Page 51 of 105 FirstFirst ... 414647484950515253545556 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2089
Like Tree1415Likes
    Could today be the day
    aren't we all just waiting ? kind of reminds me of christmas when i was a kid. are we gonna get a present ! ?
    "For the first time ever, you will be able to download and use Android applications on your webOS HP TouchPad."

When???????
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    First time ever? Well, for the average user I guess.
    I keep checking their Kickstarter website, this forum, and their Facebook page hoping to get at least an update from them as to what is going on. Nothing. Did they just take our money and run. Are the Phoenix folks and the Open Mobile folks sitting on a beach somewhere where it is warm drinking away the money we gave them in good faith?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I keep checking their Kickstarter website, this forum, and their Facebook page hoping to get at least an update from them as to what is going on. Nothing. Did they just take our money and run. Are the Phoenix folks and the Open Mobile folks sitting on a beach somewhere where it is warm drinking away the money we gave them in good faith?

Doubt it. They are probably hunkered down in front of their TouchPads in a small room somewhere, each beating the heck out of the Pre-Release version, trying to get the last kinks ironed out before releasing version 1.0 to the public.

That being said, I don't think anyone argues against the point that thay need to provide a status update .....
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/14/2013 at 01:45 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Well they provided an update with their latest "trivia" saying that it would be the last one before a release.... Cannot be much longer I'm sure......

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Ok, I don't know if I'm the best member to say this... keep contact is keep the trust...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    One million dollars question: how much is it for whom didn't support kickstart?
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
    One million dollars question: how much is it for whom didn't support kickstart?
    $30
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    It's here.....but it isn't......
    Quote Originally Posted by james moseley View Post
    aren't we all just waiting ? kind of reminds me of christmas when i was a kid. are we gonna get a present ! ?
    Christmas is on Dec. 24th (in some countries celebrated on Dec. 25th).
    Always.
    And you get the presents on that day.
    Always (except in the sad case when you haven't got friends or family).

This is not christmas, because
    a) you don't have a date and
    b) it is not sure that you will ever get anything...

War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    It's there! Just received the email with download and installation instructions from PIC.

Maybe we need a new thread for the pre-release, but in the meantime, here is some info about the release status and my installation experience below:

As this is a Pre-Release version it will have some new features and enhancements, defects, limitations, and known issues.* Please refer to the Product Release specifications below.
    New Features & Enhancements

<edit 22/10/13: removed on PIC's request>

Update:
    My installation experience:
    - Started install through Preware (downloaded IPK on PC and transferred to Touchpad with WIFI Sharing)
    IPK file is around 50mb
    - Installing took several minutes and other apps choked during install, so best to leave it alone when installing, I figured.
    It went to the following steps:
    - Create and populate 128mb ext3 Android image
    - 1Gb Android factory data reset
    - Dalvik and Android runtime
    At the end of the installation I got a message that my TP4g which has a lot of MP3 was 90% full (under 2Gb left). So make sure you have a couple of GBs left before you start installing.

So I'm now the proud owner of an Android icon on my TP named ACL for webOS Touchpad (v0.5.1-2)

And now reboot!

to be continued......
    Last edited by renater; 10/22/2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: added features and issues with Pre-release and install
    HelloNNNewman, Rnp and pepebuho like this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Hmmm. Got the email - downloaded the ipk and installed with no issue, restarted and . . . cannot get it to start! Keeps telling me I have a failed activation :-(

PHX website isn't sending out an email for my password either so I can't tell them or ask how to get going. Anyone got any ideas?
    No email here yet, this is for kickstarter backers yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Hmmm. Got the email - downloaded the ipk and installed with no issue, restarted and . . . cannot get it to start! Keeps telling me I have a failed activation :-(

PHX website isn't sending out an email for my password either so I can't tell them or ask how to get going. Anyone got any ideas?
    According to the documentation it should auto-license in some way. Don't ask me the details. Tapping the icon opens release documentation on my TP. If that doesn't work and you're part of the pre-release program you should contact PIC to enable your license. Oops, no it doesn't. Forgot to reboot. Same issues as you, no license key. Can only go for 7 days trial..... which doesn't work! Hmm.

BTW As far as I understand is this a limited release of the pre-release version as I subscribed to the pre-release plan in the Kickstarter program (not the beta one).

Now figuring out how to get an Android app installed......

Update: Now I got the preinstalled apps, forgot the reboot

Same license issue as MikeN68 and posted on the PIC support forums.
    Last edited by renater; 10/15/2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: reboot and license issue
    For installing apps: Go to "Settings" then "Applications" and tick the top box to allow installation from other sources (don't remember the exact description).

Then in Android browser go to Amazon.com: Apps for Android and install the Amazon App Store.

From here you can install apps like "APK Installer", "ES File Explorer" etc.

You can side-load APK's (Copy them to your TP over WiFi using "WIFI Sharing" from Preware since USB drive functionality still seems broken with ACL currently (at least when I quickly tested this IPK on a clean Doctored 3.0.5 this morning without LunaCE)) and install them using APK Installer, ES File Explorer or another tool to install your APK's.

Please note I had some issues installing APK's using this method (installation wouldn't complete), but this could be due to my version I was working with. I'm not sure this has been addressed by this version that has been sent to the pre-release backers. My solution was to open any Android app (for example browser), then close it and it would complete the installation cycle of the APK.

As part of an internal test team I tested 50 or so Netherlands specific apps in the last couple of weeks and found 90+% of them working fine with all features as expected. Some weren't installing or crashing, but I need to admit some have a 3.0+ or 4.0+ OS requirement so that's not strange.

I was able to get "Android Market" to work properly using several APK's that are floating around for this (you need 4 different ones for complete framework). "Google Play" I couldn't get to work yet, but could be it was conflicting with Market somehow.
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/15/2013 at 05:22 AM.
    I'm overly excited!! Will one of you pre-release folks please post some pictures and videos? Also, will one of you start a thread with the names of some of the apps you get to run?

I'm a french baker, nothing received up to now...
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm overly excited!! Will one of you pre-release folks please post some pictures and videos? Also, will one of you start a thread with the names of some of the apps you get to run?

If there's any specific apps you want me to test, just post the Google Play links and I'll give them a go. All the ones that are 2.3+ compatible worked for me (and I tested around 50 or so), except for 1 or 2 maybe that crashed in my early version of ACL.