Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    I was going to ask the data question too. We speculated before about whether Android would have access to the webOS contacts, calendar, etc. I can't remember what or if we reached any conclusion.

Going back over the list of pre-installed apps, I didn't see calendar. That was one of the key Exchange items needed as well. Was also curious to see how the calendar notifications work, if that is working right now. Anyone that can test this and mail with an Exchange server, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/16/2013 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I was going to ask the data question too. We speculated before about whether Android would have access to the webOS contacts, calendar, etc. I can't remember what or if we reached any conclusion.
    I can have a look when I got time, but based on how I saw the system is built up, I actually doubt that there's this level of integration for contacts, calendar etc.
    Given a recent post by Garfonso (see synergy), I'd guess that if ACL is an app, then the structure of webOS will likely prevent a data grab, but we know it's called Application Compatibilty Layer & that's it's tweaked to specific hardware, so more than an app, it might be reaching into webOS at a low level. It would be interesting to know.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/16/2013 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Cool, I invited you, let me know if it works. I think you need ES file explorer also installed or something similar but you can see what happens.

The pdf annotation is contained in special apps like repligo etc. Those cost money so if you don't have them, probably foxit could be fine to test as it is free.

Speaking of free apps which then probably have access to your personal data, what is the personal data that the android apps have access to? Do they have permissions to see the webOS side of things, for example?

Someone asked about Amazon. Yes, amazon makes you sign in these days to its App Store to use most apps including browsers except I did not have to sign in for netflix. The stock jellybean cyanogenmod jellybean has a browser but flash seems buggy on it.
    OK works Can play the MP3 in Pogoplug, couldn't play the MP4 directly but could be due to internet connection. After downloading I could play it without issues in MX Player, attached some screenshots

I will try to get Foxit APK from Play Store because it's not in my Amazon store...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Free Jellybean keyboard: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tin.jelly.free
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/16/2013 at 01:30 PM.
    renater likes this.
    Foxit Reader seems to work including annotation

Trying Exchange stuff now. Should sync Email, Calendar and Contacts according to description.

Your webOS contacts are not available in Android as expected already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I can have a look when I got time, but based on how I saw the system is built up, I actually doubt that there's this level of integration for contacts, calendar etc.
    Thanks - that would be how I prefer it given the privacy concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    On a fresh install of webOS 3.0.5 I (I doctored) both ACL and LunaCE 4.9.10 run nicely together. Just got to figure out what app/patch is stopping ACL from working on my main TP.

Go for it anyway, you can always remove it if it doesn't work. There are only 3 (I believe) reported failures according to the PIC forum on the pre-release, so the odds are with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Not sure how or why but my latest re-install of ACL on my main TP has just started to work! I was booted to CM10 all morning and wanted to get back to webOS. Restarted and 'Holy Crap' ACL is running. I didn't do anything to it and it didn't work when I loaded it this morning. 4 hours in CM10 (or something PIC did to their server?) and it mow works :-)

Happy days
    MikeN68:

So you have ACL licensed and working on both TouchPad's, The 4G with 3.0.5 and LunaCE 4.9.10 and the WiFi with 3.0.5 and without Luna CE?

Please confirm.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    MikeN68:

So you have ACL licensed and working on both TouchPad's, The 4G with 3.0.5 and LunaCE 4.9.10 and the WiFi with 3.0.5 and without Luna CE?

Please confirm.
    I can confirm it works on 3.0.5 with stock Luna. Didn't install CE yet so far to try. Will do shortly.
    On Exchange: I only have a outlook.com account that I can test with that has Exchange capabilities but that one seems to act up. I cannot get my corporate one to work (incorrect password while it's 100% correct). If someone has another account for me to test with or can set one up for me to test with, I'm happy to do so.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    MikeN68:

Please confirm.
    I can confirm that ACL is working with LunaCE 4.9.10 on TouchPad Wifi, if it's helpful for you.
    Rnp likes this.
    OK works Can play the MP3 in Pogoplug, couldn't play the MP4 directly but could be due to internet connection. After downloading I could play it without issues in MX Player, attached some screenshots

