AM.
    The 0.6.0 beta sounds great!

I'm really hoping by the time it gets out to the rest of us it'll somehow work with the TouchPad Go. I'd be more than willing to help test/troubleshoot ACL on one if there was any interest and I knew who to contact. There's enough of them floating around I'm sure it'd make a lot of people happy if they could figure it out.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    AnitaOM likes this.
    yeah sorry cuspie just realized it was you that made that post , you have permission to rub away :-)
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    yeah sorry cuspie just realized it was you that made that post , you have permission to rub away :-)
    Careful with the rubbing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    ...rather sizable contribution...
    This might be the largest understatement I've read on this forum ever.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    eKeith, cuspie, Rnp and 1 others like this.

I'm really hoping by the time it gets out to the rest of us it'll somehow work with the TouchPad Go. I'd be more than willing to help test/troubleshoot ACL on one if there was any interest and I knew who to contact. There's enough of them floating around I'm sure it'd make a lot of people happy if they could figure it out.

0.6.0? How often is OM putting out new releases? Looks like they have at least three more beta releases before a full release, if I'm understanding this correctly.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    0.6.0? How often is OM putting out new releases? Looks like they have at least three more beta releases before a full release, if I'm understanding this correctly.

I don't think we shouldn't stare blindly on the version number to be honest. Not sure what determines a version jump to be honest I guess some big progress, but the question is all about what's considered big progress etc
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/17/2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspie View Post
    I've just got version 0.6.0 for pre-beta testing ... WOW, WOW, WOW. Hunger Games plays smoothly in Netflix as well as everything else I'm watching - video quality is great, video and audio are synced and I'm running the latest Netflix straight from the Amazon App Store. Even scrolling through the video selections is zippy if not just a bit too fast.
    Too fast scrolling is one of my common complaints with Android.

Could anyone give an indication of the impact of using an overclocked device (using uberKernel) vs stock kernel/standard speed on the smoothness of ACL-run applications? - Specifically on more complex applications...
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post

I've got a couple GO's, one running 3.0.4 direct from HP, and another running a 3.0.5 meta doctor version with LunaCE.

That being said, I'd also be happy to help beta test the ACL for use on the TP GO.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    cbosdell likes this.
    Another nice enhancement in 0.6.0: Instead of "download done" it now actually shows what is being downloaded or completed downloading That's actually a big improvement for me, even though it's a small thing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    eKeith likes this.
    Sparkle 2 and Kalemsoft Media Player still broken with 0.6.0 (Sound but black picture)
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Reading through the posts on the PIC help forums, ACL may not work with uberkernel. Just a heads up.
    pretty disasterous flaw right there, in fact didnt Chompers android 3.x in a card project suffer a similar kernel related issue? seems a pretty "normal" problem if thats the case.

in fact given that ACL isnt free, cant PIC's next project be to make chompers android 3.x work as opposed to OM's solution, as its free, was released far earlier than OM's and actually worked, tho ofc slow etc, seems they could spend time improving that old project without any cost or limitations to themselves.

his old downloads still available, i dunno if his source codes still around tho, then theres that russian dev who was doing the same for the pre3.

for anyone who cant remember chompers android in a card. (note it was released 2011)
    his work may have been buggy and he needed help but he did deliver the impossible way back then.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/17/2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    pretty disasterous flaw right there......
    I don't think that ACL not working with a non-stock kernel is a disastrous flaw. Software is made to work with stock first, not every modification a user can through at a system. Its inconvenient, but not disastrous. Definitely something OM needs to fix along with any issues related to LunaCE, since most of us have come to depend on both Uberkernel and LunaCE.

eKeith and geekpeter like this.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    not too sure this is related to UberKernel. I have removed UK from my main TP and re-installed ACL and I still receive the activation failure. I've also just installed UK on my test TP (after doctoring) and ACL is still working.

I'll keep checking for patches etc that may interfere, but I've pretty much re-installed everything I can recall and still ACL plods away on the test TP.

For now, I'm waiting to try 0.6.0 on my main TP to see if that fixes this activation issue.
    Interesting find on PIC help forums. Tester got ACL installed on his Touchpad GO but it wouldn't activate (seems that may be a totally separate issue being worked on - activation issues).

Anyhow when he got it installed successfully on his GO, he only had Impostah and device profile override installed. He did not say which OS ver (3.0.4 or 3.0.5).

After doctoring his GO, he installed ACL and got the boot loop.

I don't know what if anything this all means except I see a glimmer of hope the ACL will install and run on TouchPad GO devices.

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/17/2013 at 04:50 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    MudShark22 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Reading through the posts on the PIC help forums, ACL may not work with uberkernel. Just a heads up.

Fact Check: ACL installed with the PIC Installer works great with the UberKernel! I've been running with the UberKernel for weeks.

But wait! There's more!

The PIC Installer for the ACL on webOS checks to see if you are running the UberKernel and, if so, creates the Android /system and /data partitions as ext4 rather than only ext3. Truth in advertising here ... it doesn't actually check to see if you are running the UberKernel - it checks for ext4 filesystem support and if found, uses it.

And if that's not enough there is even more!

The PIC Installer for the ACL on webOS goes out of its way to ensure that it properly works with the webos-internals environment including the patches, apps, kernels, optware, etc.

I couldn't live without the outstanding work of the webos-internals team on my Touchpad and PIC is working diligently to ensure that I don't have to.

I'm getting off my soap box now ...

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    pretty disasterous flaw right there, in fact didnt Chompers android 3.x in a card project suffer a similar kernel related issue? seems a pretty "normal" problem if thats the case.

in fact given that ACL isnt free, cant PIC's next project be to make chompers android 3.x work as opposed to OM's solution, as its free, was released far earlier than OM's and actually worked, tho ofc slow etc, seems they could spend time improving that old project without any cost or limitations to themselves.

his old downloads still available, i dunno if his source codes still around tho, then theres that russian dev who was doing the same for the pre3.

for anyone who cant remember chompers android in a card. (note it was released 2011)
    his work may have been buggy and he needed help but he did deliver the impossible way back then.

LOL! You just HAVE to stab at this project any chance you get. Anything to downplay, naysay, etc. The fact is that it's coming along, let it come out, stop bashing the crap outta it needlessly.
    eKeith and mattmayatt like this.