I will try to get Foxit APK from Play Store because it's not in my Amazon store...
    good thanks.
    did you get a chance to test netflix?
    I assume flash works ok in browsers--ie nbcnews click on any video
    There was a netflix demo video a while back.. Were you wanting something specific checked in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    good thanks.
    did you get a chance to test netflix?
    I assume flash works ok in browsers--ie nbcnews click on any video
    I don't have a Netflix account so cannot test much. NBC News seems to work though. Phxdevices mentioned in the release notes that Flash isn't supported though?
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/17/2013 at 01:13 AM.
    Today some magic happened. Nothing changed on my side except a reboot on my TP 4g with LunaCE 4.9.5 and several Preware patches. And it now works with ACL !!! Still wondering what happened on PIC's side.

Anyway, playing around a bit more.
    This time I had a look with the standard Android ACL browser at my user agent string.
    It came back with something like the following (had to type it over as copy/paste across webOS/Android didn't work, no surprise there though):
    Mozilla 5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; HP Touchpad with ACL Build/GRK39F) Apple webkit 533.1 version 4.0 Mobile Safari. Whatsmybrowser.com also reports that javascript is enabled, flash is not installed and Java is not installed.

in other news :-) notifications seems to be integrated at least to some extend as I got a webOS notification to update the ACL Appmall application.

And yes, it comes with a calendar app, will try to setup to synchronise it with the Exchange server.

to be continued......
    On Exchange: I only have a outlook.com account that I can test with that has Exchange capabilities but that one seems to act up. I cannot get my corporate one to work (incorrect password while it's 100% correct). If someone has another account for me to test with or can set one up for me to test with, I'm happy to do so.
    Just tried to setup the calendar with my corporate Exchange, but while successfull with setup it does 't seem to synchronise. Anyone any other experiences?

BTW Don't like the default calendar at all, prefer the webOS one eyes closed, but just seeing if it works.
    Last edited by renater; 10/17/2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: ACL default calendar app quality
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Just tried to setup the calendar with my corporate Exchange, but while successfull with setup it does 't seem to synchronise. Anyone any other experiences?

BTW Don't like the default calendar at all, prefer the webOS one eyes closed, but just seeing if it works.
    I had a similar problem with my wife's Outlook.com Exchange enabled account. No emails syncing and also no Calendar. Could be my setup as well, I've been playing around with Play Store that might have broken something at my end.
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/17/2013 at 04:28 AM.
  18. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    because ACL is not installed via the AppCatalog, it might be possible that he can use root to access the contact/calendar accounts in webOS.

But I really hope that they are not doing this, at least not with my explicit permission, because I do not want any of my personal data on any Android (or iOS) device!

Going back over the list of pre-installed apps, I didn't see calendar. That was one of the key Exchange items needed as well.
    There is a calendar, but it wanted to have my e-mail and password to connect to Exchange.

But if people do want use the Android calender, perhaps contacts too, a different web-browser, games, ... it might be a much better choice to use Android directly, either with CM9 or a new tablet.
  19. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    and it's really better than the current one, which is really annoying?

But anway after some use, I have to say that ACL really still is beta.

Scrolling and zooming in Firefox or Adobe Reader is not smooth as it should be, the app installation seems to have some bugs while it normally does it's job, starting of apps needs quite long and today, while writing a message in this forum using Firefox, my TouchPad-64 suddenly rebooted.

So the pre-release is fine as beta, but PIC/OM has still to do some work until it is really usable for a handfull apps running besides the webOS "key"-apps. It is understandable, that PIC/OM did not have released to public until now.

So I really would like to see a current browser-engine on webOS, because the integration of an Android-browser via ACL into webOS never will be the same than a native webOS-browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    because ACL is not installed via the AppCatalog, it might be possible that he can use root to access the contact/calendar accounts in webOS.

But I really hope that they are not doing this, at least not with my explicit permission, because I do not want any of my personal data on any Android (or iOS) device!
    That's quite easy to check... does the App ID start with com.palm.? If so, then they have access to about anything.

If not, then probably they have no access to stuff they don't own. To be sure, you can check /etc/palm/permission/com.palm.calendar.calendarevent (for example, there are multiple files). If any of those contain the App ID or at least parts of it. If not, then the db8 should prevent access to the ACL.